Bottom of the Well (Squishy and Blonde Panther)

Discussion in 'Classic Dungeons' started by Squishy, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

- Idris, magnificent bastard. 1/5/1. +25 Rupees.

-Triton, stoic fishstick. 1/5/1. +25 Rupees.

This was not how Idris wanted his first day to be.
    He wasn't supposed to end up in this dark, damp hole. He was supposed to just take a rest on the edge of that old well before he would start his journey through Hyrule. After biding his parents and sisters goodbye he had gone to the market in the centre of Castle Town, and after buying supplies for his journey there he had wanted to take a rest and take a look at his map to decide where to go next.
    He came to a quiet and small plaza with an old well on it. Noone else was around and it was completely quiet, save for the chirping of birds in the trees around the plaza. The well had a broad edge, broad enough to sit on for a while. At least, that was what Idris had thought.
    But the edge thought differently.
    After Idris had settled himself, he reached into his bag to fetch his map.
    And that was when it happened.
    With a loud, cracking sound the stone under his seated form gave way and fell into the dark hole of the well, taking the young hylian, who gave a surprised shriek, with him.
  2. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Triton was in Castle Town for, little surprise, magic issues. He was hoping to find someone who could teach him more about the Life spell, which would allow him to rejuvenate people on the spot, without them having to drink a liquid- Rejuvenation was useful, but Life would simply be better.

However, on his way to the address Thria had given him, he saw something else. Something unhealthy. Some poor soul had sat down on the unsteady well edge in the center of the plaza. As he shifted his weight, the old masonry gave way and collapsed... and heavens knew what was in that well. Maybe the poor soul couldn't even swim- provided there was water in that well.

Triton wasted no time rushing towards the well and leaping after the man who had fallen in. The fall was greater than he had thought, so he reached for the sports of the ladder that was supposed to be on the side. He grabbed it, but the iron bars broke off of the wall. Fortunately, he was slowed down enough to survive the fall.

"My lord? Are you here?" It was dark as the deepest cavern in here, so the Zora snapped his fingers, casting Spark to create a light.
  3. Squishy

"My lord? Are you there?"
    Idris was sure he heard a voice. A voice calling out to him? He groaned. Getting up hurt more than he had expected. He snapped his fingers and a small flame appeared on top of his index finger. 'At least I have a little light...Now, where am I?' He thought, and looked around. All he could see were dark, damp stone walls around him. In the distance was the sound of water dripping.

Then he noticed a small light to his left. "Hello?" Idris walked towards the light. He suddenly stopped in this tracks. There was someone else in the well. Had someone else fallen in as well? 'That would be rather stupid...' When we came within a metre of the light, Idris was able to make out a vague shape of a person. Or at least, what seemed to be a person. 'Is that...a fish tail?' He straightened his back and stepped into the light of the other person's spark.
    "Who are you?"
  4. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    He heard a voice from next to him. Such a relief- the man who had fallen in didn't sound that hurt. Of course he'd probably feel it in the morning, but for now, he would be okay. Triton, reassured, looked up. He did see the circle of light at the top, which was the exit, but it was fairly high and after his misadventure earlier, he didn't trust the ladder.

"Who are you?" He turned around. The man behind him was definitely the poor soul he had seen falling into the well, not that he had doubted that. After all, what were the odds of there being a THIRD person in here? The other man, too, had a Spark spell out, and he didn't seem amused. It was all very understandable. The air here was damp, like Triton was using a bad combination of his lungs and his amphibious breathing apparatus to get oxygen from an equally bad mixture of normal air and pure water.

"...I am Triton, born of Zora's Domain," he replied. "I saw you fall in and hoped to help you, my lord... but it appears we are stuck here."
  5. Squishy

“…but it appears we are stuck here.”
    “Yes, yes, I saw that. How good of you to notice.” Idris replied a little irritated. Did the man think he was stupid? “You’ve got rust on your hands, which means you’ve tried to grab the ladder. Tried. The scratchmarks on your hands show it wasn’t successful and that your hand scraped the wall when the rung fell off.” Idris huffed. “It’s obvious that way is closed off. Anyway. If we can’t go out that way,” He pointed up “We need to find another one.” He pointed into the dark. Then he turned back to the Zora. “Well, are you coming?”
  6. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Triton looked at his hand as the Hylian snarled at him and pointed out exactly how he could tell the ladder wasn't an option. Of course, what he was saying was true and sound, but did he have to be so... cocky about it? "...yes, indeed. Extremely observant of you..." The Zora had merely been ordering his thoughts. He felt a little hurt at the Hylian lashing out at him like that, but he soon shook it off.

If it had been his sister with him in here, she would probably have done the same. Just before barging onward into the darkness without a single light. It was common sense- he had fallen down a well and probably hurt himself in the landing. Of course he was a little on edge. When he asked if Triton was coming, the Zora nodded. "I am, sir. However, we must be careful. It's enough of a miracle that there seems to be a network of caverns and hallways here, but we cannot say how reliable they are."

"Suffice to say, I am not for barging in without thinking."
  7. Squishy

Without waiting for the Zora, Idris started off into the darkness, holding the small flame in his hand in front of him. For a moment he thought he heard a whisper, but quickly shrugged it off as the wind or perhaps some ringing in his ear from falling and hitting his head. It was just a well, nothing more.
    Not that he knew it then, but he was going to deeply regret that thought later on.

"If you want to go out, you'd better follow. I don't feel like staying here all day. I have a journey to start on!" Idris called behind him. He stopped for a moment to listen if the Zora followed him. He heard footsteps. So he did follow.
    Suddenly, the small tunnel through which they were walking came to a dead end.
    "Strange..." Idris murmured "I was sure I heard water this way." He looked at the stone wall in front of him. "Maybe..." He took a step forward, expecting to find hard stone under his foot.
    But there was nothing.
    "Wha- AAAAAH!"
    Just before he fell through the floor, the Zora was able to grab him by the wrist to prevent him from falling again.
    'What in the name of Din was that?!'
  8. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    The Hylian did not feel like listening to reason and barged forward into the darkness. Triton followed, hurriedly but carefully, and joined the man at the apparent dead end. He, too, heard the cries of the wind... except the Zora didn't think it was the wind he was hearing.

'The shadow... eye of truth...' He was hearing voices. He focused. The voices repeated after themselves, so it might pay off to hear what they had to say. "The shadow will yield only to the one with the eye of truth..." he muttered, but then he saw the Hylian stepping forward and almost falling into a trap.

The Zora leapt forward, grabbing the Hylian by the arm and dragging him back onto safe ground. As soon as the Hylian was done screaming, Triton looked around and kneeled at the place where the Hylian had almost fallen through the floor. His hand, too, went straight through it. "...this is no ordinary well, my lord... we must be extremely careful."
  9. Squishy

Idris looked at Triton.
    "How very observant of you." He said dryly as he stuck his hand through the floor. "Hmm..." He stuck his head through the floor as well. It was a long drop down. Maybe as long as the drop down the well earlier, maybe a little less. But there was water at the bottom, so the landing would a lot less painful than the other one. "I see water down there. I'd say it's safe to jump down. And even if the water's an illusion too...I've got some tricks up my sleeve." Idris got up and stared at the floor. He took a deep breath, did a few steps back...

and suddenly ran foward and dove through the floor.
  10. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    After Triton saved Idris from a long fall down, the Hylian leapt right down into the abyss saying that he had a trick up his sleeve. Triton suspected him to be talking about magic tricks, having sensed a surge of power inside the Hylian, and leapt after him. He landed fin-first into the water-like substance.

However, a life long under the water of Zora's Domain had taught him what was water and what was not water. And what he had landed in was most decidedly not water. It was too thick, too murky. ...and it did not allow him to breathe. Triton hurriedly swum back to the surface, climbing on to the edge. Thank heavens there was solid ground here. However, it was, if possible, even darker than above.

"My lord?" He said, coughing and panting in exhaustion -it had not been easy swimming against that gunk-, "My lord, are you there?"
  11. Squishy

The water was a little more disgusting and foul-smelling than expected, but at least, and combined with a well timed feather fall spell, it provided a safe landing. Shame Idris' clothes were now soaked with the foul goop. That would be almost impossible to wash out.
    Then he heard the Zora call out to him.

"Yes, yes, I'm here. I told you I had a trick up my sleeve." Idris lighted a spark spell and took in his surroundings. The air here was strange, heavy, almost suffocating. He was sure he heard something whispering softly. So soft it was impossible to hear what was being whispered. It send chills down his spine.

"You there, Zora? Please hurry, I don't like the feeling of this place. Let's find a way out."
  12. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Nayru be praised, he was alright. "A very sound idea, my lord." he saw the Hylian's Spark spell waver slightly, indicating a draft, but the flame had some trouble burning because of the suffocating air. If they stayed down here for too long, would there be enough oxygen for them? Come to think of it, the oxygen levels in the well overall... This was worrying.

Triton jumped when he heard a voice whispering. The only thing he could make out was 'die,' which was unsettling enough as it was. The Hylian suggested they leave. "A sound idea. If this well is part of a system of underground hallways, then maybe it ends in an exit other than the well."

He then heard a strange sound, as if something mechanic was malfunctioning. He looked to a side and saw the light from the Hylian's flame reflecting off of something metallic. It seemed to have eight legs... it crawled around on the wall in what appeared to be a set pattern...
  13. Squishy

A stranged mechanic sound reached Idris' ears, like tiny gears turning and something metallic scraping against stone. He whirled around in the direction of the sound and held out his hand, the light barely reaching the wall. Something shimmered in the dark, something golden.
    'What is...?'
    The eight legs that stuck out of it left no doubt. It was a thing called a skulltula. In fact, a gold skulltula. Idris had read about those long ago. They were machines modelled after the normal skulltulas, always crawling on walls in a simple, set pattern.
    This one seemed to be malfunctioning and could only spin around on its place.

Idris looked at the Zora behind him and back to the mechanical spider on the wall. It had to be put there with a purpose, why else would someone leave a valuable machine on the bottom of a well? He gave the wall around the machine a closer look. There were vague scratchmarks, most of them covered with mold or moss. The machine had been malfunctioning for a long time.
    'Maybe it just needs a little kick to get running...'
    And Idris new exactly what sort of kick he was going to give. He held his hands in front of him, concentrating him on the energy coursing through his fingers, until little sparks began to jump from them.
    "THUNDER!"
  14. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "NO, DON'T-" Triton interrupted himself when the Hylian cast his spell and ducked to the ground, pulling up his Electric Aura in case the Thunder spell would go astray. Was that Hylian STUPID?! Casting Thunder in an enclosed area? The Zora sorcerer could think of three ways in which that could have gone awfully awry!

The Gold Skulltula had not been as fortunate as the two sorcerers, it seemed. By the time the dust cleared, there was no trace of the creature amongst the debris that remained of the wall. Instead, all that was left was small, golden coin in the very vague outline of a skull, with big red eyes.

Triton picked it up, although he was not sure why. "Well... after that... interruption... shall we?"
  15. Squishy

Idris shook his fingers and threw the Zora a cocky look.
    "What? Do you honestly think I do not know my own powers? Trust me, I know what I'm doing." He stepped over the remains of the wall, through the hole that had been opened. "I even seem to have found another passage through here." The passage behind the wall was smaller and darker than the one they had been in, consisting of nothing more than roughly hewn rock and a dirt floor. Before Idris walked into the darkness he saw the Zora pick up something small that had fallen from the spider. He shrugged. If the Zora volunteered to carry it, it was fine by him. Perhaps the small object would be important later.

At the end of the hallway was a small door. Someone had carved evil-looking faces on either side of it. They sent a shiver down Idris' spine. The whispering seemed much more clearer here.
    'Trapped...Lost...' These tunnels were not simply underground waterways, something strange was going on here.
    He opened the door and nearly stepped in, until he saw what was in the next room. He gestured to the Zora behind him.
    "It seems we've come upon some unfortunate souls who never got out of here..."
    The brown, huddled forms on the floor didn't need any explanation. They were re-deads. A lot of them.
  16. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "I see." They were indeed ReDeads. Which meant the two sorcerers could be in for a lot of trouble. Triton, at least, was not a stealth expert. With luck, his Fire Spell or his Electric Aura would be able to take them out, but by killing one, he would inevitably draw the attention of the others... and he could only keep up his Aura for so many seconds, not to mention his Fire had a cooldown.

"Let me try something, my lord." He raised his cane, knowing that he couldn't stand here wondering forever either. He had thirty feet to work with... If he stepped forward as far as he could without the nearest ReDead noticing, he could have a specimen roughly halfway across the room within spell range. He did one step forward... then two... then another two... and finally, pointed the crooked tip of his cane forward. Without a word on his part, a small fireball appeared at the tip and shot towards the nearest ReDead. It was hit and engulfed, screeching with the trademark scream of its kin.

Most of the ReDeads in the room slowly got up and started limping towards it, thinking a swordsman had gotten to their companion rather than a spellcaster over long range.
  17. Squishy

Idris watched the re-deads, who had now all gathered around the one that had been hit.

"That was a good idea of you." He said to the Zora. "Let's get past them before they find out noone hit him." He quickly moved across the room, trying not to make any sound, until he reached the door at the other side. Just as he turned around to the Zora, the re-deads seemed to have found out that noone had attacked them and started to spread across the room again.

'Dammit! I can't take them all out at once...Too much thunder will damage my hands and I don't know how long we'll be down here...' Idris looked at the re-deads shuffling around and tried to think of something. His spells couldn't take them all out at once, at most he could take out two or three at the same time. Although... There was another way. But he had to be quick and hope the Zora would be quick too.

He stepped away from the door and suddenly clapped his hands loudly.
    "Here! Now run!" He yelled to the Zora. "I'll keep them busy, you get to the door!"
  18. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Running past the Redeads alongside the Hylian, Triton was more than a little surprised to see the noble acting as bait to distract the monsters. One of the Redeads would inevitably run into the Zora before reaching the Hylian, though, so Triton extended his arm, Blizzard freezing the zombie's head, and scattered the block of ice with his cane.

He reached the door, only to find that it did not open. It had carvings in it, runes. A spell... an incantation? Triton ran his hand across it, deciphering the incantation and saying it aloud. Three indents in the wall, in the outline of skulls, glowed briefly, but apparently whatever was supposed to happen required those intends to be filled in order to function. Triton reached into his sling bag, taking out the skull-shaped item the golden spider had left behind.

It was a perfect fit into one of the indents. Triton deduced that there were two more tokens to be found on the bottom of the well. However, he didn't even know if this door led outside in the first place. "My mana supply for a map of this place," he muttered, tapping the door with his knuckles while knowing that wouldn't help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.