Words you really like the sound of but aren't sure why

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AnimeLuxray25, Aug 8, 2014.

1. AnimeLuxray25

AnimeLuxray25 Member new

"Macaroni" "books" "crackers" "dog"

You guys? :P
    Cloud likes this.
  2. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    I dunno, I can't think of any words I necessarily like the sound of, but I can think of tons of words where the spellings seem especially odd or malformed in some way, given how the word itself sounds. Things like "puddle," "soup," things like that. I don't know, the entire thing is kind of weird. In fact, human language as a whole is probably one of the oddest concepts ever.
  3. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Stupid animals making sounds to communicate with each other doesn't seem like an odd concept to me. :tpr:

Anyway, I'm a sucker for repeating consonants, so words like "railroad" are pleasant-sounding to me. Words with multiple "k" sounds are the best, such as "coffee can," "kayak," "kyaku," or "kokiri." One of my single favorite words ever is probably, "katakataka," shortly followed by "kilokaiser."

The only other words of which I can think of which I like the sound are either proper names or fictional words, such as, "Falcane," "GaoGaiGar," and "D'nigdip"--or foreign words, such as "Youkai," "Biblioteca," or friggin' anything in German.
    Cloud likes this.
  4. Clank

Clank Can we please kill the overuse of AJAX? reg

I've always liked the sound of cinnamon.
  5. Darth_Slaverus

Darth_Slaverus Member vet

Nefarious is currently my favourite word. There's just something about it that makes me laugh.
    Cloud likes this.
  6. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Speaking as an English Major (who didn't pay as much attention during this topic as she should have so can't go into detail), that's because English has gone through a lot of sound changes in which the spelling didn't change along, or spelling changes in which the pronunciation did wonky stuff. It makes pronunciation a nightmare compared to languages like German and Dutch because the spelling actually leads you to pronounce stuff wrong.

I mostly stopped by to be a wise ass on that topic, but I guess for some reason I'm partial to the word 'inordinate'.
    Cloud likes this.
  7. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

'Lobster' looks and sounds pretty funny to me for some reason. Or 'buccaneer'.

I feel I should also mention 'colonel' because the pronounciation of it is such a mess :tpr:
    Cloud likes this.