A "User's Projects" forum?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Ribitta, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

This is just a suggestion, with nothing remotely set in stone, not the idea or even the name. I'd really like to get a sense for how you guys feel about this, if you think it would be useful or annoying, and if you think it would add or detract from the site.

Would you guys find a sort of "User's Projects" forum--probably a sub-forum under RP Discussion--useful?

Basically the idea is for a spot you guys could sort of plan things, set things up, work cooperatively with one another, and have a better semblance of organization throughout the process. If you wanted to set up a 'Guild' of sorts, even though they're not an official mechanism right now, you could have a space to do it in this forum. If you wanted to plan a long term story arc, large movement of many characters or players, or something else, you could have this space to do it more effectively.

Technically speaking, you can already do that in the RP Discussion forum, but I am wondering if a separate sub-forum would be useful despite that. It would allow people to organize all their projects in the same place, making it easier to find things and differentiate between them. The issue I see in the current setup is that the cool ideas you guys have kind of get lost underneath everything else, by both members and even the staff.

Long-winded Reasoning Behind the Idea (open)
    If, for example, someone wanted to get their character involved in something bigger that wasn't the "official plot" or whatever, then they could have a resource available to see all the projects the members themselves have been working on. Whether it's the Sage's Academy or HAREON or the Order of Din or something else entirely, you could have a less hidden way of showcasing those ideas and ongoing projects.

One of the things that's been brought up in the last few weeks is the idea of a 'Bank of Hyrule' sort of thing. From an official standpoint, the staff currently finds it difficult to launch a full-scale system that would affect the whole site, despite how very cool it would be. The fear is that the thing might simply not have enough people, might not gain traction, and it simply exist to confuse people and collect dust. However, such an idea would be really cool if it came from you guys.

You could collect a number of people with a larger amount of capital. Set up an official headquarters for it in HCT perhaps, ICly speaking of course, and then try and market it to your fellow members. Maybe you want to make loans, maybe you want there to be interest involved, or maybe you want to talk about financing a huge purchase. I could think of a number of things you guys could do simply among yourselves. All this to say, if you guys think this would be helpful--that it would facilitate roleplay, creativity, or simply ideas--then I think it might be neat to give you a place to do that.

Another thing that runs through my mind is the idea of a 'Guild' in the historical sense of the word. Craftsmen, professionals, people for hire, and more could all fit under that category. Want to make something that requires Tier 3 crafting but can't afford the profession? Network it, create something bigger, get something going that's cool for both IC and OOC reasons.

Anyway, those are just the things that come to my mind, and they're merely ideas, not even suggestions.

The real suggestion is, would you guys find this useful? I've every bit a peaceful mind of simply going "Ah well, not enough people would use it, perhaps it won't work out after all" but hey, that's what the suggestion bin is for, yeah?

Let me know!
    Guy likes this.
  2. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

It does sound like a cool idea...
    And there ARE a few projects that I've had in mind that this could be the starting point for...
    I vote "yes" for this proposal (even though no vote is called for).
  3. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Bumping this because I know some people never responded to the thread but commented it on the cbox. If we will make this happen, it needs public support :V

Another thing that came to my mind is that staff could potentially contribute to this forum in a semi-official way by having the NPC start things like this as well. Instead of having to post things like the Dream Twister as an official thing that everyone needs to read, the NPC could theoretically just "open shop" and highlight the rules in there. If it does well then great, and if not then no harm done.

"Yea"s and "Nay"s would be most helpful on this matter.
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

While I'm not a supporter of having a separate subforum, I've always been a huge supporter of what you call "User Projects." I like seeing members proactively creating their own projects and plans in unique, unexpected ways. If the presence of a subforum like this would encourage those sorts of actions, then I'm all for it.

If the forum still sits there months later without seeing use, however, then perhaps it would be better off removed. I don't see how a trial run would hurt, regardless.
    Bitoko and Ribitta like this.