Common Grounds RP area

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Ribitta, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

So I've been wondering for a while if there'd be a way to take the love we've seen for classic dungeons and translate them into the main RP.

The idea of clearing our favorite dungeons from the games would be really hard to translate into the canon of the main RP, but I think one of the big reasons (and I could be wrong) is that there's a certain freedom where people can just go, "Yeah, sure let's go RP" because you can do it without worry where you characters are or if they're in a quest or whatnot.

With that in mind, I'd propose the concept of say a "Common Grounds" area, one per zone. It could be large and open such as HCT, or could it be more narrow like a certain bar found in HCT, whatever people found more interesting.

There would be two restrictions I think you'd have to make for it work, though:

1. You would need it be restricted to a zone. If this is going to be done largely with the idea of character building, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for Southern Hyrule characters to be building up their stories and personalities in castle town.

2. It would need to be separated from the quest system by nature. You could make it so you simply don't get rupees for RPing there, or you could do a nominal amount of 10-20 rupees much like the classic dungeon system sees.

I don't think it would be too much of a stretch or would break any sort of continuum too hard for the main RP, and it'd be an interesting, non-committal way to pass the time between quests or even just when waiting for your RP partner to post.

I'd really love other people's input on this, though.
  2. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

What do you mean when you say a zone? Does that mean that suddenly Southern RPers are in Castle Town? Or would you have it so that there is a zone for North and South? Explain a little further please. :D
  3. Ribitta

I was thinking more along the lines of a child forum in each of the major RPing zones, or maybe just North and South Hyrule. They would be separated from each other, so yeah, no characters in North Hyrule suddenly appearing in the South. I suppose you'd want to move the archives of their respected section back to the official archives area, but I don't think it would be too much of a hassle.
  4. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

I like having the archives where they are, it helps show how many roleplay posts have been done in each area. We can figure something out though.
  5. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Soooooo basically, everyone gets one additional roleplay thread in a separate forum with no rewards?

. . . Why don't we just let them make a second main roleplay thread with no rewards in the same forum. To prevent confusion, they could even have to put something in the title specifying it's a separate roleplay thread.

And if anyone argues continuity problems, wouldn't this be the exact same, just not in a separate forum? When it takes place could be up to the member, of course.

And I like where the Archives are now too, yeah.
  6. Ribitta

Not just one additional roleplay--you could have as many as you wanted. I'm not fiercely devoted to making it a separate zone, though, so whatever works best.
  7. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

That could work too. The only possible problem is there would be a lot of threads, but I don't see that as a PROBLEM, it just means people are roleplaying a lot(or trying to anyway), which is definitely a plus.
  8. Guy

Guy Admin admin

...I've always advocated that players should have the ability to be in multiple role-plays at once. I mean, what's the harem in it? But for as long as I can remember, Bitoko has blatantly and adamantly insisted that one character can only be in one place, despite the fact that we've long been one of the seemingly few RP sites to insist this ruling rather than make it an option.

- This assumes that all of one's RP threads are in chronological order (which is dumb).
    - This needlessly caps the amount of activity one player can produce (which is dumb), unless they decide to make two dozen characters THEN IT'S PERFECTLY OKAY (which is even dumber).
    - This prevents players from participating in many past events which were location-centric (which is dumb; and even dumber that Bitoko and others continued to make such RPs).
    - Several times, players have become inactive just because they were stuck in a role-play with someone who wasn't posting (which infuriates me).
    - As far as I can see, the only downside to having one character in a limited number of different active threads is... there's a fear that character will become overpowered, I guess (because having two dozen characters is total legit). Or maybe because a childish mind can't comprehend the notion that role-play threads need not be in chronological order?

Back when no one gave a shit about what I said, before I single-handedly developed the majority of systems of HS, MS, and HC and became known as an above-average role-player, I insisted that this change. Bitoko was even more foolishly adamant back then, and listened to even fewer people then than he's known to do these days...

Needless to say, I was forced to accept it as it was. I suppose, subconsciously, I've been working around that notion for a long time now. With this thread brought up, however... I'm once again beginning to think it should change, even if only with separate "shadow threads" waiting to become "real threads" for the same character.

Tl;dr -- This seems like a good idea.
  9. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

I agree with this idea :3

I've always wanted to be able to just have a social that doesnt stop my characters from growing. For example, I want to have a social with HAREON members, but that'd mean that while this social is going on, nobody can do a mission. Me gusta. Proceed.
  10. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    What Guy said. I don't see any prosititutes with this.

I mean problems.
  11. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    This is actually a pretty existent example. We want to introduce some new HAREON PCs, but the others kinda don't want to leave me out and that means Ilona has to be free, IE I have to rush my solo along which would make it less enjoyable for me.

An additional slot for the main RP, even if it gave no rewards, would solve that issue. Needless to say, I'm for this.
  12. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    I like it. Being able to have more openings to socialize and what not would certainly make our lives easier and open up the way for more character development.