To Catch a Crayk (Quill 'n Squish)

Discussion in 'Academy of Sages' started by Squishy, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

A smile spread across Clarence’s lips as he watched Marcus try out the spell.

“Very good! The first time is always the hardest, with any spell, so don’t worry.”

He listened to his question, and thought for a moment before answering.

“Well, it’s both and none at the same time. It is a burning flame, and it does burn, but not like a real candle. A real candle’s fire won’t go out if you touch it, this one will. It’s still a touchy point of debate amongst scholars if it’s actually real or not, since no one has been able to touch the flame, but no one has been able to prove the opposite, of it being an illusion. I personally prefer to think of it as something like Blue Fire.”

He turned his head upwards again, summoning a new flame and expecting the source of the leak.
    It seemed like something had scraped past the stone ceiling, uncovering and damaging some pipes, out of which the water was leaking.

“That’s… not good.”

Either the crayk was bigger than they expected, or it was not the only thing on the loose in this wing.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Marcus nodded, smiling. "Oh, I get it," he said. This kind of theoretical debate was something he really enjoyed, and learning more magic felt so good. "Makes me wish I were a student," he said, a trace of longing touching his voice. To learn like this every day, like he did back in the Healer's Academy would be amazing. He was only sixteen- well within the age range of the student body. Still, he had been told that he hadn't 'met the standard qualifications,' whatever that meant. He was happy he was here, but it wasn't the same, not really.

"You're right," he said, looking up at the leak. "It's not. This thing must be huge- we've got to find it before it damages anything really important."
  3. Squishy

“You didn’t apply here as a student?” Clarence asked. “You’re not that old yet, are you? I mean, not too old for being a student? You could always try following some classes on off-hours if you wanted to.”

Another drop of water on his head reminded him of the problem at hand.

“Right, we’d better get after this Crayk first. As you said, it could damage something much bigger than just a pipeline. If it damages the reservoir here, there might not even be classes for a while.”

He slowly moved his hand around to light the rest of the hallway around them.

“Now, which way could it have gone…?”
  4. Quill

"I did," Marcus said, regret touching his voice, "I applied at sixteen, but my file was rejected." He blinked at the Headmaster's next words, a surprised but grateful smile spreading across his face. "I can do that?"

He cleared his throat as the Headmaster called them back to business. He was quite right; Marcus had a lot to think about, but there would be time to consider things later, once there wasn't a raging monster let loose in the school.

The Headmaster's light illumined a long chink gauged into the wall. "Follow the damage, I suppose," Marcus said, smiling. The sound of something crashing came from the distance, down where the chink led, and Marcus glanced, alarmed, at the Headmaster. "What was that?"
  5. Squishy

"You were accepted as staff member, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to follow classes here. Once we're done, I could write a letter of recommendation, if you'd like. Of course, you can always drop into my classes, perhaps you could learn a new spell or two." Clarence replied with a smile.

The crashing noise in the distance made him jump.

"Errr... That caught me by surprise." He muttered, coughing into his hand.

Soon, the noise was followed by the faint sound of running water hitting solid stone. Clarence paled at the sound, and hurried towards the end of the hall. Whatever it had been, it had hit something bad.

"I suppose that's our Crayk."
  6. Quill

Marcus could swear that his smile stretched from ear to ear. "That would be," he swallowed, not entirely sure of how to express the warm feeling that was rapidly swelling up inside his stomach, "amazing. Thank you- sir." He hastily tacked on the title, wanting to properly show his thanks for the kindness being offered him. And, truth be told, he was afraid that if he didn't show respect, the man would become offended and withdraw his offer.

The Headmaster wasn't the only one to jump at the crash. "Me too," he murmured. "Yeah." He hurried after his boss, rushing down the hallway and turning the corner. They were standing at the entrance to a giant pool- it must've been some sort of interactive zone for the students- looking in through a doorway that had been utterly demolished by something too large to properly fit through the wooden frame.

There were no other entrances, save the one they were standing in, and no holes to signify a forced exit. The waters of the pool were rippling wildly, as if something had recently disturbed their rest. Marcus swallowed and slowly withdrew a two foot rod- a Magic Rod- that was practically his only means of self defense. "What now?" He hadn't meant it, but his voice was lowered to a hushed whisper.
  7. Squishy

The rippling water casted strange shapes and shadows on their faces. Clarence shuddered slightly. Sloshing water had never sounded so ominous.

"I don't know..." He whispered back, as if talking out loud would disturb the creature hiding in the pool.

He stared at the water, trying to peer into the dark depths, but to no avail. Two small flames were not by far enough to illuminate the pool. Marcus had drawn a Magic Rod, which could aid them in combat should it come to that, and it almost definitely would, Clarence feared.

They somehow had to get the creature out of the water. In it, it would have too much of an advantage on the two Hylians, plus it would be nearly impossible to spot at the bottom of the pool, leaving open a chance for a surprise attack.

"I think... I think I may have an idea." He looked at Marcus, still not daring to raise his voice.

"I could try to lift part of the water, hopefully enough to get a good look at what's in it, that would leave you with a chance to attack. It's not much, but it's probably all we can do right now. What do you think?"
  8. Quill

Marcus pointed his Magic Rod at the water. "Go ahead," he said. "I'm ready." He channeled his magic into the crystal at the rod's tip and waited. Soon the headmaster would lift the water with some kind of magic, and he would fire a blast at the creature's head. Hopefully that would be enough to stun it so they could capture it safely.
  9. Squishy

Clarence nodded, rolled back his sleeves and concentrated on the water.

The water in the pool started shifting, and slowly but surely a large blob rose from it, lowering the rest of the water. But it wasn't enough. If he could only focus enough and gather the willpower to lift more...

He had been training for so long to expand his ability to control and move water, but for some reason he hadn't been able to expand the amount of water he could move. At the time he blamed it on stress caused by his new job and the start of the new school year, but even after settling in it proved most difficult. Clarence gritted his teeth, thinking back to his training and trying to recall how he felt then.

'Come on... I can do this.'

He took a deep breath, willed with all his mind to lift more water, and raised his hands.

And the water moved.

Clarence stared at the floating blob of liquid in surprise before quickly regaining his wits and concentration, lest he drop it back into the pool. He glanced to the side, to Marcus, all while slowly raising the water.

"As soon as you see something, attack!"
  10. Quill

Marcus nodded and concentrated. There! Something was scittering across the floor of the pool, heading directly towards them. Its shell was enormous, but Marcus could see the tip of a fleshy head amidst all the hard multicolored armor. He let the power pooled in the crystal burst from its confines, sending the magic rippling towards it. The Magic Rod's burst slammed into the Cryak's head, and it reeled back, stunned. "What now?"
  11. Squishy

Clarence's mind drew a blank at the question. For a moment he just stood on the edge of the pool, the water still floating above his head. To be honest, he had not expected the plan to work. He needed to come up with something quick, now the Crayk was stunned.

He moved the water over his head and behind him, dropping it in the hallway from which they came. At least the creature wouldn't be able to hide in that anymore. He would worry about cleaning the hallway later. Then he readied his hands for the next spell, a small bolt forming in his hand.

"I hope this works!"

He moved his hand forward with a throwing motion, unleashing a bright bolt of light at the Crayk. Unfortunately, the creature had just regained his wits, and threw the bolt back with a slam of its claw. Clarence could duck to the ground just in time, else the bolt would've hit him in the head. Instead it flew right over him, crashed into the wall and send a few bits of stone and woodchips flying.

They were going to need another plan.
  12. Quill

"Wait," Marcus said, holding up a hand and glancing rapidly between the monster at the bottom of the pool and his superior, "wait, I think-"

The Crayk clicked its claw and began shuffling towards them slowly. It's bright eyes glared menacingly at the two mages, its bright emerald eyes glaring menacingly up at them from the now-dry floor. His blood was pumping from the power of the elemental spell the Headmaster had used to toss an entire pool's worth of water into the hallway; when this was all said and done, he'd have to ask how to do that.

"Do that again," Marcus said, the words stumbling out in a rush of adrenaline and stress, "I can reflect it back!" Blue crystals were already trailing his hand as he stepped closer to the Headmaster, his body jittering wih anticipation and unused energy. The Cryak was eyeing them like a lion eyes its prey, and Marcus felt his heart pound painfully against his ribs. His fingers trembled, but he narrowed his eyes and concentrated, waiting.
  13. Squishy

"A-alright." Clarence said, trying his hardest to keep his composure and not panic. He sincerely hoped Marcus' plan would work, else the academy might have to search for a new headmaster and nurse.

He took a deep breath to steady himself, keeping his eyes on the Crayk, who was still shuffling closer. If they could somehow hit it in the head again... It had already worked once and hitting it again would probably do even more damage, it might perhaps even knock it out if they were very lucky.

"Okay, here it comes!"

Clarence summoned another bolt, flinging it at the Crayk, who reflected it with a swing of its huge claw.

"It's up to you now, Marcus!"
  14. Quill

The bolt came flying towards them, winging its way through the air toward its caster's head. The large crustacean was already clicking its way towards them, not bothering to watch and wait to see what happened. Marcus' hand swung through the air, blue crystals shimmering into being in his fingers' wake, the magic solidifying momentarily between the two faculty members and the deflected magic.

The bolt slammed into the barrier and immediately reflected back towards the Cryak. Already injured and caught unawares by the suddenness of the attack, the beast didn't manage to lift its claw in time. Because it had been clicking forward in those couple seconds, the reflected magic smashed into its head, leaving it stunned.
  15. Squishy

Suddenly Clarence was hit with an idea. The first blow of his arcane bolt had managed to wedge loose some chips of the stone wall.

He looked at the ceiling right above the stunned Crayk. It was made out of large rocks held together with mortar, but it was old, and perhaps not as sturdy as it once should have been... The last blow had gotten the Crayk good, it was not likely to move anytime soon. If any moment was a good one to strike, it was now.

Clarence moved over to Marcus, pointing at the ceiling.

"Listen, if we could both hit that huge rock at the same time, we could make it come down on the Crayk's head. It's a shame to waste such a specimen, but I don't see a lot of other possibilities anymore... I figure we could best use that magic rod of yours again and I'll cast another arcane bolt." He managed a small, nervous smile. "Any thoughts?"
  16. Quill

Marcus nodded, pointed his Magic Rod at the ceiling, and fired. A blast of arcane energy erupted from the mage beside him, and their two attacks blurred into one mass of power that slammed into the rock so hard that part of it was blasted into dust. The rest was disconnected completely from the rest of the ceiling, and it fell with an almighty *crack!* on the disoriented creature's head.

Immediately, the Crayk slumped to the ground. Whether it was dead or not, Marcus couldn't tell. He had absolutely no knowledge of its physiology, so his Healing magic wouldn't be of any use, and he wasn't willing to waste any potions or seeds on the thing, even if he had some on him.

He pointed his Magic Rod at the Crayk's head. "I can watch it, Headmaster, if you want to call someone from Magical Creatures."
  17. Squishy

A soft gasp of surprise escaped Clarence's lips when the rock tumbled down onto the unfortunate creature. He watched it for a moment to make sure it didn't move again, and then nodded.

"Right. I'll be right back." He muttered, before dashing out of the room.

He ran back the way from which they came, listening intently for any suspicious sounds behind him. But it stayed quiet, it seemed they really had defeated the Crayk.

Clarence arrived at the office of the Kokiri teacher, out of breath and looking slightly panicked from the whole ordeal. At first the teacher simply stared at him, waiting with a raised eyebrow for the headmaster to finish stammering to him what had happened in the aquarium.

"Hm. Well, let's get it out of there then, before it wakes up. ...If ever wakes up again. You have no idea how hard it will be to get another specimen like that."

The Kokiri got up from his desk, gave his fairy some orders and walked over to the door before turning around to face Clarence.

"I've send word to the janitor to help collect the creature. Are you coming, headmaster? I think it is best not to keep the young man waiting."
  18. Quill

Marcus held his watchful position for a few minutes, staring intently at the beast below with his Magic Rod raised. At first, his eyes were glued to the Crayk, and he didn't so much as dare to scratch his head.

As the minutes ticked on, though, the Healer training to become an Alchemist gradually dropped his guard. First, he broke eye contact, shuffling around and glancing around the room. Then, as the Crayk remained completely motionless at the bottom of the emptied pool, its body slightly buried under fallen rock and stone, he lowered his weapon.

Eventually, he began to practice the spell the Headmaster had taught him. After a few tries, he was able to summon the small spark of flame with a snap of his fingers, He nodded, smiling at his success, and turned at the sound of rapidly approaching footsteps.

"Headmaster," he said, banishing the flame with a thought, "it hasn't moved since you left."
  19. Squishy

Clarence was relieved to hear that the monster hadn't moved anymore. The Kokiri teacher hopped down into the pool, walking over to the creature to examine it and nodded to Marcus.

"That's good. There should be someone to help move it soon. I think you two are about done here?" He said, eyeing the nurse and headmaster.

Clarence turned to Marcus.

"Yes, I think we've caused enough damage for the day? I think we can leave it to the experts now and head back."