Crafting Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ribitta, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Many of you know we've been taking a closer look at Crafting. It's long since been a problem in many different outlets, and we decided that this month was the time to deal with it. Our edits are done primarily to give you guys more access to crafting as well as give you something that's, well, worth your money.

The Original Problem
    To be more specific, what we're talking about here are General and Specific Crafting professions. These were originally designed by Guy to allow anyone to become a Jewelcrafter or a Swordsmith or whatever. The issue is that half of the treasure focused on price reduction treasures in their field. (Ex. I'm a blade maker. All blade treasures can be bought at a discount, depending on my level. Only... there are no blade treasures)

We found people were only investing in these professions because of the allure of crafting. Unfortunately it would take people some 10 RPs to get all levels of the profession, and it would cost me 590 rupees! No one has ever gotten a level 10 profession, and that's a lot of work just to craft some stuff...

Our Solution
    In response to this, we have eliminated the two universal crafting profession entirely and turned it into a treasure. This treasure can instead be bought 3 times for 50 rupees each, allowing users to have the equivalent of a level 10 General Crafting profession for only 150 rupees. Our hope is that this largely opens up the frontiers for people who wanted to experiment with crafting more.

The Effects of This
    So obviously this has a lot of effects besides just opening up some opportunities. It also closes some doors. Let me try and run through the important ones:
    • Specific Crafting has been removed. This means that at a maximum you may only craft 3 materials into one treasure at a time, which was the max for General Crafting. The reason for this is because the original purpose of Specific vs. General crafting was that what you gained through materials you lost through your price reduction. (A blacksmith could get a reduction on more items than a swordsmith) But because crafting is the only thing at stake now, we've reduced them to the same levels.
    • If you had one of the professions before, these are also gone now. Please make a post in your character sheets that apply. The number of rupees you put into professions will be instantly refunded in the form of Quest Rupees, which may be spent immediately. Once you finish your next Quest with the character, they become normal rupees.
    • The new crafting system does not give you bonus rupees for completing quests. Feel free to sell your goods to other characters who want them, though.
    • There is a new pricing system for crafting. Instead of going through that mumbo-jumbo about calculating weight per bar and all that stuff, each material can be added to whatever you're crafting and apply the effect to the entire thing, unless otherwise specified. Furthermore, every item crafted requires a base charge in addition to the prices of the materials.

Notes Concerning Materials Themselves
    We've put off grading new materials in Treasure Creation until now, because we wanted to know how to deal with them as best we could. Materials that were cheaper (but needed in abundance) should rise up to a higher price to reflect the need to only purchase them once per item crafted. We may also find the need to strength or weaken some materials as time goes on, depending on how things play out.

As of this update, however, Goron Iron is no longer mixable with any other materials. We've resolved that the uniqueness of the material doesn't make a lot of sense to allow mixing, and most people were trying to use it for things that they shouldn't have been.

We look forward to seeing what you guys come up with through crafting, and if you have any questions concerning this update (preferably besides 'you ruined all my plans, how dare you') then feel free to drop them below here.

Thanks,
    Ribs
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

This has been entered into the Library, but just so it's all in one place...

`Crafting
    Canonical, Ability - Utility

50 Rupees Per Level

No item made through Crafting may have more than three [Material] treasures in it at once.

There are three levels to this treasure. Upon purchasing the first, the user may craft items with a total of one [Material] in the specified area of Crafting chosen, such as Blacksmith or Tailor. Upon purchasing the second, the user may craft items with a total of two [Material] treasures into the specified area of Crafting chosen for the first level of Crafting. Upon purchasing the third, the user may craft items with a total of three [Material] treasures into the specified area of Crafting chosen for the first and second levels of Crafting. Crafting using a [Material] treasure requires a base price of 30 rupees in addition to the price of the individual [Material] treasures.
  3. Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept New Member reg

Oooh, I like this. Definitely makes crafting more accessible. I do have one question though, is there a limit on what level of crafting an NPC can have? If we wanted a sword with three materials in it, for example, could we meet an NPC blacksmith who can do it or does that have to be done by a player character?
  4. Quill

Player-character.
  5. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I love this. It keeps the crafting simple and yet more accessible and attractive. I am confused on one thing though. Maybe I'm just being stupid or I read too quickly, but there's two things in Ribs' explanation that I'd like to put up against each other...

At a first glance, these seem to contradict each other. The former implies that the material must be bought every time it's used in crafting, while I read the second as 'buy the material and it's added to your inventory as a [stock] kind of treasure.'

Am I misreading the second statement?
  6. Quill

I think the second part means that some of the more common [Material] treasures may become Stock treasures, or there may be future [Material] treasures which are Stock. Single-Use [Material] treasures which are used in Crafting would vanish from the user's inventory.

Here's an example of how this would work.

7. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Ahhh, I see. So basically you're just paying a set price for the material no matter how many lbs of it you use, but barring exceptions you have to pay for every instance in which it is used.

Thanks for clearing that up. It makes sense, it's simple, it doesn't need maths in a system I'm not used to, I like it. I'd give you a stamp of approval if that were relevant.
  8. Ribitta

You're right, that was confusingly written. Edited it for clarification, but Quill/BP are correct in final understanding. Edits are as follow:

Glad you guys like this so far, it definitely makes me excited to maybe finally do things with crafting we weren't able to do before.
  9. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Ummmm, you guys do that know this means someone can pretty much start with full crafting right? Doesn't that kind of go against the purpose if anyone can just throw together a character, run one quick RP and have a blacksmith that can outfit all their other characters with the best weapons, armor, ammunition, tools etc.?

Two other things though, One: I take the extra rupees are removed from crafting? if so are they also removed from the other professions as well?

and Two: if we're upgrading a treasure (Say adding goron Iron to a mirror sheild) do we still need to pay the base cost?
  10. Ribitta

To the first point, yes, this is intentional. The bonuses a person can get from crafting have never warranted the amount of a journey you would have to make to reach the items. If someone wants to sacrifice all of their starting rupees to begin crafting to level 2, they can. Once you craft a full 3-material item you're in about 250 rupees or so, at least, which is still a lot.

To the second question:
    Other professions still generate revenue.

To the third question:
    We'll consider that, though for now crafting is limited to meddling with common-tier items. This shouldn't be a huge deal considering the number of magic-tier items you might add materials to is already small, but for the future it's not out of the question.
  11. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Sorry to be a nuisance, but another question came up: Hypothetically, could you take two different fields of crafting? As in, could I purchase crafting [blacksmith] 1, but the second time I get Crafting it's not Crafting [Blacksmith] 2, but Crafting [Tailor] 1? Or am I limited to one field per character?
  12. Ribitta

This is a really good question, actually.

The answer is yes, you may have more than one form of crafting at a time. You could be a tailor, a blacksmith, a carpenter, and a jewelcrafter all at once, if it fit the character. It would just cost you 200 rupees collectively for all those at level 1.
  13. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

A few questions. Firstly, are Business deku given anything extra for crafting? Second off, are people bound to one area pretty much screwed if they can't reasonably learn crafting themselves and if one of the blacksmiths isn't near them? For example, there are no blacksmiths in Zora's domain, and characters like Kasumi, Thria and Triton are pretty much always there, barring a few small exceptions. Do they have to make a two month trip to get to the PCs, considering how there are only maybe 4 Zora characters, and none have plans to get crafting.
  14. Ribitta

For Business I'll look into having that changed. I would say you could apply that 50 rupee waiver normally applied to Level 1 of a profession could also be applied to Level 1 of Crafting, if that makes sense.

For the second part, this functions exactly like it always has. If it only makes sense to travel to HCT to learn blacksmithing then yes, like before, you would need to go there to learn it. If you want to coordinate with a PC who has crafting, then that's between the two of you. If they wouldn't be traveling to Zora's Domain, then yeah you'd probably have to go to them. You're only as "screwed" as anyone has ever been regarding collecting treasures or moving forward in professions.
  15. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Ok, I have a question, is Alchemy fall under the crafting treasure or a profession? I mean, it's sole purpose is to make potions, poisons, etc. (aside from bonus rupees) but the library treasures are set up so that it needs to be used like a profession.
  16. Quill

Alchemy is unaffected; it's still a Profession.