Kokiri Brats Versus Kidnapping Prats [Eevachu + Electronic Ink]

Discussion in 'Great Sea' started by Eevachu, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Dee had failed to keep up with them. Expected.

"Firstly," he interjected. "Do not call me that again. My name is Rika." He demanded, before pausing for but a moment at the surprise of offering his name to her so freely. Was it really annoying him so much? "Secondly," he continued, "if that is all you gathered, you are more of a fool than I thought." She probably responded angrily, but Rika cared little, continuing his explanation. "I assume even you have noticed the weather, yes? Not exactly the best for rooftop smuggling. Yet, despite that, those crossbowmen were ready in position to attack us as soon as we engaged their comrade. That was not coincidence at play- this was a planned operation. They have organized this thoroughly as well, too, it seems. If I had to guess, the ground-men trail and isolate targets, while the roof-men scout and provide backup should any wanton hero or guardsman interfere." Rika turned the corner- they had now returned to the alley where the confrontation had begun. "Are you able to infer what this means?" He condescendingly asked, before explaining anyway. "This is an operation bigger than a simple kidnapping or smuggling ring. I would not be surprised if these pirates hold considerable status on the seas."

". . . Though, typical pirates would be far too dull for my tastes." The words had but a moment to escape Rika's mouth before he realized he had shared essentially the same thought as Dee mere moments before. They had a similar mindset in that, it seemed- but the fact that girl thought anything like him was revoltingly vile. He quickly tried to change the subject, hoping she missed his words over the rain.

". . . As for what I am doing here, you should already be aware, unless your memory is really that bad. I am here on a job to guard the children during their travel. If one of the kids is kidnapped, it would be a poor reflection of my capabilities as a bodyguard. Plus, chasing pirates across rooftops is far more interesting an activity than watching Earli eat snot for the tenth time in an hour."

His explanation finished, he glanced back at Dee. "I will regroup with Larina and once I confirm her safety, will seek out the other two children if necessary. I assume you will follow even when I tell you to leave." He called out, before adding, ". . . Then, why are you so interested in these pirates? Do you act so rude to everyone you meet?"
  2. Electronic Ink

Electronic Ink local zora vet

Dee was incensed by Rika’s own investigative skills.

“Of course I know that,” she sniffed, reaching up to squeeze water out of her braids. They were soaked again a second later, so there clearly wasn’t much point to it, but the cascade of water down the back of her neck forced an involuntary shudder. It was cold out here. “I just said they’re competent. I know it’s not a simple ring. Are you just repeating what I say so you can try and look smart? It’s not working!”

She blinked in surprise as Rika… agreed with her? Huh. Ew. Grosssss. But also, um, that… wasn’t too terrible. It meant he was at the very least smart enough to recognise that Dee was right! Recognising that she was smarter than you was a valuable skill, and it was deeply pleasing to recognise that Jerk had it.

“No, no,” she waved a hand dismissively at Rika’s explanation, the bells on her wrists chiming. “I know you’re a hired patty. But…” She hissed through her teeth a little as she tried to work out her next sentence without it coming across like she was complementing him or something. “You don’t… seem like an absolute simpleton.” Her nose was wrinkled with the distaste of having to actually say that. “Like. You’re pretty damn thick. Crazily so. I don’t think I’ve met anyone so thick in years. It’s actually impressive how much of a moron you are. But you’re not brain-damaged. You hate idiot kids as much as I do. All you’re hired to do is make sure your particular set of thumbsuckers stays safe chewing on their own toes, it’s not your problem about the pirates. So why do you give a hoot about chasing them all down?”

She kicked at a puddle on the ground, wishing she still had a living Gomgossa to shove at Rika. That would make sure the shithead actually listened to her and stopped acting like he was so smart. “I’m interested in the pirates cause I’m getting paid to figure out who they are, what they’re doing, and I get a bonus if I can make them stop doing it. Easy money, I don’t care about these idiots,” she scoffed, looping her thumbs through her belt. “And screw you, I’m not rude. I just don’t waste my time with people who are too stupid to understand what I’m saying, yknow?”

The bazaar was fairly empty, but there was the kid, standing with an over-tired looking guard. The armoured Hylian straightened when he saw them, probably thinking they were more runaway children, but Dee ignored him and bodily grabbed Larina’s hand. “Lead the way, Rika,” she huffed, ignoring the guard. Rika could deal with him, if he decided to be an issue. Dee wanted to get this kid back somewhere where she didn’t have to worry about her being a liability and work out how they were going to chase down these damn pirates.

...And somewhere she could grow a new Gomgossa. This was ridiculous.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  3. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

"If you were listening," Rika added, "I already stated why I am pursuing these pirates." This girl seemed to enjoy running her mouth, but Rika surprisingly gave little care to it. After all, why would he care what such a foolish girl thought? "At least one word from your foolish, imprudent rambling is true, if only that. I loathe watching these kids. Do not think I pursue these pirates out of the kindness of my heart- I am not so naive a person as to do so. It is BECAUSE I loathe these children that pursuing pirates seems far more interesting an activity. I would not have taken this job had I known I would be watching these brats. The fact these two tasks align makes it all the more feasible to do." Still, though, she was essentially working as a sell-sword. Good, then, that she wasn't some goody-two-shoes trying to 'help the orphans' or whatever it is the flavor of the week adventurer typically says to justify their boring lives. Wait, did Rika. . .agree with her again? He groaned- the similarities he held with this girl stung at his mind. Just considering the possibility they were alike gave him an ulcer.

Rika rolled his eyes. "And you -are- rude. You made a feeble attempt at insulting me no less than nine times. You realize insulting someone is considered rude, yes? That's essentially the definition of the word." He pompously lectured, small, mocking huffs escaping as he spoke. It was fine for Rika, though. She had said that she would not waste her time with those stupider than her, and was willingly choosing to follow him even with his dismissal of her aid. It was obvious because she needed his assistance, but that essentially was her saying he was smarter than her. He almost pitied her, in a way- she may have even showed signs of intelligence, with some of her thoughts aligning with that of Rika's- not that he would ever acknowledge that, anyway, - and was taking steps to counteract the foolishness Kokiri had. Still, though, there was a lot of progress required on her part to not be an idiot.

Regardless, their conversation had come to a halt as they had managed to locate Larina, who was being supervised by a soldier. "Rika!" She called out as the duo approached, though Dee was the more forward of the two. Rather bold for someone who hated those brats. . .

The soldier seemed to want to interject, but Rika shut him down before he could speak. "I am her guard and will be taking her. Should you want to find issue with that, perhaps you should focus that energy on doing your damn job. There are pirates lurking your city, on YOUR watch and abducting these children. We have disabled a handful of them, but others looked to escape- if you gather a team to pursue them, perhaps you can actually accomplish something for once. But do not worry- I will do your job for you and apprehend them, because I know nothing will be done by your lot's hand." Rika spat out, leaving the guard at a loss for words. Who was this kid and how did he have the audacity to talk to him like that? By the time he thought to respond, the trio had already begun making their way off, back toward the direction of the house.

"Useless, the lot of them." Rika grumbled in the direction of the soldier, before turning his attention to Larina.

"Larina, time is of the essence. After you left from us, did you encounter Earl or Pipi?" He questioned, but she shook her head dismissively. "N-No, I met the soldier then waited with him. . ." Her voice, in a hushed and worried tone, trailed off as she spoke.

"I see. . ." Rika thought. He could not assume they just headed back, and if Rika went back to the house, it would be too late to return and save them from any pirate kidnapping. He hated to, but he would have to rely on the fool. Turning to face the other Kokiri, Rika struggled to spit out, "Fool plant girl." He directed. "I have to find the other two. I need. . . you to take Larina back to the house. As you were there earlier, I am going to assume you are not so dumb as you forgot how to get there." He requested? asked? (ordered) her. Truthfully, trusting her was a gamble- he had no reason to believe she was acting as some sort of pirate mole, but if they were attacked while walking back, it would be difficult for her to fend off the pirates alone AND defend Larina from being kidnapped. It was likely defending the girl would prove difficult even for Rika, so it was not even a question of her competence- it was simply impossible.

Before Dee could give a reply, though, a voice called out from the pouring rain. "Larina? Larina!!" The male voice called, and two figures could be seen running towards the group. The girl instantly perked up, "Earl?! Rika, that's Earl!" Sure enough, the two young boys were approaching the trio quickly.

Oh. Well, at least Rika's worry about whether Dee could take Larina back alone had been answered, even if two people defending three was far more of an issue. Now it was simply embarrassing- he had asked Dee for help, essentially validating her as useful, and he did not need it anymore. This was honestly a worse result than if the boys had ended up kidnapped.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  4. Electronic Ink

“‘Disabled’,” mocked Dee as she turned her back on the dumbstruck guard. “Disabled, you say? That’s a polite way of saying dead,”

She spared no thought about how Larina may feel about being flanked by a pair of murderous babysitters, because she didn’t care about how Larina may feel about it. It wasn’t their fault the pirates had been stupid enough to choose such a dangerous route to attempt escape. The guard would likely be displeased with the corpse he encountered, particularly since this blasted rain would be destroying the most obvious clues - and Dee knew well that the most obvious clues were the only ones a prat like that guard would have been able to glean from the body. Exactly the way Dee liked it - knowing she was the smartest person on the case by far.

As Larina stammered, Dee considered. Had the pirates somehow circled back around from their pursuers to take… bah, so many names to remember. How inane. Earl and Pipi, the idiot had called them. Ridiculous names. Were the ridiculous children already lost to the pirates? Or were they still wandering, lost? It might be prudent to turn to find them, but the torrential downpour made a search effort difficult and endangering the one child they did have was not exactly the wisest course of action. A bird in the hand here was worth two lost in the rainy streets. Getting this one to safety was the goal here.

Though she bristled at being addressed as fool plant girl, Deanna’s ego swelled at Rika’s next words. He needed her help. How delightful, that he would recognise his own inability to be productive in this scenario! A part of her considered that he was rather audacious to assume that he would be of more use than she while searching, but she quickly realised that she hadn’t the foggiest what this Earl and Pipi actually looked like - granted, the likelihood of there being any other children on the street at this hour (and in this weather) was not exactly high, but she could indeed satisfy herself with returning triumphant to the headmistress, showing that she had safely returned the missing child. She might even be satisfied enough to admit that she’d had help doing so.

“I-” she began, but a reedy voice cut her off, and she turned sharply to its source. Ah. Presumably, then, these were the two missing children. “Earl! Pipi!” she called out to them, pulling Larina after them as she stepped forward. “You are unharmed, yes? Don’t worry, I chased away the kidnapping fools - with the help of your caretaker,” she added, still feeling amused enough to throw poor Jerk a bone. He had, after all, admitted his failure to round up all three children safely to her - Deanna felt secure in the knowledge that they may be able to reach a comfortable recognition of her superiority now, at least insofar as it was relevant to the case of these pirates. She took Earl’s hand as well, resisting the urge to simply attempt to throw the third child over her shoulder as she held onto the other two.

“Come, we should return to your lodging. It’s dreadful out here, and if I am cold, the three of you must be damn freezing! I’d be real mad if you grew ill after all that effort to keep you safe, hear?”

Dee looked to the idiot in red and flicked an eyebrow towards Pipi, assuming he would at least be intelligent to understand that he should keep hold of the third child. Should they be ambushed, a physical hold would help make sure no quick snatching could take place.

The house was a welcome sight, its warm windows a sharp contrast to the world of wet grey and blue that drenched so far through Deanna she felt it in her bones. Looking around quickly, she raised a hand to rap loudly on the door of the house, using the fact that she had a child either side of her to keep Rika behind her on the porch. The bells on her wrists chimed loudly with the knocking, a tuneful sound like windchimes, and she took Earl’s hand again and waited for the door to open.

“Hello,” she said when it swung open. “I believe these may be yours? I found them being accosted by pirates; I do hope you have a fire going, they are soaked and frightened.”
  5. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Rika visibly rolled his eyes at Dee’s display of falsified kindness. Awfully convenient how she now seemed to care greatly for the children’s wellbeing when doing so benefited her. It was only a sparse moment ago she was directly insulting them and their worth. Not that Rika disagreed with her, of course- but more that unlike her, he painted no illusion as to cover up his disdain for them. Regardless, like a feverous tumor, if not worse in many aspect, Dee was here to stay, and he would have more than enough time to prove his value over her when they weren’t being drenched in a torrential downpour and surrounded by brats. Though loath to touch them, Rika begrudgingly took hold of Pipi- not of his hand, but by gripping his arm, his hand clenching the boy’s forearm. Likely not the most comfortable for him, but Rika cared little- if he truly had issue to bring with it, he could see how he fared with the pirates and direct his criticisms towards them.

The duo made their way back with the trio of kids in short time, the glowing light emanating from the windows of the house through the pouring rain like a beacon of hope. The kids rushed to get under the shelter of the balcony and away from the rain, absolutely drenched from their extended exposure to the elements. Dee took the initiative with opening the door. Her falsities aside, Rika actually did not mind- he cared little for interaction with whatever child may come to the door or the madame, and it would present further opportunity for Dee to prove herself the buffoon.

The door swung open to reveal Madame Caroline. The Earl and Larina pushed forward, the madame embracing them in a deep hug and paying no mind to their soaked wardrobe. Releasing him- thank the goddesses for that, - Pipi also moved forward and joined. “Blessings to the great goddesses, you’re all safe. . .” the Madame cried out, her eyes welling up at their sight. After a couple moments of embracing them, she looked up to see Dee.

“You are. . . the girl from earlier. . .” She said, though Rika stepped into her view as she spoke. “And Rika. . .You found them, thank you so much. . .” She choked out to the two of them, stroking the back of her children’s heads. “Oh, yes, quickly, come in and dry yourselves!” She exclaimed, reality snapping back to her and acknowledging their soaked states.

“Gary, be a dear and fetch towels for the five of them, would you?” She called out to a nearby kid as she shut the door behind Rika, who presumably entered last. “I am relieved all are safe and well.” She smiled at the group, though Rika hastily interjected.

“We cannot rest at ease quite yet, Madame,” Rika continued his explanation as a small wisp formed in his hand, its heat warming the surrounding area around Rika, “the rumors of pirates have been proven true, and the guard is more than useless in apprehending them. Do not allow the children to venture out of the house any longer.” He made his way over to the roaring fire that had been set up sometime prior, the heat it emitted having made the room a comfortably warm temperature. “At least, not until I am able to rid Windfall of their presence.”

“Dimwit Dee,” He addressed the other Kokiri condescendingly, his attention turned to face her, “you said you have been investigating these disappearances for some time now, yes? Tell me all you know of these pirates and their activities.” Though he demanded her information, Rika was somewhat skeptical that she could provide him with anything he hadn’t already learned from their encounter.
  6. Electronic Ink

The warmth that poured forth from the house was more of a relief than Dee had anticipated it would be, and she felt a knot of tension unspool itself in her shoulders as she crossed the threshold of the house. She released the children to their caretaker, mildly uncomfortable with the tearful displays of affection that were now filling the hall. Such open emoting left her wrongfooted, and so she busied herself squeezing the moisture out of her skirt and onto the mat. A row of childrens’ shoes following the skirting boards made her take pause, wondering if the floors inside would be damaged by her boots, but the concept of being so unprepared to continue moving was repugnant. If they were well acquainted with their trade, the architects of the house would have made the floors sturdy enough anyway, and Deanna held no pity for the damaged works of those who were too simple to take proper precaution.

She followed the caretaker into the room and stretched languidly, glad that the heat of the fire seemed to be returning the fluidity to her joints that cold had stolen away. It was no time to rest, however, and she turned to Rika just as the latter began speaking. The nod of approval at his words was completely involuntary, and distaste crawled up her throat at her lack of composure. Letting the moment pass without comment, Dee thought on her findings, unbucking the quiver that had held her Baba and leaning it against the wall before it spilt any soil.

“From what I have gathered, the kidnappings here started just over a moon ago. Local townsfolk know very little about the disappearances themselves, and all the women of the island I’ve been able to question have indicated that none of the children reported kidnapped are actually residents of Windfall Island, bar one, which seems to me almost accidental given the anomalous nature of the act. Word around town indicates that most, if not all of the children, have visited the island due to the season - this time of year is meant to be a picturesque time for travelling off the coast of Hyrule, apparently.” She grimaced. “The rain is not convincing me.”

Sick of the dripping down her neck, Dee yanked her hair free and shook it out, finger-combing the sodden strands to rid herself of the excess water. “There’s been no one time of day that the kidnappings happen at, but oddly enough more disappearances are reported during the daytime than at night. There is no stronghold on the island that could possibly be hosting as many children as have gone missing at once, and the naval registry at the docks claims that only two large ships have departed Windfall during the concerned time. All other arrivals and departures have been by sailboats, many of which operated by the island’s residents as a ferry service. That means that no legitimate ship is responsible for removing the children from the island.”

Weary, she sat down where she stood, a damp patch already on the carpet but rapidly drying in the heat. “We found tonight, however, that our pirates are most likely pirates in the true sense of the word - as in, they have been landing on the island away from the docks and conducting much of their operation by sea. I must admit I am very suspicious of the circumstances that have led so many holidaymakers here, and investigating those who have been enticing families and childrens’ homes onto the island may be a viable lead, but that may take too much time. The fact that our pirates tonight were well-armed suggests that it would be idiotic to assume they haven’t begun their business with the children, unless they have other profit-making endeavours.”

Dee looked up at Madame Caroline, brows furrowed with focus. “Frankly, I am of the opinion that you need to cut this little soiree short and take these children back home. Nearly all of the kidnapping reports I’ve found suggest that each happened when the number of children was too high for the number of caretakers - precisely the scenario you find yourself in. Even with your hired muscle and my eyes out, there is no way to guarantee that these children are not next.”

She sniffed. Something felt off in here. While she had a faint urge to simply wait and follow the next kidnapping, there were too many children here to endanger. As frustrating as she found them, Dee wasn’t callous enough to suggest that they should be hung out to dry - particularly since their numbers meant any ambush plan would require her to divide her attention in several different directions to keep each of them watched. It was far easier to remove the complication of Madame Caroline and her children from the scenario entirely. Still, Dee had the unnerving sense that she was missing something important. She didn’t like the feeling, mostly because whenever she got it it usually resulted in the missing clue being the key. Biting her lip and looking up at the ceiling, she pondered. What hadn’t she worked out?
  7. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Rika nodded in agreement throughout Dee’s explanation. “You are correct. The fact that the pirates have acted unaccosted for such an extended length of time, that the children kidnapped are not ones that could have their daily patterns tracked, and that the kidnappings occur primarily during the daytime point to one central key fact; the pirates must not be working alone.” Rika explained, his arms reaching out to grab the towel Gary had passed to him. Removing his hat, he began drying the ears off its head.

“. . .What are you saying, then, Rika?” Madame Caroline asked, a grimness in her tone as if the true meaning was lingering just beyond her understanding.

Rika rolled his eyes. At the very least, it had seemed as though Dee had caught on to his intent. “What I mean, Madame,” he spoke, his tone heavy and his words somewhat demeaning, “is that the pirates have an inside man. Consider it like this- if pirates were roaming the streets of Windfall, more people would have taken notice- hell, the guards, incompetent buffoons though they are, would have taken notice. But according to Dee’s findings, the townsfolk speak of them almost like they are some kind of urban myth, the only proof of their existence being the sudden absence of children. This means they act quickly and efficiently. They know their targets and move in and out without drawing attention. The way for them to do this while still remaining almost entirely unnoticed is by having an otherwise unassuming mole lurking in the shadows, feeding them information about whatever they might need. Someone more foolish may be deceived into believing they were choosing to act using the rain as their umbrella, but we know that to have been a mere helpful coincidence.”

Taking a breather to rustle his soaked hair in the already drenched towel, Rika turned his attention back towards Dee. “As for taking the children back home, that is a foolish endeavor. Leaving with all of these children immediately would be difficult to coordinate, and more so, if these children are the pirate’s aim, putting them in open waters, on the pirate’s territory, is unwise. As I said, the pirates have someone watching the kids, so they would almost certainly be attacked by ship were they to leave now.” He shook his head. “No, there is but one, simple path; we must apprehend the pirates and bring them down. Tomorrow, once the downpour has quelled itself, we will apply our efforts to locating this mystery assailant. With this new direction and my eyes on the case, we will have little trouble uncovering them.”

--

Why was the angry girl from earlier back? Rika kept saying how mean she was, but she was holding the children’s arms. That meant she must have been kind, right? She was a Kokiri, too, so she could understand him, right? “Uhh. . .” He muttered, standing sheepishly to the side of the two Kokiri and The Madame.
  8. Electronic Ink

Uncharacteristically, Dee didn’t even stop to preen when Rika agreed with her, although she had to take a long breath to settle her annoyance when it seemed Madame Caroline cared more for Rika’s repetition of Dee’s own statements than when she had said them herself. While well accustomed to the frustrating necessity of repeating herself before she would be taken seriously - an unfortunate combination of her race giving her the appearance of a child and that many races had a latent habit of trusting one gender over another - she had yet to master the ability to not be fundamentally ticked off when another received credit for her own conclusions.

The tension of the situation stayed her temper somewhat, and she was able to breathe her irritation out through her nose. It wasn’t their fault these poor fools lacked the intelligence and insight they would need to truly respect Deanna’s countless hundreds of years solving the very same problems they stumbled through like children. Hmm, there was a thought. An ironic reversal; the race who showed their age displayed none the more wisdom for it, and the race whose age was forever concealed by appearance held the sagacity of generations. How the goddesses humoured themselves, Dee thought, pleased with herself for thinking up such poetry before remembering - with a deflation of her smugness - that she’d already had this same thought a couple decades ago. And possibly a few hundred ago, when she was wrangling that goat herder. Ugh. It was annoying to think she’d had an original thought when she herself had already thought it many times. Still, such fallacy did not undermine her claim. It was not a slight for them to have ignored her - instead, a sign of how elevated above them she was.

Her conviction solidified through her biased logic loop, she tried to consider who might be responsible for the betrayal of children to the pirates. Madame Caroline seemed to be a step behind, frustrating her. And Rika, it seemed. She blinked at Rika’s rebuttal of her idea, thinking. The Kokiri wrinkled her nose at the realisation that she had only been accounting for the children she’d seen earlier that day. And there had been far too many shoes at the front door to belong only to the group of children who were around the central plaza when she’d confronted Jerk. Deanna had to resist the physical urge to slap her own forehead as the rupee dropped. Of course the children she’d seen weren’t the lot of them. It was a group of holidaymakers! Who would have gone to explore the inane shops and sights, like any excitable person in any new place. How could she have missed that? Ugh. Now she had to try and save face after her stupid mistake.

“Not even in smaller groups, you would say? If numbers were kept low, we could perhaps use a smaller, faster craft, one that could outmanoeuvre pirate vessels. They’re unlikely to fire on the smaller ship as well, for fear of damaging their cargo,” she said, not actually thinking it a good idea. “Perhaps, if we act quickly, we may be able to help without the separation and removal of the children.” She narrowed her eyes at his last statement. She had known he was smug and thought himself better than her, but to completely disregard her contributions! The cheek! Any hypocrisy went unacknowledged, subsumed instead by her slightly petty reply. “Whatever attempts we make can only be improved with my contribution. More hands make lighter work, after all,”

Dee had discovered so many new clues tonight that she was quite irritated that her notebook remained with the rest of her belongings. “If we are able to locate them, the most effective lead would be to find this inside-man.” She tapped a finger to her chin, going over the possibilities. “Someone with a relation to the manner in which multiple groups of children have arrived on this island. That would imply someone who provides some manner of care to them.” She turned to Madame Caroline. “This house is much larger than one that would be used by any normal family. My first assumption is that you rented this house for your trip. How did you find out about it? I think the owner of this building may be Suspicious. Or perhaps any aid staff - I doubt you can feed this many children alone. Are you helped by a cook? A maid? Additional carers?”
  9. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

It seemed Rika had given Dee too much credit. Her idea previously must have been little more than a fluke, for her rebuttal at his rebuttal- something Rika is all too familiar with, debating with simpletons- was as flawed as could be. He shook his head in disapproval.

"Fine, let us humor your idea. We take a small subset of the children and flee, and the pirates, as you predict, do not fire upon them. The ship is even able to evade their larger, slower galleons, and their escape is successful. That just leaves the children left on the island, defenseless and, with the word of our churlish infiltrator of their situation and whereabouts, prime to be snatched. No, as it stands, the children are trapped so long as those pirates run amok and their informant lie undetected. Surely that is obvious?"

Before Dee could bite back at his condescending tone, he added, "...But yes, the correct course of action is for us to find this mole. And I have, unfortunately for myself, already accepted that you will not be leaving me alone in this investigation." He just sighed. Dee was along for the ride whether he wanted her to be or not- he didn't, if he had to say. If he argued enough, perhaps he could get her to go away, but it was not worth the energy at this point, not when the investigation at hand was such a time-sensitive one.

. . .

Madame Caroline looked to Dee once the two's bickering ceased, a hesitance as she replied, her voice tinged with worry. But still, she answered. ". . . For the house, yes, we are renting it. But there is a much bigger conspiracy at work if that's the problem. Our organization sets up the housing through the official governments of the places we visit, and rent houses owned by them, to ensure the location is safe. This house was rented in the same manner. For our aid staff. . ." She paused- not out of contemplation of the answer, but as if she did not want to accuse anyone.

But within this hesitance, Rika interrupted her, not letting the question go unanswered. "Yes, there are. Most of the direct operations are handled by the Madame, but there are others involved- people within the orphanage itself back in Castle Town that help to organize the trip that would know the details and receive up-to-date details as they moved; four aides that have accompanied us in this travel to Windfall; myself as the lone bodyguard; and two local volunteers to help with adjusting to the location and with anything needed here."

Rika turned to the hesitating Madame. "Do not hide any of their details from us to protect them. One of them may be complicit in the kidnapping of the children, Madame."

The Madame replied with a slow nod, an understanding on her face. ". . .Right, I'm sorry. I just don't want to accuse an innocent person. I will write their information for the two of you to look into."