Bragi Hodr

Discussion in 'Accepted Characters' started by Eternis, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Bragi

Regular Honor
    Name:
    Bragi Hodr

Race:
    Rito

Place of Origin:
    Dragon Roost Island

Residence:
    None

P/W/C:
    1/2/5

Power: *
    Wisdom: **
    Courage: ****

Treasures:
    -Winged Flight (Free)
    -Valiance (+35 Courage Rupees)
    -Minstrel Level 2 (-70 Rupees)
    -Song of Storms (-20 Courage Rupees)
    -Song of Healing (-15 Courage Rupees)
    -Wind's Requiem (-7 Rupees)
    -Sun's Song (-15 Rupees)

Equipment:
    Dagger, Lute.

Rupees:
    8 (remaining from creation)

Height
    4'7

Weight
    40 lb.

Appearance:
    Bragi has violet-coloured eyes, and his black wings are speckled with gold. He is somewhat short for his age, even for a Rito and he has very little muscle mass. His short-cropped messy black hair has been sun-bleached from his flight to southern hyrule. His beak is long and sharp, hooked like a hawk, and shines as if polished. He is somewhat handsome, but a disfiguring scar running from the base of his left wing to halfway down his thigh.
    Bragi wears a tightly-belted pair of light linen pants, but doesn't usually wear anything above his waist.

Personality:
    Bragi used to be brash and vain on Dragon Roost Island, but what happened during his flight south have caused him to re-evaluate himself - the scar in particular forcing him to change his opinion on his looks, and what they mean to him. For example, where he used to spend around an hour each morning just getting his hair to perfect condition, he now cuts it less than once a month, and only sloppily with his dagger.
    Bragi is chatty and pretty charismatic, but keeps silent on what happened during his travels, unless he really trusts a person. He is constantly looking for new songs to sing, and wherever he goes, he asks as many people as he can for any songs he can learn from them.
    One bad habit he's retained from his incredible vanity: He takes any insult personally and will immediately lash out, either verbally or physically, unless he trusts them implicitly.

Backstory:
    Bragi, born on Dragon Roost Island to two mail carries, was musical from an extremely early age.
    The first time he heard live music played, he sang along.
    The first time he saw a lute, he tried to play it, and cried when the notes he played were discordant.
    He trained with some of the best, and by the time he was twelve, he was one of the better musicians on the island. His looks didn't help reduce his ego, and by the age of nien, he was the most self-centered brat you could ever wish to have never met. On his tenth birthday, he went down to the wind shrine, where he learnt his first two magical songs: the Song of Storms, and the Wing's Requiem.
    When he first played the Song of Storms, there was quite a bit of destruction of property, and a mysterious travelling mask collector taught him to play the Song of Healing to repair the damage.
    By the age of thirteen, the Rito of Dragon Roost Island were fed up with his ego. They sent him out on a quest: he must learn twelve new songs of magic before he could return to the island, but as recompense, if and when he completes the quest, he would be given a place in the Rito Traveling Choir.
    After landing on the northern shore of Southern Hyrule, an old hermit taught him the Sun's Song after treating Bragi's wounds. Bragi then continued his journey, towards Ruto.
    And that is where his real tales start.

((The following is only IC known by the people that Bragi tells.))
    Bragi's Flight (open)
    Bragi used the Wind's Requiem to speed him on his way south. Each time the wind changed, Bragi changed it back. However, the reckless use of weather control led to some extreme side-effects: The wind patterns that had been in place for centuries were temporarily ceased, and, in conflict with the magical winds, formed a cyclone near a cliff of South Hyrule, due to the reflected winds from the mountains. Bragi fought against the winds, but was dashed on the cliff face from their force. One jagged rock caught him in the back, cutting him in a jagged line from the base of his left wing to halfway down his left thigh. When the storm finally dissipated, Bragi was found by a hermit living in the region, who nursed him back to health. While recovering, Bragi told the hermit about his life and his quest, leading to the hermit teaching Bragi the Sun's Song, on the condition that when he had finished his quest, Bragi would return and perform for him.

Bragi's Net Worth

Minstrel: Level 3
    Winged flight, Song of Storms, Song of Healing, Wind's Requiem, Sun's Song
    Rupees: 17

Bragi's Timeline

Season 1:
    - Bragi is a vain birdst*rd on Dragon Roost Island
    - Everyone gets annoyed, and kicks him out.
    - Flying Fail
    - Kindly Old Man-Hermit

The Minstrel Profession

Minstrels are singers, songwriters, musicians, all sorts of artists who use music to entertain the crowd. They earn money by performing, be it in the streets or on stage, and are so skilled in their chosen art that they gain specific bonuses when playing music or singing.

However, due to their dedication to the musical arts, a Minstrel cannot take a Specialty or sub-specialty.

- At Lv1, the Minstrel gets +1 PWC for the purpose of purchasing and using all treasures with the [music] field. However, they also get -1 PWC for the purpose of purchasing treasures without the [music] field.

- At Lv2, the Minstrel has overcome any stage fright they may have had, raising their voices so they can be heard over an increased distance, doubling the range over which treasures with the [music] field are effective.

- At Lv4, the Minstrel’s mastery of uncommon and magical songs is far greater than that of most normal musicians. The Minstrel no longer has to perform the entire musical number associated with a treasure with the [music] field- the first few bars suffice for the effect to activate.

- At Lv6, the Minstrel’s voice is clear enough to leave a lasting impression on the minds of all who listen. The Minstrel can now have two treasures with the [music] field in effect at once, as long as they are used in swift enough succession.

- At Lv8, the Minstrel has developed a very unique sound to their voice, making it pleasant on the ears of some and painful on those of others. The Minstrel is now capable of differentiating between friend or foe with the effects of their treasures with the [music] field.

- At Lv10, the Minstrel has mastered their art fully and no longer have to put in as much time studying treasures with the [music] field to use them effectively. The Minstrel no longer counts as having -1 PWC when purchasing treasures without the [music] field.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

... I don't... I don't really see anyone who gets an arm and a leg maimed by a shark still swimming anywhere, never mind into a cyclone. And I don't really see anyone who gets maimed by a shark and then hurled by a cyclone into the mountains surviving the trip at all to be rescued by a hermit. I dunno if any of the other moderators are okay with that, but I just don't see that really happening.
  3. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

R.D. makes a good point, but I will interject and add to that a bit.

In general, I like where this character is going. While brief, I think you captured the backlash that comes from a person being perhaps 'too gifted'. Having his near death experience change his attitude on life a bit makes absolute sense, so I'm interested to see where he goes once he's in the field of roleplay! I am a little curious, though; any reason why it sounds like he might be named after a Norse god?

For the history, R.D.'s statement is pretty valid that it seems a little over the top; I think you can achieve what you wanted to from the experience without going as far as you did. Rather than have him swim back, why not just have him mauled, pass out, and wake up on the shores of the Southern Hyrule? It seems reasonable he might have been taken down by the storm when he was already close enough to be washed ashore by the storm.

Also as a side note, could you go through this profile and insert some spaces?

If you do just a single hit of the [Enter] key
    It looks like this, and it's kind of hard to read.

Rather, something like this:

Name:
    <insert information here>

Would make things a lot easier to read. You can look at pretty much any of the other profiles if you need a good example.

Thanks!
  4. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

1: Thanks for the advice, Ribb! Looking back at the post, it does look kinda cramped.
    2: Ribb and R.D, you're both right, it is over the top. Thing is, it's a lot less over the top than my original draft, and (in comparison) looked tame in my eyes. Thank you both for pointing that out, I have now changed it. The main problem I had was thinking of a convincing reason to have a massive disfiguring scar in that region that (potentially) hampers him.
    3: Actually, it's two Norse gods. Bragi, son of Odin, god of Poetry, and Hodr, the blind, killer of Baldr.
    I used the god of poetry because "Bragi" sounds like "Braggy", and they're both musicians, and I needed a last name, so why not use another one often associated with music?
  5. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

Alright, with the Flight history change I'm okay with this. Approved. [1/2]
  6. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Math checks out and everything. I like your fixes, thanks for working with us on it! Approved for take-off... -shot-
  7. Bragi Hodr

Bragi Hodr Bard of Heart new

Member:
    Eternis
    New Stuff From Sub-Profile:
    Next level of minstrel (now level 3, costing 30 rupees), and 20 rupees.
  8. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

STUPIDLY COURAGEOUS HEART:
    Bragi now has a courage of 5, due to me being a regular.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  9. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

-11 Rupees, for the twist.
    -Minstrel Whatsit
    +Aria of Aravice (15 rupees per quest [stacks with Crafting and profession], other effects act as reversing the emotional effects of the song of healing, tending towards greed)
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015