Pokemon: Adventures of the Nouvello Region

Discussion in 'Sandbox Role Plays' started by Lightascetic, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

The northern cape of the Nouvello Region; an expansive land mass with a long and prosperous history where people and Pokemon co-existed in harmony, was shrouded in thick, rich woodland. Once merely a rocky outcrop that stared blankly out at the endless seas, both races collaborated in order to create a thriving habitat that both could mutually enjoy. The natural beauty, coupled with the separation from the civilised part of the region, made the Kelpwood Forest a popular place for veteran trainers to hone their skills and keep them sharp.

All it took was two dedicated friends to construct the foundations of what became the prestigious Alakazam Academy: a boarding school for promising young trainers. Instead of embarking on their Pokemon adventure at the ripe age of eleven (the tradition was becoming much less popular with the entire populace), parents sent their children to the academy. Graduation ensured that the child would gain the skills and experience to begin a successful and safe adventure with their Pokemon partners. The academy was also popular with families who had a history of trainers, breeders and co-ordinators.

"Name me three Pokemon that learn Absorb."

"Uhh... Oddish, Roselia and, uhh... Erm... Hoppip?"

"No, incorrect. Come on Luke, how are you going to cope on your exam if your pool of knowledge is so small?"

Mr Yardley was keeping himself incredibly calm, Lola thought. It was the day before their Academy Challenge: the later years' exam which saw the students venture out across the region to collect special stamps from major cities and towns in the region. Lola wasn't in the highest year, but high achievers from the year below were also eligible for the exam. Mr Yardley's class consisted of a select few of her classmates, and a collection of students from across the higher year.

"Lola; can you name me three non-Psychic Pokemon that learn Confusion?" Mr Yardley turned in his desk chair towards her.

"Butterfree, Hoothoot and Venonat." Lola replied clearly and quickly.

"Excellent, thank you." Mr Yardley said, relieved. She wasn't about to admit that she'd fortunately read up about those Pokemon the night before during her revision, however. Clearly Luke wasn't one for revision, Lola told herself as she felt his resentful eyes burrowing into the side of her head.

"Okay. William; could you tell me of a Pokemon except Magikarp that knows Splash?" He turned his gaze to the young man sitting across the room from Lola, in the same row. She turned to look at him casually.
  2. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    William Trafari closed his eyes and riffled through his memory. He knew a few... though that was more due to Splash's apparent uselessness rather than anything else.

"Other than Magikarp, Azurill, Feebas, Spoink, and Wailmer may all learn Splash over their lifetime," he said clearly. He was fairly certain there were others, but he hadn't memorized all of them. If he recalled correctly, though, baby pokemon were especially apt to have the move...

But even as he said this he could feel the familiar sensation of a good amount of eyes settling on him. Ever the overachiever, and ever distant. He knew that a melange of feelings were directed at him right now; some were impressed. Others, envious. And others still simply hated him outright for taking such an ostentatious route as opposed to simply answering to the bare minimum of the question asked. But he ignored them as best as he could.

Mr. Yardley smiled slightly. "Correct. Though in the future, a single answer as I have asked will suffice."

"Yes, sir," said William quietly as he sat back down. He had no idea if this was what he was supposed to do or not...
  3. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

Lola, like her teacher, smiled slightly. It was nice to know that she wasn't the only one who actually studied. It was often the case that a lot of the students here focused most of their attention on battle techniques. They failed to see the importance of most other information, or failed to care. She wouldn't have liked to have been a teacher here.

"Okay class. I'm going to put you out of your misery and end your last session with me this year." Mr Yardley raised his hands at the students that went to bolt out of their seats, their bags dangling around their necks like collars around a canine. "But, before you go, I'll announce your pairs for the exam. You've seen it enough times to know, but you can leave whenever you please after the gong is struck tomorrow morning. Make sure you're packed!"

With that, Mr. Yardley produced a ream of paper from his blazer pocket. Lola watched him attentively as he decided the fate of her classmates. She hadn't really considered who she'd like to be paired with. One of her female friends would have been nice, although they seemed to prefer pairing a male with a female. Slowly, as her friends were partnered with other people, Lola became more curious; was she going to be paired with a complete stranger? Even though they shared this class, the older and younger years tended not to mingle too much.

"Lola Melmane, and William Trafari..." Mr Yardley didn't pause and continued reading, but Lola shut her ears off at that point. William... She hadn't spoken to him at all. Granted, she knew he was knowledgeable about the Splash move, but that was as far as it went. The next time she heard Mr Yardley speak, he had dismissed the class.

"Best of luck to you all, and most of all, enjoy yourselves!"

Lola collected her things as the class came alive around her. At least half of the class bounded for the door. Several of the students moved over to their new partners, making awkward conversation or chatting happily about the fortune of being paired with a friend. Lola's friends came to her table.

"Paired with a guy, huh Lola?" Terri purred, her hand on her hip.

"Are you going to be okay? I don't think I could do that!" Heather looked Lola in the eyes, generally concerned.

"Of course she will; he can carry all of the supplies for her. She's got it made!" Leanne said, patting Lola on the back.

"Isn't he the son of a famous trainer or something?" Erin asked, glancing over at him. Lola was considering introducing herself, but between her friends, she probably looked incredibly intimidating. With a slight blush on her face, she merely shouldered her bag.

"Let's go... I'm hungry." She said plainly, a concealing smile hiding her embarassment. "Goodbye Mr Yardley." Lola waved at her teacher, who saluted her in return. Some of the girls took a last look at William before they followed her out of the classroom.
  4. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    William had very little commentary to offer on the pairings; after all, he had very little connection to almost any of the students here. He was vaguely familiar with some of the names and faces... but the "Lola" with which he had been paired escaped him. He supposed that, paradoxically, that was a good thing... at least it meant he wasn't dealing with someone like the three who were walking to him now.

Their leader, a boy William had learned was named Lee, stood above him. He had a spiked pompadour and a cruel look in his eyes. "So, you got paired with Lola, did you?" He asked. His friends snickered. William wondered idly whether they really had nothing better to do or not, and said nothing.

"Yeah, you do that. Think it makes you look cool? I know you think you're hot stuff for your family, but here all you've got is... you." Lee sneered. "So... what made you come here, knowing that?"

"...Knowing that, did," William said flatly. "I didn't want to be treated any differently for my family or whatever else."

Lee didn't seem convinced. Nor did he seem to even be listening. "Ooh, cool kid! Well, you just watch your step. One day you're gonna screw up like everyone does, and when that day comes..." he pointed to him threateningly, then the three walked away.

William sighed. The ball on his belt shook a bit. "It's all right, Grace," he said quietly. He stood up to get ready...
  5. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

After dumping her bag in her dormitory room, Lola met back up with the girls before heading to the cafeteria. The food court was extremely large, with more seats than students. After collecting their lunch of -gourmet- hamburgers, steamed vegetables and fries, they sat down at their usual table. Of course, it wasn't long before talk of the exam began.

"I can't believe Leanne and me got paired together," Terri squeaked. "This exam is going to be awesome!" Lola couldn't comment: she was quite jealous of her two friends, and she could bet she wasn't the only one. "Who did you get paired with again?" She asked, turning to Erin with a mouthful of hamburger.

"Luke..." She said, carrying on quickly before any of the girls could butt in; "At least he's cute, right?"

"Kind of... But he's got a head as thick as a Geodude." Leanne said, sipping gently on her drink. Erin remained quiet after that, busying herself with salting her fries, way too much.

"Whereas Heather here got paired with Lucy, heiress extraordinaire. You'll be having a comfy trip!" Terri laughed, barely keeping her food in her mouth.

"Excessive travel is forbidden, remember?" Heather retorted, holding her untouched burger. This caused Terri to quickly move on to Lola.

"Then there's Lola!" At the lack of response from her, Terri re-approached. "How're you feeling about it?" She was a loud-mouth, but she had a caring side, too.

"I... I don't know." She answered honestly, her food spread around her plate, also untouched. "He seems nice enough."

"His Mum, Leila, is practically a legendary trainer, isn't she? I think my cousin has a poster of her." Erin said, finding her voice again. Lola was disturbed by a nudge from Leanne, followed by a tilt of her head. Following her hint inconspicuously, she noticed William sitting a few tables away, alone.

"He's a really good trainer. He scored two 97s in last year's battle exams." Heather said. She'd always been one for figures and statistics. Lola stared at him for a few moments, then was suddenly on her feet.

"Please, don't say anything. Please?" Lola said, catching Terri with a lungful of air, waiting to be turned into a banterous wail. carefully, she drew back her chair and made her way across the room, quietly occupying the seat opposite. Her heart was already racing, and her cheeks were flushed. Perhaps she shouldn't have sat-

"Hi." She blurted out. That was as far as she got before his eyes were on her and she lost any words she had prepared to shyness.
  6. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    William blinked. This was certainly a new one. The girl... did not seem hostile. If anything she looked as though she'd just seen a ghost.

"Hello," he said simply. "Would you like to sit here?"

Of course, this was rather a silly question; it was evident that she did given that she had already sit down. But he was uncertain of how to proceed from this juncture. Hmm... this girl... she was the one that Mr. Yardley had called on shortly before, wasn't she? Lola... then this was his partner? She seemed reliable enough... though...

"Are you all right?" he asked. She didn't seem to have herself entirely composed.
  7. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

So he was nice! Well, polite, Lola reminded herself. It wasn't prudent to decide on someone's personality from a few seconds in their presence. Shaking her head lightly to try and free up her thoughts, Lola remembered how to use her tongue.

"Sorry, yes. I just thought I'd talk to you before tomorrow... Break the ice... Hehe." She couldn't hold back the awkward laugh, and practically felt Terri's eyes rolling across the room. "Listen... I don't care what they say about you, William. I'm... glad we've been paired together; you seem... decent? Argh, I'm just going to be quiet now. Sorry, enjoy the rest of your lunch!" She plastered on another one of her well-practised, nerve concealing smiles and removed herself from William's table.

"Smooth, Lola." Terri smirked, knocking her friend lightly on the shoulder.

"I told you not to say anything!" She hissed, her flush coming out fully on her face now.
  8. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    "What they... say?" William asked quietly, also noting that she hesitated before finally settling on the word decent. How... flattering. If that was one of the nicer students here--and from the looks of it she was--then he shuddered to think what the others thought of him. He sighed slightly and pushed around some greens on his tray. What to do... He was unsuited to work with others.

Absentminded, he finished his lunch and went back to his room to organize himself. He had some extra poké balls, a few potions, and some amount of money from what he received from his parents. It wasn't much, but he'd just have to get by on his own out there. And the only way he felt comfortable doing that was to be strong...

He set his things in his bag and shook his head. Everything would be fine... right? It had to be.

He made sure it would be ready in the morning, then left. For the rest of today... he'd be running himself through battle sims and the training grounds. Those were perhaps the only things that made him feel at ease.
  9. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

Despite her nerves, Lola had slept very well. She also also managed to avoid joining the girls for an all-night chit chat, instead opting to leave her friends at midnight. After a prompt start, Lola double-checked that all of her valuables were locked away, and her necessities were in her Trainer Bag. After briefly looking over her appearance in the mirror, everything was set. As she slid her card key through the groove in the door to lock it, she quickly ran her fingers over her belt, relieved to find Clefairy's Pokeball still in place. Lola looked back longingly at her room once more before making for the Academy's entrance hall.

"Okay everyone, get your Pokemon out and find your partner!"

The room suddenly burst into motion. Lola looked around for William, soon locating his iconic black hair. She went to tap him on the shoulder, but refrained. Instead, she stood by idly, waiting to be noticed. She released Clefairy; just one of many white flashes that zipped through the room.

"Are you ready?" Lola said, aiming the question at William.

"Fairy!" Clefairy hopped excitedly at Lola's feet until she opened her arms. The exam group, consisting of about forty trainers, all clustered together, facing the Academy photographer. Each year, the students were photographed before their exam as an entire class. In the second row, Lola and William were pushed awkwardly together, their arms rubbing. There was significantly less room than normal, thanks to Terri's Onix. Lola pulled her best smile for the photo, which was over in a flash of light, much like a Pokemon being released from its ball.

"Clefairy, fairy." Jumping lightly from Lola's arms, Clefairy greeted Grace warmly.

"Well, that's a relief." Lola smiled at William. Surely if their Pokemon could get along, they could.
  10. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    William... tried... to smile for the camera. That is, he made a face that could technically be counted as a smile, while still failing to convey anything that a smile stood for. So instead of being comforting it instead came out awkward and somewhat terrifying.

Grace, though, seemed to be much more at home in the crowd. William wondered whether that had anything to do with all the excitement in the air... after all, the little Ralts thrived on positive emotion. Since all their journeys were about to start, it was only natural for the tiny pokémon to feel energized. He smiled more genuinely looking at his partner. It was good to have a grand send-off like this.

"Yes," he agreed distantly. The two seemed to be getting along swimmingly. That, he supposed, would make it easier.
  11. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

It was an exciting time, and there were worse people she could have been paired with. She looked across the room, finding Erin standing next to Luke. She never admitted it, but out of all of her female friends, Erin was probably the best, closely followed by Heather. Of course, Terri and Leanne were great friends too, but they also functioned as a dynamic duo when left to their own devices. She said Luke was cute, but she was quite the catch herself. Shoulder-length brown hair, an angelic face, starlight-blue eyes and a petite frame. And her adorable Minun just completed her look, Lola thought. Luke turned to leave, so Erin followed. Lola waved as she went through the Academy's double doors, wondering when she'd next see her friend.

"I suppose we should begin, then." Lola said, popping Clefairy back into her ball. "Shall we?"

Lola walked out of the double doors, shielding her eyes from the sudden change in brightness. Partners were scattered down the long, gravel path that led to the iron gates of the Academy grounds. Her body was full of adrenaline as she took the first stride down the steps. There was no going back, now. Lola turned to William as they walked down the path.

"Do you have any thoughts on how best to complete the sticker case? Six months is ample time, really. Are we going to attempt first place?" She asked. She wasn't sure, but he still seemed oddly distant.
  12. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    After gently recalling his Ralts, William closed his eyes and thought. What would be the best move...

"Let's make the most of this... Abundan Town is pretty nearby here, just a short walk southeast. It's a fairly active port town, and even though it's not actually on our necessary itinerary, maps of the region are cheap there and we can get a feel for the biggest attractions and cities. Worst comes to worst, we can at least plan out a good route there." He did not mention that the pokemon there were mainly nonthreatening, though that also played a small part.

His intentions were not entirely as he said they were; secretly, he also wanted to take things slowly in the hopes of truly accomplishing something. He wanted to return to the Academy with something to be proud of; it would not be enough to simply complete this test, and being the fastest proved very little; no, he wanted to be strong. ...He had to be. He had to be celebrated.
  13. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

"Excellent." Lola said as they neared the imposing iron gates. The two trainers didn't break their stride as they passed over the threshold, but she felt a rush of emotion. This first step was the beginning of an adventure that she knew would change her life forever. With Clefairy at her side, Lola was sure she was ready to face anything.

As the pair reached the end of the plain and faced the outskirts of Kelpwood Forest, a voice called out to William, alarmingly close. Lola turned to see Lee, striding towards them confidently. She wasn't particularly focused on him once she noticed the boy walking by his side.

Blonde, tousled hair, faint emerald eyes, and skin that was sun-touched. Heat rushed to Lola's cheeks as he caught her gaze.

"You didn't think you were getting away without a battle, did you Willie?" Lee smirked, casually tossing a pokeball in his hand. "Step back, Lola. You can watch me pound him into the ground." He flashed an arrogant grin at her, which shattered her boy-centric reverie. She tried not to judge people, but Lee had always seen like a bit of a bully.

"I think this would be a good opportunity to try out a double battle, actually." The blonde haired boy said. His voice was deep and distracting. "Lola, was it? Do you fancy that? I'm Leon."

"Uh... Um, sure!" She stammered. "We'll face each other as teams." She re-affirmed, letting William know she would assist him. It was quite clear that Lee had something against her partner.
  14. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    "Lee, we don't have to do this. I don't want to--"

"What? You don't want to get floored in front of your girlfriend, don't want her to see who's the better one here?"

William reddened for a brief moment. "I... none of that is true."

Lee sneered. "Right. And I'm Unova League Champion. Come on, then! Show me what that pedigree is for!"

William had no more time to protest before the larger boy released a Houndour. Leon, to the side, sighed quietly. "So hasty... Though, I'm looking forward to this, too." His own smile was less savage than Lee's, but no softer. In these two William saw two drastically different things; in one, the thrill of a battle, the exhilaration of a new challenge to surmount. In the other, the sadistic glee of tormenting him. William had to wonder what he'd done to warrant such exceptional hatred. He was certain he'd done no wrong to anyone at the Academy... at least, not intentionally. He could possibly have wounded people's pride, but that had never been his aim.

But enough musing was enough. Leon threw his own pokeball and in a flash of light allowed his Machop to come out. William, in turn, let Grace out of her ball. What a truly odd battle this would be. Two fairies standing against a superpower pokemon and a dark pokemon. He didn't really like this... Houndour nullified Grace's psychic-type moves, and Lee seemed unwilling to simply let him go unmolested. He'd have to try something else.
  15. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

"Don't take me lightly, though!" Lola shouted. Pulling a Pokeball from her belt in a delicate motion, she threw her head back and her arm high up into the air before balancing on one slight leg. With a curl of her fingers, she threw the ball forward while leaning into the throw, causing Clefairy to burst forth in another flash of white light. Placing both legs on the ground, Lola was sure her Battle Etiquette teacher would have been very impressed with her execution.

"Ladies first." Leon said, holding his hand out in a polite gesture. Machop copied his trainer, even down to his charming smile. Before she had time to think, Lee had already barked his order.

"Cerberus, Fire Fang, go!" He roared. At his command, the dark hound lunged straight for Grace, his fangs glowing with a searing fire. Lola turned around quickly.

"Clefairy, stop him with Pound!" She cried.

"Fairy!" Sensing the urgency, Clefairy put a spring into her step by hopping twice in quick succession. Then she jumped forwards, meeting Cerberus several feet before where Grace was standing. She brought her arm down in a harsh slap, landing a well-timed hit to her target's side. Cerberus had no choice but to recoil from the blow, turning into the impact and landing nearby in order to shake off the blow, which also dimmed his flame-engulfed fangs. The hound snarled fiercely at Clefairy for the interruption while she bravely stared him down.

Lola gave William a quick glance: of course he knew it made strategical sense for them to swap targets, but whether Lee and Leon would let that happen was another story.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  16. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    William grimaced. Why...? Why did Lee hold such animosity for him? He could tell right from the start, wordlessly, that he could not reasonably be expected to advance as long as he and his Houndour held any strength at all.

The gates of the underworld, huh...

Leon decided to take the initiative himself, albeit with some grumbling about his partner's impatience. "Good grief... Let's go, Karate Chop!" The little Superpower Pokemon gave a battle cry and lunged towards Clefairy with a ferocious blow.

"I'll get to you as soon as I can," he said quietly. One way or another they'd have to finish on this half of the battlefield before he could even think of getting involved with Leon.

"Hmph! Like I'll let you!" Lee bellowed. "Go! Bite!"

If he wanted to get the most time out of this, he'd have to use the element of surprise here. He'd wait until Cerberus was just in front of Grace, then...

The Houndour stepped in, committing itself to the attack. That momentum made it the perfect moment. Now!

In that moment their breathing was as one. "Fairy Wind!" Grace almost didn't need the command, responding with a pink flash and a blast of wind. Cerberus yelped in pain, stumbling by the suddenness of the attack. It wasn't enough, though. It would still be able to get up once more... and Lee looked, if anything, even more enraged.
  17. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

Lola was shocked at Lee's ignorance of her. She had just intercepted his attack, yet he was still hell-bent on attacking William and Grace. Not only did that affect their chance of winning, but his sheer animosity was disconcerting. Leon's order caught her attention, but left her with less time to react. As Machop closed the gap between himself and Clefairy, Lola already knew there was no time for her Pokemon to dodge of mount a counter-attack.

"Clefairy, Charm!" Lola called, alerting Clefairy to her attacker. With a wiggle of her tail and a shimmy of her body, Clefairy exuded a faint pink wave of affection, complete with an adorable smile. Machop's jaw dropped and his body relaxed, but the attack continued nonetheless. The chop struck Clefairy square on the head, causing her to squeal as she stumbled backwards. Lola hated seeing her partner suffer, but she knew she had lessened the severity of the attack.

"Not bad, Lola." Leon remarked, genuinely implying a compliment. She didn't respond, but blushed slightly.

Machop shook his head thoroughly, trying to dismiss the effect of Clefairy's attack while she recovered from the chop. Lola was certain she couldn't beat Leon with brute strength alone... Fortunately, Clefairy seemed ready to go before her opponent. Yes: she was sure she couldn't win alone, yet...

"Clefairy, use Wish on Grace." Lola said, more quietly than commanding while pointing in William's direction. With a nod, though hesitant to turn away from Machop, Clefairy waved her short arms in the air and raised her head to the skies. She saw the magical glint in her Pokemon's eyes that meant the move had been a success, but no other visual evidence of Wish had emerged.

"Let's get her back, Machop. Leer!" Leona ordered. She could tell he was more considerate than Lee, but in battle his commands were just as passionate. Machop narrowed his gaze, staring intensely at Clefairy as she turned back from Grace. Caught in the Leer, Clefairy quivered, shielding her face with her arms. Lola could only pray she would recover soon.