Compaction pouch cost?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Tsubori, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Okay guys, something that I was looking at in the library that seems REALLY flawed is the comparative description for, and prices for compaction pouches. I believe this issue has been brought up before, but it really does have to get changed. Let's start with the evidence.

"The Compaction Pouch was invented decades ago by a renowned sage, and has since become one of the most common treasures amongst the average Hylian populace, as it can be reproduced rather easily and is useful for almost anyone."

Okay. What do we get from that? 
    -Extremely common
    -Even those that are among the average have them (this is an important one)
    -Can be made very easily, and by connection probably cheaply.

Now let's look at the prices. 

W5: 60 rupees
    P5 or W4 or C5: 80 rupees
    P4 or W3 or C4: 120 rupees
    P3 or W2 or C3: 160 rupees
    P2 or W1 or C2: 320 rupees

Okay, now... Let's go back to the second point on the above list. The common, average riff raff have this treasure. This begs one of two questions. Who is monopolizing them in the anti-Player Character stores? Or where the hell are common peasants getting 320 or 160 rupees, depending on their race and background? 

As a small side note, it should be mentioned that powder keg supply is actually cheaper than compaction pouches. Yes, an infinite supply of the mighty nuke of Zelda costs less than the bag Link puts his stuff in.

Either way, this REALLY need to be looked at, so I thought I'd drag it into the spotlight. 
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

As usual, your "suggestion" feels more like a criticism... and is filled with unnecessary hyperbole...

Anyway, "extremely common" is a bit an overstatement, as is expecting "common peasants" to have any treasures. When the library was made, at least, it was assuming most average joes didn't walk around knowing spells and using magical eyeglasses to see through illusions. Furthermore, your argument neglects to mention Powder Keg Supply is a major treasure, which in of itself is an effective "since you can only have so many of these [major treasures], lets make this ridiculously powerful treasure affordable for you." You know, considering they're basically big, unwieldy bombs with a bit more punch.

This is all disregarding the fact that the metric of "rupees" used in the Library of Treasures is little more than an abstraction made to attempt balance treasures for PCs, rather than provide a 1:1 ratio with how much a typical NPC could spend on one in a marketplace. (The change from quest-rupees to experience points (or something) will hopefully amend that to some extent.)

That said, I have stated at least twice before that I was planning to make a compaction pouch cheaper as one of dozens of intended changes to the library, when adad finished the new format for the library (assuming that will actually happen sometime within the next two months... though supposedly he's almost done with it). I would prefer to make most of these changes at once, largely because certain players may have to adjust, and I'd rather they need to adjust only once. Thanks for bringing it up again, but an immediate change is something I would only consider if someone had immediate need for it.
  3. Tsubori

Sorry for coming across as hostile, Guy... I have a couple issues and it doesn't make pointing things out easy for me, so I assure you it wasn't my intention. And okay, I haven't been there to see any of the mentions of this, so I wasn't aware of when you said you'd be changing it. On a side topic, it's going to be the reward for a solo I'm starting today (hence why I was looking at it, only to find out it couldn't be afforded) so what would you suggest for that? Start the RP with just rupees as the reward and change it if the change is made by the end?
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Yes, that can work. If adad still hasn't finished reformatting the library by the time you're (almost) done, then I'll make those immediate changes. (I'm thinking it would probably just gain a static cost of around 60r, regardless of PWC, except perhaps costing a bit less for a P4 or P5 character.)
  5. Tsubori

Well the character in question is my P5 Kikwi xD Thanks for responding and sorting that out, Guy
  6. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Sure thing. Assuming the new library actually happens, it's already listed as:
    P5: 40xp
    P4: 50xp
    P3: 60xp
    P2: 60xp
    P1: 60xp

So, it should now be something not overly affordable, but still capable of being picked up in a single quest. Of course, the effects remain the same.