A modern Zelda - Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Zelda Discussion' started by Double_r111, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Would you play a modern Zelda game?

1. Definitely

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Maybe

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. No

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

The idea of a modern Zelda is often tossed around in the Zelda fandom, and I want to know what HC thinks of it. Would a modern Zelda be good? What would you want to see from it if it was made? Would you want it to be made? That kind of stuff.

Personally, I have mixed feelings on the idea of a modern Zelda. On one hand, it would bring some cool new ideas to the table, and be an interesting change of pace. It could be quite different and even fun. On the other hand, it's a modern Zelda. Part of the appeal of Zelda is its medieval fantasy feeling, even with more modern bits of technology such as trains.
  2. Fcgfyv

Fcgfyv Knight of Mind reg

It really depends on what we're talking about here. In Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, we can see some advancement to modern day, especially with the transportation. But the games are always archaic, so depending on how they would do it, it could either be really cool and innovative or it will reach a point where it's barely The Legend of Zelda anymore.
  3. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I chose "definitely" because, well, I live and breathe Zelda. I would play a Modern Zelda if it came out- that's just a fact. Whether I would like it or not is something different.

I love the medieval theme of Zelda, and I don't really want that to change. I feel like there are better things that Nintendo could do to fix the series' problems or bring new things to it than change the setting so drastically. I've always been a fan of the "ancient technology" idea, especially when it's coupled with magic, but a modern Zelda? Like Finc said, it depends on how they do it, but my initial reaction is 'no.'
  4. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    My initial reaction to the mental image is a mental recoil. I'm very drawn to the medieval theming of the Zelda world and I'm willing to overlook things like steam-powered boats and trains since the rest of the setting has never been affected by them as much as it could have been.

What draws me to games like Zelda is the fact that they are NOT set in a modern setting- it allows me to get away from the real world better than a modern-day game can. I'm personally overcome with disgust whenever I read something about a modern Zelda or the like.

It's strong enough that I most likely wouldn't even play a modern-day setting Fire Emblem, let alone a modern Zelda. So yeah, I'm gonna have to go with no on this one.
  5. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

It all depends on how and why and. If it was well done, I'd definitely play it, I've even seen some very neat designs and ideas (from fans of course) for a steampunk-themed Zelda.

The only problem I see is that I'm not really sure how Zelda'd translate to a modern-day setting, without losing the "Zelda-feel".
  6. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

Yeah. I'm with Squishy here. I think it could be done, but it wouldn't be easy.
  7. Clank

Clank Can we please kill the overuse of AJAX? reg

If it was done right it would be nice, but it is quite risky for Nintendo and I doubt they would do that.
  8. Vexion

Vexion New Member new

I disagree with the idea of a modern day Zelda title. All of the games in the genre has a somewhat medievil timeset. I believe that and the storyline is what keeps the series so popular.
  9. Hyrulian Hero

Hyrulian Hero Member new

Same reason I didn't like Fable going modern. It wasn't Fable anymore, it was a poorly planned gimmick. Like Assassin's of the Caribbean and Mel Gibson's Creed before it were gimmicks. Like the Fonz and his shark or Indy in the fridge, gimmicky. Zelda's always had a fantasy feel underlayed with some western medieval archetypes, eastern allure, Indian significance, Arabian genre, and a few modern tropes and tchotchkes reminiscent of today's items. The Pirate's Charm Cell Phone, the Pictograph Box, the TINGLE TUNER! These things ensure that Zelda isn't taken 100% seriously and that the 4th wall is missing a few studs. These effects, however, are not the basis for the series and are not gimmicks meant to "keep the game fresh" (or as developers think, to get kids to their next gaming high). Zelda is creeping up toward 30 years and hasn't shown the slightest sign of slowing down. If you've been following Zelda since '86 the whole way and have an intimate knowledge of how and why it works, you probably have a solid view on the series and that kind of opinion has merit. I know I haven't, I started playing at OoT so my view falls short. Even though the series hasn't changed its formula in all this time, Nintendo has been around for well over 100 years and knows how to run a business. Even if I don't understand why Zelda works so well, I trust Miyamoto to do the right thing for the series. I hate the idea of a modern Zelda and I think that it would kill the series or at least be a black sheep worse than The Wand of Gameleon, but if Miyamoto tries it, who am I to stand in the way? I'll tell you one thing, Link and Dark Link need to use their wonder twin powers one of these days.