Dissonance

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Quill, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Name: Dissonance

P/W/C Type: Courage (?)

Appearance: N/A

Description of Function: The character may use any instrument to play a lingering melody so dissonant and foul that anyone who hears it will be extremely uncomfortable and find it very hard to concentrate. This is especially effective on characters who have purchased any [Music] treasures, and even more so with characters who have the Specialty: [Music] treasure.

Limitations: This treasure does not differentiate between friend and foe unless the character has Specialty: [Music].
  2. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

So, um... basically this is extremely bad music-playing? Not sure if that's worthy of being a treasure...
  3. Quill

Maaaagical bad music-playing. :P

But lolz aside. Normal dissonance is only a mild discomfort to anyone who isn't an actual musician. The purpose of this treasure is to be extremely uncomfortable and greatly distracting, no matter the level of musical proficiency.
  4. Quill

Upon further reflection, I've realized that RD's right. Discomfort isn't really enough to be a treasure, and what I posted above isn't enough. So, I've decided to crank this up to crippling pain, which definitely isn't what a normal bad-music-playing is capable of.

RD, is that better?
  5. Rising Dragon

Define the crippling pain we're talking about. Popped ears, aural bleeding, what?
  6. Quill

I was thinking the kind of pain that makes it very difficult to concentrate on anything other than yourself. I hadn't really seriously thought about bleeding ears, but if you think it'd fit, sure :)
  7. Rising Dragon

Alright then. I suppose this could work now. [1/2]
  8. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

You say this doesn't differentiate between friend and foe without specialty: [Music] but I'm assuming it would not affect the users themselves?
  9. Quill

This would not affect the player himself, only everyone else in earshot.

Now, it was brought to my attention that one of the major perks of the Minstrel profession is being able to "aim" the spells. I'd rather not undermine that, so I'd like to remove the "if player has Specialty: [Music]" clause.

Still need help with the virtue, though.

Name: Dissonance

P/W/C Type: ?

Appearance: N/A

Description of Function: The character may use any instrument to play a lingering melody so dissonant and foul that anyone within earshot will be subjected to crippling pain. This is especially effective on characters who have purchased any [Music] treasures, and even more so with characters who have the Specialty: [Music] treasure or a Profession geared towards music.

Limitations: This treasure does not differentiate between friend and foe, but it will not harm the player.
  10. Ribitta

Most music is put at Courage, but this is a bit different than that. If it's not going to be Courage, I would probably say Power. It's a bit brutish and not particularly elegant. While Power treasures don't have to be either of those, it seems more fitting for Power than either of the other two.
  11. Quill

That makes sense to me.
  12. Ribitta

1/2 from me
  13. Rising Dragon

Approved. [2/2]
  14. Quill

How's this?

`Dissonance
    Original: Quill, Technique - Offense
    [Disable], [Music]

P5: 30 rupees
    P4: 55 rupees
    P3: 70 rupees
    P2: 100 rupees
    P1: 150 rupees

The character may use any instrument to create sounds so dissonant and foul that anyone within earshot will be subjected to crippling pain. These disharmonious sounds are especially painful to the ears of anyone who has experience with music; people who have purchased any [Music] treasures or who possess Specialty: [Music] or have any profession geared towards Music will find this dissonance so excruciatingly painful that it takes an effort not to pass out.