Fire Control

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Name: Fire Control

P/W/C Type: Wisdom, Maybe power, as the enchantments and such often use power as well.

Appearance: No visible change to the controlled fire, and apart from the fire going where desired, no visuals.

Description of Function: User can control any fire within their vicinity, bending it and moving it magically through the air as they will it. The maximum speed of movement is about as fast as a fastball. Neither the user nor any items in their possession can be harmed by the fire they control.

Limitations: Takes three seconds of focus to activate the ability, and can only be used for about five minutes before needing a six hour recharge. Fire can only be controlled out to three meters before it dissipates.
  2. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Fire Control!

So this treasure, frankly, kind of scares some of us because we're not entirely sure what to do with it. As a concept, especially since we have Water Control already, I really want this to be a "thing" so to speak, the question is how to deal with it. For typical elements, (Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, etc.) I think we should be using these "Control" styled treasures as opposed to say Affinities (Light, Dark, Shadow). So let's get to work.

In Water Control we used tiers to separate the increasing ability. Naturally water is much easier to measure than fire is, but I feel like we could use a similar metric with this ability. One of the largest fears with something like this is that someone will light a house on fire and then essentially create Din's Fire, which is still considered a god-tier styled treasure.

For Fire Control, I'm wondering if we could limit the user to sort of... strands of fire, if that makes sense. For example, I could create a rope of fire and wield it like a whip. Additional tiers of Fire Control would increase the number of strands the user could handle. (So at level three, you could maybe have two separate whips of fire as well as... I dunno, shooting fireballs at their target. Similarly, at level one you could make a single fireball at a time, but at the third level you could make three simultaneously)

Furthermore, I think we'd have to put a limitation over this about controlling more fire than say... roughly the size of the user. For example, if you're in the Fire Temple I don't think a person should be able to make a five-cubic-meter box out of pure fire that it could just swing at people (or kind of like the Din's Fire usage). Does that make sense?

Lastly, I think Fire Control users should be able to be hurt by their own fire. Theoretically, if they were truly in 'control' of the fire, then they could shield themselves from it even if it were close, but it would take conscious effort. I think this should be left in there so people don't essentially turn themselves a person completely armored by fire or something, and it'd probably keep the RP a bit more interesting as well.

It's possible that even this could still be too powerful, so don't necessarily consider my word the last one on this. If other mods feel this is still too strong I expect them to speak up and for us to move on accordingly. That said, hope most of this makes sense, so let me know where you're at with it.
  3. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Agreed. Ribs touched on everything I was thinking, and if we leave "strands" vague enough the RP'er wouldn't be the bad kind of limited. As for "would this still be OP," I think we'll have to wait for what we come to to find out.
  4. Tsubori

Only issue with the idea of the fire damaging the user is how are they going to use these whip strands without hurting themselves?
  5. Ribitta

Well like I said, if you're really in control over the fire then theoretically you could push the heat away from you, having the flames burn near you without directly touching you, and so on. Y'know... magic. The difference would be that it does require conscious effort, and the more you had close to you the harder it'd probably be to pull off and such. Mostly it shouldn't change how it works too much but it would mitigate abuse.
  6. Tsubori

Alright then. So what can these "Strands" do? Do they act as actual rope or anything?
  7. Ribitta

On further thought for this, and this is why this treasure has been delayed for so long, I think the staff are moving more in favor of having this stay at single tier, a cheaper treasure, and with only one of these "strands" manipulated at a single time. We'll talk to Squish later about maybe something similar for Water Control, but what we don't want is for this to be the end-all-be-all of Fire Usage, merely the step into the door.

Basically what a "strand" would be would simply be a section of controllable fire of maybe half the size of an average Hylian, or something like that. Once you had that, it'd be pretty much completely manipulable, though you might have some minor restrictions on speed and distance used. You could make a sword, a lance, a projectile, or whatever, although perhaps once it leaves your arm's reach it's a lot more difficult to control.

When people want to create trickier things that either alter the property of fire or change the amount that can be used or summon fire altogether, I think you could make that in additional treasures. This would just cover the general basis for control of the element, while specific and refined techniques would take the place of other treasures.

Does that kind of make sense?
  8. Tsubori

So... If I'm reading this right, this is like the start of a branch system for fire magic? Like... I get Fire control, and I now have access to three more fire spells that augment fire control, with each of those adding more options, ending in a very powerful fire control spell when the user has say... 5 add ons for Fire Control?

I do like the sound of that, actually. It really seems we're establishing more bases in ability hierarchy with these too. You can't just make a new character with Magic proficiency and go "Best spell are belong to me."
  9. Ribitta

Essentially. Extra treasures would amplify the user's control over fire, not necessarily Fire Control itself, but all of this can be pretty much determined by the treasure creators. Similar to Dark Affinity, if someone wanted to make a stronger more niche fire spell that required the user to own Fire Control, that seems kosher to me. You could also go back and suggest changes to previous fire spells if you wanted, and we could deal with that in due process. We may want to further consider the differentiation between like "Specialty: [Fire]" and "User has Fire Control" but that can be worked as we go.
  10. Quill

2/2, if what's been agreed on so far is kept. Tsu, are you fine with all this, before we type up the entry?
  11. Tsubori

I'd rather not make any spells "Must have specialty fire" Because that kind of specialty is useless to anyone with a five in that stat. It's only detrimental. Other than that, you can expect much burning this March :P So.... An hour.
  12. Ribitta

`Fire Control
    Original: Tsubori, Spell -- Utility
    [Alteration], [Fire]

W5: 45 rupees
    W4: 60 rupees
    W3: 90 rupees
    W2: 120 rupees
    W1: 240 rupees

Upon learning Fire Control, the user gains elementary understanding of the manipulation of Fire. Capable of controlling a single, unified body of fire roughly half the mass of an average Hylian, the user may move and shape the fire as they see fit. However, attempting to manipulate this fire at higher rates of speed or further from the user will result in a decrease in control of the element. While this ability grants the user great flexibility with the element, it cannot change the properties of fire nor can it summon it altogether. For increased control, additional treasures may be required that step beyond these preliminary boundaries.
  13. Tsubori

To clarify, do magical flames count for this? As the fires are not summoned, what I'll likely do is have Stjarnstill use Flame breath to create it. Is that legit?
  14. Quill

Yup. Nice way to have one fire spell help another. Accepted.