Race: Vire (Inky Concept)

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Electronic Ink, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Electronic Ink

Electronic Ink local zora vet

Having noticed difficulty mentioned in creating Vires as a race, and after Cataphractoi and I had a conversation, I have done up a quick little concept for Vires as a race. I've referred to all their in-game appearances, even the little one in the CD-i games (hiss, spit), so I hope it's okay! No pressure to use it or anything, I just wanted to take a crack at it.

RACE: VIRE

A Vire (plural Vires) is a rather stout, bipedal creature characterised by a spade-topped tail, large bat-like wings and four eyes, usually yellow in hue.

CHARACTER CREATION BRIEF

Vires are a fairly reclusive race, found most often living in man-made structures with little traffic through them, such as abandoned houses or, more commonly, temples.
    A Vire begins with a P/W/C of 2/1/1, having a 2 in Power. This can be defied by using the Exception racial perk during creation.

A Vire has an innate racial perk, Foreign Language. In addition to this, a Vire character can have up to three additional racial perks of choice. Aside from the universal perks available to every race, a Vire can also choose from:
    -Winged Flight: a perk enabling a Vire to fly. It is uncommon for a Vire not to have this trait; akin to a Hylian not being able to speak any languages.
    -Nightvision: a trait that allows the Vire to see clearly in darkness.
    -Fire: an offensive spell that throws a fiery projectile.
    -Magic Bolt: an offensive spell that throws an electrifying projectile.
    -Summon Keese: a basic summoning spell that can be used to summon Keese.
    -Kinetic Split: a high-risk technique enabling a Vire to harness the energy of a blow to split themselves into two Keese-like creatures. This perk takes up two "slots".

RECOMMENDED ORIGINS
    If you have never made a Vire character before, these examples may provide inspiration for your character.

-Reclusive Scourge
    Having found the perfect home inside a dark temple or cave, you spend your days attempting to ward off any and all travellers who come your way by besieging them with hordes of Keese. It is a lonely lifestyle, but that has never really bothered you anyway. Your only companions are your Keese.
    A Reclusive Scourge begins with a PWC of 2/1/1. Its racial perks include Foreign Language, Winged Flight, Summon Keese and Nightvision.

-Guardian of Treasures
    You stumbled upon some kind of treasure at some stage in your life and have made your home nearby. Despite the fact that you are unable to use this treasure, you consider it your duty to stop anyone else getting their hands on it. You weather countless attacks on you and yours as other races hear about your treasure and challenge you for the right to own it; you have yet to see the day any of these challengers emerge victorious.
    A Guardian of Treasures begins with a PWC of 2/1/1. Its racial perks include Foreign Language, Kinetic Split and Winged Flight.

-Wandering Beast
    Disenchanted by the darkness and cruel nature of your race, you wander the world in hope that you may change the view held of your race and thus find kinship in the world around you. Despite being regarded almost universally as a monster, you try your hardest to stand out from the rest as a shining beacon.
    A Wandering Beast begins with a PWC of 2/1/1. Its racial perks include Foreign Language, Winged Flight, Magic Bolt and Nightvision.

-Monster Village Dweller
    Having abandoned the dependant life your race leads inside Hylian structures, you surround yourself with fellow 'monsters' in Monster Village. Having found kinship with the beasts in this village, you are always ready to co-operate with them and you are eager to prove just how strong you are.
    A Monster Village Dweller begins with a PWC of 2/1/1. Its racial perks include Foreign Language, Magic Bolt, Fire and Winged Flight.

PHYSIOLOGY
    While not vital information, the following includes further detail on the race's appearance and biology.
    Vires are a two-gender race, but the differences are extremely subtle and difficult to notice. Male Vires tend to lean towards bolder coloration, but this is not definitive. Most Vires have little concept of seasons and reproduce year-around, birthing live young. Females often do not pursue reproduction, and it is often the males approaching them. Males each have their own time when they feel they should seek out a mate, and this time is almost the same every year. It is uncommon for many Vire to share this time of fertility.

A Vire is considered mature the moment they are capable of flight; it follows that Vire who cannot fly are permanently regarded as children or infirm. Vires mate many times throughout the year and as such it is unheard of for Vire young to recognise a sire. Young Vire stay with their dam, clinging with sharp claws to their stomach, for a period of roughly three months, until they learn to fly. Often, if a young Vire hasn't voluntarily detached itself from its mother after about six months, the dam will deliberately scrape it off her and let it fall. If it opens its wings and flies back to her, she considers it adult and stops it from clinging to her again. If it doesn't...well, often flightless Vire die when their dam scrapes them free and drops them. Those who survive are doomed to a life on the ground, unrecognised by their flighted kin.
    Vire live to between 40-50 years, although some rare individuals may make it to 60.

An adult Vire reaches heights of between two to three feet, with wingspans of up to five feet. Males tend to have larger wings than females, and lean towards bold blues and reds in coloration. Female Vires vary from rust-brown to dull blue, although some have been found with brighter colours. Uncommon for both genders, some Vires may be found with dark green flesh and wings verging on violet; it is unknown what causes this colour variation, but it is perhaps also the cause of these uncommon Vires being thin and skeletal rather than the round, stout shape that most Vires display.

Vires are equipped with lipped mouths and frighteningly sharp teeth, suitable for the carnivores they are. If a Vire's Keese and/or magical efforts fail, the Vire will often savagely bite their attacker. Some Vire have the ability to harness kinetic energy- by this, they use a last-ditch effort called Kinetic Splitting. Allowing a blow to land, they use the energy dispersed to split themselves into two significantly weaker but faster creatures resembling large Keese. It is extremely difficult to re-form from using this tactic, and it may take hours for a Vire to regain their proper shape. This technique is extremely risky, as too strong a blow will immediately kill them, offering no chance to split themselves and escape.

Vire are not as intelligent as Hylians, but this race is gifted with sharp senses in return. Often, these Vires can hear something coming from a great distance and prepare accordingly.

CULTURE AND HISTORY
    While not vital information, the following includes further detail on the race's origins, development, and society.
    The origins of the Vires have not been researched, and Vires typically couldn't care less. The few who do often attribute their creation to a creature they call Gomess, although no evidence has shown that 'Gomess', if they exist, truly did create the Vire race. Interestingly, Vire depictions of Gomess show a feminine shape, implying that despite Vire society being extremely patriarchal they do respect a female patron.
    Vire are a fairly barbaric race, and they live in a constant state of anarchism. Leaderless, males often fight each other for the rights to any females they may stumble across. Females are often given no choice in the matter, which offends several, although some males are respectful enough to at least allow the female to voice her opinion on possible suitors. Marriage is non-existent between Vires, although a male may return to the same female several years in a row.

They often live in either caves or unpopulated Hylian structures, usually temples. Ganon's army contained Vires, who were valued for their Keese-summoning abilities rather than their strength. They were considered more a deterrent than a real threat.

Hylians and other 'civilised' races often disregard Vires as dumb mutts and have no issue slaying them. Vires greatly dislike these races in return for the way they treat both Vires and Keese. Vires see Keese in similar ways as Hylians might see dogs. They are mildly stupid pets useful for a point-and-attack method of defence. Keese are often used as a status symbol- the more Keese you have answering you, the more respectable you are. Vires don't understand how other races dispose of Keese so easily and readily. While a Vire may not care if a Keese lays down its life protecting them, they very much do care if Keese are slaughtered for no reason.
  2. Cataphractoi

Cataphractoi Nanase is rebooting reg

3DS Friend Code:
    3368-2140-7105
    I'm not sure how I feel about a race so dependent on rape to survive. I know they're supposed to be a monster race, and I know the new history establishes the Gerudo on using exactly that to survive for a certain amount of time, but the Vire seem to have come into existence with exactly that prerogative in mind, and that seems to me a step too far. : /
  3. Electronic Ink

O.O Whoa okay. It was meant to be closer to 'arranged marriages' than rape. Is that how it reads? I should probably fix that. What I meant it to be is something like 'The females kinda don't care about who they end up mated with. The males pick a female and if two males pick the same one at the same time, they duke it out and the winner gets her. Her opinion does matter but sometimes it's ignored for the sake of testosterone and bits-measuring between the blokes.' Not rape, per se. Much closer to arranged marriage. If she's screeching her face off telling them to rack off, most would probably be like 'Riiiiight lets go find another girl who isn't so opposed'.
  4. Cataphractoi

Cataphractoi Nanase is rebooting reg

3DS Friend Code:
    3368-2140-7105
    lol yeah it does not read that way right now
  5. Electronic Ink

It's definitely not rape. I'm dark minded but not so dark to make an entire race dependant on rape.