Combining Metals(?)

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Razgriz, May 2, 2012.

1. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

What are the rules for combining the various special metals in the Library? As of now it seems as though it can be done, just by paying the cost for the two (or more) metals, and without compromise of their effects. To me this makes some sense but I was wondering if there were any extra costs or lessening of their effects, or if it's not possible at all. For clarity this is supposed to include the plates of power and others like it.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

How would you do this? I mean, what are we talkin' here? Mixing two special materials into one mixture and expecting it to have both effects, what?
  3. Razgriz

Say I wanted a mace that is both as resilient as Goron Iron, and have the full effects of Lanayru Copper; would I simply pay 40 rupees (10 for a brick of Goron Iron, 30 for a brick of Lanayru Copper) for my 10 lb mace, now with the full effect of both metals? Would there be additional costs? or would that simply not be possible?
  4. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I found this in the Library:

Alright, so about that bolded/underlined part. No, I'm not saying that your character is a blacksmith or a crafter or anything like that. But, unless I'm very much mistaken, this shows that it is not against the rules to have a weapon imbued with multiple [Material] treasures. [Material] treasures being, of course, Lanayru Copper, Goron Iron, etc.

So, yes, that sounds about right. At first, I was tempted to write that you should halve the prices for each material (if you're putting two in), since only half of each is required, but then I remembered; they don't sell half bricks. So, I guess we consider the other half a donation to the local blacksmith or something.

You would be able, then, to buy a mace with multiple properties by buying the full cost of each material. Now, if you try to mix two contradicting materials, like Lanayru Copper and Cold Iron, we might have a problem, but otherwise you should be fine. Unless Eev or Will say otherwise, of course. :U
  5. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Quill is correct; however, the price would include more than just the material costs. It'd also include the cost of hiring a blacksmith. I am currently at a loss for how to price that.
  6. Razgriz

I was thinking 5 rupees per profession lvl needed, so a lvl 6 blacksmith would cost an extra 30 rupees. Of course it's free if you can do it yourself.
  7. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Just so you guys know, I'm assuming how that works is the blacksmith is skilled enough to craft multiple materials in a single item without compromising any of them or weakening their power.

By the way, though, I'm in the process(See: It's in my mind but I'm too busy to actually make it) on updating(Revamping?) materials a little, and one of those ideas would include having to pay an NPC Blacksmith if you're not an actual blacksmith. I don't know if I'd use that same pricing you listed, though.
  8. Razgriz

Seeing as the revamp is underway I thought I'd bring this back up. My understanding now is that if you want an item made of two items, the only way is to have a player character who has the appropriate profession level do it for you.

With the marketplace this wouldn't be so bad if we had more active characters, but right now, that wouldn't work cause of the lack of active high level profession characters. My suggestion is that the item cost the same as if he/she needed to craft the full item out of all materials (so a 5 lb. sword would cost 40 rupees if made of Lanayru Copper and Goron iron, or 70 if made of Lanayru Copper, Goron iron and cold iron.) if you can't craft it yourself.

Still I'm open to ideas, so post them or concerns.
  9. Chi

Chi Pre-everything insanity girl reg

I don't feel like that's the best method myself, simply because it ends up meaning that the only real reason to have a crafting profession is to upgrade a magic-tier item. There should be an additional price attached to having an item of the materials made, but though, I'm not sure of the best way to go about doing that, and then even then unless you want to have a ton of magic items enchanted, it's still hardly worth the profession, simply because the price of the materials + a "production fee" would in the long run would be cheaper. Not saying people won't choose a profession because of it, because I still would, but it's certainly a turn off, as far as I can tell.
  10. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

I suppose, but the Professional treasure makes Professions worth getting anyway by FAR. At level 10 in a profession, you're making 150 rupees per normal Rp. The inventive I Har a profession is easily there. So overall, I agree with Raz's method.
  11. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Tsubori, that may make professions worth getting by far, but you seem to be assuming all professions are crafting professions. This is far from the case. I myself am strongly against Raz's method, as it seemingly takes away half the reason anyone would take a crafting profession over a different type of money-earning profession.