Checking on the North (Open)

Discussion in 'Quest Bureau' started by Idarian, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Idarian

Idarian Imperator of Known Space reg

Name: Checking on the North

Description: A Dark power has been growing in the north of Hyrule. This very power has caused Damien Aurelius Faust to emerge from the woods outside of Nabooru, his home town. It is not yet known exactly what is causing this disruption, but a clue may be found in a small village at the western edge of the Lost Woods, at the southeastern corner of the Northern Hills. The people of this village have been terrorized in recent days by creatures of the darkness that have been emerging from the forest and raiding, robbing, and destroying.

Other affected areas include Lon Lon Ranch and the town of Darunia.

Damien feels that this darkness is somehow familiar, and has decided to set out from Nabooru and investigate these strange happenings. Along the way, he will meet up with the renowned thief of Southern Hyrule known as Rogue, who has heard that Damien, the son of wealthy Hylian baron Adrian Maximilian Faust has appeared after 15 years in exile. In hopes that she could score some riches off of him, Rogue will track Damien down in Hyrule Field as he makes his way north...

(Objective: Investigate any of the three mentioned locations near the Lost Woods. Success will come when the duo learns of the dark forces based deep within the Lost Woods that resemble the works of Damien's soulless father as they appeared 15 years prior.)

Players/Characters:
    Damien Aurelius Faust (Idarian)
    Rogue (Chaos)

Reward:
    Damien: -70 Rupees
    Demon Soul (open)
    Demon Soul
    aka: Demon Curse
    Original:Idarian, Technique-Utility
    [Empowerment][Jump][Undead][Transformation][PerQuest]

Cost:
    P5: 80 Rupees
    P4: 120 Rupees
    P3: 160 Rupees

As Damien progresses through his quests, he will find that his body has truly been affected by the curse placed on him by his father during his time serving under Ganon. In general, Damien is a completely changed man. He is faster, stronger, and different in many other ways. Specifically, he will find that:
    Undead Soul: Damien is, indeed a living creature in essence, but the dark power impregnated within him renders him similar to the undead. He cannot be healed by potions or non-magical means, and magic spells such as Life affect him minorly. They may save him from death, but they may not bring him to full strength. Specifically, any Wisdom-based healing spell cast by a character with a Wisdom of 2, let's say, would be rendered only 20% effective. To determine how effective a healing spell is, take the spell-casting character's PWC level relevant to the spell being used, and multiply that number by 10%. Therefore, if a Wisdom spell is cast by a character with 5 Wisdom, it will be 50% effective. The only way for Damien to speed the natural healing process without using potions or magic is to sleep for a full day. However, the main effect of this characteristic is immortality. Damien will not age visibly or die of natural causes. However, he is just as vulnerable to weapons and offensive magic as he would normally be. He can also go without sleep for long periods of time, as sleep's only main purposes is to substitute healing magic. Damien does experience hunger, and will eat in response to it.
    Augmented Strength: As a result of his dark curse, Damien's strength has, like a vampire's, increased noticeably. With Demon Soul, Damien's Power rating increases by 0.5 points.
    Water Weakness: Foremost on his list of weaknesses is water. Also similar to a vampire, Damien is rendered weak by coming into contact with significant amounts of water. Rain will incur only minor pain, similar to the sting of a particularly small, incompetent bee. However, beginning when Damien is submerged in water at mid-shin level, he will experience a pain that, in presentation, is felt as a sort of spiritual burning on the outside, as well as on the inside within his soul. At such minimum levels, the pain will be bearable, but still a noticeable disadvantage in combat. In addition, with water at a minimum of mid-shin depth, Damien will experience increasingly severe weakening effects. Specifically, depending on how deep he is submerged, he will experience reduced physical strength and movement speed (not just as a result of wading through water, mind you), as well as a reduced ability to perform magic spells. Any offensive magic suffers in damage to the target, as well as cool-down time and time to charge and unleash the attack. Any defensive magic Damien acquires in later quests, such as a magic protective bubble, perhaps, will deliver reduced protection, will last for a shorter period, and will take longer to recharge. Transformation abilities acquired in later quests will be quite more time consuming to perform. In addition, the internal pain experienced will slow Damien's thought processes or distract them, clouding his mind. When Damien is submerged in water above his waist, the weakening effects of this will peak. Damien will be at his slowest and weakest, and from here on, he will be in serious trouble. He will be unable to perform any magic whatsoever, and, depending on how deep he is submerged above his waist, his life will gradually wane. Being in water above waist-height will eventually kill him. Despite all of this, once he has exited whatever water he has been in, all of his strength and power returns, though, as a balancing effect, it is not possible to extend his lifespan by jumping in-and-out of the water repeatedly in an area where he is forced to wade through deep water. If he has been in higher-than-waist-deep water for thirty seconds, for instance, he will need to be out of water completely for a full thirty seconds before his "water life" timer is full.
    Jump Height: As the name suggests, one last effect of this is that Damien will find he can jump higher into the air than he normally would. This increases his potential jump height by 50-100%.
    Benevolence/Malevolence: As a result of the demonic power within him, Damien is obliged to perform at least one act of selflessness in every quest in an attempt to compensate for the evil within. This cannot be a minor act of helping another simply in order to get a benefit for himself, such as performing a task for a man in exchange for information or an item. It must be a blatant act of kindness toward another in need. Alternatively, Damien may, at times, be overcome by the demonic fragment of his soul, and be possessed to perform an act of cruelty. This may be in order to benefit himself, but it be in some way malicious and/or ruthless in nature to satiate the evil power taking over his mind and body. One act of either variety must be completed in every quest in which Damien participates, otherwise, the quest, no matter how artistically, cleverly, fluidly, shockingly, and/or beautifully well-written it may be, will be a failure and must be altered in order include at least one fulfillment of the Benevolence/Malevolence element of Demon Soul.

Rogue: Pegasus Boots
  2. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Re: Scouring the Catacombs (Open)

As it is, Idarian, Demon Soul is a little bit overpowered. Vampires would be the closest comparison to this skill, so let's compare the two:

Vampire:
    +Enhanced Strength
    +Immortal (Living Dead)
    +Keese Summon
    +Regeneration
    +Hypnotic Charm
    -Blood Addiction (Failure to Complete = Failure of Quest)
    -Fire Weakness (nullified by Goron Tunic)
    -Light Weakness
    -Cannot be Healed by Conventional Means

Demon Soul:
    +Enhanced Strength
    +Undead Soul (Immortal)
    +Jump
    +Transformation: Bat
    -Undead Soul Healing (See Below)
    -Water Weakness

Comparison:

Benefits:

+Enhanced Strength: No Problem

+Immortal/Undead Soul: No Problem

+Jump vs. Hypnotic Charm/Regeneration: No Problem

+Keese Summon/Transformation: Bat: There are several issues with this skill; the first being that the user actually transforms into a Bat. Referring to both Transformation Masks and Natural Form: Wolf (In the Future Treasure Threads by Chaos James), we can see that both are rather expensive. Although transforming into a Bat may not be as desirable as the other Transformation skills, estimate a rupee price of at least 50-60 rupees for a Wisdom score of 5. Substituting Wisdom for Power, this is already 50 of your 80 rupees that you are paying. Keese Summon, instead, is a summon and costs less. Additionally, as a Bat (Which should be "Keese", not Bat), you are able to shoot fireballs from your mouth. This has essentially the same effect as the Fire Spell, and with a Wisdom score of 4 I believe. Either you purchase this spell separately (You will be allowed to cast this spell from your mouth in Keese form, but must cast it normally in humanoid form, since Keese would have no other way of casting Fire very well), or you can account for this in your price. Once again, substituting Wisdom for Power, a Wisdom score of 5 means that Fire costs 33 rupees; to add this spell to your Keese form, you will have to add an additional 15 rupees to your 50, putting you at 65/80 Rupees with just this portion of Demon Soul.

Weaknesses:

-Blood Addiction: For Vampires, if they do not drink blood at least once within their quest, then they automatically fail that quest and may even die. Demon Soul lacks such a fatal weakness that is comparable. Either you increase the price, or you add a similar weakness.

-Light/Fire Weakness vs. Water Weakness: Water Weakness isn't very dangerous. Reading the Vampirism treasure, even the smallest flame could potentially be lethal to the Vampire. This can be nullified by wearing a Goron Tunic, which is equal to Water Weakness being nullified by a Zora Tunic. However, without either Tunic, there is a great imbalance between the two; Fire can kill Vampires, while Water seems to only weaken a person with a Demon Soul. Either you up the price once again, or you fix this. Also, Vampires never stop being flammable due to sunlight. I see no comparable weakness with Demon Soul. Once again, increase the price, or add another fatal weakness.

-Vampire Healing vs. Undead Soul Healing: Vampires cannot be affected by conventional healing spells and items, while apparently the Undead Soul can still be "saved" by said items/spells. Either you increase the price again, or you fix this.
  3. Idarian

I can get rid of the keese transformation. That one was a bit... Dodgy in any case.

However, wouldn't the small amount of healing be comparable to the lack of regeneration that Demon Soul Presents. As far as healing goes, I've put myself in a bit of a pickle because I have no overly effective ways of recovering in battle.

I think my wording may have been weird, so let me say that all healing spells are reduced to 20-30% of normal effect, in exchange for no regeneration. I can edit my post containing the skill, of course, so long as these changes are acceptable.

Those being: Remove Keese Transformation in favor of acquiring such a skill later in my RP, and put a numerical value on the Undead Healing to specify.

I should also say that with Demon soul acquired, water at waist level or higher will gradually kill Damien. Is that a decent fatal flaw?
  4. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898

Keese Removal: Okay

Healing Effectiveness: Up to to 50% and okay.

Waist Level Water is a little iffy; from a Player verses Player stand-point, that amount of water could be difficult to achieve. I would be happier if you could think of something better. The flaw doesn't necessarily have to be fatal; it could severely hamper his movements, remove some of his powers, etc.

You are still missing an equivalent for Blood Addiction. This could mean that Damien is compelled towards one act of complete selflessness in penance for the curse, per quest, or perhaps it is mandatory for him to commit an act of atrocity instead, to sate the curse.

Once these are fixed, then I will feel comfortable passing this.
  5. Idarian

I would be fine with both of those. In terms of water, I had incorrectly assumed you realized that, by causing a weakness, I intended to imply that his strength, magic powers, movement, etc. are all hampered by contact with water, as the characteristic says, at least mid-shin level. By this I also mean the internal pain he experiences will obstruct his thoughts, slow him down, etc. Essentially, what you suggested the water effects could do, I intended to be included. Though, I admit I did neglect to include such details specifically. Also, I will say that, especially since waist-high water levels would be difficult to achieve in PvP Arenas, being submerged at least waist-level in water will eventually be fatal, in addition to hampering Damien's powers. That way, I have added an extremity to the weakness to water.

I also do like the idea of either the selfless or malevolent act suggestion as an equivalent to blood addiction.

I will add these changes into the original post and then alert you that the skill is ready to be re-graded.
  6. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898

This passes.
  7. Idarian

Just to make sure, could you look this over again. Chaos and I were chatting and decided to make the mission you read about a line of two quests to make it more worth our time. So, I've made this just the first part of the quest, which mean it is effectively a different quest. I'm sure it will pass, since it isn't all that different, just the first half of dealing with the evil in the Lost Woods, but I can't really go on a quest without it being accepted, obviously.
  8. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Sure. It works.
  9. Idarian

10. Premium Chaos

Premium Chaos Member reg

11. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin