Character Graveyard

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Ribitta, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

As a result of sub-accounts being discussed on the forums and amidst the staff, one of the things that came to our attention was the possibility of a graveyard. Basically it would be a place for you to formally retire a character into a location where you could easily resurrect them, should you have some change of heart. I know a number of people have characters they don't use anymore, so I figured I would ask you guys.

Do you think a Graveyard section would be useful for organization? Do you think you might use it to store some of your past characters?
  2. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

I don't think anyone here has ever killed off one of their own characters (barring the arena, but that's temporary)
    Ribitta likes this.
  3. Ribitta

Oh my bad, I should clarify. When I say graveyard, I don't necessarily mean that the character is explicitly killed ICly. You could retire a character for that reason, but I mostly meant just when people realize that there are characters they simply don't feel the desire to RP with any longer.
  4. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

YES. I love this idea. As of now I have 3 retired characters that I plan to bring back at some point or another, and I will probably continue to make and retire/raise characters in the future.

A location for them where I could put them when not in use and take them out of when I am using them would be wonderful!
    Ribitta likes this.
  5. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Well, I have several unused characters that could be removed from the accepted characters thread. I was wondering why you guys didn't have an archive for that as things were.
  6. Razgriz

Two things:

First; this seems kind of unnecessary, someone could make their own spoiler tag for unused characters or put a little note/word beside them in their signature and accomplish the same thing. Less complicated and less formal for something that doesn't really need to be anything more.

Second; the mistake I just made. Calling it a graveyard implies that the people in it are dead, when in fact they're just unused. This means that someone not entirely familiar with the concept are likely to assume the same thing I did and thus not send a PM/message on the CBox/etc. to their owner asking for an RP, when in fact they could.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  7. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    It's just another archive, Raz. We have one in Ylisse as well (Although we call it 'Retired Characters' as opposed to 'Character Graveyard'), it was one of the first things I wanted after Vel took off. It's actually really useful to have around, as people won't have to browse through troves of characters that are no longer used anyway in order to find the profile they're looking for. Less clutter, more overview.
  8. Razgriz

Admittedly the second point could be easily negated by renaming it, 'Retired Characters' works, as does 'Unused characters', or -if you wanted to make it funnier- 'Old folks home' or 'People waiting on a park bench'
  9. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Just because Ribs called it a "Graveyard" doesn't mean thats a final name or anything, its simply a word to imply the character is in essence "dead" meaning it isn't being used. Sometimes I think people look for things to complain about such as in this case when there is a tentative descriptive name that has no baring on the final result just so that they can complain. As you said yourself Raz, your "purpose" here is to, how did you put it? Something having to do with complaining, raising "shit" or whatever. I'd appreciate it if you didn't. We don't need to be told everything is unnecessary, telling us something is unnecessary doesn't accomplish much. If we bring it forward to the members, we obviously think there is some necessity in it and you don't need to tell us otherwise. Please come up with valid points as to why you don't want it, and if all you can think of is it "seems unnecessary" then don't bother posting it.

PS: I'm not made, just getting tired of the same complaint that keeps arising. We wouldn't work hard as staff and bring something forward if we didn't think it was needed or that it would improve HC.
  10. Ribitta

It's not a big deal. Seeing as this is a suggestion thread, both BP and Toko are right that the name is definitely open to change. I had been kind of amusing myself with calling it the "Hall of Heroes" after the Valhalla concept, though unfortunately I don't think that would work too well thematically...

I'd be down with Retired Characters as a name.

Also, I was going to wait to bring this up until sub-accounts had been more entirely resolved, but the Hylian Honor system will likely be semi-retired in the coming future. At this point I'm anticipating moving it to the HC Regular forums, so that dedicated RPers can still use it, if they like, but newcomers won't have to be overwhelmed by it. Because of this, I would likely eliminate the sub-forum specifically for HH characters and simply merge the two together.

But that isn't what this thread is about--sorry for semi-derailing it--my only reason for bringing it up is to say that, space-wise, hopefully no one would feel a difference. Not to mention that I don't expect to ever *force* someone to retire a character, so it would exist only as a convenience for those who want it and would hopefully not be burdensome.

Does that more or less work for everyone?
  11. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I'm down with it. Like I said, it'll reduce clutter in the accepted characters subforum.
  12. Razgriz

Toko, the reason I brought the whole name point up was because it was confusing (The use of words like 'resurrected' didn't help either) and yes, Rib has since corrected that misunderstanding; that point is no longer an issue. However, the other point stands; it is both unnecessary and adds complexity. The reason this point holds is that, by itself, it was used to bring down (Not a 'maybe later' thing, not a 'we can talk about after we get the sub-accounts sorted out' thing) an idea that had fully written rules (rules which you wrote), added something to the RP, was obviously wanted, lacked other issues and was entirely optional; no one had to use it or read the rules for it if they didn't want to.

Now, since I'm going to make the relatively safe assumption that Rib was acting as part of the modding team and that there was at least some discussion of it between mods. So than if it's NOT a valid criticism, why the hell are you using it as one?

PS: That whole 'Shit-Disturber' thing on the CBox? That was a joke

PPS: Once again nothing against Rib, he was just the bearer of bad news.
  13. Ribitta

What are you referring to? Sub-accounts? Hylian Honor?
  14. Razgriz

What it was used to bring down? The resurrection of the bank
  15. Ribitta

Err, so you're saying we should can the idea of a retired characters sub-forum because at one point in time, over a year ago, a completely separate system was not implemented because it might be too complicated?
  16. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

No offense Raz, but I really don't get how this makes anything more complicated. In this case, I think it would streamline things and add another layer of organization. The exact opposite of making it more complicated.
    UnnamedDude likes this.
  17. Razgriz

Rib, you rejected the bank less than a week ago
  18. Ribitta

My question wasn't meant to be critical, sarcastic, or rhetorical, I was just simply confused.

In regards to the bank, it's not a question of if it were a cool idea or not, it was just a question of how well we could do it. I voiced my fear that I didn't think it would work well at this phase, because of the scale you need to pull off a larger economy, but that was really all I did: voice my opinion. If you want to continue talking about that system in particular, I would prefer it stayed in that thread.

That out of the way, you are correct in the assumption that one of the things we do look at is how complicated a system might be, before it's implemented. You may find that harder to believe, given our recent disagreements, but it really is something that's important to us. That's really the reason why I posed this in the suggestion bin, not another forum; it was to gauge your guys' feelings on the matter.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Double and BP are. My hope would be that a retired character section would make things less complicated, not more, but I suppose that remains to be seen, and my opinion certainly does not settle the matter.

This side-track aside, the thread is still open for discussion about this system: whether or not people are interested and if they think it would be useful.
  19. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Maybe this isn't the best time given the turn the topic has taken, but yeah, I'm thinking that a section for retired characters would make things easier to navigate; it'd mean fewer topics to comb through to find a particular character, not to mention the ease of figuring out at a glance whether a character is going to be used or not. I've thankfully never been in the awkward situation of figuring out that a character I asked to rp with was retired, but it's still be pretty convenient.
  20. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I think the Character Graveyard is a great idea, especially since it means that you don't have to make sub-accounts for unused characters. The implementation of a Retired Characters section's been touched on a lot, and I think it'd work well. Can't really see a downside to having one, and it's like BP said- they can be really useful.