Aerial glyph

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Name: Aerial Glyph

P/W/C Type: W or C

Appearance: A paper thin platform of white below the user, about three feet squared, seeming very complex in design. It also glows. 

Description of Function: When the user is in mid-air, they may instantly summon an Aerial Glyph under their feet, the light acting as a magical platform of sorts. Once kicked off of, the platform vanishes, as it also does when te user spends more than two seconds on the platform. 

The platform, when made, can be angled by angling the feet, giving the user much better air navigation. 

Limitations: Only one glyph may be used until the user reaches non-magical, physical ground again. 
  2. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

So, at this point I'm thinking probably not, for this treasure. It's basically just a complicated way of giving the person a double jump, which is already covered by the Roc's Cape. Unless you changed this to an addition to the Jump spell, maybe with a "If the user has W4, this spell allows someone to jump a second time before landing, but only to the extent they would be able to normally jump."

But for Aerial Glyph itself I don't see this passing, simply because it's already covered by another treasure. I get there are some differences, but I don't think they're enough to justify a completely new treasure.
  3. Tsubori

I actually imagined it being used in conjuncture with treasures like Wall jump or the Roc's cape. With the Roc's cape, you can get an effective 4 jumps in the air total, making you a mobility machine. Wall jump can use this to simply make the walls to wall jump off of. Also, all you need is one wall, and a Gerudo could wall jump right to the top of it with her own created platforms and the wall. Still not enough?
  4. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

Well, see, that's kind of the problem right there--you can get like 4 jumps in. When Link is usually lucky if he can jump even ONCE, let alone twice. I'll be the first to admit that I don't look at balance when dealing with treasures, feeling they should be boons, but treasures for the most part can't be too much of a boon. Something like this just makes things too easy.
  5. Tsubori

Is there any way to gimp it to make it workable then?
  6. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

Not particularly. We've already got a treasure that gives you access to a double jump, and you really can't find a reasonable way of limiting this due to it.
  7. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Yeah, and this falls into a similar boat of the treasure that made speed glyphs on the ground. It's just kind of a funky mechanic, and we already have things that can perform it more canonically. I think it's time to close the book on this one, Tsu, sorry about that.