Archmage's Pathfinder [review]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

`Archmage’s Pathfinder
    Original:Tsubori (Terra), Magic-Tier - Utility - UMT
    [Magical], [Scry] [Magical]

W5 - 75
    W4 - 125
    W3 - 175
    W2 - 250

Prerequisites to use: 4 Wisdom

Focussing their magic energy into their hands, the user of this spell presses them onto the floor of any structure, be it a castle, house, ruins, or cave. The magic seeps into the ground and spreads itself throughout the area, taking every room and hallway into account. After about ten seconds, a 3d map is clearly displayed in front of the user, blue in colour. The map can be turned for different angles, Any treasure chests will be shown as a green orb, and any enemies as a red one, however flying enemies are invisible to the spell, due to the sensing requiring pressure upon the ground. Traps are also shown as black orbs, though they are given more detail so as to let the user know what the trap is.

The larger the area, the more the user will be exhausted by using the spell. A castle would likely tire them to the point of passing out, while a shack would be as strenuous as maybe a single pushup. The spell may be used outside, however it will give a set radius of 30 meters.

Whenever the user wants, they can bring up this map without touching the floor again, but they must place both hands in front of them and focus solely on bring up the map. This makes it a bad idea to attempt to do this mid combat, or in tricky situations. That said, this spell is perfect for anyone who needs to infiltrate, search for something, or just get to the end of that damn temple.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I'm going to start this off at the big stuff.

First off, I see no reason for this to be a Unique treasure.

Second, this is essentially a spell that would map the building you're in. It sounds like we could really, really easily make this into a semi-canon spell. Every LoZ dungeon has a Map that shows each room in great detail, but in SS it goes one step further by combining the Map with the Compass. In SS, each Map shows each room and each treasure chest. This spell does basically the same stuff, except in 3D. I'm thinking that it'd be really easy to make this into a semi-canon spell (which is usually preferable to a non-canon spell) by having this spell fill out a scroll or a blank piece of paper with an SS-style Map. It could work in exactly the same way; put the map on the floor, place both hands on top of it, do the magical swoosh thingy, and have the same drawbacks. It would just be on a piece of paper, rather than a 3D hologram.

Thoughts? Especially on the two things I mentioned?
  3. Tsubori

Well, not quite as flashy or impressive, even if more practical for canon :P I'd still like it to keep the detection abilities, as this isn't a very cheap spell. Also the reason I have it listed as UMT is actually because Terra created the spell. And stuff like the effect for if it's outside doesn't work quite as well for a scroll. Overall, I just think that'd be changing the spell way too much.

This spell is meant for someone to be able to look at a detailed 3d model of a place to find every hidden nook and cranny. The zelda maps, while still helpful, are nowhere near that level. At most, they tell you where you haven't been, and the general direction of the next door.
  4. Quill

I have a number of things I'd like to address.

1) The fact that this is a Unique Treasure.

Unique Treasures, by their very definition, are limited to one singular character. The Library is a public resource that people should be able to scroll through and see bunches of cool stuff they'd like to see in their characters. It would be counterproductive to make treasures that are available only to one person. If your reason for making it a UMT is as in-game as "my character made this spell," I'm going to have to ask that you make it available to the general public. It isn't helpful to have cool stuff closed off to the general population. The point of the Treasure Creation process is to improve the Library, not to make niche spells. Spells that are available only to one person don't improve the Library.

2) The fact that this is a Major Treasure.

I don't really know why this would need to go into that category.

3) The fact that this makes a floating 3D Hologram

One of the biggest rules here is that things fit into the Zelda setting. Zelda, at its core, is a Fantasy series. Fairies and evil warlocks and light spirits abound. Floating 3D Holograms are honestly much more Sci-Fi than anything present in the Zelda 'verse. Even if you say, "but magic did it," it's still Sci-Fi, except now you're changing the mechanics of it from "timey wimey wibbley wobbley" to "alakazam!" Toko has been very, very clear on this point: things have to be Zelda-y. Sorry, Tsu. I'm not sure that my telling you how to make the treasure was the best idea, so I'll leave it up to you how you make it fit, unless you ask.

3) The fact that this has a prerequisite of W4

We had this discussion during DSL. The prereq shouldn't be W4. There's almost no reason for there to be a prereq, and especially not this high. At most, W2.

4) The fact that this is very, very detailed

Most of the treasures in the Library are very vague about how they function. This is to leave room for the RolePlayer to have a little fun in writing the spell, to put their own creative flair on it. Telling them that their dots need to be exactly this color or that the map has to look exactly like this isn't really the best thing to do. Give them a little space to work with. In-game wise, I think that a wizard casting this spell would be able to change what color he wanted his dots.
  5. Tsubori

So... Pretty much the basis of this spell is rejected?
  6. Quill

Well, that depends on what your basis is. If the basis of this spell is that you can map a dungeon, then no. That's not a bad idea. If the basis of this spell is "floating 3D hologram," then yes; it's rejected.
  7. Tsubori

Tbh, I'm pretty shocked that the only reason this is being flatly rejected is because "it sounds like it'll look kind of science-fictiony". As does sweeping your hand and creating a blue barrier that blocks attacks. (Nayru's affection) A lot of other spells have the possibility to be viewed as "science fictiony" but whatever. I can't really debate the point. Here's your revised treasure.

`Archmage’s Pathfinder
    Original:Tsubori (Terra), Magic-Tier - Utility
    [Magical], [Scry] [Magical]

W5 - 75
    W4 - 125
    W3 - 175
    W2 - 250
    W1 - 400

Focussing their magic energy into their hands, the user of this spell presses them onto the floor of any structure, be it a castle, house, ruins, or cave. The magic seeps into the ground and spreads itself throughout the area, taking every room and hallway into account. After about ten seconds, a map is created underneath the user’s hands. Any treasure chests will appear as small orbs, and enemies as well, however flying enemies are invisible to the spell, due to the sensing requiring pressure upon the ground. Traps are also shown as X’es, though they are given more detail so as to let the user know what the trap is.

The larger the area, the more the user will be exhausted by using the spell. A castle would likely tire them to the point of passing out, while a shack would be as strenuous as maybe a single pushup. The spell may be used outside, however it will give a set radius of 30 meters. This spell is perfect
  8. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Leave the attitude and assumptions out of this, this isn't the place for it. You know full well that we, as staff, have been moving towards having treasures that are more in line with the Zelda universe, as opposed to not. Just because there is "precedent" (Use a better example: Nayru's Affection is essentially a weaker and smaller version of Nayru's Love, which is explained as magic in the games and appears as such. There is nothing wrong with "sci-fi" as long as it's flavored correctly, i.e. the Ancient Robots from Skyward Sword) from past treasures doesn't mean that it should automatically be allowed now.

That said, the treasure itself seems fine, now. I think it's fairly well balanced for what it does, and is priced accordingly.
  9. Quill

Agreed. Please note, however, that when this is added to the Library the "this treasure is perfect" phrase will be removed, and the fields will be altered.