Wall-Scaling

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Guy, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Name: Wall-Scaling

PWC Type: Courage

Appearance: No visible effect, aside from a seemingly supernatural ability to climb.

Description of Function: By concentrating one's willpower into the extremities their limbs, the user can easily crawl upon walls and ceilings, even perfectly smooth surfaces without handholds.

Limitations: Once this effect has been established, it requires some concentration to maintain, to the point most Spells or other abilities generally cannot be used in tandem. Furthermore, at least three of the user's limbs (assuming two arms and two legs) must be in contact with the wall at all times.

Etc: If the user later gains the Wall-Walking treasure, the cost of that treasure may be reduced by the amount expended on this treasure.

Wall-Scaling (open)
    `Wall-Scaling
    Original:Guy, Skill - Utility
    [Empowerment], [Force], [Footwear], [Travel]

C5: 23 rupees
    C4: 30 rupees
    C3: 45 rupees
    C2: 60 rupees
    C1: 60 rupees

By concentrating one's willpower into the extremities their limbs, the user can easily crawl upon walls and ceilings, even perfectly smooth surfaces without handholds. Once this effect has been established, it requires some concentration to maintain, to the point Spells or other abilities generally cannot be used in tandem. Furthermore, at least three of the user's limbs (assuming two arms and two legs) must be in contact with the wall at all times.

If the user later gains the Wall-Walking treasure, the cost of that treasure can be reduced by the amount expended on this treasure.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I would rather see if it's possible to blend this with Wall-Walking than have two treasures. Maybe in Wall-Walking it could just be opened up to walking / crawling?
  3. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Especially if you're going to deduct the cost of one from the other, it would make sense to me to combine them as well, unless there is a good reason not to that I'm not seeing.
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

This is meant to be a more affordable (half the price) and realistic version, used for characters who don't fittingly walk on ceilings. I would like my character Ruby (who has only C3) to be able to climb surfaces and ceilings skillfully, but feel that full-on walking would be a bit odd for her. That's not to mention, getting full walking would cost a C3 character 90 rupees...

Furthermore, it also functions as a stepping stone. Since this is a skill and not a spell, most characters don't abruptly learn to walk on ceilings. Having one progress to the next makes sense for those who would wish to have a more logical progression--rather than just save up a bunch of rupees for abruptly learning to ceiling-walk.

EDIT: If you'd rather just incorporate this into Wall-Walking, and give it two "levels" (as Crafting has three levels), I'd be just as fine with that.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  5. Quill

Even that seems like a lot to me. I'd be fine in reducing the price of Wall-Walking to make it more affordable and edit it to "the user can easily walk or crawl (but not run) upon walls and ceilings." If you think it'd be weird for your character to just walk, have her crawl. Having two levels to something so simple, especially when they're so similar in nature, just seems like overkill to me. I'd be down with adding a crawling clause into Wall-Walking and lowering its price to make it more affordable to non-C5ers.
  6. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Isn't that essentially what Guy suggested? That's pretty much having two levels of it, each at different prices.

Unless I read you wrong and you mean to say that just add the clause and then lower the price overall.
  7. Quill

That is what I mean. Edit in a "or crawl" into the function and lower the treasure's price.
  8. Guy

Guy Admin admin

EDIT: Oy. Never mind, I'll just leave it be. I'm sorry if I came off as ranting; I didn't mean to do that. I guess I'm just frustrated that things have changed in my absence.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  9. Quill

Holy frack, Guy, calm down. I didn't ask for a rant; not on what I said, the treasure itself, or the potential degredation of the Library in general. That's not a very appropriate response at all. Not cool, man :U
  10. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Edit: This was posted before I was alerted there were previous ones posted before it. May edit accordingly.

I am personally not a huge fan of having treasures you can 'level-up' by buying another portion of, just because it adds an extra level of depth that's hard to keep track of in the current system. The only time I would want to use it is if I felt there were no better concise choice.

That said, while I understand the desire to have a stepping-stone treasure, it also creates a bit of a redundancy in the already lengthy LoT. I think there's a difference to be made between treasures that build off each other and treasures that simply repeat one another. If the concern is cost, I would agree that Wall-Walking could be reduced in price. Since a lot of abilities are subjective, typically with this sort of thing we've left it to the discretion of the roleplayer--if a character were to be less talented with an "ability" treasure, then it makes more sense to me to simply roleplay that rather than adding another treasure to do so.

(Edited in) In regards to your "This isn't the LoT I created" I think it goes without saying that all the staff respect your creation. However, since you effectively abandoned it into hands not trained by yourself, we have been left to deal with it as we see best. Our response to the number of treasure applications was to effectively try and thin the herd, so to speak. We've viewed the LoT as a public resource, a place where people can add things that the whole community might benefit from--not as a place where individual characters can simply place their toys that they wish to use.

We thinned the herd because the volume of treasures we received was quite high, and the LoT was quickly getting very large. Even now it's really hard to just surf the LoT and find things you're interested in, and we worried it would be that much harder with many of the treasure additions being very niche. For this reason, a lot of the boundaries we added include being relevant to the canon, being practical, being usable by numbers of characters, and a few more things. You chose 'Dark Affinity' as an example, and on its own it's probably true that it would fall in the same camp we're sort of putting this treasure. The difference with DA, though, was that there were numbers of treasures connected with it, not just one.

As an aside, for the "Why crawl" question, you could presumably have more stability while crawling, fit into smaller spaces, or need less skill to pull off the maneuver (if, for example, some surfaces were more challenging to walk on than others).
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013