To Reclaim the Treasure

Discussion in 'Theocracy of Plegia' started by [v], Dec 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [v]

[v] Member new

It was a more pleasure trip on the way back from the Plegian desert. The clear blue sky above and the red lady beside.

The one-eyed mercenary thought to himself as he headed western, from Plegia's capital. Compared to when he was involved with the desert thieves, traveling on his own was much much better. Beside him was Emilia, the flamy red haired lady, which her charm was as fiery as her hair color, if not her beauty as well. She had been traveling with him from that one event, and was still apparently.

The road he was on led him to a hilly view at front, which his one eye couldn't see much of it yet, but his experience already alerted him that he was already near to 'Midmire'.

Midmire was known to be thief hideouts, and no sane people will traverse to that place without a real necessary reason. Many believed that one may find various stolen valuable by wandering in that valley, and they would be rich only if they got out of that trap alive.

For the mercenary, it was easy to tell that he was there for his mission, and he had to be paid handsomely enough for him to take this job. Few days ago, a particular millionaire in the capital was robbed at his own mansion that he found out his precious treasure was taken away. The culprit didn't hide well enough that the guards saw him, they just failed to capture the man. Still, it seemed to be enough to tell that the criminal came from Midmire.

Emile was still with him when he found the rich man's agent, approaching for a contract once he learned from the barkeep that this blind man was from 'the guild'. It seemed to him that the task got her interest that she volunteered coming along.

And Wolfe was not a type that refuse a company of the opposite gender.

"How fair are you, milady?" He asked in general before giving her a gentle smile, knowing that Emilia was not one to fall for his trick easily. "The road is not as difficult as I thought, I think we will enter the danger zone real soon."
  2. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

When she had started on the mission to the lost village, Emilia hadn't expected to go on another mission right away. But then again, she also hadn't expected to meet such... interesting companions. Especially the lancer. Much more charming than that grouchy tactician, though not as fun to rile up.

When their fight with the desert thieves had ended and they had split up the treasure found in the ruined village, Emilia had deciced to travel with Wolfe for a while. It wasn't like the guild needed her anytime soon, and if they did, they'd find her eventually. And it had turned out to be a good decision to travel with the lancer.

Wolfe had managed to get a contract to retrieve some rich guy's treasures from thieves hiding out in the Midmire. Not only did the mentioning of the Midmire thieves make Emilia's blood boil, since they were fierce competition to her own guild, but the reward had been more than handsome, even if shared between her and her male companion. As such she had volunteered to join Wolfe on the mission.

She gave a light laugh to his question, smirking at him. The lancer's tricks were amusing to her.

"Oh, I'm no stranger to danger. In fact, I'm quite fond of it..."
  3. [v]

[v] Member new

"As I've assumed so, milady." Wolfe chuckled a bit in return, as Emilia's answer was no her. He still remembered the first time they met and she made her point clear that no one was to touch her treasure. He somehow found that attractive, or rather challenging. "In this unknown land, I think having a streetwise person like you as my companion would be the wisest option, aside from the value-add of your skill and beauty."

Another wink had been shot out, wastingly or not?

In fact, it was exactly as Wolfe said to the lady. He doubted he will take the risk to pay a visit to this dangerous place. Although he knew that those mountain thieves were a group of untrained fighter, only well-trained pickpockets, thievery and robbery. He anticipated that he could take many of those kids at once, however, having someone to watch his back would be much safer.

"So, since we're talking about danger, Emilia," Halting the 'milady' title a bit before it got too bothering, the lancer got to the next topic in general. "how much do you know about Midmire? and probably its local bunch?"

As they approached, Wolfe noticed that the wind kept blowing stronger. It had to be from that spaces between valleys that worked so well as wind pipes. Sometimes, it was good to have only one eye to cover from dust.
  4. Squishy

She laughed again, the lancer wasn't being exactly subtle. Not that she minded, instead, she found it rather amusing, and at the same time flattering to get such attention from a man. Most men fled in terror, or, like the tactician, only became angry after spending time with her.

"What I know about Midmire? Well..." Emilia chewed her lip as she thought of an answer.

"It's a hellhole for sure. Some say it's haunted, others say it's just infested with the dreck of Plegian society. Especially the violent dreck. They've gathered in some sort of group not unlike my own guild, preying on any traveller dumb enough to pass through the mire. As for its locals? They're the lowest of the low." She said with a sneer.

"They mainly focus on the Midmire itself, though sometimes they venture out into our territory. They're quick and violent, but stupid. They know little of strategy, fighting them is much like fighting a wild beast. Though they're a lot more persistent and'll only stop once they're dead on the ground."

If there was one thing Emilia disliked about living in a desert country, it was the neverending dust and sand that kept being whipped up the wind. She tried to shield her eyes as much as she could with her hand, though it also made it harder to see in front of her. She'd nearly envy Wolfe for his eyepatch.
  5. [v]

[v] Member new

Wolfe listened carefully. So far, there was not much difference from what he had been informed by the mercenary guild, despite the addition of some insight detail which could be useful. Also, he liked how this woman phrase things in her own way as he found it quite fascinating. It was as hell-straight as a conversation can be and there was no place for mercy or fantasy in it. It told him Emilia had been seeing the world more than most women in her age group.

He began to understand how her speech never ceased to impress him.

"Not so different from the info I have, great." The lancer replied as he went deep in thought. He had a rough procedure of how to get this job done, and he had to see it possible to accept such dangerous job. He repeated what he had in mind. "First, we will need to find this thief guild, and then find the right culprit to retrieve item. If it goes well, maybe we can negotiate with them. If not, I guess we will have to threaten them a bit."

"Anyway, milady, I didn't know you're working for a guild." He turned to Emilia with interest, and then asked. "If it isn't too much to reveal, could you tell me what guild had so much honor to have your cooperation?"
  6. Squishy

Emilia frowned a little when she heard Wolfe's plans. She preferred to simply smash her way into the thieves' hideout and sort things out with violence, but the lancer seemed to have a preference for a more peaceful solution. Though she heavily doubted the thieves would let them solve this peacefully. Not that she would mind if it came to fighting, Wolfe's addition of maybe having to threaten the thieves was more to her liking.

"My guild?" She raised an eyebrow. It wasn't exactly a secret that Plegia had at least several thieves' guilds spread throughout the country, though that might perhaps not be common knowledge for outsiders. "There are a lot of guilds, mine just happens to be one of the bigger and more notorious." She said, almost with pride.

Then, she hesitated. Sure, the lancer was her companion now, and he was actually rather charming, but she wasn't sure how much she could tell him. Emilia didn't open up to people that easily. But to give him some kind of explanation, she simply smirked and said:

"Well, I'm simply one of the best thieves around, it's only logical I join the best guild."
  7. [v]

[v] Member new

So it's another thief guild, huh.

As he was not so certain before that what kind of profession Emilia was doing, the question was said. He guessed before she was a kind of treasure huntress, and probably worse, but didn't dare to believe as fact. However, even after he confirmed the truth with her, that she was doing illegal job like thief, he had no mean to judge or stay away from her with that as a reason. He just accepted it.

"I'd assume so." replied Wolfe, without any input, and only chuckling. "Last time was a little mess, so I guess we can work like pros today without those kids."

How exciting.

He noticed that the dust condition is getting better as they got near to the valleys. On the other hand, the wind became stronger and colder. Not that the weather was too cold to stand though. Finally, they had reached the entrance of Midmire.

"I think the dust is mostly gone now, what a relief."
  8. Squishy

Wolfe didn't seem to have any reaction to her telling him her real profession, though she suspected he might have already noticed her way of living wasn't exactly... legal.

"This time we'll be quick and merciless." Emilia said, and started to laugh, but quickly quieted when the wind stopped and the entrance of the Midmire appeared through the dust, her lips settling in a thin line.

No matter how many times she came here, the Midmire had something ominous about it. Maybe it was the amount of people that had died here and their souls that may or may not still linger, or maybe the eerie quietness, as the wind never seemed to reach between the steep cliffs and few animals lived here. Or perhaps it were the remnants of the giant creatures that once roamed the world, the remnants of dragons, scattered about the Mire like someone had simply dropped them there, their empty sockets still seeming to watch anyone who passed through.

But there was no time for silly superstitions or fear, Emilia told herself. Whoever had fought or passed through here long ago was dead, and would definitely stay that way. The only real danger here were the thieves, and perhaps falling debris if they walked too close to the cliffs.

She turned towards the lancer.

"So... Any hunch of where to look?"
  9. [v]

[v] Member new

Wolfe laughed with Emilia when she demanded to do the job mercilessly, he knew all well she didn't say it as a joke though.

The windy valley left no footstep for them to trace, nor any remaining smell to notice. He could only hear sound of the blowing wind as though it was warning him to turn around and leave. Aside from that sound, there was only their stepping and their conversation. If anyone was hiding near here, they would find it not so difficult to eavesdrop. Having something to barrier the wind should do the job.

He also had a feeling that they were already watched. In fact, Wolfe didn't just notice, but his sniper eye had just spotted a moving shadow from the corner.

"Instead of searching, I'm thinking that we should lure them out." The blind lancer said, without much effort to make it a secret plan. He knew there were many thieves, and one must be fool enough to take the bait. "That being said, milady, would you mind pretending to be more... less cautioned?"

Wolfe was thinking if he was missing something to catch the attention of the thieves. He wondered if they should come up with some kind of acting, to let the audiences believe they were millionaires, or that they had something valuable enough to get robbed. Whichever, he will need Emilia to play with the plan first.
  10. Squishy

"My, my, you're cunning! I like that." Emilia said with a smile.

She seathed her weapon, though her hand kept hovering around it, ready to jump back into action. Then, she took out a large jewel from her pocket, a spoil from their confrontation with the bandits from last time. She tossed it into the air, and caught it, repeating it a few times before turning to Wolfe.

"I suppose this should catch their attention... Now, to make it more believable."

Emilia hooked her arm around Wolfe's, still holding the jewel. She leant close to his face, whispering her plan in his ear.

"We're stranded millionaires. The horse pulling our cart full of valuables has broken a leg and we're looking for help. That should have them come running quick enough."

She smiled a little before pulling away, still keeping her arm linked through the lancer's, and tossing and catching the jewel with the other. While scanning the cliffs around them for any movement, she starting walking, gently pulling Wolfe along, and raised her voice.

"Oh, the poor horse! How are we going to get all of our precious jewels home now?"
  11. [v]

[v] Member new

So quick to get into action.

Not even she agreed with his plan, she appeared to understand his whole plot as though she took it from his mind. Wise people seemed to think alike, and this was what the sniper would call teamwork. He quickly adjusted himself to roleplay with the given plot. He quickly concealed the lance tip with a part of his cloak, making it similar to a walking staff with a satchel.

"Worry not, my Elizabeth!" He said, adjusting his tone to be bigger like an older man, saying stupid things. "We have enough gold to buy this whole mountain, let's not worry with buying new horses from these poor commoners! There is nothing in the world that our gold cannot purchase!"

The act ran on.

======

From not so far away hill, a shadow behind a rock moved back away to rejoin with others, he reported what he saw.

"I've spotted new preys, boss!" The thief scout didn't wait to report what he saw. "Seems to be an unlucky noble couple, I'd say, let's go get them before others do it!"

"Any defense?" Another thief asked.

"None!" The first one quickly responded. "they seems to talk about they broken cart or something, there maybe more valuables!"

A small group of thieves were discussing about their new preys that looks careless enough. A lie or not, they thought they were outnumbered anyways. Also, the large jewel from that woman alone was enough to risk. Therefore, they ended up giving it a try.
  12. Squishy

Their plan had worked, as they seemed to have attracted some attention. She would nearly say she was enjoying walking around like this with Wolfe.

Emilia saw some shadows moving from the corner of her eye, and soon enough someone appeared from the foot of the cliffs and ran up to them, weapons drawn.

"Hey there, missy. That's a sweet jewel you've got there!" It was a young man, not so much older than Wolfe or Emilia. His face was drawn in a cruel smile, and he had a hungry look in his eyes. These thieves were not even going to pretend to be helpful it seemed, though Emilia was slightly suspicious of the fact that he was just on his own. Reinforcements were likely nearby, though there was no telling how many there would be.

"Now you can either hand it over to me and tell me where the rest of the bling is, or I'll have to make some... changes to those pretty faces of you and your husband." The man continued, sliding a finger over the edge of his blade.

Emilia grinned, it was the perfect moment to drop their act. She tucked the jewel away and took out her blade, almost laughing at the look of shock that appeared on the other thief's face.

"Hmmm, what a shame I don't feel like giving to beggars like you~"
  13. [v]

[v] Member new

"Whatever the lady said," The rich man wannabe said as he skillfully swung his spear down just to stop it before hitting the man crotch. That certainly stopped the thief from doing anything. "And peace, it isn't like we're here for your life."

"Th--then, what do you people want?" Appearing scared enough, the lone thief questioned.

"Well, long story short, we come here to get back a treasure," Wolfe paused a bit before going on to the point. "stolen by one of you thieves not long ago."

The thief thought, as though he was trying to come up with escape plan. He said. "and what make you think I'll have such information, huh? We're all savages here if you don't already know, so why would I care."

"Oh... a tough one, aren't you?" The blind lancer replied. "But really, I really suggest you to spill anything you know right now, if not..."

"If not...?"

"See the hot lady here?" said Wolfe, his eye glanced at Emilia before looking at the mountain thief again. "Trust me, you don't want to make her angry. I may just use your 'belonging' as a hostage, but she'd cut it off already to interrogate you."

Both males then turned to the woman at the same time, though the lancer was the only one to ask. "Excuse me, would you do that, milady Emilia?"
  14. Squishy

"Depends on how quick he spills the beans." Emilia's lips curled into a wicked smile. Wolfe certainly knew how to catch her attention.

She sauntered over to the thief, still held at spearpoint by Wolfe, calmy placing her dagger against his throat. The thief shivered.

"Now, we can either do this the simple way," Emilia pressed the dagger into the man's throat a little harder. "Or the hard way." A single drop of blood slid down the thief's throat, and he let out a strangled sound. All his bravado from minutes ago had disappeared.

Emilia sighed in an exaggerated manner, then whipped her head back to the thief and looked into his eyes.

"Alright, let's make it more clear. I don't feel like playing games." She snapped. "I am going to count to three, and then it's bye-bye to you, unless you tell us where you dogs are keeping the treasure."
  15. [v]

[v] Member new

"O---okay, I'll talk!"

Feeling the chill from Emilia's knife and his own blood dropping, the thief had no choice but to speak. The thief girl already said everything Wolfe wanted to notify this thief, so he had nothing to add now. How convenient. He only nodded to the man, and still held his weapon in a ready manner.

"The one you guys are looking for isn't in our clan, he's a member of Verric's gang. their base is on the uphill fortress there."

The thief pointed up to the hill behind him, of which even Wolfe's sniper one eye couldn't see anything but fog all over. It appeared that the wind didn't blow much up there compared to the valley bottom he was at. He shifted his sight at the local thief. "Who is this Verric guy? and how many men he is commanding? If you know."

"Erm.. he is just a thief like us, he just had a better bit of fighting skill. Rumor has it that he's an ex-soldier of the north." said the thief, appearing not all sure about what he said. "Some of the bastards began to wag tail at him when they saw his fight, guess he has about... not over twenty? Not sure, they ain't present in Midmire all the time...like the one you people are after. He came back last week, with some treasures in exchanges with a wound at his arm."

"Seems like to be the same one, good." "What do you think, milady? I don't think he's telling a lie though."
  16. Squishy

That was all she needed to know.

'Verric...' Emilia hissed, almost inaudibly. Though she had never met the man personally, she was familiar with his name. Outside of her own guild, his gang was one of the most feared around. He was a deserter from Ferox, far to the north, and from all desert thieves, he was the most ferocious and merciless.

The redhead straightened herself, looking at the thief almost disinterested.

"He isn't lying." She stated. Without so much as a second glance or a word, Emilia grabbed her dagger and stabbed the man in the stomach, kicking him down to the ground.

"Though we can't have this one here go around alerting everyone of our presence."
  17. [v]

[v] Member new

"Uwah, and I was thinking to have him lead us."

Wolfe pulled back his weapon and looked at the dead thief. Although he knew how merciless Emilia was, this was still a little unexpected. Though when he thought of it again, it was understandable why she did so for both of them as much as for the success of this mission.

It reminded him again that he had been too far away from ordinary life were he was just a delivery man of a flower shop.

"Let's keep walking then, we'll need to find a way to walk up this hill." The blind lancer pointed at the foggy hill above and walked off. "Anyway, have you ever heard of this Verric at all?"

In fact, Wolfe knew a man named Verric during his service in military. The man and himself had been good war friends for the most part, but that ended when he lost his eye. If he remember right, his last meeting with Verric was when he was departing from the Longfort, back to his hometown in despair. It was just a simple good bye and nothing special.

However, he didn't presume that it will be the same Verric, he didn't see that his war friend would sink so low to become a mountain thief. It didn't make sense to him at all.
  18. Squishy

"If we want to have a chance of getting this band and have the upper hand on them, we can't have anyone announcing us. We'll find them soon enough on our own."

Emilia wiped her blade on a scrap of cloth taken from the other thief, before grabbing the body under the arms and dragging it behind a few large rocks. It didn't make much of a difference in hiding it, but it was better than to leave it out in the open.

"I've heard of him. His band of thieves is one of the few that often goes outside of this place. They often come to clash with my own guild in the cities... We've lost quite a few rookies and even some more experienced to fights with them. Though I've never seen the man in person... I even doubt he ever leaves the fortress."

She was quiet for a moment, then turned to Wolfe.

"And you? Did his name pop up when you were on the hunt for info on your mission?"
  19. [v]

[v] Member new

"Seemingly a dangerous guy, especially if he can cause you such trouble." replied the blind lancer, pondering. "Whatever, our target isn't with him but his underling. If we're lucky, maybe a fight with him and the gang is avoidable."

A fight with a dangerous bandit was not worth his pay this time, the mercenary thought. It would be great if they can get to the treasure without encountering the whole lot of thieves. It was sad how things never went as easy in this profession though.

"Naw, it's the first time I hear of the name." Wolfe shook his head in refusal. "However, I did know a man named Verric during my military service, a fun fellow to party with, but I seriously doubt this will be the same man. Wait, I haven't told you I used to be a soldier, have I milady?"
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  20. Squishy

"You're right. If we can find a way in other than the front door we might be able to avoid a lot of trouble." Somewhere it disappointed the redheaded thief that they probably wouldn't be charging in and smash their way through the hideout, but there was sense in what Wolfe said. Verric's gang was dangerous, even for two experienced fighters like themselves.

The lancer's last words piqued Emilia's interest.

"A soldier? Huh, guess that explains your battle instincts... and perhaps the eye. You've got my interest now." She wasn't normally one to make friends, but the lancer seemed different from most people. Smarter, definitely, and less annoying.

The hike up the hill was long, so they might just as well fill it up with talking instead of tense silence.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.