Potential Pokemon Tournament?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WillowtheWhisp, Oct 23, 2013.

1. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Just want to see what kind of interest there would be in a pokemon x/y tournament.

There are a few things that would have to be covered, though:

1. Do we want to allow pokemon that can't be caught/otherwise found in X/Y, via the Pokebank app, etc.? (This would also delay the tournament until Mid December)

2. Do we want to restrict Mega-Evolution use, or should they be allowed?

3. Are there any pokemon that should not be allowed, or should we restrict ourselves to certain "tier" brackets (check Smogon.com for these), or should there be no restrictions at all?

4. Do we want to do Singles, Doubles, Triples, Rotation?

5. Do we want to do 2v2 battles?

And many other questions.
  2. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I'd love to participate, especially after levelling my team to 50, but I'm afraid I'd be at a huge disadvantage for not having cleared the game. Especially if even one pokemon from my team is not allowed to participate, I can't participate. I'd love doubles or 2v2, though.
  3. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    It's okay, I haven't cleared yet, either. Also, as far as I am aware, all pokemon are scaled to level 50, either up or down. I'm still not sure if that can be changed, but it does help even things out, if only a little.

2v2 could definitely be fun.

As for prizes, I'm not sure what I would do. I'd like to avoid anything that is related to the HC roleplay, including rupees. I'm also willing to Breed specific pokemon for the winner(s), barring shinies and legendaries that cannot be bred, as well as fully EV train them, but beyond that I'm not sure what else might be suitable.
  4. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    If we can figure this out I might have an additional player- my brother says he's interested.
  5. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I'd like to participate, but it would be a while before I scraped together a half-decent team.

Eh... I'm kind of iffy on that. Mega Blaziken is just insane.

Smogon doesn't yet have tiers established for Gen6, though. :tpr: I could see not allowing legendaries. If I recall correctly, Blaziken (before it's Mega evolution), Excadrill, and Wobbuffet were the only uber non-legendaries last Gen. The pseudo-legendary dragon types should be a bit more balanced now that Fairy counters them, too.

I'm impartial to the other questions.
  6. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Truth be told I'd have to use my main team... Which is neither EV-trained nor finely balanced. Still, even if I do get trounced in the first round it'd be fun to just give it a go... On second thought I'm in. What do I have to lose?
  7. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

I still have two badges, and most of my pokemon aren't fully evolved yet. What's the worst that could happen? :haa:

But yeah, sure, why not? I'll see how far I can get before it happens. And maybe we can do more tournaments in the future?

EDIT: I wasn't very clear about it, but I'm only participating if I can get a full team together and evolve them all fully before it starts.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  8. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Well, it might not happen for awhile, so there should be plenty of time to level your pokemon or what have you. The earliest I would even consider running this is either late next month or sometime in December. I'm just checking so see who all would be interested, to see if it would even be worthwhile putting a tourney together.

As for the mega-evolutions, all of them seem pretty insane in general.

As for what pokemon should and should not be allowed, I think that it would be safe to just say that legendaries aren't allowed. Even some of the uber tiers aren't quite as good (Wobuffet was moved to borderline between Under Used and Over Used, and I have yet to see a Drillbur/Excadrill anywhere), so most non-legendary ones would likely be just fine.
  9. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Count me in. Let's play a game. A game of substitutes & ladders.

4&5: I'd be okay with singles or doubles, I'm not used to 2v2 but I'm willing to try poketennis.
  10. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

I'm in. I'd say allow Mega Evolutions, if everyone has one then the field is even.
  11. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I'll make sure to bring six of them, then. :haa:

But really, Mega Blaziken seems insanely better than the rest. Need I remind you that a single turn gives +2 Attack and at least +1 Speed to an already-strong pokemon? So long as it's switched in strategically, I'm not even sure a defensive Mega Blastoise would fare well against such a beast. (That's not even considering it can Baton Pass, and give these boosts so something even more deadly.)
  12. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Too bad you can only have one Mega Evolution on your team in a battle :haa:. You can have plenty with stones in hand on your team, but only one of them can use it during the battle.

As for Blaziken, he might be very good, but everyone has him. If you want to outlaw Blaziken, thats fine with me, but leave the other Mega Evolutions. Though, I really think Mega Gengar or Mega Alakazham are good counters to him.
  13. Chi

Chi Pre-everything insanity girl reg

Sadly I'm probably going to be late to the party and miss out on the guy, and that last sentence really irks me, and something I really don't understand. Yes everything shouldn't counter everything, but needing Mega to counters Mega is a huge problem, and then it limits the choice of Megas to be used to compensate from an already limited list.

From what I've been seeing/hearing of Mega Evolutions without actually getting to experience them for myself, I don't think they should be really allowed with the small exclusive nature of the Megaevo club. Creates a situation where those who do use Megas benefit majorly, and limits those who don't want to use one of the few with a mega evolutions, such as myself who would want to have the freedom to create the full team I want and not be screwed over by not choosing something from a extremely limited list of old pokemon that my opinion varies from "I liked you, but I have other pokemon I'm interested in despite your strength" (Mega Blaziken, which sours my taste a bit when it comes to playing the main story) to "why the heck did they do this for this overhyped blah" (You all know which one I'm talking about*)

*You all know who I mean, and if you don't pssst I mean mega charizard.
  14. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Well, Mega's aren't exactly ubers, and you sacrifice an item slot for boosted stats basically. There are a lot of OU pokemon that when holding something such as a Life Orb or Choice items that will out perform the Mega Evolutions, who don't get to hold an item because it's taken up by the mega stone.

Honestly, Mega Evolutions are good, and some of them WILL be Ubers, but a lot of them are in the OU range.
  15. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    I still think that mega-evolutions likely should not be allowed. I think that they warp the game way too much and that they could make battles very one-sided, which is the opposite of what I want, as this tournament is literally just supposed to be for funsies. I would be banning legendaries for the exact same reason. They provide way too much strength and winning potential to be used in a tournament where skill level, and over all pokemon strength, are inevitably going to vary a lot.

That said, Toko did suggest something that might work. I have already been toying with suggesting that those of higher skill level impose some form of handicap upon themselves. Toko suggested that they simply not be allowed to use mega evolutions, but that everyone else be allowed them.

Still, this is already approaching a far more complicated level than I would like.
  16. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    My main team only has one pokemon capable of mega evolving and its megastone isn't available until the postgame. Since I want to EV train my Charmander and Torchic, those presently can't mega evolve either.

So no, not everyone can use a mega evolution, and considering the enormous advantage they create I think banning them is best for now. Maybe later we can do a 1-pokemon-per-player tournament revolving around them.
  17. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

I agree. Don't allow them. People with them just have too much of an advantage, and it's too limiting not allowing them.

Or alternatively we could do it on a case by case basis. See how many mega evolutions one person has on the team they'll use for battle and only allow the other person to use the amount the one with less had. Say I have 1 and I happen to go up against someone with 3. They'd only be allowed to use one of those three instead of all 3.

Mind you, I personally prefer just banning them altogether. This is just an alternative solution I'm throwing out there.
  18. Chi

Chi Pre-everything insanity girl reg

Well You're only allowed to use one Mega Evolution per battle anyways.
  19. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

Oh... Well, I wish I had known that before XD.

In that case yeah. Just ban them all.
  20. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    I hear the sounds of battle! And since I can connect to the internet now, can I join in?