Pathfinder: Seas of the Realm [Interest Check and Information]

Discussion in 'Sandbox Role Plays' started by Chaos James, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Chaos James

Chaos James Bastion of Debauchery vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Greetings,

I'm posting here to look at interest in running my own Pathfinder Play by Post (PbP) adventure here on Hyrule Castle, much akin to what Chi is doing. Hopefully my style of game will be enjoyed by people, though I can't stress enough that I am not perfect and I am very likely to make mistakes in running such a game. Despite my potential for mistaking or misreading rules, which can be ironed out, I trust in my years of experience to run a solid adventure.

Basic Premise
    What I'll be looking at running is an adventure in which a group of Adventurers, likely only 4 or 5 of them, starting at the 1st Level, all being fellow soldiers in the Empire's army. For whatever reasons he has, a General will conscript the Adventurers into captaining their own ship to take part in sea-related exploration. Other then being asked to charter unknown seas to give the Empire a solid map of the sea, the Adventurers will be free to do as they please in furthering the good of the Empire.

As such, this adventure will likely be pretty Sandbox-y as the Adventurers make what they will of the situation. Transporting Trade Goods, setting up Trade Routes and Agreements, dealing with threats and exploring unknown islands will likely be the bulk of it, but by no means the only things that can be done.

Useful Information
    -This takes place in an original setting of my own creation. As such, any questions about the setting can gladly be asked if you need it, though you can also learn about it as you go along.
    -Other then the Core Races, the only other available races are: Drow, Orc, Aasimir, and Tiefling.
    -You will start at Level 1 with a 20-point Buy.
    -All the Core Classes are available, as are all the Base Classes minus Summoner, who is not available for use. Samurai and Ninja are also usable. Any other class request must be asked of me and I will consider it, though I will likely veto anything too exotic or redundant.
    -I will post more information as I get interest in the adventure, such as Region Information, Deities, and anything else I feel the players should know. I will also fill in any information people ask for, to the best of my abilities.
    -Because of the proposed adventure, some may wish to consider less-often used Skills, but in any case I strongly recommend Swim, due to taking place around plenty of water.

Party Slots 1
    Party Slots 2
    Extra
    • Guy
    • Razgriz

If I get up to eight people interested, I may be able to run a second game using the same setting, considering how more open the Seas of the Realm setting is.

Since I'm willing to have Parties of 4-5 people, I have a current max limit of 10. Since both adventures will take place in the same setting, with all the players being Koroshite Soldiers, we'll also have the ability to interact with each other, swap party members between the two, and other such fun things.

Thank you for reading this, and I look forward to seeing who is interested in such a game.

Deities of the Realm
    Alozan (open)
    Name: Alozan
    Title: God of Men, Battle, Healing
    Alignment: Lawful Good
    Symbol: Sword pointed upwards with wings from the hilt
    Home Plane: The Hall of Light
    Favored Weapon: Longsword
    Information: While primarily a Human God, Alozan is worshipped by many across the lands. Warriors pray for victory, while others pray for protection, many consider Alozan as one of the main Deities of the Realm.
    Belthandra (open)
    Name: Belthandra
    Title: Goddess of Travel
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Symbol: A Star with 8 points
    Home Plane: The Crossroads
    Favored Weapon: Quarterstaff
    Information: Perhaps one of the more well-known deities, a Human Goddess who is worshiped and prayed to when travel is involved. Be it a group of adventurers about to head out, workers finishing a new road, or a crew right before setting sail, Belthandra is often invoked to give safe passage for all those who travel.
    Nur'vec (open)
    Name: Nur'vec
    Title: God of Death, God of Air
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Symbol: Twin sickles with a dagger behind
    Home Plane: The Last Tavern
    Favored Weapon: Sickle
    Information: When the last God of Death was forceable removed from his throne, the seat was left empty until a lone human assassin managed to ascend to Godhood, taking the place of the god, though not many know how. As such, Nur'vec has less followers then his fellow deities, but finds loyal followers in many thieves and assassins, though he sometimes worries of the type he invites by his title.
    Jolkomra (open)
    Name: Jolkomra
    Title: God of Nature
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    Symbol: Large tree with birds flying around
    Home Plane: The World Tree
    Favored Weapon: Longbow
    Information: A wise old God mainly revered by the Elves, Jolkomra is a lover of nature and all that make their home in the wild. Any Druid you meet would likely call praise to Jolkomra in their daily lives, thanking him for all that he protects and blessings related to the land. Some farmers also call upon the older god for strong livestock and good harvests.
    Vi'el Ret (open)
    Name: Vi'el Ret
    Title: Goddess of Discord
    Symbol: Swirls with spikes through the center
    Home Plane: The Heart of the Storm
    Favored Weapon: Bolas
    Information: Many theorize she is the opposite of Jolkomra, an old Elven deity of madness and chaos. She is often praised by those who wish anarchy upon the lands or who dislike order and law, but she often ignores such requests out of sheer insanity. Despite often ignoring the requests of her people, she is still praised by many in the world.
    Aklivara (open)
    Name: Aklivara
    Title: God of the Sky
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Symbol: The Sun and Moon as one
    Home Plane: The Heavenly Court
    Favored Weapon: None
    Information: God of both the Sun and the Moon, Aklivara is well believed by scholars and holy men alike to be the oldest and strongest of any deity, lord and leader of the rest. Is is worshipped as a god of order, balance and proper folk. Though not many common folk pray to him as often as the other deities, he is still known and widely respected throughout the realm.
    Niera (open)
    Name: Niera
    Title: Goddess of Magic
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Symbol: Arcane tome
    Home Plane: The Abyss Tower
    Favored Weapon: Dagger
    Information: Practically every weaver of the arcane prays to Niera above any other deity, seeing her as what is proper and right in the world. They see their goddess as the only one of the deities with logic and understandable actions backing her decisions, though finding actual sermons on her acts is hard as not many of the divine seek her teachings.
    Domhain (open)
    Name: Domhain
    Title: God of Mining
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Symbol: Pickaxe in a stone
    Home Plane: The Hall of Three
    Favored Weapon: Pickaxe
    Information: Eldest brother of the three Dwarven Gods, Domhain is the patron of many Dwarves due simply to his love of Dirt and Drink. Before starting a mine or when finishing their day of digging with a fine ale, Domhain is boisterously cheered in praise by Dwarves across the lands. Even those who may not mine the earth find peace in prayers to him, as he represents a sturdy point in the lives of many.
    Pioc (open)
    Name: Pioc
    Title: God of Wealth
    Symbol: Gold coins in a pile
    Favored Weapon: Warhammer
    Information: Middle brother of the three Dwarven Gods, Pioc is probably the most worshiped outside of their Dwarven followers, due to being the chief deity of money. Many pray to Pioc for fortune and fame, especially Merchants of any race who ask him for good deals and lots of wealth to come there way. He seldom grants charity though, prefering people to earn their gold to make it worth every coin.
    Bolcan (open)
    Name: Bolcan
    Title: God of Justice
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    Symbol: Battle Axe converted into scales
    Favored Weapon: Battle Axe
    Information: Youngest brother of the three Dwarven Gods, Bolcan is the leader of the three, bringing fair justice to all who request his aid. Many look to him for guidance in dealing with criminals, be they Dwarven or otherwise. He respects those who think first before acting and judging everything about a situation so mistakes are kept to a minimum. Many of his clerics proclaim him as an executioner of the unjust, but many see him as only the arbiter and leaves the outcome of his justice to his people.
    Urluk-Kamras (open)
    Name: Urluk-Kamras
    Title: God-Lord of Fire, the Firelord, Orc-Lord
    Alignment: Lawful Evil
    Symbol: Fire consuming a spear
    Home Plane: The Field of Bones
    Favored Weapon: Bastard Sword
    Information: Patron deity of the Orc people, any who worship battle above life or bring praise to fire give their prayers to Urluk-Kamras. Despite his fearsome persona and command of the Orcish folk, he is often assumed to be a horrid monster to all that don't know of his acts. He belives the strong should lead and battle should give the right to rule, but without the honor so many forget, then all is for nothing. While many mistake followers as a cult to true evil, some will understand and let be those who have their reasons to worship the Firelord.
    Cormor (open)
    Name: Cormor
    Title: God of Fortune
    Symbol: A horseshoe with a coin in the middle
    Home Plane: The Lines of Fate
    Favored Weapon: Spear
    Information: Through some ill-fated turn of events, the deity Cormor somehow managed to get domain of Good Luck and Fortune, much to his discontent. Despite being the god who controls and influences all the luck in the world, he himself is cursed with incredibly bad luck that he just can't influence. Nothing ever goes right for him, and he has condemned himself to living in annoyed misery.
    Myslarus (open)
    Name: Myslarus
    Title: Goddess of Trickery
    Symbol: Four horseshoes in a circle with three coins in the middle
    Home Plane: The Lines of Fate
    Favored Weapon: 10 ft Pole
    Information: While patron of Jesters and pranksters alike, Myslarus is perhaps the cruelest being you could hope to meet. She, for whatever reason, chose Cormor as her husband, declaring them as a couple among the powers that be, then lives in his home plane of existance and gives the God of Luck horrible, cruel unluckyness. A twisted celestial prank that her followers are in on, yet they can not speak such of the prank to others through strange compulsions. All they can do is laugh with their Goddess at a joke they can never share.
    Diadura (open)
    Name: Diadura
    Title: Goddess of Death
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Symbol: A single flower on a stone.
    Home Plane: The Grave of the People
    Favored Weapon: Scythe
    Information: While many consider her a rival to Nur'vec, whom also holds claim to the title of Death, Diadura is not concerned with the taking of life or claiming it as her own, instead simple celebrates the life that has passed. Her name is called to watch over the spirit of the departed as the deceased can witness those who loved them one last time before moving on. Many celebrate the death of those they loved to honor the one they lost to help the person move on without regret. Scholars have long since argued she should be a Goddess of Life then, but her followers claim that would be false as her only concern is celebrating those who have passed.

Setting Information I
    Simply put, the Realm this adventure takes place in is inspired heavily by Dungeons and Dragons and it's resulting generic fantasy, for the most part.

The adventure will take place in 210 DA (Discovery Age)

The whole Party will be starting as low-ranking Koroshite Soldiers in the Imperial Army, regardless of what Region they were born and raised in.

Korosh Empire (open)
    For the purposes of this adventure though, the players will be starting in the Korosh Empire, specifically an Imperial Port Town called Tenvar. Before that, they were likely spending time in the Imperial Grand Capital, Kete. While the continent is mostly inhabited by Humans, many other races live in the Empire, though you are likely to find some of the less common races in the west instead. The Korosh Empire was started in 1 BA (Building Age), and has been going strong for a thousand years in varying states of rise and decline. The Korosh Empire prints their own money, known as "Imperial Coin" for Gold Coins, Imperial Silver, Imperial Copper, and Imperial Royals (Platinum Coins). The Korosh Empire is the best place to go to reliable find Cavalier trainers and is one of two places to find Inquisitor trainers, so characters of those Classes will have to have spent a long time in this region or was born here.

Vemmet Empire (open)
    Across the Sulstan Sea to the west of Korosh you'll first find the Vemmet Empire, a land ruled by Elves. With a thriving landscape and high Elven magic, the Elves have done well to construct their empire strong and lasting. While it has a rich upper class and Elves can live easy lives, the other Vemite race aren't so lucky. Unlike in other places where Humans enjoy a variety of positions, the Humans in Vemmet are second-class citizens much like the Dwarves, Drow and Orcs that live there. The only place they are free of direct Elven influence is the forest town of Elemas, which is almost devoid of Elves. The ruling capitol, Vormenna City, is a prime location for Alchemists and Inquisitors to flock, resulting in a prime location to train.

The main forces of Vemmet are backed up by the Gorvma Shieldmaidens, an almost exclusively female Elven faction of Paladins and Fighters. Vemmet currency is called Gold Motes, squarish chips about the size of a standard coin. They likewise have Silver Motes, Copper Motes, and Fey Motes are equivalent to Platinum Coins.
    Demapra (open)
    Going further west from Vemmet, across a mountain range, lies the Kingdom of Demapra, a mixing pot of people and ideas. While a quarter of the region is considered mountainous, that hasn't stopped people from etching out of a living here. While Humans are the ruling force of the region, the amount of races is probably the most varied, including the largest concentration of both the Drow and Orc Refugees from The Rising roughly ten years ago. The past nine years has seen lots of changes in the region, including a new port town etched from the cliffs by the sea, or the return of the Elven Queen in the northern elf-controlled forests.

Demapra has a robust Thieves Guild, meaning opportunity to train as a Rogue is much higher here, but possible elsewhere. The varied setting has led to quite a few Magus and Oracle trainers being find-able in the capital city Daruina. The standard Demapra currency is the Gold Piece, Silver Piece, Copper Piece, and Platinum Piece.
    Farnoth (open)
    Going farther north from Demapra and Vemmet, across swamp lands and mountains, you'll find the vast lands of Farnoth. Likely the largest region by far, this landscape is comprised of huge plains, rolling hills, vast forests, and mountainous outcrops. Due to the size of Farnoth, it has many small settlements and very little central government, it being common for people to live Nomadic lifestyles. Many in the world see Farnoth as merely unintelligent Barbarian territory, and while Barbarians tribes are common, the region as a whole wouldn't be considered much more primitive then any other region. Witches Covens are often found in Farnoth, leading to training as a Witch to be the most possible in the region.

While many of the Nomadic Tribes prefer to simply barter for needed resources, many settlements have adopted to using the Gold Pieces of Demapra as their standard currency. Farnoth was the first recorded region to have organized Adventurer's Guilds, starting all the way back in 400 WA (Wild Age), over 2000 years ago. Mysticism ranges far across the region, and Dragons are considered by many to be both Divine Beasts and Grave Omens to the people.
    Ketso (open)
    Far south, across the Sulstan Sea, then across forests and mountains you will find the mysterious landlocked region of Ketso. Not much is known about this place, as not many people travel to or from the region, the those that do speak of a different culture compared to the northern regions across the sea. Their buildings are raised slightly off the ground, with tiled roofs and sliding doors, and many shrines dot the countryside. Ketso has a very high density of Humans compared to other races, where you are unlikely to find anything more uncommon then a Dwarf in the region. Compared to the Common dialect, which scholars often refer to as Northern Common, in the north, people of the region speak Ketsian.

Their currency is known as a Ketso Coin, which is commonly worth five Imperial Silvers on average. Because of the different culture, Ketso is the only place in the known Realm where one can train as a Samurai or Ninja. The different way in which their culture has changed over the years is also how they discovered gunpowder, being the only region to have Gunslingers or gun technology.

Political Information Regarding The Different Regions:

Korosh Info (open)
    Ruled by Emperor Riren Van Korveth III and his Imperial Magistrate, the region of Korosh is currently experiencing a prosperous decade. As such, they have started to branch out more, being proactive in gaining allies and trade agreements, and intent on expanding their borders across both land and sea. Despite that, they hold no treaties with other regions concerning peace, believing their orderly military might and careful watch of the world means they don't need to tie themselves down with such agreements.
    Vemmet Info (open)
    Due to being an Elven monarchy and generally viewing non-Elves as second-class citizens, the Vemmet Empire is looked on with a kind of grudge by Korosh and Demapra, though with the richer nobles and ambassadors are treated well enough so it really comes down to the disgruntled population. The Elven High King rules the empire with a long-lasting reach and close connections with their churches.
    Demapra Info (open)
    Ruled by their King, the region likewise has a council of notable people that help deal with issues in the kingdom. They have many travelers between their region and Vemmet, though the occasional issue springs up between the two regions as they butt heads, especially with many disliking how the Vemmet Empire's High King looking down upon their Human King. Despite butting heads, in recent years Demapra has created a healthy trade agreement with the sea-faring regions and guard their trade secrets closely.
    Northen Info (open)
    Because of the decentralized laws of the northern region, as most tribes and settlements have their own local laws. As such, many settlements deal with treaties from other regions on an individual basis.
    Ketso Info (open)
    Because of their isolated location to the far south, not much interaction happens between Ketso and other regions. Ambassadors have been sent between the regions, and a few travelers have been known to move across the sea. Overall, not much information is shared so Ketso is cautiously neutral with all regions. They are ruled by a holy Emperor and has many Warlords who run smaller sections of the countryside.

Making a Character:
    When making a character for Seas of the Realm (SotR), here is some helpful information.
    • 20-Point Buy
    • Max HP at First Level
    • No Evil-Alignment Characters (As a side note, the Assassin Prestige Class no longer requires Evil)
    • Default Two (2) Traits, a Third Slot unlocking if you take a Drawback. Traits may be rewarded later on based on circumstances in the adventure.
    For your Starting Gold, select one of the following:
    • Average Gold for your Class
    • Roll for your Gold based on your Class

Edits (open)

• 19/02/2014 - 9:49pm EST - Editted the wording of "Useful Information" to clarify all Core+Base Classes are allowed, except for Summoner.
    • 19/02/2014 - 10:41pm EST - Added Chi as the first Party Slot as a Gnome Arcanist, and Darth as Party Slot #2.
    • 19/02/2014 - 11:48pm EST - Added Clooby to the list as Party Slot #3, also added in a list of all the Deities of the Realm.
    • 20/02/2014 - 8:51am EST - Added Eevachu and Eternis to Party Slots #4 & #5 respectively, and created an overflow list for SenpaiPancake, to perhaps run a second adventure if enough interest is available. Also adding in more information on the setting, specifically regional information.
    • 20/02/2014 - 3:40pm EST - Added Magnere, Squishy and Guy to the overflow slots. Also added in information below the Slots about the two adventures.
    • 20/02/2014 - 11:20pm EST - Added some information about the general politics of each region and some of their views on other regions.
    • 21/02/2014 - 6:45pm EST - Moved Guy to an Extra List, moved Eternis to Party 2, and added some information about character creation.
    • 22/02/2014 - 12:18am EST - Added Razgriz to the Extra List, added Trait rules to Character Creation infromation.
    • 23/02/2014 - 3:44pm EST - Reordered the Party Lists.
    • 23/02/2014 - 6:53pm EST - Added Will to Party 2.
    • 25/02/2014 - 12:39pm EST - Added some character sheets, swapped Squishy and Darth between Parties.
    • 25/02/2014 - 10:13pm EST - Switched Will and Squishy between Parties.
    • 26/02/2014 - 12:13am EST - SenpaiPancake dropped out.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. Chi

Chi Pre-everything insanity girl reg

I'd like to play a minor noble gnome arcanist if at all possible ;).
  3. Darth_Slaverus

Darth_Slaverus Member vet

Colour me intrigued. I'd definitely be interested in setting deities before deciding on any character concepts, though.
  4. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    Uhhh, assuming I can play some sort of salty dog pirate captain who could ride around on like a bullshark or something as per like a cavalier, I'd be in.
  5. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    An Ex-Pirate who now serves the Empire could likely work, though I've already vetoed the Shark Mount.

Also added a list of Deities for those interested. I'll likely add in more information as I organize it.
  6. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

I'm interested, but wanna know a little more about the setting first, more specifically.
  7. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

I'm interested, and I'm happy to act as the clerical healer if no-one else is.
  8. Darth_Slaverus

Having thought a little more, I think I'd like to play a debuffer Witch with a Blue-Ringed Octopus familiar. Haven't settled on a patron or race, though. :P
  9. SenpaiPancake

SenpaiPancake Shhh! I'm charging my laser... reg

I'm very much interested in playing. I'll have a character idea sometime time tomorrow.
  10. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Wow, a lot more interest then I thought. As I'd like to keep the party size to 4-5 (due to larger Parties generally slowing things down a lot), if I reach 8 people interested in this, I can run a second adventure in the same setting, due to the open setting.

I've also added in some region information of the setting, which should help a bit with character ideas. Feel free to inquire more information about a region, and there will be plenty of chances to learn more about them in game as well.
  11. Magnere

Magnere Momentai vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-6426-3927
    I'm interested. This seems like a really cool setting. I will hopefully have a character concept around tomorrow.
  12. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Looks like I'm a little late, but I'm interested as well c: I don't really have a solid concept yet, though barbarian or something seems fun to try.
  13. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I'd want to join, but you already have more than enough people (and I'll be mostly gone until March 6th anyway, so I'd slow everyone down). u:
  14. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Added Magnere, Squishy and Guy to the list.

I'm fine with max Party Size of 5, along with that, it will be possible to switch Party Members between the two adventures if we require, and if you would like Guy you can join when you return. It surely isn't hard to add in characters after the fact.
  15. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Added in a little bit of information about creating a character, mainly about starting gold.

I also moved Eternis to Party 2, and put Guy into an Extra List, so he can be added to either Party when he returns/can make a character.

On that note, if anyone has any preference or suggestions on which members are in which Party, feel free to let me know.
  16. Magnere

Magnere Momentai vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-6426-3927
  17. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Put me in the maybe pile, I've got exams until the end of April and other commitments as well; but I'm definitely interested.
  18. Darth_Slaverus

Do you have any special rules regarding Traits?
  19. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Added in the information that you can take 2 Traits, and you get a Third if you take a Drawback.

Also, added Razgriz to the "Extra List".
  20. Darth_Slaverus