Zelda Wii U on Nintendo Direct [Japan]

Discussion in 'Zelda Discussion' started by Blonde Panther, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Footage.

Yeah... on one hand, while the battles look awesome, I dunno. This looks to be a co-creation with the makers of Dynasty Warriors, and if the entire game is going to be like this then we're looking at a complete genre overhaul. It's not doing it for me. I want my dungeons and my overworld exploration.

If this is not a prank, and future videos don't show any classic Zelda elements, then Nintendo dropped the ball here as far as I'm concerned. I had 'Zelda Wii U' on the list of reasons to get a Wii U, but... no. This will not make me get it.
    Guy likes this.
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Uh. I think too many people are seeing this as a mainstream "The Legend of Zelda" game and not a "Hyrule" game. In the west, the tentative title is Hyrule Warriors, seemingly for good reason--as even without including "Zelda" in it's name, people are acting like letting someone develop this is a terrible mistake. I mean, really, it's a spin-off. Even the Nintendo president who reveals Hyrule Warriors in the most recent Direct says it's not a core Zelda game, but just bringing the Warriors' action-oriented gameplay to the Zelda universe.

To reinstate the obvious, this is a crossover between The Legend of Zelda and (Dynasty) Warriors, developed primarily by Toei. In Japan, Warriors is known by gamers for doing crossovers with other well-known series (including Gundam, even). Outside of Japan, Zelda is ridiculously more well-known than the Warriors series, and as such too many people are seeing this as a Zelda game and not a crossover of two popular series.

This is no more a Zelda game than Link's Crossbow Training or the Tingle DS spin-offs. In fact, as a crossover not designed by the main Zelda team, it probably has more in common with Super Smash Bros. Nintendo is likely not putting Eiji Aonuma and the other creators of the main LoZ series behind Hyrule Warriors any more so than they're putting 'em behind SSB4.

So, I find it hilarious to hear Zelda fans--not just you, Blondie--treating this like a core "The Legend of Zelda" game, and acting like Nintendo has "dropped the ball." People are used to seeing Mario and Pokemon games getting weird spin-offs, so, I'm not sure why those same people are freaking out over Hyrule Warriors and not stuff like Metroid Pinball or Pokemon Conquest.

Anyway, I can't judge much from less than two minutes of footage, so I'm not sure how good or bad it will be. The whole thing just has me shrugging my shoulders. I'm personally more interested in Donkey Kong, Kirby, Bravely Default, and the other games featured in the recent N. Direct--even if Reggie and Iwata are terrible at making them seem exciting. Needless to say, the Smash Bros. announcement of Rosalina caused me to orgasm repeatedly.
  3. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I think the problem is mostly that aside from Wind Waker HD, which was a remake and thus doesn't really count for some people, this is the first Zelda game on the Wii U. I would've liked to see a big main series Zelda before they got into the spin-offs. That would also have made more sense, considering a lot of people still don't have a Wii U.
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Well... It seems like you're implying they're not working on one. For better or worse, one of the few series Nintendo takes a great deal of time making any core console Legend of Zelda game. I used to think they were spaced out intentionally, but now it's likely they just take many years to be able to have the same team consistently make GotY games in the same series for over 20 years.

I would be amazed if there hasn't been a team working on a new Zelda game for the Wii U since 2012. Excluding Majora's Mask (which was made by a separate team and designed to be made on a tight schedule), every core console Zelda has taken at least four years to develop since the days of ALttP: '91, '98, '02, '06, '11. At this rate, we'll probably see Zelda showcased next year at E3 ('14) and see the final game released a year or two later. Unfortunate and something worth complaining about, yes, but... not something too surprising.

Something like Hyrule Warriors (and ports) is released in less time, unfortunately. The fact it's set in Hyrule is coincidental--or at least it seems that way to me.
  5. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Well, better to work on a game for years and have it be huge and memorable like Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess than to churn one out every year and make it terrible and forgettable. I just find it a strange marketing decision to reveal a crossover before a main game. Ah, well. At least that means I can wait for the Wii U's price to drop before I have to get one. Until then I can try and clear Skyward Sword Hero Mode and 100% the games that I have. Almost done with Link Between Worlds...
  6. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Hey ya'll I just had a little something to say.

As much as I wouldn't get a Wii U just for one game, I actually like the idea of this crossover and the possibility it presents for illustrating what a full-out ground war would be like when we usually don't see them in Zelda games. I would probably actually get this game if I had a Wii U already, but I probably won't until it has wider selection of interesting titles and a lower price tag.

I don't mean to go off-topic but the 3DS really does it for me. Ya know. It doesn't have the graphics of the vitamins but it has all my favorite games.
    Guy likes this.
  7. Onyx Leo

Onyx Leo His smile and optimism: Gone. reg

I'm a bit mixed on this as well, but for different reasons.

I think an action-based Zelda game is exactly what the doctor ordered. Even better that it's a spinoff, on the chance that this fails miserably it wouldn't tarnish the main series' reputation. (Other M, lookin' at you!)

However, most of the things I hear about Musou games aren't very nice. A lot of people say that they're overly repetitive, boring and lazy, and that's not what I want to hear is being attached to my Zelda. One good thing about it is the fact that Nintendo will definitely be looking over Koei's shoulder while they're making this, but that brings me to my next point...

Fan Service. Outside of Smash Bros, Nintendo isn't always good at doing it. The number one thing I want from this game is being able to play as the ancestors/descendants of my favorite characters in the Zelda U. Blowing away armies as Vaati, rolling over troops with Daruna, and steering Captain Linebecks ship through the battlefield. That's the crap I want to see. I know that Musou is capable of doing it since having a huge cast is a big part of the Dynasty Warriors games, Buuut I could also see Nintendo wagging their finger and going "no no no, you can't touch these other series. Just play it safe and create 10 Links that use different weapons and call it a day."

Or even worse, "Pad it out with your own original characters."
  8. Guy

Guy Admin admin

:wtf:

So much :wtf:.

I could rant about that comment, but I am barely managing to keep myself on-topic as it is.

It would be pretty awesome if those characters made it in somehow. I would have called it virtually impossible if Nintendo was developing the game, but third-party developers have a much greater tendency to make throwbacks to Nintendo's history. (Smash Bros., Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country Returns, etc.) I think the greater problem is that most side-characters in Zelda aren't considered popular enough. Time well tell, though.