Elixir of Visions [Final]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Quill, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

((Builds off Gift of Prophecy))

Name: Potion of Prophecy

P/W/C Type: Wisdom

Appearance: N/A

Description of Function: Normally, a character would need to have the Gift of Prophecy to see the future. However, this potion would allow a non-gifted character a single prophetic vision. The potion would send its drinker into a deep sleep, during which he would have a vision.

Limitations: This potion can only be created by a combination of the Gift of Prophecy and Alchemist: Level 3. A gifted character may work with an Alchemist or be an Alchemist himself, but both are needed to create this potion. One vision per potion, and the drinker will probably not understand all he sees.

((What do you think, too limited in its use? Should the dream be formed by the gifted himself?))
  2. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Re: Potion of Prophecy

It's limited but not so much that it can't be a treasure, I think. I like the idea of fusing the profession with the spell to make it into an item.

[1/2]
  3. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

Re: Potion of Prophecy [1/2]

I'm not really sure how a questionable liquid could be made so potent that you could see the future.

See debilitating hallucinations, sure. The future? Not so much.
  4. Quill

I agree- on his own, an Alchemist wouldn't be able to do this. But an Alchemist working alongside someone who's power it is to see the future, I think, would be alright. The 'how' would probably be best left up in the air, though.

My biggest worry is something else. I know that saying something that may hinder its acceptance, but I wouldn't want it to be passed without consideration. I'm worried that this is too niche to work. I mean, obviously I like it, but like I've said before: I'm biased. What do you think?
  5. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

I feel it is too niche. Rib disagrees, but part of me believes that's because his main character on the site is an alchemist and could make use of it. I personally just don't think it's really fitting to use potions for something along the lines of prophecy and seeing spiritual (and non-hallucinogenic) visions.
  6. Quill

I can respect that, Ardee. Ribs?
  7. Ribitta

But wouldn't my time with the alchemy profession precisely make me an authority on what's useful for it or not? After all, every alchemy-based treasure is going to be niche to a certain degree simply because it requires the profession. I do like this treasure, specifically for the reason that I could see a use for it--not just personally but for the entire craft--and simply because it's specific to a profession doesn't give it grounds for denial.

I still think the pros outweigh the cons for this, though if you'd prefer we could ask Willow's opinion too.
  8. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898

I actually like this treasure, and feel that it does fit, even if it's different from what the standard is. While some of the already existent potions have more mundane/scientific reasons and effects, there are others that are clearly magical, such as Potion of Darknut, Lynel, and Wizzrobe. To me, it doesn't seem like a far cry to say that an alchemist could, for example, take the blood of someone with the treasure Gift of Prophecy, and make a potion of it. But as Quill said, it's probably better to leave it up in the air. But considering already existent potions, I think it's alright.
  9. Quill

Changing this to a more vague, spirit-questy thing.

Name: Elixir of Visions

Appearance: N/A

Description of Function: The inhaler is sent on a spirit-quest, the exact nature of which depends entirely on the person. Perhaps he has some deeply traumatic life experience he needs sorting out; perhaps he has lost his way in life and wishes to find it again; perhaps he wishes to catch a glimpse of what the future may hold. Regardless of the reason, inhaling the fumes of this mixture will send him on a spirit-quest from which he cannot be woken until it has reached its conclusion.

Limitations: Requires at least a level 3 Alchemist to brew.
  10. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Re: Elixir of Visions [1/2]

This looks good now, after discussing it. 2/2
  11. Quill

Re: Elixir of Visions [1/2]

`Elixir of Visions
    Original: Quill, Magic Tier - Utility
    [Empowerment], [Profession], [Stock]

W5: 15 rupees
    W4: 30 rupees
    W3: 50 rupees
    W2: 75 rupees
    W1: 100 rupees

Prerequisite to Obtain: Alchemy Level 3

The person who imbibes this brew is sent on a spirit quest, the exact nature of which depends entirely on the person. Perhaps he has some deeply traumatic life experience he needs sorting out; perhaps he has lost his way in life and wishes to find it again; perhaps he wishes to catch a glimpse of what the future may hold. Regardless of the reason, imbibing this mixture will send him on a spirit-quest from which he cannot be woken until it has reached its conclusion. Purchasing this treasure gives the Alchemist the elixir's recipe, which functions essentially as a Stock.
  12. Ribitta

Finished. It was a not-very-fun-month, March