Dark Bolt

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Spirit Adept, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept New Member reg

Name: Dark Bolt

P/W/C Type: Wisdom

Appearance: A thin black bolt of electricity that travels from the user's weapon to the target. If the user has a Wisdom of 4 or more, the spell can be fired from the hand instead of a weapon.

Description of Function: An easy to cast spell that mildly electrocutes the target. Not as powerful as regular attack spells (such as Fire or Ice) but can be casted more often. Is very painful to be hit by despite the lack of damage.

Limitations: Requires Dark Affinity. Increases user's vulnerability to light magic. Causes the user to take more damage from electricity based attacks and are more likely to be stunned by them.

Description (open)
    The user points their weapon at the target and fires a thin black bolt of electricity at them. While not as damaging as other offensive spells, dark bolt is easy to cast and requires little magic meaning it can be fired every couple of seconds if the user so chooses. Despite the lack of punch, the spell is extremely painful to be hit by.

Possessing the magic necessary to cast dark bolt makes the user vulnerable to electric based attacks in turn. Such attacks will do more damage and have a higher chance of stunning the user. As with all dark magic spells, possessing the spell gives the owner a slight vulnerability against light magic and enhancements that increases as they learn more dark spells.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

My initial, preliminary impression is that this is good. I do think that this needs more of a time restriction, though; it may lack a forceful punch, but the "extremely painful to be hit by" doesn't work well with the "can be cast every couple seconds." I just have this flash of the Sith Emperor spamming Force Lightening on Luke, that's all.
  3. Spirit Adept

Hehe, fair enough. My intention was that with most spells, there's a bit of a cool down on them like half a minute or so. That means a fight with a spell caster is casting a spell and then running around for a bit while the spell recharges.

What if I removed the bit about the spell being exceptionally painful? That way it's just a weaker spell that can be used more often?
  4. Quill

I think that you can either decrease the effect of the spell or increase the time lag. It's up to you. Remember, though, that mages aren't likely to just runs round and wait for a minute to pass; they've probably got other spells up their sleeves. When writing these, remember how other treasures will be working alongside these. Which you do anyway, but still :P

Oh, and because I haven't mentioned this in the others... when you make changes to a treasure, please be sure to post the new version and not edit the original post. It makes things easier for us. Thanks!
  5. Spirit Adept

Let's try this for a spin then.

Appearance: A thin black bolt of electricity that travels from the user's weapon to the target. If the user has a Wisdom of 4 or more, the spell can be fired from the hand instead of a weapon.

Description of Function: An easy to cast spell that mildly electrocutes the target. Not as powerful as regular attack spells (such as Fire or Ice) but can be casted more often.

Limitations: Requires Dark Affinity. Increases user's vulnerability to light magic. Causes the user to take more damage from electricity based attacks and are more likely to be stunned by them.
    Description (open)
    The user points their weapon at the target and fires a thin black bolt of electricity at them. While not as damaging as other offensive spells, dark bolt is easy to cast and requires little magic meaning it can be fired every couple of seconds if the user so chooses.

Possessing the magic necessary to cast dark bolt makes the user vulnerable to electric based attacks in turn. Such attacks will do more damage and have a higher chance of stunning the user. As with all dark magic spells, possessing the spell gives the owner a slight vulnerability against light magic and enhancements that increases as they learn more dark spells.
  6. Quill

I'm wondering if this still has a forceful impact. You say it's not as strong as the other spells, and I'm wondering where this is aimed at. The mildly electrocution part is clear; and good, I think. It's clear that the electrocution isn't as strong as Arcane Bolt, so I'm wondering if that phrase means that it delivers only a weak punch or something.
  7. Spirit Adept

It imparts insignificant force on the target, it wouldn't push them back or anything. I imagine it being similar to when Link gets hit by a smaller attack in the 3D games like a Keese or something. He takes damage, you here him yell out in pain, but his movement isn't changed at all. The only way this would impair someone is if the target is so damaged that another tiny strike will incapacitate them.
  8. Quill

Alright, so I'm thinking it would help this treasure's clarity if we removed those bits about "not as damaging as the others" and stuff. Just don't even mention any kind of force or knock back if it doesn't have any. Keep the 'mildly electrocution' bit, though, that helps.
  9. Spirit Adept

Understood. Here's a reposting then.

Let's try this for a spin then.

Description of Function: An easy to cast spell that mildly electrocutes the target. Can be casted in quick succession.

Description

Description (open)
    The user points their weapon at the target and fires a thin black bolt of electricity that mildly electrocutes them. Dark bolt is easy to cast and requires little magic meaning it can be fired every couple of seconds if the user so chooses.

10. Quill

I'm worried that this is going to be overshadowed by Arcane Bolt. It looks like there are only two things separating this from it; Dark Bolt is weaker and it can be casted in quick succession. (Also, I thought that Dark spells were supposed to be stronger than normal ones?) Even if the "extremely painful" clause was brought back, it could be passed under DA's effect of dark-ifying spells.

Aside from the rapid-succession bit, there's not much reason to buy this, even for a dark-user (unless they were on a gotta-catch 'em all mission). I'm open to discussion on it, but I think that if you want a Dark Bolt (which isn't a bad idea) it should be clearly different than the others. Otherwise, this risks being overshadowed by Arcane Bolt.

What are your thoughts?
  11. Spirit Adept

I would have to agree with you, now that I look at it like that. Go ahead and give this one the axe for now, in the future I might have a better idea for it.
  12. Quill

Alright. I'll move this to the Unaccepted Subforum. If you ever want to bring this back, just let me know and I'll undo the move.