Prison Break

Discussion in 'Halidom of Ylisse' started by Ultra5, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    Players:
    -Lord Jacob Temple, Level 13 Lord [Ultra5]
    -Lady Beatrix Karina, Level 1 Lord [UnnamedDude]
    -Lord Gilbert Raleigh, Level 10 Lord [Squishy]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jacob rotates his shoulder getting used to his repaired armor. Although repaired the armor is not as strong as it was especially in the repaired parts, but it holds together well. "I'll get a new set o' armor back at Temple Keep. An' a new cape." Looking over his shoulder Jacob actually misses his cape a bit before he pops his neck. "Armor check...Mjolnir. Come 'ere." Jacob's hammer sits propped against the wall head down. The head was remade from steel and it was apparently blessed by Naga herself or so Jacob was told. The faint green glow of the Divine Dragon glows on each side of the black colored steel head, so Jacob accepted that as truth. Retrieving his hammer the Armor lord exits his room in Castle Ylisse and heads to the door of Lady Beatrix's room. A few powerful knocks sound before Jacob yells. "'Ey Lady Beatrix. Time ta get goin'." Without another word Jacob walks to the courtyard where he sees a Temple General waiting.

The General salutes his armor, shield and axe clanging together. "Lord Temple. Commander Leslie sent me here. Lieutenant Jeptha of the Third Temple Armor Platoon. The rest are already at Bannister sir."

Jacob returns the salute. "We're waitin' on Lady Karina then we'll be headin' out."

"Sir."
  2. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Beatrix Karina, despite her uneasiness, looked solemn in the mirror. She sighed as she watched her chest, and her armor, rise and fall slowly and steadily. It was always like that. Always she had to rein in her panic, her fear, her anger and joy and everything else, until finally all that remained on the surface was a veneer of iron stoicism, of pride and calculated decisiveness. Leaders had no time for worry. They simply acted, and the world responded in kind. She thought she knew that.

Now she realized she did not.

It was the first time she had donned this armor for practical use, or hefted a spear for piercing more than a training dummy. She was about to cross a threshold that she would never come back from.

And she was about to do something that she would be dooming countless men to do if the mission to reclaim the Exalt failed. She was frightened, yes. But it had to be done, and she could show no weakness in the face of it.

She took a deep breath and exited the room, approaching Lord Temple.
  3. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Gilbert read the letter again, carefully.

'Lord Raleigh,

We are deeply sorry about the tragedy that befell your Lord and father...

The letter had been delivered the night before by a Pegasus knight from the capital, who had arrived in a flurry of feathers, waking up the entire keep. The words had cut deep when Gilbert first read them, the loss of his father was still fresh on his mind.

'He will be remembered as a great and courageous man, a warrior to the core.'

It had been a letter from the Exalt's brother. As soon as Gilbert and his sister had made it back to Raleigh keep a messenger had been send to the capital to tell of the tragedy that had befallen their house. Not too much later, a reply had come, along with orders for the new Lord Raleigh.

'The war, however, is still a most pressing matter. With our esteemed Exalt in the hands of Plegia and the creatures that took away the late Lord Raleigh threatening to overrun all of Ylisse, we need every man and woman to defend the Halidom.'

The Risen.

The very thought of the creatures still rattled Gilbert. He could still see the writhing hands grabbing at his feet, at his weapons, at his father, pulling him into their midst until he disappeared. Night after night he had woken up in cold sweat, ragged breathing and cursing at himself. A lord should not be afraid, he had told himself time and time again. A lord had to be strong and an example to his people.

'You are to travel to Fort Bannister, in Temple, where you will join Lord Temple and Lady Karina. There are reports of the Risen gathering around the fort and we need you to investigate, and, if possible, vanquish them.'

Lord Temple had been an old friend of his father, and Gilbert had seen him at various occasions, though he had not seen the man in quite a while now. Lady Karina's name also vaguely rang a bell, though he could not exactly remember her face or what sort of person she was, only that she was still very young. But he would meet them soon enough.

Gilbert put the letter away in his armour and walked out of his chambers, into the hallway, where he found his sister, Elisa, and their retainer, Mireille waiting. At times it was as if he shared a mind with his twin sister. Though her face did not reveal much, Gilbert could sense her fear and unease.

"So you're off, then?" She asked plainly.

"It's a lord's duty to protect the realm. I have no choice." He tried to keep any emotion from his voice, but Gilbert could not hide the slight tremble with which he said the words. He let out an uneasy laugh, trying to lighten the mood.

"Look after mother for me, will you? And give Rosie a scratch behind the ears."
  4. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    "Alright. So that's tha situation so fa-Lady Karina. Sorry ta be so sudden 'bout this, but we gotta get goin'. Tha Lieutenant will fill ya in as we travel yeah?" Jacob scratches his chin before hefting his hammer over his shoulder and ordering the march. The march through the House Ylisse and House Temple lands to Bannister were quiet and hot. Leaving Ylisstol at mid day the sun hung low as Fort Bannister came into view. The prison fort that was the main prison for criminals in Temple. Heavily guarded and built long before Jacob was even a thought. Yet now the fort stands silent and seemingly empty.

"Somethin' ain't right 'ere. Lieutenant I thought you said tha rest o' yer platoon were 'ere?" Jacob inspects the camp that was set up at the main entrance of the prison fort. The tents stand completely empty. No troops, weapons, armor, bedding or anything. Jacob gets an extremely unsettling feeling at the complete silence around him. "Alright. I'm givin' youns a choice. Tha camp's pretty much set up. All it needs is...where tha hell are ma fuckin' troops?!"

The Temple General physically jumps as Jacob yells in anger. "I don't know sir. Captain Jameson isn't one to leave a camp like this." Walking slowly and looking around the General inspects the camp further along with the entrance of the fort. "I don...sir! The door to the fort was blockaded closed when I left for the capital!" Jacob turns readying his hammer and the General readies his shield and axe. "No movement sir, but it wasn't open before I left."

"If it'll close I want it closed. We're supposed ta have a bit o' back up from what I was told. I think I hear tha wings now."
  5. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Beatrix frowned. What on earth was all this supposed to mean? There was nothing in the camp. No equipment. No soldiers. No mounts. But it was still obvious from the ground and the tents that something was there before. The current emptiness was thus all the more unsettling.

The fort was silent and stoic as she stared it down. It offered her no explanation, no recompense. It loomed as powerful and unforgiving as ever it had been when it sheltered criminals of the past. But there was an intense atmosphere of perverseness.

"Whoever it is, I hope they're battle-ready," the young lady uttered off-hand. She turned to see the source of the wingbeats drifting to the ground, a figure riding upon it that she could not make out for the sun.
  6. Squishy

The feeling of the wind blowing against his face and through his hair had always been a comforting sensation to Gilbert. But now, after what had happened, it made him anxious. Sitting behind Mireille on her wyvern gave him too much time to think, too much time to recall the grisly ambush again.

"Are you alright, Milord?" Mireille asked.

"I would be lying if I said I was." Gilbert replied forlornly.

He looked down at the land passing underneath them. The only good thing about the flight to the fort was that there was no one around to see his downtrodden and exhausted face, and it gave him the time to compose himself before appearing for the others.

His retainer did not respond, instead she gently patted his arm, before grabbing hold of the reins again and starting their descent when the fort came into view. Mireille steered Shelagh towards the structure, landing her in the clearing right in front of it, where two tiny figures were standing. At that moment Gilbert wondered if the other nobles had already recieved the message of his father's passing, if they knew that Isambard Raleigh would not be the one to back them up anymore. He would know soon enough.

After taking a deep breath to steady himself, Gilbert slipped off the wyvern, and stepped out from behind it, while raking a hand through his white hair.

"Lord Temple, Lady Karina."
  7. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    Jacob smirks seeing the familiar shape of a House Raleigh Wyvern. A bit of confusion crosses the old lord's face seeing the rider on her beast was Mireille, the retainer of the son and daughter of Jacob's friend and fellow lord Isambard. "Ho there Mireille. I wasn't expectin' ya ta be joinin' us. I mean no offense o' course. Yer Wyvern's one o' tha tougher ones, but a Wyvern ain't gonna do shi..." Jacob's confused expression deepens as he sees Gilbert walk out from behind the Wyvern. "Ambrosius? Where's yer father? I don't think this is a good mission fer ya." Jacob's armor clangs a bit as the lord walks over to Gilbert and his retainer.

While Lord Temple talks to the new arrivals the General inspects the entry way to Fort Bannister. "Where have you gone Captain...huh?" A shadow moves along the back wall of the entrance room where only dim light from outside reaches in. Readying his axe and taking a deep breath the General takes a few steps into the darkness. "Captain? Sergeant? Anyone?" The faint sound of scraping armor is all that responds to him. "I got a bad feeling about this..." A flash of light off metal is the only signal of a throwing axe heading straight for the General.
  8. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    "Milord," she said simply as a young man she vaguely recognized as the eldest son of Lord Isambard. "I must agree. Where is your father? Has something happened?" she inquired. She had little doubt as to his ability, but she vastly preferred to have experience on her side... especially if it turned out that Lord Temple had something up his heavily-armored sleeve.

The thought of having two still-green Lords gathered in a place rumored to shelter a small force of Risen was making her antsy, almost as much as the unsettling quiet. At least if something would happen, she could see the problem with her own eyes. The mind was a much worse tormenter than any other.
  9. Squishy

Gilbert flashed a joyless smile when he heard the older Lord address him by his (much hated) middle name. Normally he would have quipped back with a witty retort, but he found himself unable to do anything of the sort. Behind him, Mireille had dropped of her Wyvern and bowed to the other Lord and Lady.

The other two knew nothing of what had happened. The white-haired Lord swallowed, not sure if he could trust his voice to sound steady.

"I... bring news. Of my father." Gilbert took a deep breath, swallowing the lump that threatened to form in his throat and forced himself to speak. His voice sounded distant and emotionless, almost alien to himself.

"Lord Isambard is dead."
  10. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    Jacob stops dead in his tracks. "Isam...bard...d-dead? Wha...how?" The armor lord shakes his head. "Ma apologies Gilbert. That was extremely disrespectful ta say. So Lord Gilbert I take it?" A smile returns to Jacob's face although sadness at the loss of his friend shows in the lord's eyes. Setting a hand on the young lord's shoulder Jacob lightly shakes him. "What're ya armed wit son? Yer gonna need a trusty weapon. Ya know tha situation so far?"

The General notices the axe just in time. A loud clang sounds as the armored trooper tries to smash his shield into the axe diverting it's path. Missing its intended target the axe still skimmed the general's forehead giving it enough of a slash to cause the soldier to spin a bit before falling over resulting in a loud crash.

"What tha sam hell?!" Quicker than near anyone had ever seen the old lord move Jacob turns towards the general hammer at the ready. Dropping his hammer the lord rushes toward the General. "Gimmie some help 'ere!"
  11. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Beatrix's mouth formed a thin, grim line. Well. She had certainly expected something, but life had a way of throwing the most unexpected and often worst possible events at them all, didn't it? Of course, that meant he, like her, had lost his father. That was a pain she could share, though rarely would she admit it.

"I... see. For what it is worth, Lord Raleigh, you have my condolences." She truly meant those words, but she had no way of knowing if it showed. At times it was difficult to separate her governing persona from her private one, and this was one of those times. At any rate, however, it seemed ill-advised to prod further. Still, she gave him a long look to let him know of her sincerity.

And then came the crash. First the blasted war effort, then the dead rising from their graves, then more deaths among the lords and finally this. When it rained, she thought bitterly, it poured. She darted over shortly after Lord Temple, and readied her weapon. She cursed the half-light, glaring at the darkness as if to drive it away. "How is he?" she asked, never once ceasing her vigil.
  12. Squishy

Gilbert steeled himself, keeping his face an emotionless mask. Sincere as they were in their condolences, it was clear the other two nobles thought him still green and weak. Perhaps, weak he was, as he was still recovering from the wounds he had sustained in the ambush. The ambush that had killed his father...

He shook his head, taking a deep breath to calm himself down. Fortunately for him- in a rather wry way- the general provived distraction from his current thoughts and the attention of the other people present. Gilbert quickly took his glaive from the wyvern's saddle, passing it from hand to hand as he made his way over to the wounded man, hovering at the back of the group that had gathered.

It seemed they had been dropped right into the fray.
  13. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Jacob quickly applied a salve to the wounds that the armored knight had taken and dragged him out of the danger zone. Beatrix and Gilbert, for their part, dutifully eyed the fort's interior, and before long they had gotten him out of harm's way without further incident.

"We should split up," Beatrix suggested. Jacob frowned. He looked ready say something, but...
    "If the Risen have taken the fort already, your sister and whatever men you have stationed here are in danger. It would be more efficient to have us--the less experienced two--take one direction, and you the other." The next words she was about to say came out of her throat like razors. "We would slow you down." But now was not the time to indulge their petty pride. Lives were at stake, here.

Jacob already knew that. So, worried though he was, he embarked before the other two Lords. Beatrix turned to her other fellow.

"So... shall we?" She took hold of her glaive in one hand and gestured forward with the other.
  14. Squishy

Gilbert nearly opened his mouth to protest. Sending two, as much as his pride did not want to admit it, novice fighters off on their own sounded near suicidal. And although the white-haired Lord was nowhere near happy with his life, he could not and would not throw it away. He had a realm, followers and a family to lead and support.

He watched Jacob take off, trying to ignore his heart thumping in his throat. Then he looked at Beatrix, trying to gauge her feelings. There was little else to do for them but to head inside. And face whatever was waiting there.

Gilbert nodded. He started walking, forcing himself to move. Mireille followed, axe in hand.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.