A New Dawn

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Guy, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy

Guy Admin admin

(Continued from here: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=154&start=40)

Filled with a momentary amnesia, Guy found his wooden face shoved into netting. Jumping up in mild start, the Scrub then found himself floundering around in what felt like a fishnet, before tumbling through the air and crashing into the plush carpet beneath his hammock. With a soft growl, he maneuvered himself to his feet, and re-examined his surroundings. Yes, it was all returning to him now...

Even with the soundproofed floors, he was nonetheless surprised he slept through the ruckus that was no-doubt going all night long downstairs in the pub.

Dante was a short distance away, seemingly still asleep in the king-size, silk-sheeted bed several dozen times the mass of his own body. Guy's glance turned to the turned-over hemp hammock from which he himself awoke--the single thin black sheet once draped over it was now in a pile on the ground. The ropes, weaponry, and saxophone normally attached to his body were on the floor as well. Presumably, such items had been removed from his person last night at a time he could not remember. He took no time snatching up his few treasured positions and re-affixing them to his body, alongside the scarf, pants, and boots which never seemed to part ways with his wooden flesh. Guy wished to no more than imagine how... naked he would feel without them. After all, being a plant, he never showered and had no reason to undress...

Once his items had been recovered, he performed a few morning stretches, and cracked the various joints on his body. As per usual, he began the day with a dozen or so rudimentary exercises: sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups against the door, knife juggling, and the like. On this new dawn, he added a long-forgotten routine to his morning repertoire: taking a few vertical wall-walking laps around the room, just to make sure such an invaluable skill never became so dull as it had the day before.

After about an hour of such preparation, his stomach bellowed out a roar of a grumble. Though he didn't necessarily need the food of Hylians, his body had become so corrupted by it that he craved it... almost as an addition. He groaned in mild annoyance at this thought, which normally lay retreated in his mind. Some day his gluttony would be the death of him. For now, while the hunger was still weak, he managed to subside it and move his mind to other matters.

Only now did he finally glance towards the light flitting in through the window's curtains. With this, he gave an estimate at the time of day. It was no longer dawn, but still relatively early in the morning, with an orange-yellow sky. Silently, he gave thanks to his humble hammock. Its familiar method of shocking him awake made the morning so much easier on his aging body.

In the midst of waiting for Dante to awaken, Guy perched himself back upon his hammock. He sat with legs crossed and chin upon his palm, as he pondered about what the two of them discussed the day prior. Consequently, his mind was also soon filled with thoughts of the imminent future... and of forming plans...
  2. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Luckily for Guy, Dante wasn't awake to witness his acrobatic display in the hammock, which ended with its depositing of him on the ground. Guy had found what seemed to Dante to be one of the softest, most luxurious beds in Hyrule. Normally a man that snored while he slept, a Deku's snores sounding much like a hollow whistle, Dante found so much comfort in the bed that he was completely and utterly incapacitated by its velvety sheets. Trapped in a prison of silk, Dante appeared as if he had fought some invisible enemy, sprawled all over the entirety of the bed. He did not wake until the first rays of light played against his face, burning through his eyelids. They fluttered open sleepily as Dante began to rub his eyes with balled fists, then sat up. He had slept well, having had not slept since he rode out from the Kokiri Forest, and was finding it difficult to get up. Still wrapped in blankets, he slowly began to untie himself.

As he did so, he noticed that Guy was awake, seemed to be thinking about something. Dante decided to let him be for the moment, and prepare himself for the day as Guy had done just an hour earlier. Slipping off from the side of the bed, he began to clothe himself with his tunic and other articles that he'd deposited at the side of his bed. He fingered at the clothing, wondered why they did it. His clothing didn't even offer any protection from harm. Perhaps it was because Guy and himself spent so much time within Hylian society, where clothes are not only the social norm, but also a necessity. He could only chuckle to himself, how shocked the Hylians might be if he decided to go streaking through the city. There was nothing to see, but still, it would amuse him greatly. Shaking his head, he walked to the table where he had placed his other belongings.

Now what? He'd found Guy, after relatively little time. Dante had expected to find his companion after a great deal of searching; after all, Guy was certainly an illusive man. Truth be told, Dante had thought that he'd have more time think about what he was to do, for his revenge against Ganondorf. Yet... In his journey here, since he had found Guy, had been surprisingly happy. His heart still ached for Scytale's death, yet revenge seemed less important than before. Living in a cave in relative solitude had caused his anger and hatred to fester within him; a hate which still shook his body whenever his thoughts lingered on his adopted son. Dante looked at his hands, realized they no longer trembled. This hatred of mine... I must be rid of it. He thought quietly to himself, pausing before picking up one of his gauntlets. He smiled slightly, sadly, his wooden mouth compressing slightly. He had forgotten what it meant to be a true adventurer. To allow hate to interfere would be to dance with death; it would dull his senses, overcome him, and ultimately lead to his destruction.

He closed his eyes, thinking for a moment. Perhaps revenge is not what I need... But justice instead. Justice. Unlike vengeance, justice was not stupid, petty, or immature. Rather than focus upon Ganon himself, a task that would surely lead to Dante's death, and possibly his comrades both new and old, justice would dictate that all darkness had to be punished. During his time in the bar, he'd heard of a new town under construction; Impa it was called. Perhaps this was where he was meant to be, in order to help the Northern Hylians push against Ganon's forces. A noble aim indeed. Dante would remember to propose this to Guy, when they began to formulate their plans. Of course, there would probably be relatively decent pay... And they would need a good deal of rupees, both for the Brigade and its ship. Finished with the straps of his gauntlets, Dante turned to Guy.

"Ready."
  3. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Guy was absent-mindedly watching Dante as he went through the motions of arising from bed, still preoccupied with his own thoughts. It wasn't until his comrade finally uttered a word did he snap back into reality, "Morning."

After a slight yawn, he hopped down from the hammock, already quite prepared for the day. His eyes glanced towards the door--towards what would lead them downstairs, into what might be a mess of half-conscious drunks, or perhaps hotel patrons eating warm breakfasts. Regardless, Guy had already decided this initial discussion with Dante was to be private. He hated attempting to have a deep discussion in public, particularly under these circumstances.

"Dante," he mused, "I have been putting thought into how to execute the plans we brought up on the trek here..." He proceeded to walk around the room, now realizing his legs were still mildly sore from his morning ritual. Perhaps the mountain was the culprit. Regardless, "What you suggested--that we train some locals in the ways of combat--would likely be a good place to start. I imagine it would give us a decently-sized fund to fuel our other plans. It would also help to prevent Ganon's forces from overtaking this place. As benevolent as that might sound, it surely wouldn't help us to have an amazing resource like Nabooru be destroyed. Despite their shortcomings, Hylians are a gratuitous bunch; they remember their heroes..."

"I suppose we should focus on gathering trainable recruits today, perhaps gaining the support of the local government, and then spend the rest of the week giving them the basics of martial combat. We might as well go with your suggestions of spears, as they're cheap and relatively simple to use, and bows, as they work wonders for defending a place. Hopefully the guards here wouldn't mind sparing their weapons for a few hours each day, considering it's for a good cause..."

Guy's voice was growing a bit faster now, less of wandering in thought and more of laying down concrete plans. "After this, or perhaps during the down-time of training, I suggest we go out into the forest and chop ourselves a tree. You could then use the wood to construct the commshells we were discussing the other day, assuming you know or learn how to do so... I would personally suggest we make a dozen or so for now, and hand them off to new comrades as we find them."

"Which leads me to my next point: we should of course be seeking worthwhile comrades at all times. Someone highly capable, and someone we are prepared to trust with our lives. While it would be nice to simply amass a rag-tag army to follow us, I've found through the years that a tightly-knit brigade of elites is much more effective and efficient at just about anything except brute force or defending a town." He shrugged, "Which I suppose is why we're training the Hylians to do that for us--it might even be in our best interest to do that in other towns. Regardless, we don't want to be squandering our resources on someone who isn't worth it."

"After that, I suppose we should find some sort of warehouse or other suitable structure... whether it be here in Nabooru or of some other town. Whatever we choose to use, both of us must put a great deal of consideration into it. For this place will serve as our headquarters, and be the hangar in which you construct the Great Deku Flying Machine--a process I expect to take months, particularly if we don't find comrades who could assist in that endeavor you better than I."

Abruptly, his lengthly monologue came to an end. His eyes searched the air and the room in silence for several seconds, before he finally ended it with, "Anyway, what is your opinion of this?" He stared blankly at Dante, somewhat surprised he--seemingly--managed to pay heed the entire time. "Perhaps most importantly, do you know of any place we could find a suitable hangar?"
  4. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Dante reached up to scratch at his head, his head leaf bobbing up and down slightly. That was quite a lot to dump on a man, after he had just woken up. Guy must have been thinking for awhile, the small scrub thought to himself. Despite being mildly sleepy still, he felt refreshed and had caught most of what his counterpart had said. As usual, Guy didn't disappoint; his plans already seemed to be fairly concrete, and had a good deal of reason backing them. Dante could refute nothing. So, he decided to begin where Guy had started, with the topic of training the Hylians. While he organized his thoughts, Dante began his own morning stretches; he usually stretched with his possessions on, finding that their added weight helped to adjust his body to the weight he would be experiencing during battle. Bending town to touch his toes, he heard the creak of his wooden body. One could tell the difference between the Deku with their morning exercises. Dante was almost the opposite of Guy; whereas Guy combined superior dexterity with sizable strength, Dante used his quick wit and just as formidable skill. This resulted in their highly different builds; Guy was a compact killing machine, whose small appearance hid his perfectly sculpted Deku body capable of quick speeds and powerful strikes. On the other hand, Dante trained his body to be flexible and have elastic muscle, that would react at the exact moment his mind commanded it. Lunging out with one leg, Dante continued his stretches and began to speak.

Dante nodded to Guy for a second, as he bobbed down. "Training the Hylians here will not only bring us much needed funding, but will make it much more simple when it comes to establishing a base of operations here. As you said, Nabooru is a valuable resource, not only in defending against Ganon's forces, but for its natural resources as well. The timber that grows near here seems to, from what I saw, be suitable for creating a ship." Dante paused for a moment, grunting as he stood up. He quickly began to move his feet in circular patterns, alternating between right and left, almost as if he were dancing. Shifting his weight fluidly, he continued again. "But starting a militia may not be as easy as we think... Gaining the support of the local government is our top priority; with their help, gaining volunteers should be relatively simple after that. We could even have them instate a draft, if needed, to at least get all men-of-age battle ready..." Dante thought for a moment. He stopped his movements, thought, began again with a different pattern. "It would be best if you tried to negotiate with them. You seem fairly well known around here... At least, better than myself. We may even be able to enlist that other fellow... Victus? Being a cleric, he might hold some sway over the government here..." Dante mused.

Walking to a wall, Dante kicked his right leg up, rested the ball of his foot against the wall and leaned forward, doing a vertical splits so to speak. "As for training itself, making bows and spears should be relatively simple. I will be able to teach them the process of creating both, as well as how to handle them. We will need straw dummies for the first few days of training, which will just be bales of hay tied to wooden posts..." Dante began to run the logistics in his head, remembering the time when he had once managed a much larger force. He began to name off a few things on his list, muttering, not really talking to anyone but himself. "Chain of command... Formations... Supplies..." He thought out loud. "Lastly, if we want a fighting force that will stand even a chance against Ganon's army, they will need real combat experience. My proposition is as such; after basic training, we each take a half of the volunteers and train them separately. At the end of the week, we pit them against each other with dummy weapons." Dante stopped stretching, looked at Guy, chuckled. "If competition isn't enough to motivate you, then we could always have a bet, hmm? Whoever loses owes the other a favor, no questions asked?" He laughed slightly, eyes glinting, wondering if Guy would accept.

"Anyways, lastly is the brigade. We should make a list of what we are searching for; for example, a helmsman. I can't pilot a ship well, and I'm sure you'd rather not have your hands tied to the wheel." Dante cocked his head to the side. "As for the ship itself, I'm sure we can find a barn around here, or perhaps in the fields just north, to keep the ship." Dante finished his reply, and it seemed his stretches as well.
  5. Guy

Guy Admin admin

After Dante's wordy response was finished, Guy took a few moments to silently muse on what had been said thus far. He proceeded to take a couple paces to one side, then back, only to continuously repeat the process as he began to speak, "In truth, I'm not sure how well I stand with the government officials here. While I am indeed somewhat renowned and respected by, shall we say, commoners, rebels, and certain independent forces... I've never done anything particularly noteworthy for the guards of Nabooru, nor any living politicians. In fact, considering how I was something of a wanted man in Castle Town a while back, it seems more likely they might be opposed to me." His eyes glanced towards the door, and in a moment, he moved towards it, "After we get some breakfast and take care of Gordon, we might as well head to the local church. I believe you were correct in theorizing he might have some decent sway. He also seems to have that holier-than-thou attitude, which I suppose is common ground with politicians and royalty alike. And you know those folks always adore the religious."

He proceeded to twist open the door and head out into the hallway, though he ended up abruptly stopping and turning about to face Dante through the vacant door frame. "Enticing as a competition sounds, I wonder if it would be wisest to split them up. You're better at crafting weapons and at large-scale tactics, whereas I'm more proficient at weapon training. I believe it might be better for us to have two separate groups we rotate between." He began to smirk, "Although we could still have a competition at the end, regardless. Afterwards, if they perform well enough, it might be a good idea to take them out to fight some of the local feral monsters as well, since there'd be a greater sense of danger..."

"And yes, that's a good idea about making a list. Aside from a helmsman, we could definitely use an armorer, a merchant, a potioncrafter, a stealth expert, perhaps a blacksmith... and of course several competent soldiers. Arguably most important would be someone with strong healing magic to back us up in or after combat; perhaps a cleric like Victus? Having a back-up woodsmith and mechanic to assist us with the construction and maintenance GDFM would likely be in our best interest as well."

His eyes shifted to the left and his hand was placed upon his chin, "More important than creating a list, though, is that we make sure everyone to become a part of us has something significant to contribute. Not that we shouldn't make the list, mind, but just leave open room for individuals to join it even if they don't fit into a category we ourselves have made." His eyes returned focus to Dante, though his hand remained against his wooden chin, "Regardless, what positions you have in mind for this list? I'm sure you have a few already formed, if you're making the suggestion."
  6. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Dante nodded, agreeing with what Guy had to say, knowing full well that Guy would probably become the mastermind behind all of their plans. He smiled slightly. This was the way that he preferred it anyways; Dante had always been more of a follower. Though, follower wasn't exactly the word for it either. Nonetheless, Dante was extremely happy that Guy seemed to be taking charge, both with their military endeavors and with the brigade as well. That left Dante both more time to work on their Great Deku Flying Machine, and more time to remember his time as an artisan. His hands remembered, each finger recalling every turn of the knife, every placement of a screw. But his mind did not have the ingenious spark it used to, and his eyes could no longer see the infinite possibilities in a simple plank of wood. Dante laughed at himself slightly. Guy was right; they needed another mechanic and wood worker. He was getting old.

Dante smiled wryly. Enough of this sentimental bull crap. "Yeah, we're going to need another mechanic to help. As things are, I can probably build most of the ship by myself, but it would go faster with another helping hand... What I worry about is the maintenance of it once it's built. I never was the kind of Deku to stay in one place, so I can't be fixing the ship up all the time." Dante agreed, nodding his head. "I don't have much else to ask for, though... A demolitions expert might be nice, since cannons were originally part of the blueprint. And of course a captain. But I think we've already got that covered." Dante chuckled, hand covering his mouth lightly as he did so. Walking past Guy and out the door, Dante looked down the stairs and was instantly assailed by a wall of noises and smells. "Though I don't usually indulge in doing so, it smells good. We should get some breakfast." with that, he started down the stairs.
  7. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    As he descended the stairs, Dante was immediately assailed by a slurry of scents, many of which we pleasant and gave him a craving for Hylian food. Though he usually didn't indulge himself by eating anything other than the natural energy given to him by the sun, or the occasional fruit and vegetable, he figured he could make an exception. He suspected that the savory smell in the air came from sizzling bacon, frying eggs, and roasted potatoes. Of everything he had ever eaten, be it of the Hylians or of some other race, those three in concert created a trifecta nearly as holy as the Triforce itself. Pushing his way through fleshy obstacles, he managed to snag himself and Guy seats at the bar. Pulling his diminutive stature onto a wooden stool, he looked around him, his mouth watering with sap. His body, sensing the impending feast, was palpating. Slamming his fist on the bar, Dante yelled out a definitive "I'll have what he's having!" and began his impatient wait for his food.

As they waited for their orders, Dante and Guy laid out their plans. It seemed that Guy was still waiting for his allies to arrive in Nabooru; rather than simply wait with him, Dante decided that it was in the Brigade's best interest for them to separate at the moment. During the night, Dante had heard of the new town being erected: Impa it was called. He believed that a fortune could be made there, enough to maybe make a dent in the considerable sum that would be required to make the Great Deku Flying Machine. But for the long journey, Dante would need a travelling partner, someone he could trust. Seeing as Guy was going to be indisposed for an undefined amount of time, Dante was left one choice: Victus. Luckily, the two had business with the scrub still. First, they needed his help to convince the local government to allow a Brigade base to be established there. Secondly, though Dante was loathe to admit it, Victus was a strong candidate for membership into the Brigade. Dante would be tasked with extending a formal invitation.

Plans formed, Dante began to devour his food, shoving as much of the "breakfast" foods down his throat. There was no distinction between meal times for the Deku; there was either Day or Night, food coming in the Day with the sun's rising. But "breakfast"... Breakfast was something of the goddesses, Dante was sure. Only they could have created such a blessing upon all of Hyrule. As he chewed through the perfectly cooked eggs, Dante thought about how he would approach Victus. Dante had been in a fowl mood when they had first met; he'd been wounded only a bit before, in a fight with Ganon's forces. Before that, he had lived within a cave as a hermit, and had apparently forgotten how to socialize. Sighing, he nibbled on a piece of bacon. He supposed that this would be the "perfect" opportunity to reacquaint himself with society. Spearing the last of the potatoes through with a fork, he placed it slowly in his mouth, savoring the buttery, salty, and spiced goodness that was the the breakfast potato. Hiccuping slightly, Dante turned to Guy with a straight and serious face. "Alright, so, we'll meet in Impa, oka-- hic!" Dante tried to conceal the hiccup through a cough, but failed miserably. "Okay?" He coughed again, and after an awkward moment, he hopped off his stool and began to head towards the Church of Nayru. Hopefully Victus would be there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.