Curse of Time Passed

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Ribitta, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Name: Curse of Time Passed
    P/W/C Type: Fixed price, non-scaling
    Appearance: Open to interpretation. It would appear magical in nature, though how subtle is up to the RPer.
    Description of Function: You may find this to be a... different styled treasure. This spell is not wielded by the owner. Purchasing it allows them to use it in their roleplay thread a single time, likely cast by an enemy, discovered on accident in a tome, or stumbled across as a trap. The Curse of Time Passed curses the character's body, permanently changing their age. Characters under this effect may find themselves noticeably older or younger.
    Limitations: One time use. The age changed to is not up to the character (though obviously up to the roleplayer). If a RPer wishes to reverse the age of their character, they will have to buy it once more.

Suggested entry below:
    Suggested Treasure Entry (open)

`Curse of Time Passed
    Borderline-canon, Spell - Utility
    [Alteration], [Magical], [Single-Use], [Time], [Transformation]

150 rupees

A character cannot wield this spell; they may only come into contact with it. Whether cast by an enemy, found in a dusty tome, sprung as a trap, or something else, a Curse of Time Passed will strike at the character, cursing their body. When the character comes to, they will find their body's age permanently altered, making them older or younger--sometimes dramatically so. While the curse does not affect it directly, a character may also find an altered mentality, their personality or mindset changed along with the physical state of their body. Once encountered, this spell is gone forever, and if a character wishes to regain their age they will have to find it once more.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

This treasure is awesome, and I'm down with the standard it sets. More RP plot bunnies bouncing arounds. We may have to introduce a new type- Passive Treasures- or something, if enough like these are made. I'm wondering about the price, though- 150r takes a while to build up to, and to do it twice is a really long character arc, when you think about how long a typical thread takes. Maybe we could bring it down a bit? What do you think?
  3. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

It's not the end of my world if the price needs to change, but I guess I may as well explain my rationale for making it as high as I did.

I chose 150 rupees because it, roughly, represents three RPs. Whereas one or two RPs might be breaking the surface, by the third RP with a consistent goal, you can begin to see some more serious character development. The main thing I wanted here was for this to be a serious, planned decision, not just something you do because you had leftover rupees.

I think this goes doubly for the idea of repurchasing it, though. If buying it once is a big deal, I would hope getting it again would be a bigger deal. I don't want to really view the treasure as "300 rupees for a round trip" type of deal. In a lot of situations, I would even hope that changing the age could be a truly permanent change to the character--not simply the beginning of a story arc that ends when you buy it again. By making it expensive to obtain and expensive to repeal, I'd hope to elevate the gravity of the decision.

The other thing, too, and maybe this is just me speaking from a modding perspective, is that the LoT is kind of lacking on expensive treasures and long term goals. Not everyone wants to do a profession, not everyone wants to purchase a huge Residence or Mount treasure, so I was hoping this might provide a different taste for the RPer to seek after; something to save and work toward.
  4. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Fine by me. [1/2]
  5. Fcgfyv

Fcgfyv Knight of Mind reg

I'm interested to see how this will be used. :yomp: [2/2]