Fell Transformation

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Spirit Adept, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept New Member reg

I'm intending this to be a major treasure. I know I'm asking for a lot here, so more then any other treasure I've suggested I'm open to edits and change.

Name: Fell Transformation

P/W/C Type: Wisdom

Appearance: Causes the user to transform into a frightening looking creature that is twice the user's normal size. The creature is animalistic looking (which animal and exact appearance is left up to the user) and possesses a glowing weak spot on their face, chest, or tail (if applicable, location of weak spot up to the user). The transformation process takes several seconds and releases a lot of magical energy, which makes the user almost invulnerable while the transformation takes place. If the user has a Power of 4, they may choose to also produce a weapon for their transformed state to wield in addition to their natural weapons such as claws or fangs. User with a Power of 4 may also have a minimum size of ten feet if double their normal size would be smaller then that.

Description of Function: The transformation makes user exceptionally powerful, by increasing their strength and resistance to damage. Magic spells casted during the transformation are stronger as well and enhanced with longer ranges or area of effects.

Limitations: Requires Dark Affinity and any five other dark spells, greatly increases vulnerability to light. While transformed, the user cannot use items or their normal weapons. The user takes damage as normal if attacked where their weak spot is. Light magic is especially effective when used on a weak spot and will stun the user for a moment. Taking too much damage to the weak spot has the potential of ending the transformation prematurely, which will normally last several minutes. When the transformation is over the user is exhausted for moment after they change back and loses all ability to cast spells until they've had a night's rest, a big meal, and some time to meditate and refocus their mind. Possessing the spell causes the user to give off an unsettling aura that puts people on edge when exposed to it, making them suspicious and distrusting of the owner of the spell.
  2. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Wow! I love this. I love how you've described the weaknesses and recovery times especially. Rooted in canon and something to look forward to. I have a couple of suggestions.

I like the intersection with Power in this, but I would prefer it at P3 instead of P4.

I wouldn't increase the weakness to Light in this form, actually, with the exception of the weak spot. I think it would make the weak spot more important in light of the increase in size to the person.

Thoughts?
  3. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I like this. I'm wondering, though, if the bit about the caster being able to choose what animal he morphs into can be changed. This is already rooted in canon, and I'm thinking that maybe giving this a little aLttP lore of "turns the caster into the beast within" may work here. At least the same-animal transformation, anyway. What are your thoughts?
  4. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

Personally I feel the Fell Transformation's form should be limited to a single creature. Different incarnations of the creature's appearance within reason, I suppose, but it should only be a single kind of creature each time.

For example, in the mainstream canon games, Ganondorf only ever transformed into a pig or boar-like creature when he transformed into Ganon. I feel the same limitation should be appropriate.
  5. Spirit Adept

I agree that it should be limited to the same creature with each transformation per person. The form they turn into is representative of the character's personality, and since that doesn't change on a daily basis the transformation would turn into the same thing all the time.

I'm okay with the intersection with Power being P3. And when I said that it increases light vulnerability, I meant that as the standard "Dark spell makes you weak to light" thing. Just like with Ganon, light based attacks won't do much until it hits you right in your weak spot.
  6. Quill

Adding that into the treasure. Also... why Wisdom? This is all about making the character stronger, so maybe it should be Power based? Just a thought.

How's this? There was a lot of stuff; did I forget anything?

`Fell Transformation
    Canon, Spell - ???
    [Dark], [Empowerment], [Transformation]

?5: 75 rupees
    ?4: 100 rupees
    ?3: 150 rupees
    ?2: 200 rupees
    ?1: 250 rupees

Prerequisites to Obtain: Dark Affinity and five other [dark] spells.

The caster may transform into a creature twice his size which represents his inner self. This transformation takes about several seconds to complete and releases so much magical energy that the user is almost invulnerable during the transformation process. While the creature cannot use items or its normal weapons, it is exceptionally powerful, with increased strength and resistance to damage. Additionally, the creature's spells are stronger, and they are enhanced with longer ranges or area of effects.

This animalistic creature possesses a glowing spot on either its face, chest, or tail (if it has one). Any damage to the weak spot would act as if the caster had sustained it in his original form, and light magic is especially effective when cast upon it. Too much damage to the weak spot will end the transformation early, which would normally last up to several minutes. The caster is left exhausted after changing back, and he loses the ability to cast spells until he's had a night's rest, a big meal, and some time to meditate and refocus his mind. Possessing this spell greatly increases the owner's vulnerability to light magic and also causes the owner to give off an unsettling aura that puts people on edge, making them suspicious and distrustful of him.

If the user has a Power of 3 or more: He may choose to produce a weapon for his transformed state in addition to the creature's natural weapons. Regardless of his original size, the caster may transform into a creature with a minimum size of ten feet.
  7. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Still love it. Given that this has more to do with the darkness within a given person rather than specific portion of them, I'm of the mind to make this treasure one of the few that corresponds to the highest stat. The pricing would appear similar to as follows:

P/W/C-5: 75 rupees
    P/W/C-4: 100 rupees

And so on.

Does this work with people?
  8. Quill

Definitely. What about you, Spirit? Also, how's dis?

`Fell Transformation
    Canon, Spell - Defense / Offense
    [Dark], [Empowerment], [Transformation]

PWC 5: 75 rupees
    PWC 4: 100 rupees
    PWC 3: 150 rupees
    PWC 2: 200 rupees
    PWC 1: 250 rupees

Prerequisites to Obtain: Dark Affinity and five other [dark] spells.

The caster may transform into a creature twice his size which represents his inner self. This transformation takes about several seconds to complete and releases so much magical energy that the user is almost invulnerable during the transformation process. While the creature cannot use items or its normal weapons, it is exceptionally powerful, with increased strength and resistance to damage. Additionally, the creature's spells are stronger, and they are enhanced with longer ranges or area of effects.

This animalistic creature possesses a glowing spot on either its face, chest, or tail (if it has one). Any damage to the weak spot would act as if the caster had sustained it in his original form, and light magic is especially effective when cast upon it. Too much damage to the weak spot will end the transformation early, which would normally last up to several minutes. The caster is left exhausted after changing back, and he loses the ability to cast spells until he's had a night's rest, a big meal, and some time to meditate and refocus his mind. Possessing this spell greatly increases the owner's vulnerability to light magic and also causes the owner to give off an unsettling aura that puts people on edge, making them suspicious and distrustful of him.

If the user has a Power of 3 or more: He may choose to produce a weapon for his transformed state in addition to the creature's natural weapons. Regardless of his original size, the caster may transform into a creature with a minimum size of ten feet.
  9. Spirit Adept

Looks good to me. I like the idea that it's based off of your highest PWC stat too, that was a good idea.