Arcane Dart

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Cataphractoi, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Cataphractoi

Cataphractoi Nanase is rebooting reg

3DS Friend Code:
    3368-2140-7105
    Show Spoiler
    Arcane Dart

Arcane Dart is an offensive spell which may be used to manifest darts of pure magic and fling them at enemies. The spell is cast by pointing a finger at the target and concentrating on the spell. The dart will form and fire from the caster’s fingertip. Arcane Darts are comparable in size and power to blow-darts, and travel at roughly the same speed. As a result, the darts do relatively little damage unless they strike a vital spot or a vulnerable organ like an eye. They are also somewhat inaccurate, like firing a weapon from the hip.

The main advantage to using Arcane Darts is that they bypass almost any unnatural defenses. They will pass through armor without damaging it, and utterly ignore magical defenses like barriers. Mirror shields or similar effects will deflect the projectiles as normal, however, and natural defenses like the hardened rocks on a Goron’s back will blunt or outright stop the darts.

A spellcaster can typically fire ten Arcane Darts per minute, but never more than one per second. With one level of Magic Power, ten Arcane Darts may be fired within forty seconds, and with two levels, ten may be fired every twenty seconds. Any finger may be used to fire a dart; if the caster lacks fingers, their hand may be used with reduced accuracy.

Arcane Volley

The user may choose to acquire Arcane Volley along with Arcane Dart, or separately at a later time. This augmentation counts as a major treasure; a character that has never acquired a major treasure may obtain it normally, otherwise they must first obtain Major Gain.

To use Arcane Volley, the user must not be moving. They must put their hands together as if holding a sphere the size of a grapefruit and concentrate for ten seconds. A ball of raw magical energy will form during this time. The caster then must thrust their hands forward- upon doing so literally hundreds of Arcane Darts will begin spewing forth from the sphere and in the general direction the caster is facing. The rate of fire is approximately one hundred darts per second, for a total of ten seconds. The spell is totally inaccurate at ranges larger than ten meters, but within that range the majority of the darts can be expected to hit somewhere on the target…assuming the target is approximately the size of a Hylian, anyway. The darts are no more powerful than before, but being hit by hundreds of them is similar to being stung by an entire swarm of bees.

The caster may not move from their starting position while casting Arcane Volley, but they are capable of turning in place. Since this augmentation necessitates holding a ball of raw magic in one’s hands, the user will experience an extreme but non-damaging burning sensation for several minutes after casting it, and cannot cast it again until the sensation dissipates. Levels of Magic Power will not allow Arcane Volley to be cast more frequently, but it the user may still cast Arcane Darts freely.

Hands-Free Casting

The user may choose to acquire Hands-Free Casting along with Arcane Dart or separately at a later time, but may not possess it alongside Arcane Volley.

Hands-Free Casting enables the user to cast Arcane Darts without using their fingers. Instead, the darts manifest freely anywhere within a foot of the user’s body, and are fired exactly where the user’s eyes are pointing. This makes the spell far more accurate against stationary targets, although the lack of control after firing means the darts are no more useful against a dodging opponent.

Have a magic missile O:
    Yeah I needed a break from writing race pages so this happened
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

There's a couple minor problems. First, 'Arcane' is one of several words specifically never used in the Library--as despite being used as 'this is basically magic' in D&D and almost everything based on it, the word has never been used in Zelda canon. 'Magic Dart' and 'Magic Volley' would be fitting, if you wouldn't mind the change.

Second, Major treasures are intentionally never augments. The main reason for this is that otherwise they cannot be categorized properly. Furthermore, it seems like Arcane Volley is not at all dependent on Arcane Dart, as the two seem to use separate time delays. If it's fine with you, I would make Arcane Volley its own treasure, with a cost reduction perhaps if Arcane Dart was already learned. (It would share this trait wit Cannon Shout, among others.)

...I still find myself wanting a second opinion--probably from Cloud, since he might actually know the library better than me at this point.

But If you're alright with those two changes, it'll be good enough for me, and I'll add it to the library.
  3. Cataphractoi

Cataphractoi Nanase is rebooting reg

3DS Friend Code:
    3368-2140-7105
    Magic Volley sounds a lot less cool than Arcane Volley, but if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

Splitting them off, though, is totally fine with me.
  4. Chaos James

Chaos James Bastion of Debauchery vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    I think the "Magic" naming scheme for it works, as it falls in line with other non-Elemental "Arcane" magics, like Magic Bolt and Magical Rod.

On a side note, having a section in the Treasure Creation guide (at some point when convenient) that covers Naming Conventions and such for Hyrule Castle, such as specifying that "Arcane" doesn't exist, but "Magic" would be a fitting comparison.

(Sorry if this is the wrong place for it, just thought I'd chime in with what thoughts I had.)
  5. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Magic Cart and Magic Volley have been added accordingly. Please let me know if there are any problems, concerns, questions, or "omfg Guy why did you do that"s.
  6. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Um, only barely on-topic, but
    "...treasures the user possesses, Power Shot's cast category is reduced one..."
    Is what I just copypasta'd from Cannon Shout. I assume that needs to be fixed?
  7. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Ayup. It's been fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.
  8. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

*Shrug* It's not like I'm cat up there, posting all that amazing race lore. Just checking for inconsistencies :P