Kokiri Brats Versus Kidnapping Prats [Eevachu + Electronic Ink]

Discussion in 'Great Sea' started by Eevachu, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Dungeon: Pirate Fortress - Majora's Mask

Thick, blackened clouds hung from the sky, clenching puddles of water like in cupped hands that could be split open at any moment, and acting as curtains to drape where the sun would normally be. A harsh coolness rode in from the shores overlooking the rumbling waves of the ocean. Periodically, a sound as if the clouds were being torn asunder would rip through the sky, followed by distant streaks of brightness shredding the sky apart. It was hard to tell when it would happen, or how severe it would be, but one thing was perfectly clear; a storm was coming.

Yet, Rika's gaze was not at the impending rainfall, but at something else- a boy, frolicking in front of the structure Rika was resting in front of, where the buildings parted ways to form a small, circular opening. Rika was, at least, pleased that the boy had stopped bothering him- how many times had he mistaken Rika for a child, asking him to play with him? This was of course met with frustration and annoyance from the Kokiri, who was quick to tell him he was as such, and, in his words, 'not a brat like you.' Still, the kid did not take offense or lighten up his assault, persistently bugging Rika over the course of the handful of weeks they had spent together. The kid seemed to admire Rika- understandably so,- but he did not wish to trifle in childish games. . . though he was getting rather bored.

Glancing to his side, a tall woman cloaked in a simple, yet elegant- perhaps even exquisite Cyan dress was watching the boy intently. The boy's mother? His guardian? Admittedly, Rika was not sure of the details; he knew her only as Madame Caroline. She approached him out of the blue one day, requesting his services guarding them on a passage from Castle Town to Mido, and beyond the sea to Windfall. At first, Rika was pretty apprehensive about taking the job, but Madame Caroline was quick to boast about how she had heard of his achievements and capabilities, and that no other would be so suitable, and that it would be an honor for him to accompany them. His head getting the better of him in the moment, Rika fell into her sweet talk and accepted the offer.

There had been numerous children with them, not just the boy- what was his name, Eren? Erlion? There were so many children, Rika had not bothered to learn all of their names. Some had departed with them and another woman at Mido, while the rest accompanied them to Windfall Island, the destination they had arrived at earlier that morning. Excited with the completion of what was for most, if not all of them, their first seafaring adventure, many of the kids wished to explore the town, the shops, the culture, to experience the differences Windfall Island brought from that of Castle Town. They were allowed to disperse, though Madame Caroline insisted that they stick in groups at all times and returned before the storm settled in. Erloi opted to stay behind in favor of playing- by himself, as it were, the strange kid.

Admittedly, Rika had begun to regret taking this job. It was an ordinary, boring job- no sort of interesting event had happened, he had been dealing with little more than annoying children for a few weeks time. As he had time to think, he was unsure why they requested him as well- traveling had its fare share of dangers, certainly, but the trek was not too perilous, and there were caravans they could join for those purposes. Additionally, he was the only guard here- not that they needed another, with him around,- but that felt strange as well, simply considering the amount of children they had. The job did not even pay well, though the lack of excitement was a more crucial detail for Rika.

Sitting around was boring for Rika. They had arrived at Windfall Island, so he would have assumed the job to be done, but Madame Caroline insisted, in her own words, that 'there was still more to come, if you only be patient.' That was not exactly something Rika held in great capacity, but the vagueness of her words captivated his interest enough to linger for at least a few moments more. Perhaps he would play with the kid after all. "Oi, Earli!" Rika called out to the kid, though Madame Caroline quickly retorted in a calm tone, "It's Erelio, dear."

"Ah, right right. Do you want to see something cool?" He grinned, jumping up to his feet and stepping forward. "Do I?!" Erelio's face beamed, "Show me, show me, I wanna see!" The kid was already bursting at the seams. Rika knew if he waved a little magic around, he'd quite possibly literally explode from amazement. It was old hat for Rika, though.

--

Kids were strange. They were kind and unlike most things Rika introduced Wollo to, didn't terrify him. Yet, they had a tendency to hit Wollo or pull at his moustache, which hurt a lot! But, Wollo could tell they weren't being mean when they did so- they were playing, like friends did! Wollo never really did that sort of playing with others, but he knew friends came in all kinds, so he couldn't judge how some people expressed their friendship. He was just happy something wasn't trying to eat him this time.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  2. Electronic Ink

Electronic Ink local zora vet

This was unacceptable. This was not okay. None of this was alright in any sense of the word.
    Deanna had a job to do and there were irritating children everywhere.
    The thought may or may not have occurred to her to use a few of these more-stupid-than-usual Hylians as bait for her quarry, but she eventually decided that she'd likely be denied her rupees if she was deliberately responsible for further damage.

She huffed irritably as one ran headlong into her, knocking her down, her armour clanking. Except then the kid saw Gomgossa and fled in terror. The way it should be. She moved into the next stall.
    "Hey," she said to the owner, who rudely ignored her, the jerk. She climbed up onto the counter, to his shock. "I said hey! Have you heard anything suspicious lately? At all?"
    "G-get off my counter!" the man yelped, swatting at her greaves.
    "Not until you answer my question," Deanna said stubbornly. "I asked if you've heard anything. A whole bunch of kids have gone missing all over Windfall and I've been told that there's been Suspicious Activity in this town. Tell me!"
    "Nayru, Nayru, okay! Yeesh," the shop owner said, raising his hands. "All I know is that there have been a lot more kids around than usual and then they stop being around,"
    "Thanks!" Deanna said, hopping off the counter and yanking Gomgossa by the stem to stop it biting the man's face.

She exited the shop only to walk straight into a hoarde of more children.
    "More than usual, huh?" she muttered, looking at them. "Hey, you! Yeah you, with the potato-shaped head! Who brought you here?"
    "Madame Caroline," the kid said after a moment.
    "Where is she?"
    "Did you used to live with her too?" another kid asked.
    "No. Shut up. I'm not four like you. Where is she?"

One child gave her a curled-lip scowl while the other folded his arms.
    "You're a meanie," he said. "She's that way. I hope she gets real mad at you,"
    "Stop being so annoying," Deanna said instead, stalking down the street in the direction she had been pointed in. Madame Caroline wasn't hard to spot- she was the only woman not in Windfall fashion on the street with more than two children around her.
    "Hey! You!" Dee shouted, stalking right up into Madame Caroline's...well, thighs, since Dee wasn't tall enough to get in her face. She stood on tiptoes and stared upwards instead. "Why have you got all these kids here? What are your plans? Tell me!"
  3. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

The kid stared expectantly at Rika, his eyes wide with wonder and anticipation. Rika figured he should start the kid off with something easy, then work into something more impressively. With a snap of his finger, small wisps started to come out of the point his tips had touched, spinning outward and into each other to form a larger, swirling wisp. It was still light out, so it did little to illuminate their surroundings, but the flame flickered nonetheless. Rika grinned triumphantly, and looked over to the kid.

"What was that?" He said blankly. "What?" Rika responded equally as blankly. "That wasn't cool, I've seen simple magic like that before."

Rika's eyes narrowed. "Alright you little brat," he grumbled, before turning away from the kid. "You wanna see something cooler, just watch." Extending his fingers forward, Rika muttered one word. "Spire." A massive, glowing golden emblem formed on the ground a few feet in front of Rika, and after a few moments, a massive dirt stalactite erupted from the earth, a main pillar shooting several feet into the air and many smaller pillars jutting out across the sides. Grinning confidently, Rika turned back to the kid and said, "how about that spell, brat? I bet you're impressed now."

The kid glanced at the spire, then back at Rika. "Why did it take so long to come out?"

"You little shit stain you wanna see real magic then-" Rika roared as he stomped over to the kid, but was promptly interrupted by the bossy sound of shouting. Glancing up, a Kokiri girl had rushed up to her boss and began shouting in her face.

The woman seemed unfazed by Dee's aggressive behavior. "Whatever do you mean, young lady? I run an orphanage, so there will always be children." She soothed, though whether Dee's riles would be calmed was yet to be proven.

Rika had admittedly been bored, but he was not bored enough to deal with another Kokiri. Still, though, guarding them was what he was being paid for, so he supposed he had little choice in the matter. Still riled up from the insults he had suffered at the hands of the kid, Rika began stomping over towards Dee. "Hey you brat, what do you think you're doing?! Get out of my employer's face!"
  4. Electronic Ink

"Don't young lady me!" Dee snapped, standing on her toes to be slightly taller. "These kids don't live here! You brought them here by boat, didn't you? You all smell like seawater. There aren't meant to be this many kids here, and especially now. It's very suspicious!"

When she heard a voice, Dee turned, hand flying to her kukri.
    "Don't call me a brat!" she snapped. Great. Another Kokiri. Exactly what she needed right now. "You can hardly talk! Who wears clothes that stupid and red?" She sniffed. "I guess that's why you're working for this Suspicious Lady, huh? You've got to afford better clothes somehow,"

Gomgossa had gone to snap at Caroline and Dee grabbed the plant's stem before it could. She didn't want her suspect mauled before she could question her. "The two of you turning up with all these kids, right now? That's more than just convenient timing. Tell me what you know!"
    She glared at Rika. "And you, fool- keep out of my investigation, okay? I don't need another one of you stupid fairy-wusses getting in my way,"
    She paused. Hey. Wait a minute. There was no fairy fluttering around Rika's head like a stupid satellite.
    Minus one Suck Point.
  5. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

This bitch was done. Rika's vision narrowed and his eyes shot dead at Dee. He didn't care what Madame Caroline was going to say, and did not give her a chance to try.

"At least I can change. How long you been wearing that breastplate, pretzel head? I could smell you coming a mile away." The most arrogant smirk danced across Rika's face. "The only thing suspect here is your intelligence. She said it's an orphanage, so of course there are children here. You DO know what an orphanage is, right?" He grinned devilishly and let out a condescending chuckle. "Boy, you sure are stupid, even for a Kokiri." He noted that she as well lacked a fairy- while normally he would commend her for breaking away from such trite cultural rituals Kokiri were known for, it was clear in her case she was suffering all the more for it.

"Now I'm not being paid to babysit annoying little brats, so get outta here, Ugly Girl," he spat at her, waving his hand at her in a shooing motion.
  6. Electronic Ink

Oh, well screw him, then! What a jerk! "I'm sorry," she snapped, "did I ask for your opinion at any stage? I know it's a damn orphanage, but it's not an orphanage from here! You got here on the boat! Geez, and you've got the hide to call me dumb? Pot calling the kettle black on that one! I've met Moblins smarter than you, you stupid red moron. Also," she bristled, "you literally are being paid to babysit annoying little brats. That's not even an insult, it's true. How you can babysit yourself is anyone's guess, but I suppose an idiot has to get rupees somehow," Dee pulled out her seed shooter and fluidly shot a seed right at the part of his knees that wouldn't take kindly to a fast-moving blunt projectile smacking into them.

She turned back to Caroline.
    "Answer for yourself! Don't let this stupidhead try and bail you out of being a Suspicious Suspect. Why have you brought your orphanage here today of all days? I doubt this is a coincidence, Suspicious Suspect. You better talk fast or I'm gonna assume you're the perp I'm looking for and I'm gonna have to hit you a few times!"
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  7. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

"To GUARD them, idiot. You can't even tell-" Rika was briskly cut off by being capped in the leg. Caught off guard by the sudden blow, he had little time to dodge and so the seed pegged him right in the knee, bringing him down to the ground.

"My dear, I'm not sure what you're referring to. We're just an orphanage traveling to-" Caroline was swiftly cut off by Rika, who had recovered from the blow.

"You bitch!" He roared, his body lurching upward and his fist shooting towards Dee's smug face. She would dare attack him? He would have to show her what a mistake she had just made.
  8. Electronic Ink

Dee hadn't been keeping a very tight grip on Gomgossa and she wasn't surprised when the Baba lunged for Rika. What she was surprised at is when the Baba was suddenly reduced to ash with a fire spell.
    "G-Gomgossa!" she yelped. "You-you killed Gomgossa the First! That's so rude! What kind of jerk kills someone's plants?"
    She raised her Seed Shooter higher as she made the mostly unconscious decision to leg it, loosing another seed at Rika's head this time, before turning and stalking away.
    "I'll be back!" she threatened. "I will! And you better answer my questions then!"
    Ugh. Uncooperative witnesses were the worst.
  9. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Rika wasn't surprised that the Deku Baba had lunged at him; it was difficult for a violent, chomping ball with less than a one-track mind to do anything but attack whatever was in its vicinity. What Rika was more surprised about was that it had not attacked Dee. Had she tamed the vicious-yet-inept Deku Baba? Kokiri weren't known for their affinity with plants, so he was almost aligned to give her props, if it weren't such a pathetically weak monster. Regardless of how well she had mastered the art of beastplant taming, though, it would not change the effect his fire would have. Just as the Deku Baba began to converge on his hand, its entire body literally erupted in flames, chunks of plant matter and splashes of sap exploding outward.

"Gomgossa the First? More like Gomgossa the Blown Up!" Rika grinned, mocking her stupid name with an equally stupid insult. She had chosen to run away, too- excellent, Rika had won. This was not satisfying enough for him, though. Yet, as he moved after her, he felt his body fall to the ground, his knee giving out on any support it could offer due to the blow it had suffered. He swatted away the other seed aimed at his head; it stung against the back of his arm, but was a negligible pain compared to the thought of losing against her.
    Either way, he had won in the end, even if it was not a complete victory for him. "Let me know if that brat returns. I still owe her a couple whacks across the skull." He called out to Madame Caroline, who was silent at the display. "I believe she is only trying to help- with something, though I am unsure what." Madame Caroline paused for a moment, contemplative, before continuing, "Regardless, I do not believe she has bad intentions."

Rika scoffed. "You're telling the wrong person, lady. It matters little to me where her motives lie, my words are unchanged." With those words, Rika half-walk half-crawled his way back inside before he had to sit through a lecture from the nanny.

--

Oh boy, it was another Kokiri. They were always so nice to Wollo, and they could understand him too. Everyone was Wollo's friend, but he always felt sad whenever he met someone he could only talk to with his heart- that was important, but so were words. It seemed like Rika was already getting along with her, as he did with all Kokiri they came across, but then their friend suddenly left. Did Rika scare off another person? But Wollo hadn't even met them yet! Oh well. They would meet again someday, Wollo knew for sure.
  10. Electronic Ink

This was unacceptable. Completely and utterly unacceptable.

Firstly, Gomgossa was toast. Literal toast. She probably could have eaten it with butter. Maybe the pieces were too small to do that, though. So maybe she could have used it as toast-flavoured spice on her lunch. Was toast-flavoured spice a thing? If not, Dee had just invented it.
    Secondly, wowie. Dee hated Kokiri in general but this guy was an all new variety of jerk. It took a special kind of idiot to wear those stupid clothes, and a special kind of idiot to be so Suspicious when someone was clearly investigating here, thank you very much.

Dee looked at her open notebook, where she’d scrawled her as-yet lackluster ideas, and put on her glasses. This inn was badly lit, and the cloudy sky wasn’t helping, but the light from the window was enough for her to pick up the charcoal stick sitting beside the paper and scrawl a quick sketch of the Jerk Kokiri.
    Suspect? she wrote underneath, then chewed on a fingernail thoughtfully as she wrote down what she knew so far.
    Kokiri boy. App. employed to babysit. Orphanage foreign? Jerk doesn’t look strong enough to drag off multiple kids at once. Possible sleeping potion? Kokiri not known for affinity with potions. Large scythe- combat skill. Fire spell- magic talent. Boots fancy- probably expensive, has money. Large pet nearby. Octorok. Affinity with beasts- very suspicious.
    She looked over what she’d written with an unimpressed noise. Nowhere near enough information to form a solid theory on. And the stupid interrupting Kokiri had stopped her from gathering any info on the woman too. It was very, very annoying.

And she didn’t even have a trained Baba on hand. She’d left her large plants back in her office in Castle Town, so now she was completely Gomgossaless. She had some seeds on her, though, so she picked up the dirt-filled quiver from where she’d dropped it and stuffed one in it, tipping a bit of water onto it before rhythmically shaking her wrists. The bells on her bracelets chimed in tune to the Sapling’s Song and the little Baba began to sprout upwards, years’ worth of growth billowing outwards. Eventually the plant stood not-quite-as-high as Gomgossa I had. This one kind of slouched more. Maybe it was a lazy Baba. It was a magenta colour too, which was a nice departure from Gomgossa I’s blue.
    “You are… Gomgossa the Fire-Eater,” she dubbed the Baba, which lazily reached out and tried to nibble on her sleeve before recoiling at the taste. “I bet you’re tired from all that growing, huh? Take a nap or something. I’ll be back before the hour’s up, so you don’t have to worry about shrinking back down again. Don’t break any of my stuff,” She stood the quiver upright in the middle of the room, away from any furniture that could be eaten.

Killing her Baba had been a jerk move. If she was as much of a jerk as that Kokiri was, she’d have killed his Octorok in retaliation. But she wasn’t a jerk, so she hadn’t. Duh. She leaned back in her seat, pausing, then sniffed her armour. It didn’t actually smell, did it? No. Maybe it smelled a little green- was that rosemary? Did she have rosemary stuck in the hinges of her armour again? She unbuckled the armour piece by piece and set it down on the floor beside her bed. She didn’t really need her armour when she was just sitting around theorising anyway. When she was done, maybe she’d go downstairs and ask the inn owner about the orphanage and the strange Kokiri guarding it.

‘When she was done’ became now, as she snapped the book shut and stood up. There was no point to sitting around doing nothing- she was being paid to find kids and find kids she would. The more time she spent dilly-dallying, the more time she was giving her suspects to get away and hide. It was entirely possible that Jerk Kokiri would be telling all his jerk friends about her, which meant she could lose her element of surprise before she even met the criminal. If she was honest, she was kind of worried about that. She’d never really been on the receiving end of one of her suspects’ ploys, and that stupid jerk had provoked her into making a scene without even gaining any answers. This case could go bad very fast, and it was important that she get moving before she lost all of her chances to that one idiot in the rabbit hat.

She locked her door behind her as she exited, then put her own little trap on the doorknob- a dry leaf stuck to the bottom of the knob. That way, if anyone tried to open her door, the leaf would break and crumble. An easy trap for a foolish fool who wanted to get into her stuff. She barely looked in front of her as she went down the stairs, her notebook tucked under her arm and her glasses still perched on her nose. The bells around her wrists were jangling but she ignored them as she reached the bottom of the stairs and knocked on the door to the innkeeper’s office.

“Hello?” the man called, and Dee pushed open the door. “Oh, miss...Deanna, was it?”
    “Do you know anything about a Kokiri in red and an orphanage he’s guarding?” Deanna asked immediately. The innkeeper frowned.
    “The island orphanage?”
    “I don’t think they’re from the island,” Dee said. The innkeeper’s face brightened.
    “Oh, you mean Caroline,” he said, sounding relieved. “Yeah, I know her. Why?”
    “Is it normal for her to bring so many kids to the island?”
    “She...runs an orphanage, and she brings the kids on trips here,” the man shrugged.
    “What about the Kokiri in red? He’s guarding them, apparently,”
    The innkeeper’s brow furrowed. “Maybe Caroline’s nervous about the missing kids. It makes sense for her to have hired someone to defend her kids...I guess a Kokiri is a smart choice. A kidnapper would probably mistake them for just another of the orphans,”
    “Believe me,” muttered Dee, “you can’t mistake this idiot for any of the kids. You’ll know him when you see him, trust me,”
    She jotted down what he’d told her in her notebook.
    “Thank you,” she said as it started to rain outside.

“Why do you need to know, though?” he asked.
    “I’m a private investigator,” she said proudly. “I’ve been hired to find out what’s happening with the missing kids. Those kids turning up right now was very Suspicious,”
    “Fair enough, I guess,” the man said. “I trust Caroline, if that means anything.”
    “Not really,” Dee said bluntly, turning around. “Who else I could talk to about her?”
    “I think she rented out a building for her kids this time around,” he shrugged. “You could try talking to the owner?”
    “Whatever,” Dee left the office, heading upstairs to her room again. The leaf was fine, and she delicately opened the door with only the top of the doorknob. Gomgossa the Fire-Eater had recovered somewhat, and had knocked over the quiver it was rooted in. It was currently rolling around on the floor looking for something to eat.
    “Nothing to eat yet,” she told it. It lashed out at her when she got close, only to recoil from the foul taste of her clothing a second time. “You can’t eat me, either,”

She picked up the quiver and latched it onto her belt, and Gomgossa immediately hit its head on the ceiling.
    “Idiot,” she muttered, folding her glasses and tucking them away in her pouch. She didn’t really want to get wet in the heavy rain outside, but she didn’t really have a choice if she wanted to keep investigating. She locked her door again and left the inn, heading back towards Madame Caroline’s building. She had a few questions for Madame Caroline and her jerk bodyguard.
  11. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

The sky had grown dim and as if it was sad at the conflict between Rika and Dee, began shedding tears all across Windfall Island. To Rika's pleasure, the bratty Kokiri had not returned; now if it weren't for the swarm of kids, he could get some peace and quiet. Yet, they weren't the only ones making noise; Madame Caroline was pacing back and forth in the main living room, a somewhat worried expression on her face. Honestly, Rika cared little about what made her anxious- she probably overbaked her muffins or something,- but it was bothering him that she moved back and forth so restlessly.

"What is your problem now? The brat is gone, so it is time to relax." Rika called out to her.

"It's the children," She calmly responded, shielding off his rude wording, "some of them haven't returned, and the storm has already come."

Rika sighed. Was that it? "It is just a little rain, I am sure the children will be fine."

"I'm sure, but, I'm worried. . . It's not something I can explain, but it's a bad feeling. . ." She sort of grimaced a bit.

Rika sighed. "Fine, fine. I will go look for them." He kind of waved at her. It WAS his job, he supposed, but truthfully he just didn't want to sit around and deal with her and the children any longer.

"Truthfully? Then, only Larina, Earl, and Pipi have yet to return. They were traveling together." They were together? This was just a case of a few kids playing hooky, then. They probably lost track of time or got caught up with something amusing, or whatever kids did- either way, this was certainly going to be a waste of Rika's time. Still though, he had already agreed to it, and it would be an even further waste of Rika's time to sit around and do nothing in this cottage. With his mind made up, he headed for the door.

Then, he remembered it was raining. Rika let out a light groan- he was going to have to go out in this? It was unfortunate, and he really, really did not want to, but there was no going back now. Sighing, he stepped out into the dark, pouring flood. With a snap of his fingers, flames of violet hue spun into a ball and illuminated his path. Even the rain was not capable of putting out its burn, making it an excellent tool as the darkness began to draw near.

Now, Rika had to decide where to go; just where would these children be? If his guess was right, and the children were goofing off and having fun, then the bazaar would be a safe pick. If he didn't see them, he could seek to inquire more from shopkeepers and even drunks that had been wasting away at the bar the entire day. Frowning as his body was immediately drenched, Rika began making his way towards the bazaar post-haste.
  12. Electronic Ink

Gomgossa the Fire-Eater was poorly named. It was standing straight up out of the quiver with its jaws open to the skies, catching rain in its fanged mouth and swallowing it gleefully.
    “You’re genuinely a fool,” Dee muttered, tucking her hands under her arms to hide them from the freezing rain. It was a little bit like the sky had decided to throw really small ice cubes for the shits and giggles, and was having a particularly fun time trying to get them down Dee’s collar. Her pretzel braids were already weighed down with the rain, drooping miserably, and her fringe was plastered to her face, making it necessary for her to repeatedly shove it out of her eyes.

She was so busy trying to see through the pelting rain that she didn’t notice the person nearby until Gomgossa lunged out sharply to the side, almost uprooting itself with its vigor. She instinctively grabbed it where she would have the last Gomgossa and was greeted with thorns to the hand. This Gomgossa’s thorns were in a different place than the last Gomgossa’s and she jerked away from the cutting thorns, shoving her cut fingers in her mouth with a hiss.
    “Who’s there?” she said, squinting through the rain, and then she saw what was behind the figure and stopped.

That was Suspicious. Very, very Suspicious. And she wasn’t even exaggerating this time.
    “Get back!” She grabbed the boy by the arm and yanked him back around the corner, recognising the Jerk a split-second later.
    Were you going to meet with those Suspicious People?” she whispered accusingly. “Are you involved?”
    Gomgossa was straining to get at the Jerk and Dee wrapped its stem around her arms to keep it from biting. “Something suspicious is going on here, isn’t it,”
  13. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

He had made it to the bazaar successfully, now where to- excuse me? Rika felt himself being harshly pulled aside, and his first reaction was to punch whoever was pulling him. He saw it was the bratty Kokiri he had quarreled with earlier. His urge to punch had gone up even further now. Little did he know, the new Gomgossa was a certified flame chomper, so his torch would be ineffective. Probably.

"What are you-" Rika's tongue spit out, but he was interrupted by Dee and her bringing attention to the mysterious figures tucked away in an alley behind them. It was difficult to tell what was going on with the rain, but from the large, tanned builds, the scimitars they held at their sides- though one held it gripped in their hand,- and the suspicious atmosphere they carried, there was only one answer. "Pirates. Of course I'm not with them." Rika spat out disgustedly. Honestly, there was little reason he should be disgusted, as he was as much of a treasure hunter as they were. Unlike pirates, though, he only took treasure from ruins, dungeons, and people he felt had it coming, not the innocent. He was no thief, and furthermore, he did not steal their lives either- Rika only killed those capable of fighting.

"Pirates, in town, in the rain? Of course it's suspicious." Rika confirmed, and his eyes focused to see that they were not alone. The two pirates stood menacingly over a smaller figure; one gripped her wrists with his meaty arms as she helplessly struggled in them, while the other waved a scimitar around threateningly. It appeared to be a young girl, and Rika instantly recognized her as Larina. "Oh, damn it." He cursed, and immediately plunged into action.

Charging forward, Rika was quick to take his surprise opportunity to strike. Leaping into the air, Rika's foot chilled and slammed directly into the skull of the pirate grappling Larina. His grip loosened as he was sent flying back, stunned and frozen like an icy popsicle. He would likely get hypothermia and die if left alone. Larina, instantly recognizing the distinct Kokiri, scrambled to flee behind him and put him between herself and the scimitar-wielding man.

The pirate was shocked at first, but immediately regained his composure. "You little shit, I'll show you what happens when you get in our way!" He roared, and went to cleave at Rika with his blade.
  14. Electronic Ink

[​IMG]

The pirate would be sorely disappointed, Dee decided with glee, recognising an opportunity to have some fun when she saw it. She was delayed a moment by surprise, but the moment she registered the other Kokiri’s departure she was off, charging after them. She met the pirate halfway, sliding in under the strike with her sickle in hand, bringing the hooked weapon up to catch the scimitar before it could strike Rika. With a swift jerk of her wrist and the motion of her skid against the rain-slick ground, she twisted her sickle and let the point slice into the pirate’s hand, divesting him of his weapon. The alleyway was a little cramped for three people shoulder-to-shoulder though, and she was quick to back off and give herself space even as the pirate yelped in pain.

“You were saying?” she taunted, drawing her second sickle and holding them loosely in front of her, ready to slash at a moment’s notice. The rain was an unwelcome factor for the fight, but Deanna was no fresh sprout and a little bit of water wasn’t going to stop her from kicking this pirate’s butt. “I have a few questions to ask you!”

The pirate looked torn between the two weapon-wielding kids. Rika had a stupid Hylian to look after and Dee felt no shame in swooping forward with weapons raised, even as the pirate fumbled to grab his back-up weapon from his belt. Dee’s sickle missed his face by a whisker as he ducked backwards, but her second attack found its mark, the curved blade biting into the pirate’s tanned forearm. Dee was loath to cause her suspect any great harm before he spilled his secrets, but he was so much bigger than her that it would be impossible to subdue him while he was conscious. Necessities were necessities after all.

The next swipe of her blade was to his knee, and he retaliated with a swift punch with his free hand. Dee’s head jerked to the side, but she got the last laugh as Gomgossa the Fire-Eater turned out to also be Gomgossa the Pirate-Eater, sinking its needle-like teeth into the pirate’s arm. The pirate yanked its arm backwards and several of Gomgossa’s teeth snapped with the motion, the plant making a gurgling noise in pain. If Dee had any sense of karma she’d have appreciated the pirate’s harsh kick to her knee that set her about dropping to the floor, but instead she opted to slash him across his chest as she dropped, yelping. The pirate probably wasn’t expecting Dee to abruptly switch tactics. Rather than push herself back up, Dee hit the ground and stayed there, swinging her sickle around his leg and jerking it sharply back towards herself, cutting the flesh right down to the bone. The pirate cried out in pain as his foot abruptly handed in its resignation, and he hit the ground hard. Dee stood up, planting her rainboot hard on the cut across the pirate’s chest.

“Where are the other children!” she shouted, dripping hair plastered to her face. She probably cut quite a feral image, with her mud and blood-splattered clothes, dishevelled hair, and the ravenous plant clearly trying to decide if trying to consume the pirate’s leg was worth the pain in its broken teeth.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  15. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

It was a pleasant surprise to see that Dee was not in the way. In fact, she seemed more than capable of handling herself in a fight, lacerating the pirate across his body with relative ease. She seemed to have the situation under control, so Rika drew his weapon and turned his focus to Larina. "You're unharmed? Where are the others?" He questioned somewhat bluntly. The girl, though somewhat shaken up, managed to choke out an answer. "I-I'm not sure. We were separated just before it rained, and I was looking for them when t-they found me." She pointed at the pirate Dee was slicing across the leg. "I need to find them. You're in the way right now. Go out into the bazaar, and search for a soldier, or a marketplace that's busy. Inform them of the pirates, and you'll be safe." He spoke somewhat harshly, though his words were meant out of regards for her safety. "B-But. . . " the girl hesitated, but he instantly shut that down. "Go, now. Here, you are a liability and in danger. I will find the others, do not worry. Now run." He somewhat encouraged her with his words. With another glance at the Kokiri, Larina dashed off, her steps muffled by the rain as she slipped around the corner with efficiency.

Truthfully, he would have rather not let her go off alone, as there was no guarantee she would remain safe; however, these pirates were a bigger threat, and so long as she remained on the scene she left herself open to being targeted or used as a hostage, which would be the worst scenario for everyone. They could use Dee as a hostage, he supposed, but that would not really halt his advances. With the girl gone, Rika turned his attention to the pirate, his scythe drawn and edge held towards the man. "Tell me, now." He commanded, though immediately following his words, his ears caught wind of an interruption.

A cross bolt clashed against the wall to his side; luckily, the rain and wind had hampered their aim, preventing the blow from actually connecting. His gaze shot up to see three pirates standing on the rooftops- one had their crossbow leveled at Rika, though having just expelled its bolt, while the other two wielded one-handed scimitars similar to the pirate they had just encountered. In this momentary distraction, the injured pirate mustered all of his strength and bolted off down the alleyway, opposite the way they had entered. Rika and Dee had little time to pursue him, however. With one wave of his hand, a glowing emblem formed on the side of the tall wall to their side. With his other hand, he- begrudgingly- tapped Dee, commanding her with word and magic alike. With word, he spoke, "Pursue the pirates on the rooftops, we can capture one after they have been subdued." With magic, Dee would have felt her body lighten and her feet glow with an enchanting, light blue aura, granting her the ability to Double Jump to great heights. As his words ended, a stone spire tore out of the wall, and in two swift leaps, Rika bounced off the spire and onto the roof to meet their new adversaries.
  16. Electronic Ink

Dee did not swear when her quarry managed to snatch his freedom. She did not. Instead she let out a cry of rage even as she ducked for cover from the crossbow bolts, the sharp ping of their heads meeting stone brick ringing out even through the rain. Beside her, the other Kokiri touched her, and she’d have divested him of his bloody fingers if she hadn’t recognised the sudden lightness to her body. She’d experimented with magic like this before, when she had been splicing Pegasus plants with others- one combination had spawned a seed that had made her almost break her neck on the ceiling, before ultimately withering and dying. This felt much like the effects of the seed, and with nary a hesitation Dee was off, jumping onto the spire and then jumping from that, kicking the thin air in a second jump to propel her to the roof.

“Get back here, you backwards scum!” she shrieked, one hand drawing her scythe while the other wrapped around Gomgossa’s neck to pull it closer, ready to whip the Baba at any foe that dared enter its reach. She reached the edge of the rooftop and kicked off, a second jump easily carrying her to the next of the houses. She was thankful for the shallow slant of the roofs in this district- any steeper and the rain would send her plummeting to the ground below. She really did slip on the third roof, feet flying sideways, but a swift jump sideways sent her back to the apex of the roof, and she grabbed the anchor beam and hoisted herself back upright, cursing about the precious lost seconds.

They were getting away! She jammed her scythe in Gomgossa’s mouth, trusting- perhaps foolishly- that the Baba would bite down and hold it for her as she drew her seed shooter, one hand flying to her belt to grab a handful of seeds. Whether they were her regular tea mangrove seeds, her Deku nuts or her bomb seeds, she could not have said, and she recklessly jammed the first seed into the back of the shooter and levelled it at the pirate in front of her. She missed quite spectacularly, between the wind, rain, and continued running, and the seed careened to the left and detonated with a blast of flame. Bomb seeds, then.

She leaped to the next roof, running along the flat balcony lined with over-watered flowers, aiming the next bomb seed. The roof in front of one pirate exploded and with a shout he pitched backwards, falling from the roof to the ground; she didn’t stop, going after the rest. One seed fired was entirely neutered by the rain when it landed in a gutter; a loud crack was followed by a large plume of steam from the seed as it failed to properly ignite. She didn’t get a chance to fire any more because she slipped a second time, hitting the roof hard. Her seed shooter as well as her handful of seeds clattered out of her grasp; she could feel the freaking seeds in her shirt and boots, they had gone everywhere. She spat rainwater as she pushed herself upwards, looking for where the shooter had fallen; too far away, it was on the ground. Stopping to get it would mean losing the pirates, who were already so far away. Hawking in breaths, Dee clambered back onto her feet and leaped again, grabbing her scythe from Gomgossa’s mouth- several more teeth audibly broke- and pursing the thieves. She couldn’t let them escape!
  17. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Rika broke into a glide across the drenched rooftops, his body hovering inches above the slick, treacherous makeshift river below his feet- thanks given to the magical, winged soles he wore. Uncoupled from Dee, the girl was no longer his concern; while it would be difficult enough to keep up with her in a chase as is, doubly so with the torrent of rain and shrill screams of wind that broke vision and sight alike. His concern was to find the source of the pirates, and for that, he'd have to capture one.

Thus, unhindered by the slippery slope below- though the pouring rain and wind still hampered his vision and offered some resistance,- Rika rushed forward at the scrambling pirates. Bolts from crossbows soundlessly crashed at his side like perilous lightning, which Rika had little to no way of seeing or hearing- he would have to trust in the weather to act as his shield. It was his greatest ally in defense at the moment, but he was unhampered offensively as well.

Nearing a pirate, Rika thrust his fist forward- crashing through droplets and freezing them, magical ice burst directly against the pirate's chest, freezing the water drenching him and sending him sliding off the roof, immobile, and crashing to the ground. In the same motion, a powerful burst of wind burst into another pirate, sending them spiraling off the roof. It was an ability he did not employ often, but weather would to little to impede his spells, much to the pirate's surprise. In the same movement, he continued barreling forward like a train to a third pirate, who hastily scrambled to swing its scimitar at the Kokiri. Unluckily, Rika was not quite so impervious as his spells, and his momentum coupled with the wind made it difficult to swing safely.

Instead, he leaped over the pirate, bouncing over their head and landing on the other side. However, his momentum continued, and Rika slid directly off the roof. And continued sliding. The unfortunate side-effect of magical floating boots- once you started moving, it was, unfortunately, more than difficult to come to a stop, especially while midair. Once he began falling, Rika leaped once again to break his fall, but the rushing winds and rain would not be so kind, thrusting Rika down and crashing into the window of a house. If adventurers were prone to smashing a person's pottery, a window was probably no concern, right?
    Guy likes this.
  18. Electronic Ink

Dee was finally forced to give up when she fell a third time, because not giving up would probably have gotten her a little bit dead. She was really glad nobody could see her because it was particularly ungraceful; both boots skidding in different directions before she outright fell off the roof. The only reason she didn’t plummet to her death was Gomgossa.

Apparently just as avoidant to falling as she was, the Baba lashed out and bit into the edge of the roof; Dee was left hanging in midair for a few moments, long enough to gather her bearings before she realised something was off. Gomgossa the Fire Eater wasn’t a very old plant, and its roots weren’t very entrenched in the quiver’s soil, and she twisted to grab hold of the bricks on the side of the building. The Baba’s roots tore free before she could, and she dropped again; this time, she only averted broken legs by giving a quick little hop before she hit the ground, the pegasus seed-like magic catching her.

She turned and jumped upwards again, grabbing onto the edge of the roof to haul herself up, but the pirates were nowhere to be seen. She hissed her displeasure as she realised that she had no hope of catching up now, and turned to see Gomgossa the Fire Eater weakening. It would probably hang there limply for a day or so before it died properly; she could already imagine the terror of the townsfolk upon realising that somehow there was a Baba on their roof. She’d have to plant a new one.

“You’re the fire eater, you rubbish thing!” she shouted at it, venting her anger on the poor plant. “Not the dirt eater! What are you doing?!”

Unsurprisingly, she got no response, and she turned her back on the plant. Her scythe was seemingly fine where it had hit the ground, and she strapped it back to her baldric, retracing her path backwards to find her seed shooter. It was soggy and wet but she found it in a puddle, surrounded by more scattered seeds; gods damn, she could still feel seeds in her boots, she was going to get stone bruises. And she was pretty sure there was somehow one in her underwear.

The seed shooter, too, was holstered, and she looked around for any sign of the other Kokiri.
    “Hey! Jerk!” she shouted, shoving her hands under her arms. It was really cold. “Jerrrrk! Where are you, you Suspicious fool?!”

She didn’t even consider that he may still be in pursuit, because if she’d failed he certainly had too. Her first clue as to his whereabouts was the literal corpse.
    “Ooh,” she said interestedly, nudging the frostbitten body with her toe. “Ice magic, by the looks...ow, you landed badly, didn’t you?”
    This was her specialty! By snooping about the corpse, she’d be able to find out both about the pirates and Jerkface!

So. Ice magic was a certainty, given that the pirate was frozen as a Yeti’s butt. That was all she could really find about Jerk on this body, but there was plenty of stuff about the pirate available to her. Firstly, he’d been holding a fairly nice crossbow- it had snapped in the fall but the wood was polished and the bolts scattered around him were of decent quality. So whatever his pirate-y trade was, it was something profitable enough to earn him the roop for nice crossbow bolts, even though the guy couldn’t aim for shit. His clothes weren’t overly fancy but weren’t terrible either, supporting the same conclusion. The guy was somewhat tanned, which meant he spent time in the sun, but his fingernails held no traces of dirt, so he wasn’t a field worker. Given their location, he was probably a seaman, but she had no way of knowing if he had a respectable profession outside of being a Suspicious Dirtbag. Which wasn’t respectable at all.

She dug through his pockets, but sadly no insane stroke of luck occurred. No scraps of paper with his employer’s name, or with proof of who had organised the child kidnapping, or with a list of targeted children. This was, as much as she hated to admit it, a Dead End. Standing up, she glared at the utterly useless corpse.
    “You suck,” she muttered, squishing his hand below her boot as she strode on through the puddle-ridden street.

Jerk had to be somewhere around here. Maybe that kid he had saved would be a better lead than this corpse, and he could lead her right to the kid. If he wasn’t enough of a fool to have forgotten about his hire.
  19. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

After a moment's haze, Rika's eyes flickered open to see his scenery had changed. The skies had turned to wood, and its their downpour had stalled. No, that wasn't quite right. His eyes focused, and he saw the decimated opening that was once a window, harsh rain flooding in from the small opening. That was when his ears caught wind of the hurried cries nearby. His eyes shifted to see a mother embracing a young girl, her face contorted in horror and her thin fingers trembling, wrapped around the young girl. "Please, not my daughter too!" She cried out at the Kokiri, her eyes welling.

Still momentary dazed, Rika could only mutter, "What. . . ?" Then, his senses came rushing back to the present, to everything that had happened within the last ten minutes or so. "I'm not a pirate." He responded, his voice almost offended by the accusation.

"Just. . . leave!" The woman roared coarse and frightfully toned words back. She was not concerned about the person that just crashed through a window? Perhaps it was presumptuous for him to say, but was that not a bit rude?

"Ugh. . ." Rika groaned, bringing himself upright. He glanced over at the duo. The girl looked to be around ten, and was of similar size to Rika. She was the perfect age to be kidnapped by pirates. "I'm leaving, relax." He ordered, though, as expected, the woman's aggressive demeanor did not change. Stumbling out into the rain, it was likely the pirates had all but fled, what with him being momentarily disabled. He had no faith Dee would have managed to continue pursuing them. They were hasty now, though, which left Rika with two options; first, to ensure Larina was safe; second, to find Earl and Pipi. Had they confronted the pirates like Larina, they were certainly in worse condition- but the pirates were desperate to escape from their pursuers, and children would be difficult to take along. In such a scenario, if they were lucky, they would abandon the two kids entirely, and at the very least they should be able to follow up with the fleeing pirates.

For now, though, Larina's location was, more or less, a known factor, but he still had to ensure she had not been re-kidnapped by pirates amid all the confusion.
  20. Electronic Ink

Dripping wet and bitter, Deanna spotted the carnage wrought by Rika’s unceremonious entry into that house before she spotted the red figure ahead of her. Someone was gonna have a nasty time repeating their roof. And all the mould from the rain getting in. Gross.

She sped up her pace to catch up to Jerk.
    “Lost them,” she grunted irritably, aware that had their positions been flipped she’d be mad at Jerk even though she’d failed to catch them first. Which meant someone far less charitable than herself like Jerk was would be thinking the same thing. “The one you killed gave me some Clues, though. These aren’t your average crappy pirates. They’re making some decent roop with this smuggling stuff, which might mean they’re... more competent than I assumed they’d be.”

She kicked at a puddle angrily, before saying in a contradictory lighter tone “But that’s good! I hate it when I have to catch idiots. Really dampens the mood when they’re too stupid to keep up with themselves.”

She turned a fierce glare on Rika.
    “Never got around to asking you, Suspicious. Or rather I tried, but I focused on your leash-holder before you. What are you doing here? What’s your story? Why are you hanging around with the kids and why’d you try so hard to help me chase down that Suspicious Criminal?”