Shadowcasting

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Cataphractoi, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Cataphractoi

Cataphractoi Nanase is rebooting reg

3DS Friend Code:
    3368-2140-7105
    Shadowcasting is a utility spell which may be used to augment another spell.

To use Shadowcasting, the caster must first designate an offensive spell. This may be done mentally or vocally. When Shadowcasting is used, that spell is activated alongside it, and serves to mask the spell. Any offensive spell used alongside Shadowcasting is nearly invisible, appearing about as translucent as black ice on a road. The spell will remain in this state for the duration of its existence, but as it is an illusion, the spell may be seen using a Lens of Truth or similar item.

There are no time restrictions on Shadowcasting beyond those of the attached spell, but some spells cannot be used with Shadowcasting. Spells such as Blizzard, which has no physical form, or light-field spells, whose attribute is the opposite of shadow, cannot be masked. Shadowcasting does not mask the auditory component of spells.

Augment
    Muffled Casting
    The user may gain the Muffled Casting augment simultaneously with the original treasure for an additional cost, or as a separate treasure at a later time.

This augment adds a second layer of illusion magic over offensive spells used by the user, hiding any sounds the spell makes. Muffled spells can be heard by beings with exceptional hearing, but are unaffected by items like the Lens of Truth, as there is no visual component involved in masking sound.
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I'm... concerned about this, if only because it can affect every offensive spell. A spell like Spire, for instance, is already incredibly powerful, and is only significantly balanced due to the fact there's a visual cue to which the target can react. Similarly, Guided Bolt, which can change its trajectory mid-flight, becomes practically unavoidable if the target can't see it or hear well enough to deflect it. That's not even counting other spells that exist, or more that could be created in the future.

If Shadowcasting only affected a specific list of spells (in the same way that Magic Power or Cane of Mago do), that would be different. Give me that list, and I'll happily reconsider.

However, if Muffled Casting was made its own treasure, I think it would be alright. There aren't any offensive spells which would become overpowered if they lost the audible component, yet it would still be useful--as it would make using certain explosive spells much more viable for stealth attacks. So, I'll add Muffled Casting as its own treasure, if that's alright with you?
  3. Cataphractoi

3DS Friend Code:
    3368-2140-7105
    What if it only affected ballistic spells? IE ones which, when fired, are then out of your hands, and only ones which fire projectiles. Like basic Ice and Fire.
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I suppose, but... at the point the criteria is, "only affects projectile spells you can't control after they leave your hands," it might as well just be a list of spells like Ice and Fire.
  5. Cataphractoi

3DS Friend Code:
    3368-2140-7105
    Okay, so that narrowed it too far.

How about, specifically...Aqua Grenade, Dark Blade, Din's Burst, Eyebeam, Fire, Ice, Ice Shot, Magic Bolt, Magic Dart, Shadow Ball, Stone Squall, Thrice, and Wind? That drops all major treasure spells, Guided Bolt, melee spells, and AoE spells, but it's still a decent sized list.