Well, son, it's Tantari Desert {Sunwell}

Discussion in 'Southern Hyrule' started by Guy, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Dark? Sienna silently chuckled at the comment. The surroundings were plainly visible to her--bizarre as they are, with stone and sand floating midair among an expanse of stonework and obelisks that seemed to stretch far in all directions, covered in runes and symbols she couldn't decipher if she tried. It was a labyrinth if she ever saw one. Yet, there was something she did not recognize in this darkness. It seemed to be a shelled corpse, she at first thought--an exoskeleton left behind in its life. Yet, it did not resemble any creature she had ever witnessed, much less slain. Moving across the bizarre landscape of pale sand, Sienna approached it carefully, only for Julius to illuminate the beast and see it for himself.

Guy found himself glancing around the dim light. That Gerudo chick was probably obliterated and devoured by now. It was not much of a loss, insofar as he cared. If anything, Sienna would be mildly annoyed she didn't get to add another tally into her disturbingly long list of torture-deaths. Wherever the trio were now, though, seemed utterly surreal. Gravity seemed low, here, almost nonexistant. Whatever hell the wurm outside was unleashing upon the tower, the ground on which they stood did not quake in the least, and the tumultuous sounds could not even be heard as a whisper. It was as if that trap door led them into a completely different world-- a new dimension entirely. Perhaps this was Sunwell proper? In truth he had no real understanding of where exactly their quarry was to be found...

Both Denzritas jumped suddenly as the being buzzed, springing to life--or something which resembled it. As if on instinct, Guy's entire body burst into flame, brightly illuminating the entity and the surrounding area. Sienna flinched back from her brother, forgetting for a moment he could even friggin' do that. In mild annoyance, she turned her attention back towards the steely anomaly as it spoke. All three seemed to be absorbed in it.

When Julius posed his question, Sienna just ignored him, instead thinking about how she might slaughter the newfound creature ahead of her. Meanwhile, Guy slowly rubbed a hand across his flaming chin, "...It reminds me of mechanical Beamos. I assume you both remember that time we seemed to travel back in time, when we hauled back that liquid fuel? The construction of this thing--the standstone colored metal and such--reminds me of what we saw there. It seems to recognize your race as well, Julius." He shrugged, answering, "Hylians came from somewhere before arriving in Hyrule. Maybe this oddity is from the same place--and recognizes your ancestors, but not Deku Scrubs."

The robot continued to hum and churn in a beeping, whrring fashion as it seemed to analyze Guy's form. Finally, it came to a convlusion, "ZZzt. Inconclusive data. Anomaly. Bzzrt. Relation to Octorok is possible."

Guy twitched, "If this thing calls me an Octorok again I'm going to sick Sienna on it." The woman scoffed. "Anyway," Guy continued, with flames idly cracking around him, "What I'm saying is... it's either related to the distant past, or some faraway land with Hylians in it. Maybe both. It's hard to say. Definitely not... alive. Maybe they built it?"

Sienna shrugged with indifference, "Those damn walls." Her glaive directed attention to the ruins surrounding them, "Same kind of symbols as that temple."

Guy gave a slight nod, "So there is a relation... If it is an ancient creature, though, why can it speak modern Hyrulean?" He turned towards Julius, shrugging, "That's the best I got."

"Oi." Sienna poked it, "Tell me--" The creature abruptly whirred loudly, its green eyes flashing a sudden red. "Warning! Bzzt! Warning!"

Guy growled at Sienna, then at the entity, "Calm down, damnit! She isn't harming you!" Well, not yet anyway. Regardless, the entity continued to flash red, whirring and speaking loudly in an intimidating fashion. Guy turned towards Julius, "It responded to you before. Try controlling it, or something." He abruptly extinguished the flames on the body, hoping it would realize he wasn't trying to attack it. No avail. He added, "It's our only source of information on this place. We can't read those walls..."
  2. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    "Hey, uh," Julius stopped for a moment, unaware of what to say or do next. He looked towards his other two companions in the dim light of the place, but found no help from them.

Suddenly, an idea crossed his mind. "Hey, Beamos-mechanical... thing. What do you know about where we are?" He was sure this thing -- if it was, in fact, from here -- would have some kind of information about where they were. If they were anywhere, at least.

Its voice grew much louder without a warning. "PROCESSING -- wzzt, whrrrr, bzzt," and it continued on in such noises for a long while. How odd -- it seemed to recognize him, but not the two Deku Scrubs... of course, it had been made in this environment, then it wouldn't especially surprise Julius that it might not have ever seen one.

"Maybe it thinks I'm a Gerudo, or something," Julius remarked off-handedly. "I mean, it makes sense. I'm about as tall as one, and I haven't taken my armor off, either." He didn't know a whole lot about Gerudo culture -- other than that there were some sects that took to wearing extremely heavy sets of armor, and swinging around monstrous axes. "I wonder... Do you guys think that 'king' is actually out there?" It was harder to say about the supposed royalty, too, since the entire place had been... essentially devoid of life, outside of the worm they had encountered, and the small party of Gerudo. He wondered if the worm had even noticed that it had devoured her.

The machine's whirring whizzes and clanks and clunks began to slow, growing to a whisper, before the thing began to speak in a surprisingly clearer voice -- as if it were playing back a Message, in fact.

"Where this unit is stationed is just beyond what was the village of Nabooru," it began. It was a voice that wasn't its own -- to Julius, that meant it had to be some kind of magical effect. "This is the..." A sudden static in the noise cut it out for only a moment, before it continued in the same clarity as before, "...Ganon. We have failed to prevent his pass from Death Mountain, and the Hero has failed. We, the Sages of Fire and Light, have created these units to attempt to halt his advance against Castle Town, and indeed, the last bastions of civilization as we know it." It stopped for a second, though it was obviously only a pause in the speaking.

"This is a last-ditch effort to stem the tides of evil. The Hero is gone, and they-- the ones who departed into that hellish place so long ago-- never came back. Clearly, this means they've met their ends before Him as well." Sounds of sobbing, of crying and desperation could be heard in the background, at this point. The voice stalled before it could continue speaking. "...We record this message in the hopes that any -- if anyone -- comes after us, they may know what happened here. He has unleashed a beast -- a terrible, terrible beast, wrought from the sun itself. It marches upon its eight legs, almost like a spider yet it bears the form of a Wolfos. Even now, Ganon rends the earth into sand -- it is impossible, now, to grow anything. It is my duty, as the Sage of Light, to go now, and face this beast in battle. The Sage of Fire has..."

An explosion rings clear in the sound, and the message ends. "Whhr, bzzt. This one," it began to scan the walls, "can tell you where to find-- bzzt, zzp. Whrrr." It paused for a second, seeming to come in and out of whatever state of consciousness it had. "This one is nearing a state of critically low energy, whrrr... zzt... However, my final directive is to point any who come after -- you -- to the wall, zzrp. Bzzrt, zzp... This tower stands approximately... 100 -- bzzrt, clunk... 100 miles east to north-east from Death Mountain, whrrrrr..." It trailed off, and seemed to not respond any further.

It was a lot to take in for Julius. The Sages had made these things? Ganon was rending the earth to desert? What else had been going on in that fucking message? Whatever fear that had been present in his heart before was now... Well, it was amplified, at the least. He had no idea of what to think about any of this -- the Sages had died battling a beast 'wrought from the sun itself'. How could they measure up to that might? What could they possibly do to harm such an entity? For that matter, were these worms creations of Ganon as well?

He hated to admit it to himself, but this might not be something they were capable of destroying.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  3. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Guy's immediate thought was that he wanted to get the fuck out of here. Seriously, he did not want to be stuck in a dystopian future of endless ruin. His eyes peered up, searching for the entrance from which they came--not even tiny slivers of light, or anything could be seen. It was simply a black abyss, with no visible door from which they entered. When the robot's voice quieted and its body grew dull and motionless, Guy slowly added, "H-how... do we... get back...?"

Whatever the wurm had wrought, was there even any means escaping here?! Could they even leap back to where they had fallen from? Guy was not sure even he could, which was instantly a huge weight on his mind. Not only were they in this hell-hole, but he didn't even have anything to call an escape plan. He's gotten out of worse, though... Things would end up alright...

...Is what he tried to tell himself. He was struggling to retain his cool demeanor in the wake of everything that machine just said. Guy needed to take the edge off somehow. Glancing away from the others, a hand dug through his back, and he hastily but stealthily shoved a particular mushroom into his gullet, swallowing quietly. Relief would come soon.

Sienna just let out a low groan. Maybe with the gravity as weird and low as it is here, she could probably vault back up to the door. But who gave a shit about that. She wanted to see what that Ganon bastard did to Hyrule--and her interest in that was almost as much out of respect as anything else. She gave a sideward glance towards Guy, saw what he was doing, rolled her eyes, and then looked towards Julius. Her low but warbling voice rumbled out, "We gonna kill the worm, or this wolfos thing?"

Speaking of wolfos, it was really too bad their damn steeds couldn't handle the desert. Sienna was fit, but only as a powerhouse; hiking over a barren wasteland was not her idea of a great time. Leaning over towards Guy, she delivered a swift smack to the back of his head, "Summon your damn horse."

"F-fuck," Guy groaned. His hand felt the bruise forming slowly on the back of his scalp. "You're lucky I'm made of stone." In truth, he was already feeling significantly more chill and detached about the fact they were potentially stranded in a dystopian future which--even if they returned back to Hyrule--he might have to experience considering he had potentially another century left in him. "Anyway... yeah, I can't read Ancient Hylian. My sister herself is too dumb to read anything, probably. I don't know about you, Julius."

He side-eyed his sister with an annoyed glare, before pulling a wooden 'Deku Saxophone' out of his Adventure Pouch with a smooth motion. An oddly long time seems to have passed since he last played this instrument, but he was sharp enough to at least keep it in good condition. He would have more time later to reminiscent about the sweet, jazzy melodies that came from this wood. Instead, he needed to focus on its more practical use. A couple dozen notes played with a surprising flourish--echoing into the dark, eerie abyss of a world which surrounded them. As soon as Guy finished, a certain familiar mammal abruptly arose from the sand beneath their feet, as the brown-maned Gordon the Horse neighed enthusiastically.

Without delay, Sienna clambered atop the horse in place of her brother--a rather easy feet considering the low gravity here. She gave Guy a glance, but her brother just responded, "I wonder if he can even gallop... in this environment."

With a sneer, Sienna answered, "I'm going to find something in this place to kill, whether he can gallop or not." Reaching down her hand, she forced Guy up onto the steed, plucking his already lightweight body up and putting him in front of her. A soft smack of her hand on the horse's behind sent it trotting towards Julius.

A sigh escaped Guy. "She seems pretty intent on exploring this place... But really, what did that weird statue thing even mean? Should we try to find Death Mountain, or Nabooru, or what?"

EDIT: Okay nevermind because Cloud can't just say what the fuck he means.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  4. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    "Well," Julius thought for a second. "I think we're screwed either way, honestly. But it sounds like the Wolfos... thing, whatever, is more important. Like it's... I don't know, sort of like the 'center', or whatever, to this world. Like it's existence depends upon it?" He stopped speaking for a second, trying to make sense of his own thoughts. "Either way I would be much more willing to face the Wolfos than try to actually go up against one of those worms. I don't even think we could get near the things before our armor just started to..." He shuddered, involuntarily. "Melt onto our skin."

Their tunics were good, but he knew they weren't that good. He doubted any of their weapons could even withstand the heat exerted by the creature anyways, and they sure as hell didn't have the time nor the materials necessary for field repairs.

"Anyways, if I had to guess..." Julius pondered the robot's last message -- about being, what was it? Eat to northeast? And it had also said that Ruto was nearby... "Well, geography must have shifted quite a bit in this world, if we're east of Death Mountain and Ruto is close." It didn't exactly take an expert on geography to figure that out. "I'm still concerned about that supposed 'king', too, if he is indeed here. If we get lucky -- and this place doesn't just go on forever -- we might be able to find him here, somewhere. Considering we already ran across some of his forces... I think we might be on the right track. We just need to figure out what he might and might not know -- but also who else is in here with us. For instance, we've known for a long while that Ganon's forces like wandering the coasts and deserts. Some of them just find it more agreeable -- so it wouldn't surprise me if they wound up here, too. Either way, we need to steer clear of those worms and keep passing around the water."

It wasn't hot in the shadow land they inhabited now. No; it was cool, calm, and collected... as collected as a land without the grasp of gravity could be, however.

"I think it said something about a map, too..." He looked across the wall, lighting what little he could with the Spark atop his fingertip. There definitely had to be some kind of information here. He grazed his fingers across the stony surface, feeling for any pattern of bumps, raises, or etches in the stone -- to eventually be rewarded with what seemed to be a grid. Eventually, he felt out two dots, both sat somewhere on the grids.

The tower they sat in, and Death Mountain itself.

"Well. It seems that Death Mountain obviously has some importance, here. Let's get out of here and go check it out."

And with that, he began his ascent, to hopefully find whatever -- whoever -- could help him in felling the beast that had, in this world at least, slain two sages and turned the world to dust and sand.
  5. Guy

Guy Admin admin

How long had it been? Guy needed to remind himself that they left that twisted tower only a few hours before--that that colossal beast of monstrous flame was long gone, and another hadn't been seen since. He had to remind himself they were still in this desert, that he was still the same person. This was all necessary, because the scene playing out before him was simply surreal.

The trio had ascended the tallest dune encountered in hours. The sweltering sun had fallen. In its wake, a bright and beautiful moon illuminated the desert--reflected off Guy's glistening black skin. Sands once golden and glowing now sank into a deep, dark, blue hue. Everyone felt the unbearable heat melt away into unbearable cold--though thankfully they were better equipped for such a climate. The dunes that stretched before them seemed more like the waves of the ocean, stilled, than hills. More uncanny by far than the dunes, was the countless soldiers running over them far ahead. In the distance, Guy, Julius, and especially Sienna could all see armies of hundreds clashing over an oasis. The battlecries and clashing of steel rang out even from this distance--perhaps as much as a mile away. Through the darkness, he couldn't be sure who was fighting who--but assumed at least one side had to be Gerudo, judging from the forces they subdued earlier--and the prisoner left behind.

There was a dark grin in Sienna's voice, "Nothing like a battlefield..."

Guy gave his sister a knowing look. Before he could say anything, she continued, "Mutilating corpses, and soon to be corpses..."

With a dark smirk, he added, "...Looting the bodies..."

Sienna laughed softly, "A family tradition." Guy answered with a chuckle of his own. However, she quickly changed the subject. Knowing the others could not see as easily, she began with a groan at their incompetence--but nonetheless summarized, "The forces are extremely aggressive... Gerudo on both sides... and... Moblins? The Gerudo are employing longbows, and the Darknuts have thick armor, yet... No side is gaining ground. The sheer recklessness of their fighting is... admirable... but will ensure the battle will end soon."

"So," Guy began, "We can wait it out--then pilfer and interrogate anyone who's still clinging to life?"

Sienna gave a silent nod, then looked towards Julius--as if expecting something from him.
  6. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    Julius nodded, watching the fight as the moonlit sand danced around them.

The forces soon drew into a stalemate as Sienna had predicted. It seemed that Ganon's forces--from what he could observe--had a slight advantage in numbers, using raw power and unit superiority to muscle their way through Gerudo lines. But, the Gerudo easily adapted, easily catching the monstrous army in a sort of pincer attack, barely containing them in a small circle of bodies.

It was down to... He could barely make out the silhouettes at this point. It looked as if there were... Anywhere from ten to twenty on either side now, seeming content to duke it out in mostly single combat until the last being fell.

Julius looked over at Guy and Sienna, both of whom were already on their way down to the battlefield. He began to catch up to them, thanks to his Pegasus Boots, being able to cover shorter distances in rapid amounts of time. Eventually, they were at the battlefield-- no more than a kilometer from where they were standing before, he guessed.

They already knew what to do, even if he didn't agree with it. Looting the dead... was something he thought best left undone. But, interrogation? He was good at it. Handy at it, even.

Between himself and two formidable Denzrita fighters, the rest on both sides of the armies were easily subdued. He hadn't given the Darknuts a warrior's death-- he had given that task to Sienna instead. It was less of a fight, and more of a slaughter. The sheer brutality of Sienna's tactics never ceased to amaze him.

The weaker specimens, on the other hand-- the Moblins, the Gerudo-- they would be quite easy to deal with. Quite easy to... extract information from. Easy if he had to use force, at least. Easier if he didn't.

He looked at one of the Gerudo women squirming on the ground. He rolled her over from being on her stomach to being able to look at Julius through his visor. "Where is your king?" He asked the groaning desert woman.

"F-fuck you, demon dog," the Gerudo spat, phlegm dribbling out of her mouth.

"Ah. So you think it is such that I am one of them... Well, you wouldn't exactly be incorrect. We may or may not be the same in nature, but I assure you, where as a Darknut is content to kill swiftly and efficiently, granting to you the sweet reward of a swift and tender death, I will make you endure pain that will make long for the swift blade of a Darknut's blade." A sharp kick went to the woman's side, causing her to groan louder. "All of this can be avoided, easily." He took off his helmet, looking deep into her eyes. "Tell me where your leader is, and no one suffers."