Caution: Flammable

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Razgriz, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Name: Caution: Flammable

PWC:?

Description: The user casts this spell on an object held in one of their hands, causing it to become about as flammable as very dry wood. All other properties of the item remain the same. Any item already as flammable or more flammable than very dry wood is unaffected.

Limitations: Can only be cast on solids (not liquids or gases), the user is given no discrepency as to what part of the item becomes flammable, either all of it does or none of it does (thus residue on their hands or person is still flammable). The object must be able to be comfortably held in one hand or smaller, and the caster must use their bare hands to cast.
  2. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

I'm thinking kind of "no" on this one. Sort of like making food spicy, it seems a little too insignificant to be a treasure. Like some other treasure concepts, though, when it would be significant would be really funky and potentially disastrous. Making metal flammable seems odd, not really involved in canon, and hard to consistently picture. I'll leave this up, though, until another mod can voice their opinion on it.
  3. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

4. Razgriz

The idea for this was both being to pierce strong armor, and to set up traps/bombs (like fuel-air bombs) with next to no materials, after all who needs a weapons when dirt explodes?
  5. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

If your objective is to make an armor-piercing explosion treasure, a "makes objects flammable" seems to be a roundabout way to do it. Additionally, if you could make dirt explode (powerfully enough to pierce strong armor), why would anyone need bomb treasures?
  6. Razgriz

not entirely them both at once, just by touching an opponent's armor, you can make it flammable and thus extremely vulnerable to fire attacks, probably killing them. As for the dirt exploding thing, it works off the principle of a saw-dust explosion, lots of very flammable particles in the air ignite and create and explosion. But it would be hard to make say, a timer for the explosion without lengthy preparation.

then you've also got things like shock-and-awe tactics, survival/signalling uses, hostage escape, etc.
  7. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

"Thus extremely vulnerable to fire attacks, probably killing them."

Yeah, that's just making it less likely we'll accept this. While treasures are boons, we are not handing out I-Win buttons to people.

While you did list how the dirt explosion would function, you have not addressed Quill's question on this rendering the Bomb treasure obsolete.
  8. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Sorry, Raz, but I think I'm just going to pull the plug on this one. I see where you're coming from, but I don't feel comfortable making this a treasure. It's just such an odd concept that seems like it could be tackled in better ways, as Quill and R.D. have pointed out, and I think we're all feeling the same way about this one. Either it would end up as far too powerful, if interpreted one way, or seemingly pointless if interpreted another way, which is a good indicator to let it go.