PF(Novice) Thread - Burnt Offerings

Discussion in 'Sandbox Role Plays' started by Chi, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Chi

Chi Pre-everything insanity girl reg

Players:

Razgriz
    Squishy
    Magnere
    Ultra5
    Lich

Characters:
    Tara Lumria played by Magnere
    Sylisa played by Raz
    Jacob Temple played by Ultra 5
    Rael Windsinger played by Squishy
    Vass Ischsa played by Lich

Burnt Offerings - "The Town of Sandpoint needs you"
    Show Spoiler

The coastal town of Sandpoint has faced few trials and dangers over the course of its
    forty-two year history, but unfortunately, that is all about to change. Unknown to the
    town’s founders, they chose to build their community over the ruins of an ancient
    stronghold once used as laboratory and prison, a place where horrifi c experiments and
    unholy explorations into what divides man from monster took place. These are the
    Catacombs of Wrath, one of several such sites used by Runelord Alaznist’s apprentices
    during Thassilon’s height, a place where arcanists explored and perfected the stolen arts
    of lifeshaping and fleshwarping. When Thassilon fell, these catacombs went dormant,
    but the one buried under Sandpoint was not fated to stay that way.
    A classic
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

The edge of anarchy looks pretty good, and very game of thrones-ish, so I vote for that one.

I'll be using Syl for this one too.
  3. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Hmmm....

Burnt Offerings
    Edge of Anarchy
    Snows of Summer
    Howl of the Carrion King
    Bastards of Erebus

I'll probs re-use Rael, though I might make some tweaks to him. He'll definitely stay a bard, if that matters c:
  4. Magnere

Magnere Momentai vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-6426-3927
    I'll edit in my character sheet when it is done.

Burnt Offerings
    Edge of Anarchy
    Snows of Summer
    Howl of the Carrion King
    Bastards of Erebus
  5. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    I'm gonna be original here and say...

Burnt Offerings
    Edge of Anarchy
    Snows of Summer
    Howl of the Carrion King
    Bastards of Erebus

:haa: I'll be using Jacob again
  6. Razgriz

...Did everyone just copy Squish? I still say Edge of Anarchy looks the best, but I'm pretty up for anything adn lost the vote hard-core so I won't complain. Good to see almost the same party as last time (minus the crazy, homicidal, bomb lobbing, team fragging gnome of course; plus someone who probably isn't).
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  7. Squishy

Well Edge of Anarchy sounded neat, but compared to Burnt Offerings it's a little vague on what we're going to do in it? Are we supposed to claim the throne or kill people on it?

Maybe a little more explanatn, if that doesn't give away too much :p
  8. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    I just really liked Burnt Offerings and the rest kinda didn't spark my interest as much. :tpr:
  9. Chi

Okay, we will be running Burnt Offerings and its subsequent adventures, but first I need to lay down the background information on the setting and hand out the player's guide.... but uuuh i can't through the site, so I kinda need to send it through an email.
  10. Chi

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Whatever your reasons may be, you all enter the town of sandpoint on the back of a small wagon, you all having gotten acquainted to some small degree on the ride, early in the morning with the bright rising of the sun. As you enter the town over a small rickety bridge with loud clacks are you do so, you look around and notice the collection of presumably houses on your left and right across to your right a brewery(39), with a man dressed like a knight leaving from the building and continuing down the road, the building you pass by next seeming to be a stable(38), but the strange sign above the door, which shows a goblin being crushed beneath the hooves of a horse is vivid for such a place.

Right next to that is a large establishment(37) with a statue atop it larger than a person. Looking at the statue, you can notice that it was probably made of iron, but it has rusted with age. A few people seem to be leaving the building, a few with bags under their eyes, others laughing up a storm, but they seem to be going somewhere, going down the road and hooking a right.

At the end of the road you see a small humble wooden building(36), with a stall sticking out towards the wide open area before you(35). From the stall hangs a selection of meats of all sorts, from ham to poultry. You guess that this open area is probably a marketplace whenever people come, with signs of a few incomplete stalls, but no one to man them.

Everyone seems to be heading north this morning, as you watch a few people come from the houses south of you come your way and pass you by, a young kid looking at the oddball collection of people with wide eyes, tilting his head, before following behind his parents with a wide grin.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  11. Magnere

Magnere Momentai vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-6426-3927
    Tara turned around in her seat, and looked at her surroundings. Pulling the hood off of her head, she saw people were leaving their buildings. Strangely, they all started heading the same direction. She scratched her chin, "Where is everybody off to." She asked herself.

"Anyone know where they are heading?" She asked her companions. Turning back around, Tara looked them over. A strange bunch, no doubt. But weirder things have happened, so she decided not to question it much. "Should we see where everyone is going?" She asked the group.
  12. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    Jacob lays with his eyes closed against the side of the wagon. "Huh? No idea Tara." Opening his eyes Jacob cracks his neck before looking out the wagon to see the stables. "Wait a sec. Goblin Squish...Squash Stables. That's what ma mother told me 'bout. Sorry, but I gotta take care o' somethin' I'll meet up wit youns later."

Hitting the ground Jacob turns to the stables before walking over. "'Cuse me. I'm lookin fer a...Daviren Hosk. Ma mother knew 'im." A few horses whinny as Jacob looks at them. "Easy there."
  13. Razgriz

Syl lifted her hood slightly and looked past her three companions to the North, looking for a chapel, town square or somewhere else that a town might gather. After a quick glance outside the cat was greeted by the sight of an immense cathedral in the distance, surrounded by walls and towers. The courtyard in front of the cathedral seemed to be where the townsfolk were gathering.

Hoping whatever the fuss was about was at least interesting, Syl fully raised her hood, lowered her scarf and ran off toward the gathering, momentarily turning to wave the rest of the group over before continuing on her way.
  14. Chi

(You'd have been correct in that everyone's gathering in front of the Cathedral, Raz, how did you know... :P)
    Jacob, as you approach the stable, you see a collection of horses of various types, as well as a few empty stalls, but no sign of Deverin, and the door to the interior of the stables is locked.
  15. Squishy

"Hmm...?"

Rael lazily blinked his eyes, having just woken up from a rather peculiar dream. He didn't exactly remember it, but he could vaguely recall it involving a forest, two of his current companions and a glowing mark in an embarrassing place.

Best not to dwell on it.

He took a deep breath, then looked at the buildings around him, before noticing the catfolk leaping off the wagon and running off.

"Oh, looks like we're off already." He replied to Tara's question. "I guess it's best to follow?"
  16. Lich-Kun

Lich-Kun New Member reg

Vass made a quick scan of his surroundings, taking note of the mass migration of people. Were he not paying attention, he would have missed the cat-girl's signal to follow.

The rogue turned his attention to Tara. "My," he chimed, "you're even more ravishing without that hood obscuring your lovely face, my dear." Extending his hand to her, he said, "Tara, was it? I noticed Syl signal us toward the cathedral. Shall we be off then? We wouldn't want to keep our companions waiting, hm?"
  17. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    Checking the lock Jacob sighs and rubs his forehead. "Course ain't no one 'ere. Ugh...well I hope I meet up wit 'im soon. Now where'd that wagon git off ta?" Jacob cracks his neck a bit before walking down the road the way the wagon was going.

"Man sure are a lot o' people 'ere. Some kind o' carnival er somethin' goin' on? Heh." A small smile crosses Jacob's face for no real reason as he looks around at the people he is walking with. "Shit...where'd erryone else go?"
  18. Magnere

Magnere Momentai vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-6426-3927
    Tara turned around towards the rogue. She thought for a second, before smiling and replying "Thank you." She grabbed his hand and started walking towards the cathedral, attempting to follow the catfolk.
  19. Squishy

Rael simply blinked in surprise, before calmly packing his things away, and followed the other two, humming to himself.
  20. Chi

((Something I learned quickly about Play By Posts, fellas, is do not be too worried about being loquacious and wordy, because in the end it slows you down and halts play extremely quickly. Try to get the point across about what your character is attempting to do, with some dialogue, and leave it at that, don't worry about filling space, we're not writing novels here :) . Make your Dialogue and internal monologues stand out, but don't overwhelm us with gorgeous imagery, that's my job in setting up the setting. ONE MORE THING, JACKIE! Do NOT feel like you have to wait on me to do things, especially with interparty interactions, let your own sensibilities control your actions))

As the Cat quickly noticed, the people seemed to be flocking towards the stone cathedral at the north end of town, as you follow people, and quickly get stuck in the crowd of people, making you a captive audience for whatever this event may be.A stage has been set up in front of the cathedral and a woman with short auburn hair stands in the center. Behind her sit four wooden chairs, three of them occupied. As the crowd notices her, a hush descends and all eyes turn to the stage. She smiles and begins to speak:

"Welcome! As many of your know, my name is Kendra Deverin and I am proud to serve as mayor of this fine town. It's wonderful to see so many of you here to join us on this proud day. I'd like to extend my welcome to the many new faces I see in the crowd. I hope you all are enjoying your stay here in Sandpoint and especially if it is your first visit here I sincerely hope that you're having a wonderful time. And to all of the old faces I see today, thank you for coming and thank you for everything that each of you has done to keep this town strong in recent years. I see that even Larz Rovanky has torn himself away from work to join us today! It is truly a miracle from Desna herself! [There is quite a bit of laughter and many eyes are turned to a serious looking man dressed in all leather and wearing a sour expression on his face. Kendra waves to him and continues.] Without further ado, let me introduce your Sheriff, Belor Hemlock!"

A dour looking man wearing a worn breastplate and a longsword belted at his waist stands and walks to the center of the stage. His head is shaved and he his eyes are constantly moving about the crowd. He shakes the Mayor's hand and begins to speak.

"Thank you Mayor. Even in the heat of celebration, let us not forget the sad events that brought us to this day. And also let us not forget the souls that were lost five years ago. I would like you to all join me in a moment of silence to remember the lives that were lost in the fire that claimed our previous chapel on that fateful night. [The Sheriff lowers his head and the crowd joins him, many of them quite awkwardly as the silence persists. After the moment is over, the Sheriff raises his head and begins to speak again.] In remembering let us also not allow these events to repeat themselves. I am of the understanding that a bonfire is planned for tonight. I urge you all to observe caution during this event. [he clears his throat and smiles awkwardly] And ummm... Enjoy yourselves. Let me introduce the next speaker; give your attention to Cyrdak Drokkus, proprieter of the local theatre."

He nods to the crowd and walks back to his chair, passing the next speaker who is already on his way up to the center-stage. This man is quite a contrast to the Sheriff; he is brightly dressed, sports a well-groomed goatee, and seems to be thoroughly enjoying the day. As he reaches the center stage he loosens his collar a bit, winks into the crowd and starts to talk:

"Well, thank you Sheriff for that uplifting oratory. Now I know this town has been through some hard times, but look at what we've accomplished [He motions towards the church.] And I'm telling you, they spared no expense with this place. Father Zantus' chamber pot? Solid gold. I kid you not, our generous nobles put a pretty copper into the construction of this joint. I think the Churches even chipped in a silver or two! I even heard a rumor that all of the Gods got together and scrounged up four gold pieces to help get this thing built! But don't take it from me, the Padre over here is the one with the direct line, he's the one you want to hear from! But before I let him get things going I'd like to take this opportunity to extend my personal invitation to each and every one of you to the new production of "The Harpy's Curse" starring the world-famous Magnimarian diva Allishanda as Avisera the harpy queen! It's all premiering tomorrow evening at the Sandpoint Theatre and it is going to be fab-u-lous! And now join me in a bit of applause for his holiness himself, Father Zantus!"

The crowd cheers as Cyrdak motions Zantus to the center stage. The young priest looks noticedly abashed at the reception set up for him. He wears the traditional ceremonial robes of a priest of Desna and a shiny silver holy symbol about his neck. He smiles and tries to calm the crowd down, eventually speaking when the applause has subsided:

"Ahem, thank you. Thank you Cyrdak. And thank all of you for coming to join us on this most Holy day. Today is a day of new beginnings so without boring you with long speeches, I declare the Swallowtail Festival officially underway!"

Cheers overwhelm the crowd of a little over 1000 people for over a minute, as the crowds begin to disperse, and chatter and shouts of glee fill the air and you all get more breathing room. There are signs being hung up directing people to various festival games of various kinds, with signs like "Devil Hunt" or "Goblin Toss", "Dragon Races" and "Catched the Greased Pig", as well as sign leading off labeled "Ogre stomp", and one strangely labeled "A Pixie's Kiss*adults only". There's supposed to be a magnificent wizard putting on shows for the kids, as well. You overhear some guy named Vale having an archery competition off towards the woods.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014