Curse of the Living (Major treasure)

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Razgriz, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Name: Curse of the Living

PWC type: None (P if pressed)

Cost: 100-150 rupeese

Appearance: N/A

Description: The cursed individual is doomed to survive, through just about everything the world can throw at him; forced to watch as loved ones, friends, buildings and even the very ideas around him crumble. The curse renders him immune to diseases, poison and other curses that would kill him. The character will immediately cease aging, though they will not revert to a previous age; unless they are cursed before their prime, in which case they will cease aging at their prime. Otherwise the curse will cause the character to get unnaturally 'lucky' when it comes to surviving injuries: collapsing buildings will form a coffin-like 'pocket' around them, an arrow barrage will miss any vital organs (or more likely, those arrows would be blocked by a friend), wounds tend to only bleed to the brink of death never past, etc.

Limitations: The curse offers no protection to the mind of the character and often acts as a detriment to their allies. ALL attempts at suicide fail, regardless of the redundancies and measures they put in place. The curse will not prevent any pain or suffering on behalf of the cursed, and in fact has a tendency to magnify it. Lastly, it will not protect against any injury which would result in certain death (ie. a pierced heart will still bleed out, a crushed skull will still cause instant death, etc.)
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Seems a little god-tier to me, and I'm iffy on whether this would fit into a Zelda setting. That's just my first reaction, though; maybe someone else has different thoughts.
  3. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

This is essentially invulnerability with angst attached to it. This will not be passed.
  4. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

While I appreciate the sentiment behind this, related to plot devices and character development, the unfortunate reality is that the RP isn't over the time-span for that to really be effective. Even if it were, though, this is still in essence a god-tier treasure and can't be passed, even including the restrictions. By its very nature, I am forced to agree with R.D. on this one.
    Bitoko likes this.
  5. Fcgfyv

Fcgfyv Knight of Mind reg

My biggest concern is how certain death will remain certain death, although trying to achieve it is impossible. I also agree that this should not be passed.
  6. Razgriz

Maybe I'm thinking too meta-game in this but aside from the poison/disease immunity, and un-aging thing; nothing in this treasure does anything that creative writer with an attachment to their character can't. Survival possibilities get realized, that's about it. To use the collapsed building example: there's no reason that another character without the curse can't survive the exact same way. Nor does it provide an extreme amount of protection; a severed arm won't grow back or reattach, it's just that the character probably won't die from the shock or blood loss. Nor does this really help in combat, they are still fully capable of being injured and are no harder to injure, knock out, capture, etc. ONLY kill, and even then there must be some reasonable way that they'll survive (Like another combatant attacking the attacker)

Really, it's simply license to NOT kill your character. I just don't see how this is as powerful as everyone makes it out to be.
  7. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

If all of this treasure is capable without this treasure (save for the immunity and un-aging) then what is the point to it? You're in control of your character regardless, and you control if it dies or not. This becomes too powerful in the fact that it basically turns any race in to a Kokiri. It makes you immortal, just like an Elf in Lord of the Rings, and it isn't something that necessarily belongs in a Zelda RP. Plus, it is rather powerful in the fact that it makes you invulnerable, and is somewhat pointless.

You don't need a License to not kill your character, you already have that. You're character isn't going to age in the RP anyway, as that's how RP's usually work.
  8. Razgriz

You guys keep saying that it makes it invulnerable, but I've clarified at least twice that it doesn't. I don't really know what you mean because it does NOT make your character invulnerable; please rephrase so I know what you mean.

If the main problem past that is the un-aging thing, than I'm willing to remove that outright.

As for the treasure's point, it allows a more long term justification for survival: Ie. how someone could get injured so often but never actually die from their wounds, how a character could with no survival training or experience could survive years in the wilderness alone, etc.
  9. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Toko has already explained why this won't work. Making a treasure that only covers what RP'ers do anyway (have their characters survive against great odds) is pointless, and it's also very powerful when taken by itself. I appreciate you removing the immortality clause, but this still won't be passed. What I don't appreciate is this new trend of you fighting us over every little thing. It doesn't look good to new members; nobody wants to join a site with so much drama. We're not here to ruin your day, we're here to make the RP, and the site as a whole, a more enjoyable place. It's my hope that you'll work with us to achieve that goal, rather than against us. It's not us vs. you, Raz, or mods vs. members. We're all here for the same reason: to have fun. Let's stop fighting and do that, yeah?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.