Writing Contest #1: Celebrations!

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Blonde Panther, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Writing Contest #1

To celebrate the grand opening of the Ylisse roleplay, we’re hosting the first of hopefully several writing contests! The idea is simple: We provide you all with a prompt, with which we expect you to write a short story featuring one or more of your approved roleplaying characters. All mods who haven’t entered the contest will then read and judge the stories, after which a winner and two runners-up will be chosen. (Exact number of winners will depend on how many people participate.)

This first time, the theme is ’celebrations!’ Write a short story about your character or characters at a festival, party, banquet, or any celebratory event for whatever reason you can come up with!

Of course, 'short story' has as many definitions as there are writers, so I won't impose a word count that you have to stay within. However, please don't submit entries the length of a solo RP thread or a NaNoWriMo project. Entries are to be submitted in this thread, we can't consider entries that have been PMed to us.

There is no limit to the number of entrants, but every entrant can only submit one story. We’re accepting entries from now on until July 31st, and will have our judging done by August 15th at the latest. We allow placeholder posts, but obviously we can’t take incomplete or not-posted entries into consideration for judging. You can change your entry as many times as you like.

Prizes:
    Winner: 2 levels and 4/5 of a weapon level for a character of your choice.
    Runners-up: 1 level and 2/5 of a weapon level for a character of your choice.
  2. Knight_of_G

Knight_of_G Member reg

Here be my entry. If I gain anything, It goes to Alaine.
    Party time (open)
    "Celebration time, boys," Alaine announced, throwing open the doors to her favorite late-night tavern. She and her entire crew fell in behind her, though thankfully Verana's wyvern stayed outside. "That was one hell of a tough job, but you all did everything perfect. I'm buying tonight," the mercenary smiled at her little group. She quickly took a corner table, set her booted feet upon it, and ordered the hardest drink the tavern made.

"Remember, no wasting tonight. You have some more decisions to make tomorrow," Osney quietly reminded her. There were so many other bothersome papers for her to deal with that her guardian had lovingly piled on her table.

"Don't brink that up, damn it! We're celebrating a job well done," Alaine growled, her soft smile replaced with a scowl. Osney knew the look. Even if he had more experience than she did at fighting, there were times where she grew angry enough to kick his ass, even when it came to combat. He backed away a bit. Alaine's smile returned. "And if it's the drink you're on about, worry not. Five of these friggin' things don't even make me tipsy," Alaine grinned.

"F-five?!" the aged knight sputtered. It took three to get him tipsy. And he was taller and broader than she was.

First order of business was dinner. All ten of them were hungry. They pushed some tables to make one large communal one. They all ordered something different and passed around things they wanted to trade off. A ham, some beef, a potato stew, chicken, corn, mutton, carrots, salad. Verana paid the barkeep to just leave a fat sheep beside the tied up wyvern outside. It wouldn't leave a drop behind. All in all, that dinner was a satisfying meal.

Next was the dancing. There was always a dance floor open here, and though it wasn't quite the Harvest Day Festival, the band came up to the stage and played every night, and many folks from the village danced their stresses away. Alaine danced with Jacob, James with his wife Terris, and Tobias and Torvald almost constantly traded off partners, usually between Toby's sisters Aoife and Naoise, though Verana would occasionally switch in and out.

Osney was enthusiastically clapping on the sidelines, and no one bothered him about it. Everyone in Alaine's company and most of the townsfolk knew that he would dance, but his gimpy leg made it terribly difficult for him to keep up. However, the past few times they'd come down here, Alaine kept noticing a woman sitting with him at the edge, clapping along and chatting with the rough man.

The fiddlers and the coronet and flute players knew a variety of songs that could be danced to, and they kept switching it up. First was a fast waltz with lots of partner-changing, and then, a new dance called 'the tango.' It pitted the partners pretty closely together, and several of the partners in that dance began to kiss. Alaine knew she kissed Jacob as the dance was ending. There were a few other dances, but the mercenary had been dancing in her armor, and decided to leave the dance floor to cool off.

After a long while, the band packed up and left, likely to sleep. By then most of the town was leaving or had left already. Alaine excused herself from a conversation with the town's magistrate and ordered another drink before plopping down in that same chair at the same corner table. She was exhausted, sweaty, and everything was beginning to get sore, but for the first time in a while, she could really say that she felt happy. Content.

She looked around the place. James and Terris were slow dancing, spinning slowly 'round and 'round to their own tune. The triplets were taking turns doing the same, though all three had glasses at the bar. Osney was turned away from her, talking to some of the villagers. The woman from before was still there. Verana was talking to Torvald, who had just failed to pick up a barmaid thanks mostly to how drunk he was and how sloppy his flirtations were. It looked as though the wyvern rider would come over and talk to Osney soon enough.

Alaine smiled to herself and looked back at her mug of liquor. It had just been refilled, and so she sipped at the tankard. The mercenary looked up and was surprised to note that her lieutenant, Jacob, was right across from her, nursing the same kind of drink as she was. He looked at her with a smirk and wiggled his tankard at her.

"You're not thinkin'--?" Alaine said, but was interrupted by her lieutenant.

"Drinking contest. Last one conscious wins." The fighter faced her, eyes deadly serious. His grin, however, spoke of the fun he was having.

Alaine grinned back. "You're on!"

"On three. Ready?"

"Three!" Alaine announced, tossing back the tankard like it was a shot glass.
    ---

The next day, Alaine awoke with a splitting headache. She looked around and determined that she was in her own room. The curtain was open on her one window, letting in the daylight. She cringed away, curling into a little hungover ball on her bed. It was like swords were stabbing her eye, and the mercenary felt wasted.

I suppose I -ow!- owe Osney an apology, Alaine thought, her mind sluggish, and her eyes and head in pain. She tried to remember how she had ended up like this. Lessee... Had a... hard-ass job... It went... pretty... pretty fuckin' well... I... called... for a celebration... There'd been... dancing... drinking... An image of Jacob's playfully grinning face flashed in her head, shaking his mug at her. Alaine resisted the urge to slap her forehead with her palm. She had drunk sooooo much liquor... "But I won," Alaine smiled and croaked to herself, "So worth it."
  3. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Since I will not be grading this contest, I will participate. Entry is technically complete.

The Harvest Festival (open)
    With all the fighting and the bloodshed going on at the borders, it was easy to forget that Ylisse and Plegia consisted of more than the border territories, and were inhabited by more than just soldiers. In one of the more fertile provinces of Plegia, a horde of people had gathered together for one single purpose: to celebrate the unusually rich harvest of this year.

Amongst the civilians were many performers- musicians, storytellers, firebreathers… you name it, they had them. The plaza of the unnamed town was completely crowded, save for the large stage in the center, where the more energetic and stage fright-less performances took place.

“Hey, Ariel!” The dancer turned around, making a ‘hn?’ sound but not taking her teeth apart. Talking was hard with your mouth full of caramelized apple. Taking it out of her mouth was going to be tricky, too, since the troupe cook had yet to hex her a third arm, and the two that she had were occupied holding all the other food she had purchased. “Sweet mother of Grima, Ariel,” the usually flute-playing Laura said, “are you going to do anything else but eat today?”

Ariel made an unintelligible series of sounds, prompting the girl to tilt her head. “What was that? Gimme that.” She reached forward, grabbing on to the stick that Ariel’s caramelized apple sat on so the dancer could open her mouth.

“He was cute!” Ariel blurted out, “I couldn’t NOT buy anything!” This prompted laughter from Laura.

“You are hopeless, girl.” She shoved the apple forward, and Ariel could only just open her mouth quickly enough to avoid getting the thing in her face instead. The flute-player gave a gesture with her head, and the two started walking, with Ariel wondering how she was going to finish eating. Maybe this hadn’t been such a good idea.

They elbowed their way through the crowd- or rather, Laura did, as Ariel had her hands full. On the way, the flute player randomly reached into Ariel’s arms to grab the local products and scarf them down. “Ahm sur someon’s gawt a bag,” she said with her mouth full, “Wet’s fwee up those awms.”

“U-hu.”

----------------------------------------------------

Laura pilfered a linen bag from one of their troupe members they came across in the crowd and helped Ariel stuff her purchases into it. The two performers then made their way to the edge of the plaza, where the people were slightly less packed together, and plopped down onto the ground. “My leeeeegs,” Laura complained, “Ariel, can you carry me?”

“No,” Ariel plainly said, getting up to toss out the stick of her now-finished caramelized apple, and putting her hands on her knees as she bent forward to look down at her friend. “Since when are you so bothered by walking, anyway?”

“I normally ride in the cart,” Laura said, with a pouty face, as she reached into the bag and chomped into an apple. “I’m wot used two wawking. I’m wot WOU.” Ariel grinned, briefly wondering who was eating all day now. Honestly, between the moment they ran into each other and now, Laura had almost constantly dug into Ariel’s purchases. The flute-player didn’t know Ariel knew exactly how much gold everything had cost her, and that she would be paying for every bite.

“I’m considering going onto the stage,” she said, looking to the center of the plaza. She’d never had a large stage available to her before, and she was eager to try it- stage fright was not in her vocabulary, after all.

“You just can’t sit still, can you?” Laura said, having cleared her mouth. “I say go for it. People can’t smell you’re a mage, so I don’t think we’re in danger of being drafted into the army here. And it’s not like we’re gonna be here for a lot longer, anyway.”

“Eheh… okay, so… can you pay for the stage?”

Silence fell. “Wait,” Laura said, “What? You want me to reserve it?”

“Yeah, I uh…” Ariel scratched the back of her head. “I kind of went over budget when I bought the food earlier…” Laura burst out laughing, but Ariel immediately formed a stern face. “Food that you mostly ate, I might add. Pay for the stage and I’ll forget about it.”

“You’re cruel, Ariel.” Still, the flute-player smiled as she stood up from the sidewalk. “But you know what? I’m in a generous mood.” She hooked her arm into Ariel’s and dragged her back towards the crowd, in the direction of the stage.

----------------------------------------------------

Ariel shivered as she stepped onto the stage, the material cold on her bare feet. Feeling the eyes of bystanders, she brought her hands together and inhaled deeply, exhaling as she put one foot right in front of the other.

That’s better, she told herself. Don’t think about the war. Don’t think about Dark Magic. She raised one arm above her head, lifted her chin and opened her eyes. Just dance.

Should I win anything, my prize will go to Ariel.
  4. [v]

[v] Member new

Why would someone need a placeholder post for the contest?
  5. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    It's more for myself. That way, I know how many people are participating and who is and isn't- in case not enough mods are available to judge, I may need someone from the rest of the community to do so.
  6. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

Oh, it's for you? I didn't know why either, and I had no plan to, but if it's mainly meant to benefit the mods I'll make a placeholder post as well.
  7. Kei

Kei New Member new

Please consider this a placeholder.
  8. Fcgfyv

Fcgfyv Knight of Mind reg

Another day at the tavern, and the partying crowd was crazy. And not in the nice way. All kinds of people, poor, rich, drunk, sober, young, and old were having their way on the dance floor. The band had played the song probably thousands of times in Baron's presence, but he always managed to enjoy whatever they were doing. Not to mention pointing out the slightest mistakes in how they played the song from last time. A bunch of wasted ruffians were thrown out for being in a fist fight, but none of this was new to Baron. He just sat back and continued to have a good time, although he was careful not to show it.

Baron spotted a girl that made her way out of the dancing crowd, and turned in every direction, as if looking for something. When they made eye contact, she walked toward him. She was dressed rather nicely for the occasion, and her light blue dress flowed softly behind her following her swaying hip. She smiled as she approached Baron, and she moved a curl of her long brown hair out of her face as she met him. "Hello." she greeted, her words seemed to float on the air.

"Greetings, miss." Baron replied. She had to have been a customer, because no one else comes over to his table for anything else. At least for no reason that Baron had seen.

"May I sit with you?" she asked.

"Sure." There was no reason to not let a customer sit, so she might as well. The woman pulled out the only other chair at the opposite end of the table and sat down. She kept her eyes to the mob, with an anxious look and posture. She didn't seem interested in paying for any job, so Baron was very confused. Before he could ask her any questions, she asked one first.

"What's your name?" she asked, with a slightly playful tune to her voice.

"Baron. Baron Quickveil." he answered.

After a few moments of silence, she broke the ice. She must've been waiting for Baron to ask her the same question. "I'm Anna Gordan." A few more seconds of silence. Baron decided not to ask her any questions, and wait for her to leave, since she obviously wasn't here to pay. She asked "Why aren't you dancing?"

Puzzled at why she would ask the question when she wasn't dancing anymore herself, Baron said "I'm not a dancer, and I don't even know what the party's for."

Anna leaned her left arm on the table and pointed at the dancers. "Do you see those two?" Her finger landed on a nicely dressed couple dancing lively, standing out from everyone else both by the way they danced and how they were dressed. "They just got married, and everyone is celebrating." She turned her face to him and pouted. "Well, everyone except for you."

"I don't do parties." Baron replied, trying to keep conversation as minimal as possible. But that didn't seem likely.

"Come on, everyone can party! I'll show you." She got up from her chair, and gestured toward him. "Come dance with me." she said, with her words on wings.

"Thank you for the offer, but I'll pass." Baron replied. This girl Anna was starting to annoy him, so he looked away from her and at the rest of the crowd.

Anna moved into his line of sight, put her hands on her hips, and told him "Fine, then I'll just tell all of the other girls here that there's a handsome and lonely man who wants to have a good time."

Darn, not more girls; one was already a handful. And Anna seemed intent on keeping her word, so he decided he might as well. Plus, she didn't look that bad to him. "Alright, alright." he conceded. As he got up from his chair, the band started to play a slow song. Everyone in the crowd started to put their arms around each other and slowly rock from side to side. Anna's hand was outstretched, revealing the golden ring on her ring finger. Baron exhaled a sigh of relief, held her hand, and walked her to an open spot on the dance floor.
  9. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    Jacob's 38th (open)
    Jacob walks through the streets of the port city of Waterdeep whistling a small tune. For once he is not wearing a form of armor in public, but is instead wearing a white sleeveless shirt and plue pants of a common worker. Many people stop and stare as their lord walks through the city with no protection, armor or otherwise. Jacob smiles and waves to every one of the people he passes being in a very good mood. Why is he in a good mood? Well today is his birthday. The one day that he disappears to a random city away from Temple Keep and his duties as Lord Temple. Jacob looks around at all the street vendors and working men and women. Carrying only a small sack of gold he puts back from for his birthday, only about 150 gold pieces, Jacob heads to his favorite shop in all of Waterdeep.

Smiling Jacob looks up a large pig sign with the words "Slaughterhouse" written in worn black iron letters. The door opens with a creak as a large man looks up from hits counter. A half smile smirk on his face under his bushy beard he extends his large hairy arm to Jacob. "Mornin' Lord Temple. It your birthday again?"

"Yeah it is. What ya got in stock taday? Any wild boar?" Jacob asks pulling out his sack of gold from his pockets and casually tosses it up in the air catching it repeatedly.

"I think we might. Hold on a second and I'll look in the back." The butcher walks into a doorway that leads to the rear of the building. He returns a moment later holding a whole wild boar over his shoulder. "You're in luck mi'lord. Last one. Usual price."

Jacob removes 50 gold from the sack and lays it down on the counter. "50 gold as usual. Very good investment. Thank ya kindly."

The butcher hands over the boar taking the gold. "Happy birthday mi'lord. Oh! If I may ask, how old are ya?"

Jacob stops at the door before turning back to the butcher his scar showing with a big smile. "38." With that Jacob walks out back onto the street.

After walking out of the butcher shop a group of children surround Jacob. One little girl who looked no older than five or six tugs at Jacob's pants to get his attention. Jacob looks down to the small girl and her light pink dress. "Howdy children. What c'n I help youns with?"

The little girl blushes a bit before speaking in her tiny voice. "Mister Jacob whatcha doin' here? I thought you lived at the castle?"

Jacob chuckles walking forward the crowd of children following him."Ya got me. I do live in tha castle, but taday's a special day fer me. It's ma birthday taday."

The girl's face beams as Jacob says it's his birthday. "Really?! It's my birfday too! How old are you Mister Jacob?"

Jacob stops walking and leans down next to the little girl. "It's yer birthday too? How old are ya?"

"Hey! No fair! I asked you first."

Jacob chuckles a bit patting the girl on the head softly with his free hand. "Ya got me again. Ya did ask first. I am 38 today. That's real old. You won't be that age for a long time." Jacob pulls out five gold pieces and hands them to the little girl.

The girl stares in disbelief. "Mister Jacob. For me?" Jacob nods as the little girl takes the coins and hugs Jacob. "Thank you Mister Jacob."

Jacob smiles warmly as an older woman yells from the doorway of a house. "Hey! Get away from my children!" Jacob stands up and waves. The woman steps back in shock. "L-lord Temple! I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be-"

Jacob cuts her off midsentence holding his free hand up. "It's fine. Nice girl ya got here ma'am. I'd like ta invite ya ta a party later tonight. Bring everyone." Before the woman could say anything Jacob kept walking down the street.

Most of the day continued like this as Jacob walked around Waterdeep buying random odds and ends. The huge boar, some fire wood, a troupe of Bards and Dancers, a spit, several knives, forks, and plates, along with tables from a local woodworker. As the sun was beginning to set Jacob started setting up the tables and the spit over a fire pit. Several people walked by wondering what their lord was doing. Some offered their help, to which Jacob politely refused and invited them back after sunset, and some just walked by.

The sun was setting as Jacob started up the fire and a few people started to gather because of Jacob's invations. Smiling at the group of people who had gathered. The people murmered to themselves as Jacob skewered the boar on the spit and started to cook it. After asking the butcher to turn the boar every so often to get it nice and cooked Jacob stands on one of the table and using his commanding voice says, "Thank ya fer comin' everyone. Now I know this boar don't look like much, but...I got s'me more comin'. In fact 'ere it is now."

As Jacob speaks a large heavily armored General followed by a platoon of House Temple Armor Knights carrying foods of all sorts, other food stuff, and more fire wood. The General walks up to Jacob and removes it's helmet revealing Leslie's long green hair. She smirks before nodding to Jacob. "Happy birthday mi'lord." Leslie then turns to the platoon and without saying another word orders the Armor Knights to set up the fires and begin preparing the rest of the food. Several of the cooks and bakers from the shops of Waterdeep take over for the Armor Knights.

As the Knights got everything else ready Jacob once again turned to the crowd. "Alright everyone. As ya know it's ma birthday. So let's party!" Jacob throws his hands into the air as the Bards and Dancers start preforming. Jacob gets off the table as the Armor Knights remove their helmets and join the villagers in their merry making. Jacob smiles knowing that every troop in attendence was a Waterdeep native. This was Jacob's gifts to his troops. In fact even Leslie was born in Waterdeep. Although she had no family left it was obvious she enjoyed being back home.

Once the food was prepared Jacob helped serve everyone their food, even his own Knights, before he even thought of getting his own food. After everyone had gotten their food Jacob began carving himself what little was left of the boar and the other animals that the Knights had brought. Sitting alone at a table Jacob smiles as he watches the people of the town having fun and enjoying the party. Jacob starts eating as Leslie and two other Knights get up and walk into the nearest bakery.

Jacob looks up confused as Leslie taps him on the shoulder to get his attention. "Yeah Sentinel? Whatdaya...huh?" In front of Jacob held by the two Armor Knights is a giant cake. The words 'Happy Birthday Lord Temple' and a large 38 with an 'x' through the 3 and a 2 written above it. Laughing the lord stands up and reaches up to pat Leslie on the shoulder. "Alright. It's cake time! Now which one of you wants the-"

An armored hand smacks Jacob as gently as possible across the right side of his face. Stepping back a bit from the force Jacob rubs his face as Leslie hands her lord a plate and fork. "Your birthday. You get first piece." Not wanting to piss off his bodyguard, one of the few people bigger than himself Jacob takes the first, and biggest, piece of cake as Leslie cuts the cake.

The party lasts a few more hours Jacob talking and dancing with everyone there the party dies down and people begin to leave to go home. Jacob sees them off and thanks them for them being there. Leslie and her platoon were sent back to Temple Keep ahead of Jacob himself as Jacob finished putting everything he rented back.

"Mister Jacob." Jacob turns around to see the little girl from earlier in the day looking up at him.

"Howdy little lady. Shouldn't you be home right now?" Jacob smirks a bit kneeling down beside the girl.

"I never got you a present Mister Jacob. Everyone should get a present on their birthday." The girl holds up a small box that is poorly wrapped in a piece of paper that looks like she drew on. She hands it to Jacob a big smile on her face.

Jacob smiles back and takes the little present. The girl nods to Jacob to open the present. After looking over it Jacob very carefully unwraps the present to find a small box. In the small box is a jade statuette of the Diving Dragon Goddess Naga. Obviously costing a lot more than the five gold pieces Jacob looks for the little girl who is gone. After looking around for the girl with no success Jacob looks down at the paper the box was wrapped in. On the paper is a picture drawn by the girl. In the picture the girl stands smiling holding hands with Jacob. The words 'Thank you Mister Jacob.' sloppily written across the top. Folding up the picture neatly Jacob sticks it in his pocket and stands up beginning his walk back to Temple Keep.
  10. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    The Sendoff (open)
    Noah Garod sat, silent, in his study. He supposed this was to be an occasion to be celebrated; years of training, instruction and study had culminated in this, after all. He was going to finally, finally set foot outside of his home. But, he preferred the quiet. He continued reading, etching every detail of the tome into his mind. Had it really been twenty years? Twenty years since his village had been destroyed? It seemed almost unreal to him.

He stood. So this was it. This was the last night here, for who knew how long he would be gone?

Noah ran his hands through the bag. Food, vulneraries, books, charts, maps. That was all well and in order. He also had his blades and had practiced his magic till it had danced through his head. His armor was set to go at any time, and as long as he had his robe he could sleep most anywhere.

He was ready enough. Ylisse, Plegia, whatever there was, he was going to see.

The door opened. His adoptive father (though he called him "uncle") walked in.

"Are you ready?"

"I am."

He smiled crookedly. Noah knew that smile. He knew not what his surrogate father was planning, but clearly he was not as ready as he had hoped.

"Then come outside. We've a bit of a parting gift for you."

"We?"

Noah didn't get an answer. Instead his uncle only flashed the same devious smile and left. Did he meant the servants and his teachers? For what, though?

His answer, when he stepped outside, was waiting for him.

His teachers had gathered, and those who had raised him had as well. His uncle was waiting with two wooden training weapons. An axe for himself, a blade for him. Noah blinked.
    "Uncle, what's..."

"Well, I don't think either of us has ever been much good with words... so I figured I'd have a good spar with you before you go. This ought to work out any jitters you have, anyway, right? Hey, if you win, I'll even get you some of the bread you love."

Noah smiled ever so slightly. This was entirely like him. And for some reason it set his mind at ease. No matter what happened, some things never changed.

"All right. Let's go. I pray your coin-purse is ready, uncle."

"Oh? Look at this pup! You can say that after you've beaten me!"

They fought matches the whole afternoon. They didn't need words this way, only the tacit understanding, an unspoken promise behind the mock battles that they would, regardless of what happened, meet again, that this would not be the only sparring session they would have.

After they had finally stopped, they and the rest of the gathered guests had a modest feast of their myriad favorite foods. A single happy house, aglow with smiles and laughter, for but one single night. It was low-key, but then, that was the kind of person Noah was to begin with, so he was content with such a modest send-off, and no one complained.
  11. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    As a reminder: Please have the final versions of your entries in this thread by Wednesday so we can start judging. I will LOCK this thread on Thursday and PM entries will not be considered.
  12. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    We are no longer accepting contest entries. Judging will begin as soon as possible and will be carried out by Darth Slaverus and Squishy- as I have entered, I cannot judge.
  13. Darth_Slaverus

Darth_Slaverus Member vet

After much deliberation among the judges, we have reached a consensus. The results are as follows:

WINNER: Blonde Panther: +2 Levels, +4/5 Weapon Levels

Well done, BP. The judges felt that your entry seemed the most like a genuine interaction in-universe, and your attention to detail, such as having your characters dialogue change to reflect that their mouths were full, was not only creative, but humourous. Bravo.

RUNNER-UP: Ultra5: +1 Level, 2/5 Weapon Levels

You obviously put a lot of effort into your entry, U5, and you did a wonderful job of showing off Jacob's personality to your audience. However, it did seem that you tried to cram a bit too many NPCs into your story, and be careful that your style of writing in present-tense, while perfectly acceptable, doesn't lead you to make choppy or blunt sentences. Otherwise, excellent work!

Fcgfyv:

A strong contender for the runner-up position. The judges felt that you did a great job of setting the scene, as well as writing dialogue between Baron and Anna. The ending did feel a little abrupt, and might have been improved by adding a little more action, but rest assured, you came very close to getting a prize.

Knight of G:

Some might have said your concept was unambitious, but I think a simple plot can often be the most effective. To that end, you managed to weave an entertaining tale about barroom antics. Unfortunately, your entry was held back by the fact that its middle section, the meat of the story, was dedicated to setting the scene rather than focusing on Alaine. Had it been structured a bit better, you might have been able to snag a prize...

UnnamedDude:

While the premise of your story was an interesting one, the judges felt that it was brought down a bit by Noah's apparent lack of a reaction to the surprise presence of his teachers. Additionally, it might have been a bit more poignant to end your entry with the final exchange of dialogue rather than the descriptive paragraphs that followed. Still, by no means did you do poorly. With improvements taken into account, your entry had the potential to be quite powerful.

Overall, the judges were extremely impressed with all of the entries, especially for those who are new to FE roleplaying or writing contests in general, and we look forward to seeing you all in the next writing contest (Hopefully soon!). Again, thanks to all of the participants. If any of you would like a more in-depth discussion of your entry, feel free to PM me or approach me on AIM.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.