Pathfinder Character Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Sandbox Role Plays' started by WillowtheWhisp, Feb 25, 2014.

1. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Hi guys. I'm really happy to see pathfinder becoming a fairly popular thing around here: I've always thought d20 games were cool, but could only play until recently because of Skype, and some ambitious people. In any case, I have spent a ton of hours just planning and playing around with different character builds and ideas. As such, I have a fairly good understanding of what can be achieved and what can't be. Anyways, I've opened this thread so that if any of you would like some help, some recommendations, or maybe some ideas, you can voice it here, and maybe someone else might be able to help.
  2. Chaos James

Chaos James Bastion of Debauchery vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    This is cool, though right now I'm not playing in anything (and don't tend to optimize to any degree anyways because LOLRPNOCARERULESLOLOLOL), but theorycrafting is so much fun all the same.

I highly suggest you post interesting builds you make even if people don't ask, and break them down to explain why you did what. I'd love to read every week interesting class builds, be they using a specific weapon (like a whip), based on a specific strategy (Climb ANYTHING), or to achieve a theme (Ice Wizard, playing as Ichigo/Link/Batman, ect).

Could be fun to read. :DDD
  3. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Build Concept: Ascheritt Blacktusk, Race:Half-Orc, thematically also Half-Dragon, Theme: Intimidation

Ascheritt Blacktusk is part brawler, part spellcaster, all meatgrinder. The level breakdown is Sorcerer 1 (Crossblooded Archetype, Draconic: Green, Orc)/ Antipaladin 3/Rogue 3 (Thug Archetype)/Dragon Disciple 8/Sorcerer 5. Ascheritt takes the Toothy Half-Orc Trait, that gives a 1d4 Bite Attack.

Since our spellcasting "base" to qualify for Dragon Disciple is the Sorcerer, its charisma spellcasting meshes well with our theme of intimidation. Ascheritt's stats will revolve largely around Strength, Constitution, and Charisma--the other stats should generally stay at ten or below, with the exception of dexterity, which should be higher. His first level feat is Intimidating Prowess, which applies the character's strength modifier as a bonus to Intimidate. At third level, he takes Weapon Focus: Falchion (Half-Orcs are automatically proficient in Falchions, and it is one of the best melee weapons in the game), and at fifth he takes Dazzling Display. Dazzling Display allows Ascheritt to spend a full round action to make an intimidate check against every enemy within 30 ft. of him. Once he gains access to Dragon Disciple and unlocks his Acid Breath attack (due to having the Green Draconic bloodline), he takes the feat Noxious Bite. This allows him to nauseate a target that he bites, imposing several penalties on them. While in Half-Orc form, he uses his Falchion and bite attacks, with his high strength and buffs, to dish out some strong damage.

The Antipaladin levels here are key. The first level grants him smite good as well as proficiency in all armor, and simple and martial weapons. Second allows him to apply his charisma bonus to his saves, in addition to their regular saves (this helps bolster his already strong will and fortitude saves, will shoring up his weak reflex save). The third level is the most important level: any enemy within 10 ft. of him takes a -4 to their saves to resist fear effects, and loses their immunity to fear. See that construct over there? Yeah, you just intimidated him. That lich? Scared out of his pants. Also, at third level you become immune to disease, though you can still spread them. So, go collect all the diseases you can, so you can spread them with your bite attack.

Normally, Intimidation isn't the strongest of debuffs. It does well at early levels, but quickly loses relevance. Levels in the Thug archetype for Rogue help with this: If an opponent would be shaken (a condition can can be caused by the Intimidate skill) for four or more rounds, you may instead cause them to be frightened, incurring further penalty, and causing their behavior to change. Though subtle, this lets you tip things towards your party's favor, as you whittle away at any attempt at order your enemy tries to muster. Third level of Thug gives you the ability to forgo 1d6 of sneak attack damage to sicken the creature you just hit. The three levels of Thug give you a total of 2d6 sneak attack damage, per attack.

Dragon Disciple brings in some awesome abilities. As mentioned before, it allows you to use the Noxious Bite feat. But it also gives you several powers; flight, the ability to grow claws, and even to transform into a dragon. More importantly, if gives some hefty stat buffs, increasing your already powerful strength and constitution, and giving you a modest boost to your intelligence. It's a bit cheesy, but because you took the Crossblooded archetype of Sorcerer, the Dragon Disciple technically advances both of your bloodlines, and not just your Draconic one; the Orc bloodline gives more bonuses to strength (+6 at level 18, I think), and some other nice powers, like the ability to turn into a giant.

All while casting 6th level spells, as a 14th level sorcerer (with the magical knack trait), while having a +15 BAB (Which is the breaking point for three attacks in a full attack action), along modest saves and hit point.

Uuuuunfortunately you have to be Chaotic Evil to take Antipaladin levels, and it's just not as cool, if you can't scare everything under the sun.
  4. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

This isn't really a build concept, but more of a list of 21 feats that make up Twilight Princess Link, as far as I can tell.
    (Which a LVL 20 Fighter allows you to build)

Whirlwind Attack (Dex 13) (BAB +4)
    Combat Expertise (Int 13)
    Spring Attack
    Mobility
    Dodge
    Great Cleave
    Cleave
    Power Attack (Str 13)
    {Optional}
    Martial Mastery (Human, FTR 16)
    Martial Versatility
    Weapon Focus (Longsword)
    ", Greater
    Weapon Specialization (LS)
    ", Greater
    {/Optional}
    Point Blank Shot
    Far Shot
    Precise Shot
    Rapid Shot
    Shot on the Run
    Mounted Combat
    Mounted Archery

The six feats mentioned as "Optional" focus specifically on Link's mastery of swordsmanship, so removing them allows you to multiclass, and maybe be more of an OOT link, or from one of the other games.
    Anyway, that's my two cents :P