The Fetid Fountain - Dungeon-Style Quest

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Beefish, May 8, 2016.

1. Beefish

Beefish DODONGO DISLIKES SMOKE. new

I designed a dungeon about a year ago specifically for Zelda RP. I had about ten people rampaging around in there but they didn't actually beat it in the end. It's not a particularly hard quest, but I'm interested to see how you guys might RP inside. Also this site is a lot more active, so I'm sure you'll be able to beat it no problem.

The Fetid Fountain is a decrepit Fairy Fountain, neglected and full of filth. They say it used to be a grand fountain with more life and joy than any other, now it attracts only decay and monsters. What happened? Can life be restored to the corrupted fountain? It's up to you guys now.

This will be a quest in the style of a dungeon, so I won't have a character - instead I'll act as the Dungeon Master. I'm sure you're aware but for those that aren't, the DM controls the monsters, traps, and puzzles during the quest, while you guys bring your characters. You can solve the quest together, or play competitively to solve it on your own.

The quest comes with an updatable map which will always be accessible from the original post, finding the compass and the dungeon map will affect this map too!

I'll be accepting characters here, last time I tried this quest on another site we found that it's a lot less confusing if you only bring one character to the quest.

I hope you lot find this interesting and join :happy:

Players so far:

Sinistrari - Faust
    Blonde Panther - Ni'Ran
    Squishy -Leskar
    Magnere - Areyal
    Cataphractoi - Tessa
    Nicholas Muller - Nicholas
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  2. Sinistrari

Sinistrari Devious Grins & Hunter of Synonyms reg

Oooooooooh~ sounds interesting! But is it a massive must for the character you put forward to be...combat efficient? I'm seriously debating putting my Faust forwards but he's mainly just a developing support/healer type.
  3. Sinistrari

Or I can stop being indecisive about my WIP character app and actually get it finished :lol: (This one a lot more combat involved)
  4. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    That actually sounds great! I've got a couple of characters I can offer up for this:
    • Arifa, my Great Fairy. She's a Supportive Mage, but mostly she'd fit really well background-wise. If Sini wants to use Faust, though, I have plenty of combat capable characters.
    • Autumn, my specialized archer. Her swordplay isn't that fantastic, but she's one of my oldest characters and written to be near-peerless at range. She also has a little bit of Wind magic in case that's needed. Like I said, she's one of my oldest characters and can serve as the party's powerhouse, should we need one.
    • Ni'Ran, my Rito swordsman. Another one of my oldest characters, so like Autumn, if we need a powerhouse to carry the party combat-wise Ni'Ran can fit that bill. He's a dedicated swordsman, so he doesn't really have a whole bunch of ranged options, and he doesn't know any real magic.
    • Triton, my Zora wizard. He's got a lot less experience than Ni'Ran or Autumn, but with W5 and Magic Proficiency, he's got a LOT of cheap, versatile spells covering a bunch of elements and ranges. He even has Rejuvenation and a couple of Red Potions, so he could act as backup healer if that should prove necessary. Moreso though, if anyone on my roster other than Arifa knows anything about Fairy Fountains and ways to restore them to life, it would be Triton. Side note though; he's REALLY fragile, so he's definitely not an option as a meleeist.
    There are others, like my enchantress Laurel or my thief Yasmin, but I think one of these would fit best. Let me know what you think, Sini/anyone else who'd like in!

On a more technical note: Paging Dr. Guy and/or Nurses Cloud, Willow, and Squish. Can we do this? DMing is a thing on this site, but it officially only applies to Classic Dungeons, right? I don't THINK it should be a problem, since the principle is the same and Quest Rewards and Dungeon Rewards have just been made equal, but I thought it prudent to check before we get overly excited.
  5. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Yeah this is fine! And I'd be stoked to join :D

I can basically fill any slot in a party, depending on who the rest is using c:
  6. Beefish

There's a mix of puzzles and monsters, if he would rather sit out of fights and just take on the puzzles then go for it :happy:

Any of those characters sound fine - the Great Fairy character might be particularly interesting! As long as there are one or two combat characters the party should be okay.

I made sure to ask Guy and Squishy before I posted this thread and they gave me the okay :happy:

Glad you're with us :lol: I'll start making a list of characters in the OP when people have sorted out who they're going with.
  7. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Squish and I actually discussed it and we had an idea: Sini can use Faust, Squish can use Leskar, and I can... still be torn between Ni'Ran and Autumn. If we can get another combat-oriented character I might use Arifa, but as it stands I'll probably go with one of those two.
  8. Magnere

Magnere Momentai vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-6426-3927
    Ooh. I would love to do this, if you guys dont mind adding another player into the mix. Ill write a brief summary of characters when i get home. Writing a lot on a tiny phone with big hands is a nightmare.
  9. Cataphractoi

Cataphractoi Nanase is rebooting reg

3DS Friend Code:
    3368-2140-7105
    I can throw Tessa in. She doesn't have tons of treasures but she's a veteran swordswoman.
  10. Beefish

Lemme know when you've picked a character, I'll stick you on the list :happy:

Sounds good! I'll add you to the list :n_n:
  11. Sinistrari

Awesome! I'll definitely use Faust then! I'm looking forward to seeing all this kick off :happy:
  12. Magnere

Magnere Momentai vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-6426-3927
    Now that I am in stable wifi zone, time to type out stuff. Out of my more combat oriented characters, lets see...

Kalvar Darhun is my Hylian archer. With Motionless Invisibility, and Straight Shooting, stealth is his game, and his arrows are extremely deadly. Granted, he is in all my current running threads, literally all of them. But he is my first character, so he's excused. His swordplay is rather shoddy however, so don't expect much melee fighting from him. He doesn't like accepting help, but is willing to do so if needed. Of course, he rarely admits when he needs help however.

Drake is my Rito Swordsman. Using a combination of Dark Blade, Summon Ammunition for his throwing axes, and a Shield Ring, he literally creates his weapons from thin air. Skilled with the blade, he's trained with it almost his entire life. However, he does have a massive hero complex, which is less cause for issues, and more cause for a lot of internal monologuing.

Areyal is my Zora wizard. While she specializes in ice magic, that is not the only thing she plans to learn. With her twisted abilities to cast a Cold Fire Bolt from her hand, as well as a Holy Bolt, she's rather unique. She's not heavily combat focused, but her spells can come in handy. However she is extremely spoiled, used to getting whatever she wants.

Hmm... a hylian archer, rito swordsman, and a zora wizard... sounds like familiar, doesnt it?

And finally, Marina Davell is my Cursed Hylian fish lady witch hunter. Extremely combat oriented, however, mages are not something she works well with, even when needed. It will almost always be a shaky alliance, as her distrust of magic users runs deep.

Any one of these would be pretty good in my opinion, I mean... unless we want Gorlok my yeti bard for kicks and giggles. or Korina the kokiri loftwing rider. Because we need more children dying to explore everything, and almost die all the time. I would suggest Opal... but she's very, very controlling. not so much for teamwork at all. Ever.
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  13. Beefish

So far we have five players, including you. Three of them have decided characters, we have two combat-orientated characters and a more non-combative character. Blonde Panther is deciding between two combat characters. So it's really up to you, you could beef the team up even more with an extra combat-character, or go for a support class, or just throw in a fun character. This is more about just having fun than adhering to a strict RPG party system after all :lol: it won't really affect the RP too much as long as we have some fighters.

After everybody has picked their characters I'll go ahead and post the thread!
  14. Magnere

Magnere Momentai vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-6426-3927
    I think I'll use Areyal. During this quest, I can get her more offensive ice treasures to make her a rather impressive sight on the field. Either like, Eyebeam: Ice Beams, or Wall of Hazards: Blue Fire, or something like that. Either way... rereading Areyals profile makes me want to completely rewrite her... everything. Its so bad. Shall we just start listing what rewards we want as well?
  15. Gizmo95

Gizmo95 That one nice but occasionally creepy guy. new

I hope no one minds but I'd like to join in on the fun here. There is no rule against being in multiple RPs are there? If not then count Nicholas in. He isn't too combat oriented yet since he is new but he is handy with his bow and can provide some relief with the one ability he does have.
  16. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I'll go with Ni'Ran. The mission's intriguing enough that he'd investigate the situation.
  17. Beefish

Oh yeah that's a good point. You guys can find them in chests in the dungeon! I've got to admit I'm not sure how to determine how many rupees people get at the end of a quest - I know it's 40 + 10 per character used, but I think I've seen people get bonus rupees somehow...?

Anyway, lemme know what treasures you guys want to gain and if you want to find them in the dungeon or after the quest.

Hiya! Sure I'll throw him onto the list :happy:

Alright, adding your character to the list now. I think that's everybody.

I'm off to work now - so if there are more players when I come back I'll probably add them too. If not then I'll just go ahead and post the thread if that's alright with everybody?
  18. Magnere

Magnere Momentai vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-6426-3927
    Certain treasures allow you to gain more rupees per quest, such as Nose for Treasure. The Rupee field will have all the treasures that give extra rupees. Most notably, a Profession and Crafting will give more Rupees. You can only get bonus rupees from Profession and one other source in a thread.

For example, if I were to run with Marina instead, she would get 57 rupees. 50+5 from profession +2 from crafting. That bonus number can easily grow to huge proportions, with a high profession, and really high crafting levels. At profession 10, which is max level for that treasure, you will get +50 rupees, for every single thread. Granted you can not spend them in said thread, but you can save them up.

Anyways, here is my reward.

EDIT: 4/1/2017
    Blue Fire (-10 rupees), Will-o-Wisp (-10 rupees), Rejuvenation + Quick Augment (-20 rupees) a Kinstone (-2 rupees) and 8 rupees.

Didn't exactly want the specialty anymore, but I still wanted a cold flame for will o wisp. Blue fire worked perfectly. If I make any more changes, I'll list them here.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  19. Sinistrari

For Faust...after looking at my wishlist google doc of treasures I'd say it'd go something like:

23r (current savings) +40 (reward base) +10 (one character) = 73r
    Slow (-30r)
    Benevolent Grounds (-40r)
    = 3r
    +20r (profession bonus)
    FINAL TOTAL = 23r and two treasures!

I'm not really sure how he'd collect these from a chest though since they're both spells. I suppose he could learn Slow from some ancient scroll or something but I'd prefer if Faust earns the Benevolent Grounds one through...training from a stray fairy and some added urgent willpower (literal not magical) or something all the cheese. But the end of the day I suppose it doesn't really matter how!

On a related note I have two questions that go out to everyone here:
    1. How would we actually decide to share the loot IC without people squabbling over it or the whole thing becoming too complicated?
    2. Have all our characters been hired? Are some just good guys trying to do a bit of cleaning? It'd just help me write if we had some background right from the start.
  20. Magnere

Magnere Momentai vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-6426-3927
    Im assuming we will get the backstory as we start, as thats the DM's job.

However, sharing the loot is just kind of done however you want really. Someone could just toss stuff they didn't want at you, or in the case of my character, if any Ice spells are found, it's more than likely to be given to the Ice Wizard™. Or, your character could take it without anyone else looking. There are many ways to just take the treasure, and I've never known it to be an issue.