Clawshot and Hookshot oversight

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Tsubori, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Something I've taken note of, and that really sticks out to me as a bit strange, is the fact that the Clawshot and Longshot both use the power stat instead of the much more reasonable courage. I'd definitely say there would be more courage based characters who would use the things than power based ones.

As an example, who would be the most likely people to actually USE the clawshot? Thieves, assassins, etc. I doubt Gustavo the armor tank or the captain of the guard has too many interests in getting to the rooftops as quickly as possible.

I'm actually thinking about it, and does a single character HAVE either of these treasures? Iunno. All I'm saying is that it's a tad unbelievable that a thief has to pay over two hundred rupees for something that would be more or less MEANT for those kinds of activities. It'd be understandable if it was a Courage OR Power item, but the way it is now, it's the oh-so restrictive "Power or GTFO."

My most obvious recommendation would be to open it up to the people who're actually gonna USE the damn thing, but I may just be dumb and overly tired. (I can guarantee the latter) What do you guys think? (about the courage thing, not me being tired and dumb)
  2. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    While the basic hookshot does include courage in addition to power I must say that I share the same opinion as tsu here. It just seems to make a bit more sense to have variations of it at least include a courage option for prices as courage characters are generally the ones who want/can make most use of mobility treasures.

I do sort of grasp the logic behind it in that the variations of it are supposed to be more capable of offense; the Longshot gives more range and hits harder and the Clawshot has, well, a claw at the end of it. But the prevailing stat among the 'shot' series is Power, which... does not make much sense to me. It essentially means a P5 Goron could get it easier than a C5 Kokiri or some such, while it it is not not as much use to heavy, tankish characters.

The Switch Hook also incorporates Wisdom into its prices, which makes sense given the nature of what it does, but yet again the Power stat trumps the bonuses that the Wisdom stat does.
  3. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Eh. Calling it an "oversight" is a bit of an assumption, though perhaps it was an erroneous decision on my part to base those two treasures solely on Power. Anyway, I'm going to assume your post read as, "Clawshots and Longshots seem like they could be based on Courage instead Power," rather than something which makes me want to punch you in the mouth rather than even attempt to help you.

Anyway, as I recall, it was one of many treasures I was unsure to base on one attribute or another. Instead of saying either P or C, like I should have done, I leaned towards P. I believe my original logic behind this was "OH MY GOD MY ARM WAS JUST TORN OFF," or something to that effect. It also likely had something to do with the fact Power was (and still feels like) the ironically most underpowered of the three aspects in terms of treasures.

That said, I've taken the liberty of modifying Clawshot and Longshot costs. While both still lean towards Power as they always have, both should now be much easier to acquire for characters with more Courage than Power (much like the Hookshot)
  4. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Okay, thank you Guy. And I meant no offense in that >.> sorry