Bombcraft [Closed] [Review]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Ribitta, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

For space and cohesion I've put every treasure related to the profession within this thread. If the graders would prefer, I can change this. Also, apologies in advance as this is fairly lengthy. Hopefully most of it is pretty straightforward, though.

`Bombcraft:
    Original: Ribitta

Bombcraft has been an age-old tradition known to any number of races across Hyrule. Men and women with these skills are unrivalled in the art of making and using explosives, their experiences allowing them to come up with some of the most deadly compounds. While many in Hyrule use bombs, the invention and evolution of such explosives came largely from the effort of those in this craft.

Level 1:
    The Bombcrafter has general access to the materials needed for creating bombs and can now aptly adjust the compounds of the bomb to allow alteration of fuse lengths and stability of their bombs in a more capable manner. This opens up other possibilities such as creating bombs with shrapnel, hard or soft shells, and so on.

Level 2:
    The Bombcrafter grows more comfortable with explosives in the natural world. They have learned the ability to grow, maintain, and harvest Bomb Flowers within a period of two to four hours. Once planted, the bulb of a Bomb Flower re-grows very quickly.

Level 3:
    The Bombcrafter has grown in skill, opening up the possibility for many more explosive options. Tier 1 explosive schematics can now be purchased by the Bombcrafter.

Level 4:
    Time spent with explosives has bred a further adeptness with living creatures that explode. Bombchu Supply, Bombfish Supply, and Bombling Supply now use the highest of a character’s PWC for price calculation and are 50% off.

Level 5:
    Increased expertise has lent itself to allow the Bombcrafter to craft Tier 2 explosive schematics. Beyond this, they may also receive one Tier 1 schematic for free now.

Level 6:
    Through many failed experiments and close calls while dealing with these deadly explosives, the Bombcrafter’s skin has been toughened against explosions, especially from their own mixtures. Damage done by their own bombs is roughly cut in half, and explosive damage done by enemies roughly cut by a quarter.

Level 7:
    Further skill alongside explosives allows the Bombcrafter to produce Tier 3 explosive schematics. On top of this, they may receive access to a single Tier 2 schematic for free.

Level 8:
    After countless hours with these exploding mechanisms and powder on their hands, simply by touching an explosive the Bombcrafter ensures the thing will not detonate. No matter how close to an explosion this is, so long as the Bombcrafter can make physical contact before detonation happens, the blast can be delayed. When the explosive is released, the explosive will detonate no sooner than one second later, if the explosion was imminent, or the duration of the remaining fuse if longer than one second.

Level 9:
    Controlling explosives is practically a motor skill for the Bombcrafter, allowing them to use the Blast Mask without harming themselves externally from each explosion. However, given the concussive force immediately next to them, extended and repeated use may lead to dizziness and eventually knocking the user unconscious.

Level 10:
    The Bombcrafter may now create Superbombs. The schematics are free, but only one of these bombs may be crafted per roleplay thread. While a Superbomb may be kept beyond the thread it is created, if it is not detonated, only one may be owned at a time.

Tier 1 Schematics (open)
    `Remote Bomb
    Canonical, Magic-Tier – Offense/Utility
    [Explosive], [Stock], [Schematic]

25 Rupees

Prerequisite to Obtain: the user must be Level 3 Bombcrafter

The Remote Bomb functions very similarly to a standard Bomb, only instead of detonating on impact or fuse, it explodes based on a remote signal from a medium distance away. The remote is a small, simple device with only one purpose, and the bomb explosions are equal to that of normal bombs. These bombs have a light-grey coloring to them and are fairly stable. Once obtained, the user may find these in their Bomb Bag.

`Water Bomb

25 Rupees

The Water Bomb is a normal bomb with a fuse that burns even when submerged underwater. These bombs are coated in a tight skin-like material that looks similar to a fish’s scales, which protects the fuse while underwater. These bombs explode like regular bombs, though it should be noted that they do not roll, bounce, or slide very well when not in the water. Once obtained, the user may find these in their Bomb Bag.

`Jelly Bomb
    Original: Ribitta, Magic-Tier – Offense/Utility

25 Rupees

Jelly Bombs are coated with an adhesive that quite effectively allows them to stick to almost any surface. The adhesive comes from a ChuChu jelly compound and is designed to only be sticky after the bomb is released from the Bombcrafter’s hand. Besides its adhesive qualities, this functions just like a normal bomb. Once obtained, the user may find these in their Bomb Bag.

`Fire Bomb

25 Rupees

Fire Bombs look very similar to normal bombs only they are colored a bright orange-red. When detonated, however, these bombs explode in flame rather than just raw concussive force. Once obtained, the user may find these in their Bomb Bag.

`Smoke Bomb
    Original: Ribitta, Magic-Tier –Utility

25 Rupees

A Smoke Bomb is a curious device that deals no physical harm when it explodes. Instead, it released a continuous stream of smoke from the place of explosion for about thirty seconds, which is usually enough to fill a room to the point of being unable to see to the other side. Once obtained, the user may find these in their Bomb Bag.

`Mini Bomb

25 Rupees

Identical to regular bombs in all but size, Mini Bombs are intended to carry a bite-sized amount of fun. The reduction in size is roughly equal to the reduction in strength, but these handy bombs can be kept hidden in a person’s pockets or smaller pouches. Once obtained, the user may find these in their Bomb Bag.

Tier 2 Schematics (open)
    `Landmine Supply
    Original: Ribitta, Magic-Tier – Offense/Defense/Utility
    [Explosive], [Stock], [Schematic], [Trap]

P5: 40 rupees
    P4: 50 rupees
    P3: 65 rupees
    P2: 80 rupees
    P1: 120 rupees

Prerequisite to Obtain: the user must be Level 5 Bombcrafter

Landmines are an invention known to the Bombcrafter, and their function is simple yet deadly. A landmine is circular metal device a few inches high and roughly a foot in diameter that can be rigged to be either pressure or proximity sensitive. Once planted by the Bombcrafter the device will arm itself at a set time between five and sixty seconds at the users's discretion. When triggered, a landmine will explode with a power equal to about three bombs at once, the explosion aimed vertical of placement. Purchasing this treasure gives the user an effectively unlimited number of these mines, though they will have to figure out how to carry them.

`Toxic Bomb

50 Rupees

Prerequisite to Obtain: the user must be Level 5 Bombcrafter and must know the Smoke Bomb schematic

Using a similar technology to the Smoke Bomb, a Toxic Bomb will erupt in a poisonous cloud once exploded. The cloud is easier to see through than the screen from a Smoke Bomb, but it expands to about the same size. If someone is caught inside the cloud, they will immediately feel pains in their lungs and their eyes will begin to burn. The cloud can be very damaging to an individual left exposed to it for more than just a few seconds, but holding one’s breath will hold back most of the symptoms for a time. Once obtained, the user may find these in their Bomb Bag.

`Napalm Bomb

50 Rupees

Prerequisite to Obtain: the user must be Level 5 Bombcrafter and must know the Fire Bomb schematic

Napalm Bombs are dark-red bombs that when detonated erupt in flame. Unlike the Fire Bomb, however, this fire burns much hotter and cannot be put out by water. Rather, it must be smothered or burn itself out. Once obtained, the user may find these in their Bomb Bag.

`Frost Bomb

50 Rupees

Prerequisite to Obtain: the user must be Level 5 Bombcrafter and must know the Water Bomb schematic

Covered in a thin film of permafrost, the Frost Bomb can detonate in or out of water but will usually explode on contact. These bombs are fairly unstable, and when they explode all the area immediately around it will freeze in an instant, similar in fashion to an Ice Arrow. These can be used to freeze water or enemies for a short period of time, but the explosion itself is minimal. Once obtained, the user may find these in their Bomb Bag.

Tier 3 Schematics (open)
    `Mortar
    [Explosive], [Device], [Schematic]

P5: 45 rupees
    P4: 60 rupees
    P3: 75 rupees
    P2: 100 rupees
    P1: 200 rupees

Prerequisite to Obtain: the user must be Level 7 Bombcrafter

The mortar is a heavy, metal device that can be positioned at an adjustable angle, a large cylindrical tube facing toward the sky. The Bombcrafter may load any type of bomb in their possession into the mortar, and a moment later the explosive will fire out at a high rate of speed into the sky. Depending on the angle of the tube, the bomb may be arced to hit targets at any variety of ranges. When a bomb finally lands it will explode from the impact but not any sooner.

`Portable Cannon
    [Explosive], [Device], [Schematic]

P5: 50 rupees
    P4: 65 rupees
    P3: 90 rupees
    P2: 120 rupees
    P1: 240 rupees

The Portable Cannon takes many attributes from a normal cannon and shrinks them down to a size that large humanoids can control. Heavy and cumbersome, the weapon would need to be carried on the back of a person and fired from the shoulder. Bombs of any variety can be loaded through the front of this tube-shaped device, and a blasting mechanism in the back will fire the charge. Naturally due to the size, the Portable Cannon loses some range compared to the regular cannon, but accuracy and killing power are roughly equal.

`Blasting Cloak
    Original: Ribitta, Magic-Tier – Defense
    [Protection], [Schematic]

P5: 40 rupees
    P4: 55 rupees
    P3: 75 rupees
    P2: 100 rupees
    P1: 200 rupees

A dark grey cloak, the only distinguishing mark on the Blasting Cloak is a large white skull similar to that of the Blast Mask’s. Completely inflammable and dense enough to deflect glancing projectiles, the Blasting Cloak’s primary purpose is to further reduce damage taken from explosions. So long as the wearer is a yard away from most explosions, the effect will be all but absorbed, though the concussive effect may persist. This, of course, will not serve nearly as effectively against massive explosions such as a Powder Keg or a Superbomb, but in general this item renders the Bombcrafter very difficult to kill by explosives.

Superbomb (open)
    `Superbomb
    Aka: `Big Bomb

Prerequisite to Obtain: the user must be Level 10 Bombcrafter at which point they receive this schematic for free

The Bombcrafter may only have one Superbomb at any given time and cannot trade or sell this item. Only one Superbomb may be crafted per thread.

Huge, heavy, and red, the Superbomb is perhaps one of the single-most destructive forces known to Hyrule. Its immense size of about seven feet in diameter makes it very difficult to move, requiring a cart or perhaps a large creature such as a Goron or a Dodongo to pull the explosive. Superbombs take hours if not days to create, but when they are completed they represent a huge threat to anything nearby. An explosion from a Superbomb can expand to around a hundred yards of effective blasting radius, creating an explosion with the force of a Powder Keg on a massive scale. Because of their immense destructive capabilities, Superbombs are considered widely illegal to have near any sort of civilization.
  2. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Re: Bombcraft [Open] [Review]

Since the thread says open, I`m just going to throw in my two cents. Most of this seems pretty good and I do like the idea of expanding the types of explosives available, but my problem is that several of treasure seem like copies. We already have a smoke bomb and a sticky bomb, while toxic bomb and fire bomb seem really close to poison bomb and potion of unyielding flames respectively.
  3. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

All I can say about this.... I SO FRIGGIN APPROVE. I have no criticism for you though XD
  4. Ribitta

In the library, we don't actually have a Smoke Bomb or a Poison Bomb, unless I am missing something. The other two, though, are alchemy-exclusive treasures, and part of the goal of this profession was to open up another path to some of the same effects seen elsewhere. You're right about sticky bomb, though, in that there's already an identical treasure, so I'm renaming it for now and will talk to Willow about it later.

I actually had meant to make this thread [Closed] but I guess I messed that up. For now, though, I'm changing the tag but the comments are welcome to stay.
  5. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I like this a lot. There's enough stuff in here to keep a Bombcrafter busy for ages, and I like how you balance the different tiers. You said that you can only buy a Superbomb once per RP in Level Ten's description, but can you please repeat that in the treasure's description?

Also, you said that the Superbomb is canonical, and I like that. I saw the "aka: Big Bomb" and I immediately thought of this:

[​IMG]

Is it the same thing?
  6. Ribitta

I've taken the liberty to basically combine the two treasures. If that renders it as "Borderline-canonical" then I guess that works, but the distinction is basically that it's a Superbomb the size of a Big Bomb. Given that both treasures in-game are only briefly explored, I just applied a bit of a creative license.

As for the once-per-thread, I've edited it in; sorry about that. I had meant that to be explained by "You can only have one" but that phrasing might suggest you could make and blow up a thousand of them in a single thread, which isn't the intent.
  7. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Looking this over, everything seems to be fine. It all seems fairly balanced and well thought out, to avoid abuse, yet still be flavorful and unique. One thing I do have a question about is whether or not the Mines have a set-up time at all, or if they are armed immediately after leaving the possession of the Bombcrafter.

Outside of that, I really like it, and think it would be a good addition to the existing professions.
  8. Ribitta

Good point, I've edited this part into the treasure

So if you wanted, they would blow up after a few seconds if triggered, or if you were putting several nearby then you could finish without killing yourself.
  9. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

You have my vote of approval. Have fun with this, Ribs :)
  10. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Looks good to me.