Setting up the new RP: Setting

Discussion in 'Fire Emblem' started by Blonde Panther, Oct 7, 2016.

?

Which setting would you like to see us use (descriptions in first post)?

Poll closed Nov 22, 2016.
  1. Akaneia

10.0%
  2. Barensia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Jugdral

10.0%
  4. Elibe

60.0%
  5. Magvel

70.0%
  6. Tellius

40.0%
  7. Ylisse

40.0%
  8. Whatever the continent in Fates is called

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other (Please elaborate below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Chosen setting: Magvel
    Associated Main Characters: Ephraim and Eirika.
    Associated Games: FE8.
    Once terrorized by the Demon King and its armies of monsters, Magvel was saved by the heroes who founded its current kingdoms. It relies on the holy power of the Sacred Stones to keep evil at bay.

So, one of the first steps in setting up this new Fire Emblem-based RP is the following: Which setting should we RP in? Below, I'll make a short overview of the settings available to us, as well as a quick link to their pages on the Fire Emblem Wiki so you can read up in more detail should you want to.

Please note that we would by no means be limited to using the settings as they are in-game. It's entirely possible to take one of these settings and adapt it to have our RP take place so many years before or after the events of the associated games. For the same reason, the associated main characters do not at all have to be relevant- those are only listed for the sake of recognition.

I am, however, entirely unfamiliar with Barensia and Jugdral, so if anyone else on this forum has sufficient knowledge of those, I would be grateful if they could fill those in a little.

Akaneia
    Associated Main Character: Marth.
    Associated Games: FE1/11, FE3/12.
    The first and most often revisited continent in the series, Akaneia is a land torn apart by the recurring conflict between the Earth Dragon Medeus and the descendants of the hero Anri. The Divine Dragon Naga is worshipped as a god by most humans.

Barensia
    Associated Main Characters: Alm and Celica.
    Associated Games: FE2.
    I haven't played FE2 and know absolutely nothing about Barensia. Please refer to the wiki link.

Jugdral
    Associated Main Characters: Sigurd, Seliph, and Leif.
    Associated Games: FE4 and FE5.
    I haven't played FE4 and 5, so I know little to nothing about Jugdral. Refer to the wiki link or to Darth_Slaverus.

Elibe
    Associated Main Characters: Roy, Eliwood, Hector, and Lyn.
    Associated Games: FE6 and FE7.
    In the distant past, Elibe was a land where humans and dragons lived in peace. However, humans started a war known as the Scouring to exterminate dragons, with roughly 90% success. Centuries later, conflict -and dragons- return to the continent.

Magvel
    Associated Main Characters: Ephraim and Eirika.
    Associated Games: FE8.
    Once terrorized by the Demon King and its armies of monsters, Magvel was saved by the heroes who founded its current kingdoms. It relies on the holy power of the Sacred Stones to keep evil at bay.

Tellius
    Associated Main Characters: Ike and Micaiah.
    Associated Games: FE9 and FE10.
    A continent inhabited by the shape-shifting Laguz, the 'normal' Beorc, and the taboo hybrid of the two known as the Branded. Conflict between these three groups rises frequently.

Ylisse
    Associated Main Characters: Chrom and Robin.
    Associated Games: FE13.
    A land where the tensions between the followers of the Divine Dragon Naga and those of the Fell Dragon Grima decide much of the continental politics. Actually Akaneia, 2000 years after Marth's time.

Fates: Nohr and Hoshido
    Associated Main Character: Corrin.
    Associated Games: FE14.
    A poorly-developed continent housing two countries that are each other's polar opposite. While Hoshido is fertile and bright, Nohr is barren and dark. This leads to tension and outright conflict between the two.

A custom setting IS an option. However, as I have stated in the past, I am horrendous at worldbuilding. As such, should you wish to suggest a custom setting, be prepared to show effort for it. Present a basic geography and background for it.

This thread is open for suggestions in terms of timeframe (before/during/after the games) and setting itself.

You can cast your vote for multiple settings in the poll. In the event of a tie, any arguments and suggestions delivered will be considered and collected for a tiebreaker in a different thread.
  2. Knight_of_G

Knight_of_G Member reg

Would prefer Tellius, but Elibe or Magi Val/Magvel work just as well.
  3. Darth_Slaverus

Darth_Slaverus Member vet

I haven't actually voted yet, because I'd like to see some more opinions and viewpoints before casting my ballot, but I'll toss my ten cents in as food for thought.

For starters, I think we can rule out Barensia, and probably Jugdral/Akaneia. FE2 is easily the most obscure game in the series, and I don't think there are enough people invested in Barensia to make it work at all. Akaneia's nations aren't fleshed-out enough to work as-is, in my opinion, and while I love Jugdral as a setting, there are certain elements that make it ill-suited for a forum RP (Holy Blood comes to mind).

I like Elibe a lot and its nations are very developed, but I also feel like it would be an unambitious choice. It's what FEP is doing now, and I think it's a hard to find a "time" to set an Elibe RP. Not my first choice, definitely.

Magvel isn't as developed as Elibe, but it has less nations (which is a good thing with a small playerbase), has readily available monsters/manaketes, and would be somewhat unique- I haven't seen a Magvel RP in my travels across the web before. I think this is a fairly strong choice.

Tellius, in my mind, is a poor choice for this new RP. Not because the content is bad- far from it, there are tons of options we could go with- but because there's simply too much of it. There is an overabundance of nations due to the presence of Laguz. As some of us from FEP might remember, Radiance Lost was a highly active RP in its heyday, with tons of RPers, and it *still* struggled to make the Laguz nations relevant. The only way I could see this working well is if it was set in Tellius' distant past, before many of the current nations came to be.

Despite the possible stigma associated with Ylisse, I actually think rebooting it as a setting is an option worth considering. It has the fewest nations, which makes it easier to manage, and there are certain setting elements that could be interesting to explore- the proposed idea for second-gen characters always struck my fancy, and I'm sad it never saw the light of day. An RP set during the second-gen itself could also be a fun idea.

Fates is another intriguing choice; while it's immensely underdeveloped as a setting, I feel like we have enough material to make things work, and the small number of nations would make it easier to manage. There's a lot of potential for customization due to the distinction between Nohrian and Hoshidan classes.

That's all I have to say for now, but I welcome any rebuttals/comments/criticisms.
  4. Knight_of_G

Knight_of_G Member reg

Actually, now that I think on it, wasn't the precursor setting to the Ylisse RP set in Magvel, before Formortiis arrived and became Demon King? Whatever happened to that? That was an awesome idea.

I'm less-inclined to Ylisse and Fates settings, because, due to budget constraints, I don't have a 3DS, and haven't played either Awakening or Fates. So in those settings, I am far out of my depth. That's why I voted as I did.
  5. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

As Darth pointed out, I don't think I've ever seen a Magvel RP! Elibe and Magvel are the settings I know the most, and I thought a Tellius setting would have been interesting, too. I didn't really think about the scale of Tellius, and I do feel like with our potential numbers, the majority of the continent would go widely untouched.

I voted Magvel, but wouldn't mind Elibe, Tellius or Ylisse! Plus, I'm a people pleaser so I would go along with whatever the majority wanted :P
  6. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

I voted either Ylisse, Tellius, Magvel or Elibe, but I think Ylisse or Tellius'd really have my preference. Ylisse could work wonderfully with an overhaul of what we had, especially in the way of plot progression (maybe short events work better than entire threads?). Or perhaps we can start in the second-gen as Darth suggested? People'd miss their old characters (I know I would haha), but it might work nicely and tie in to basically 'rebirthing' the RP.

Tellius might be quite a big continent, but I don't think it matters much, if we just make it possible for characters to get around, instead of the plegia/ylisse division we had in Ylisse. I know it was logical in-setting, but it was often a little hard when one continent was more active than the other, or getting characters together for an RP.

I'm fine with any setting really as long as we'll have manaketes hahaha
  7. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    A heads up: Those of you who want to RP in this board but have yet to vote for a setting, please do so before the end of this week! This Friday, I will close this thread and either decide on or start considering arguments for the setting!

Note that this will most likely be in the afternoon of my Friday, and I am in GMT +1!
  8. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    I voted for Elibe/Magvel as well as Ylisse. I (mostly) want Magvel to win, because why not.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  9. [v]

[v] Member new

Sorry for my late voting, but it seemed like I was to choose between Elibe & Magvel, which I chose Magvel as I already had Elibe RPs before, as well as the one in FEP. Plus, Magvel already have stuff like monsters as well as summoning (and summoner class), sounds like the direction we're heading toward.

I also voted Jugdral just because my own preference, but I think this thing would fit only if we go with the small RP idea where everyone's character is a wielder of the legendary weapons. If you never play this before I totally suggest to go for it, this one is the reason I'm a fan of Fire Emblem till today. Though I never got to clear Thracia 776. The last vote went to Ylisse, as I originally joined RP here because of it.

It's okay if the vote is already closed, just want to express my thoughts.
  10. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Okay so NaNo happened and then it was a month later than I initially planned to close this thread. Welp.

That being said, the poll is closed and we have a clear winner.

Looks like the setting for the new Fire Emblem RP will be Magvel.
    Lightascetic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.