My Worst Enemy Is the Person Next To Me [Moonshadow][Eevachu + Darth_Slaverus]

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Eevachu, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

The unsettling feeling was not quick to dissipate from Rika's stomach, but he began to find himself relieved of his thoughts as he caught a glimpse of a small squadron of armor-clad figures in the approaching distance among the whirring winds and snow. Rika tried everything he could to draw their attention; he launched spells in the air to their hopeful notice, and his voice, though somewhat drowned out by the environment, cried out towards them. Whether it was due to his attempts to grab their notice, or that they simply saw a Kokiri as reported, the small handful of guards began to march over towards Rika. "There's a Kokiri, just like Lady Flayre reported! Men, move in and retrieve him!" A muffled voice called out, as the men began to move in. As they approached, Rika shouted to them, "He's right here! Be careful with handling him. I treated his wounds, but I'm not a doctor, they could open up if he's moved improperly." While not responding, the soldiers seemed to take heed of Rika's words, as they carefully moved the body. Upon closer inspection, Rika realized they were not simply on foot; they had brought a small, high-wheeled carriage with them. While it might be somewhat ineffective for this type of landscape, it seemed to work for reaching this point, and would serve to transport the injured man far more safely.

As some of the soldiers were moving the injured man to the carriage, Rika took note of their ranks; there were a few soldiers moving the body, while around half-a-dozen stood around somewhat aimlessly, waiting. It seemed like a somewhat large number, but made sense after the trouble even Rika had getting here, and especially after the encounter the slaughtered squadron had; they wouldn't want to take any chances. However, he noticed a distinct lack of a hovering, scantily clad fairy. "Where is that witch. . .?" Rika questioned aloud, causing a guard nearby to speak up. "Um, excuse me?" He questioned. "Oh, hey you," Rika bluntly declared, pointing at the guard as if he didn't even hear what he had said, "where's that fairy? She came and directed you, right?" The guard seemed to get incredibly offended, and coughed loudly before explaining, "Yes, if by THAT FAIRY, you mean Lady Flayre, the Great Fairy of Desire, she did tell us of your location. However, Lady Flayre, in her generosity, knew she could not wait when such dark evils were afoot, so she nobly guided her way into the portal. Oh, I wish I could have followed, and served at her side, but she selflessly requested we focus our efforts on finding you and retrieving our injured comrade. You should be grateful to her." He passionately declared, ending it as if it was Rika's fault that he was here.

Rika just rolled his eyes at the guard. "I don't think that's what she means by Great Fairy of Desire." He spat out at the guard, who could only react with stuttering surprise as he did not expect such a response. "W-Why I would never. . . Lady Flayre is pure and just, and I would never have such foul, impure thoughts as to-!" Before he could continue on another passion-driven rant, Rika began walking off. "Thanks!" He waved to the guard as he completely ignored what the man said, before mumbling to himself, "Damn it, so she got there before me. . . I bet she won't last five seconds. Those types never do. . ."

. . .

The small squadron had begun making its way back to camp, and shortly thereafter they had arrived. There didn't seem to be any sort of dispute along the way with the aggravated monsterlife in the mountain region, luckily for them. As a few soldiers began transporting the wounded man to a place he could receive proper treatment, Rika called out to a guard, "Hey, you!" The guard turned to face the Kokiri. "Take me to your commander, I need to get in the portal! And don't screw around with me, I need it quick!" He demanded, and though the guard didn't seem to appreciate the Kokiri's tone, with the fact that the Kokiri had just saved one of his fellow men's lives in mind, he obliged.

. . .

As the man brought Rika to the commander's tent, the Kokiri burst inside. "Alright leader guy, we need to talk quickly!" Rika gave the man little time to respond, as he added, "I need to enter the portal as soon as possible." Though disturbed by the interruption, the commander seemed to recognize the severity and haste of Rika's tone as he responded, ". . . I understand." Rika nodded happily at the commander's willingness to cooperate, and said, "I'm going to need food supplies to bring with me prepared, and I need you to brief me on all the information you know, immediately. About. . .ten days worth of food. I shouldn't need to since I'm helping and I saved your men," The Kokiri somewhat exaggerated, "but I'll put in an advance payment." As he spoke, Rika pulled a small pouch out of a bigger pouch strapped to his waist and tossed it on the table in the tent. The resounding ching of rupees against one another could be heard as it collided with the wood.

The commander slowly nodded and said, ". . . The payment won't be necessary. We are low on supplies, but we are to provide those willing to brave the portal with any supplies necessary. As for information we have, I regret to say, we know very little. Only one man has returned from the portal alive, and, well. . . when we saw him, he was not the man we once knew; he was babbling and mad, completely incoherent. We couldn't get any information out of him, and he's still like that. We haven't sent anyone in sense, at least, none except Lady Flayre who just entered." As he finished speaking, Rika paused to think, before commenting, "Wow, she still went in after hearing that?"

The guard shook his head. "No, she neglected to inquire about what we knew or prepare supplies. She seemed to be in quite a rush to enter the portal, she didn't even want any men to accompany her." As he finished his sentence, Rika's face took on a slight look of shock as he smacked himself in the forehead. "Ugh, that idiot! Is she just trying to die out there? I mean, I could tell she was dumb from how she dressed here, but this is something else altogether. . . " He sighed, before looking up at the chief. "On second thought, I'm going to need twenty days worth of food." The commander, being a smart man, recognized why Rika needed to demand so much food. ". . . I'm afraid there's no other information we can provide for you. I would provide you with men, but many are fearful for their lives- rightfully so, I imagine." Rika shrugged. "Keep your men. They would likely just slow me down and sacrifice their lives for nothing. Their time is much better spent here, fortifying the protection of the portal." With that, Rika then glanced down to Wollo and a veritable exclamation point popped over his head.

"Oh! I need you to watch over Wollo for me." The Kokiri added, motioning to the Octorock. "It's too dangerous in there for him, especially when I have no idea what to expect. He's super easy to take care of, you'll love him by the time I get back." Rika could tell the guard had apprehensions on his face, so before he could speak up, Rika finished with, "For this, just take the rupee pouch on the table. You can use that to provide food for him so he doesn't take up your limited resources, and you can keep the pocket change. Though," Rika paused, a smirk growing on his face, "I will be expecting a hefty sum reward from the Kingdom of Hyrule once I return." Glancing at the pouch, the man still seemed to hold some apprehensions, but nodded, ". . . Very well."

With those matters settled, Rika nodded his head, satisfied. "Then, let us make haste with preparations and head to the portal." He finished with the commander, before turning down to Wollo. "Alright Wollo, I'm gonna be leaving for a while. I don't know when I'll be back, so you have to behave yourself here. If you don't, I told them they could boil you, so be good!" The Kokiri chuckled, though the Octorock seemed to be shivering- from the cold, obviously- at that comment. Perhaps he was just sad Rika was departing. After all, Wollo knew Rika would never fail, he could beat up any monster that showed up, so Wollo would never become a delicious stew to feed the entire army, his body becoming the catalyst that both figuratively and literally warms their hearts and reinvigorates the entire force.

. . .

With his preparations in order and his path set, Rika was face to face with the portal. It was a large, swirling black vortex, roughly the size of his body. Rika felt sick to his stomach merely staring inside of it; it was like an endlessly twisting darkness that was sucking away his soul. It felt awful to even look at, who knows how it would feel to enter? Placing any uncertainty or hesitation he might have in the pit of his stomach to the side, Rika had no option but to plunge inside. Making sure the sack full of preserved food he was provided was strapped securely on him, the Kokiri plunged into the portal.

Darkness. That was all the Kokiri could see. There was nothing around him except empty blackness. No, was there even that? It could be some sort of empty void, where nothing existed. Then, did he still exist? If the sensation of falling were any indication, something did exist and Rika did as well. He felt himself falling, and falling, and falling. The Kokiri braced himself for the fall, clenching his eyes as he descended, completely unaware of what was around him. He fell, and he fell, until splash. The Kokiri was submerged in the strange liquid below.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  2. Darth_Slaverus

Darth_Slaverus Member vet

Nothing about this dreary hellscape made any sense. Even the ripples produced by Flayre's tears as they struck the surface of the silver fluid seemed wrong, radiating outwards in jagged lines rather than the circular patterns one would expect. That only angered the Great Fairy further, and she pounded her fist into the muck.

Why? Why would someone create a place like this, the antithesis of everything she flew for? Had this all been a trap specifically designed to eliminate her from the game of empires, as a prelude to some larger plot? Yes... There was some merit to that possibility. Ganon was a crude and ugly beast, but he was cunning. Knowing the threat she possessed to his reign, he had schemed to remove her from the board... Curses! Considering the blatant similarity to her flight from the South, there could be no other explanation! Why hadn't she seen it before?

Were it within her power, she would have flown straight to Death Mountain and given the Dark King a piece of her mind, only... the oppressive darkness had sapped her will to fight back, her indignation receding before the raw might of her despair. There was no vibrance in this world. How could she escape, when the source of her strength had been ripped from her?

So consumed by her own sorrow, Flayre almost didn't hear it. A sound, muffled by the gloom, echoed mockingly around her, causing her ears to perk up. A sound...? No, a splash. Flayre's heart skipped a beat, and she slowly raised her gaze. Something else was down here, something alive. Given how featureless her surroundings were, it could not be anything else. Was it an ally, come to aid her? Or her jailor, come to check on her?

Either way, she needed to lure them here. Much to her annoyance, it was impossible to discern which direction the noise was coming from, each decibel distorted due to the influence of the unnatural darkness. That left her with only one option.

Cautiously picking herself up, her fur coat soaked and dripping with silver liquid, Flayre began to sing the Elegy of Emptiness, a tune she felt was particularly appropriate, given the circumstances. Her voice was strong and clear, and she was certain that if anything could pierce the darkness, her lovely song would. Yes, this was her true power, the means of her escape... If there was no beauty in this barren land to draw inspiration from, she would MAKE it beautiful.

Taking heart as a life-sized statue of herself materialized in front of her, the Great Fairy took to the air and perched herself atop it, continuing to sing even louder than before. Her likeness was the first thing of any artistic value in this wretched dimension, aside from herself... It would make for a good first impression for her visitor, who could behold her as she should have appeared, were it not for the silver sludge that had spoiled her attire.

And if, by chance, it was her captor who had decided to join her... She would make him suffer as no one had ever suffered before.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  3. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Darkness. That was all Rika could see. He fell and fell in the darkness, and though it felt like he had penetrated something, that was all there was still. At least, that was as far as he was aware; his eyes were sealed shut, unable to be opened. His thick layers of clothing clung to his skin like glue, restricting his movements. His arms and legs felt heavy, as if they were being weighed down- no, a more accurate comparison would be that they were being held in place. His body felt unnaturally cold; a chill surged through every bone in his body, shocking him straight to his core. It was as if he had plunged headfirst into a frozen lake. Perhaps he had, and he simply couldn't see it? That could be why he was unable to move. Or maybe, this was death. He had never really considered what his death would be like, as he did not believe he would ever die, but perhaps that was what this was. Maybe he fell to his death after entering the portal? Were this death, though, it was far crueler than anything he would have imagined. In fact, if it was death, he felt a bit of remorse for the countless lives he had taken throughout his life; did they all suffer this same fate he was currently experiencing?

Perhaps this is a fate he deserved, then, if he forced so many others to live with it. Yet, how long did it go on? Until they gave in? Forever? Such a thought was horrifying. He had no real way of knowing what exactly this was, but if this is what the lone survivor experienced, Rika could understand why he was driven to madness. Yet, Rika knew this wasn't death. He could feel his fingers twitching, slowly bending as if to clench a fist. Was that movement alone proof he was alive? It had to be. For him to die here, to such a shameful death, would not be the way someone like Rika would meet his end. His twitching fingers moved further and further, as his hands slowly balled up into a fist. Then, his eyes shot open.

In an instant, the Kokiri's body plunged out of the silver liquid, the sound of coughs and chokes coming out of his mouth as the silver liquid splat out of his mouth along with other liquids. As he did so, his eyes slowly opened, and all he saw in front of him was darkness. Yet, the Kokiri was not looking in front of him; he was looking at his feet. A glowing, silver liquid was below him, ending just below his hips, and stretching as far as he could see within the darkness. To make it stranger, splashed across its rippling surface was a clear reflection of his face. He could see it perfectly, as if he was glancing in a mirror, even despite the darkness; the liquid let off a strange glow, yet at the same time provided little in the way of illumination. Next, the Kokiri noticed his body; the stiff, restricted feeling he had was gone. Though his body was glistening with the silver liquid, it ran off of him almost entirely akin to water; he felt like he was not being weighed down at all, other than being somewhat drenched. Yet, as he tried to stumble forward, he found it difficult to move the lower half of his body submerged in the silver liquid; it was as though he was wading through a swamp. Normally, that was something that would please Rika, to a certain extent, but despite seeming similar this was the furthest you could get from a marshland. The chill pervading his body remained, but it never seemed too intense to handle; his body was cold, with a perpetual chill running through his bones, but he never felt like he was in danger of freezing or suffering ill effects from the temperature, it was just incredibly discomforting. He would have to finish getting his bearings to properly analyze the situation around him.

Just. . . what was going on, where exactly was he?
  4. Darth_Slaverus

"Hmph."

As Flayre concluded her performance with an exquisite crescendo, her eyes scanned the area before her, her brow furrowing in irritation. The newcomer still had yet to arrive. She was not being ignored- nothing could resist her siren songs. Even the dead and the mindless would stir with passion upon hearing her, such was the splendour of her recitals! Sloth, then, was the only reasonable answer. Had her enchanting lyrics lulled them to sleep, or perhaps compelled them to act like a statue in the faint hope of imitating her conjured likeness' unearthly perfection (After all, even if they could not see, they would know... The imagination ran wild when confronted with beauty)? Regardless, their laziness was beginning to try her patience...

Stewing in her own conceit, the Great Fairy decided her best course of action would be to simply keep trying. It would be folly to wander alone at this juncture, without any clues as to the workings of this dimension... And in doing so, she could introduce some measure of elegance to her drab surroundings. Taking a deep breath, Flayre launched into a second rendition of the Elegy of Emptiness... and then a third when that had finished, as an encore. She deliberately tailored every verse to be louder than the last, in order to better express the necessity of haste to her indolent 'audience.'

By the end of it all, there stood three statues of Flayre, each holding a different pose. The initial statue stood proud and tall, gazing imperiously into the distance with its arms folded behind its back in a ladylike fashion. The second had clasped its hands together, eyes drawn skyward as if in gentle prayer. The third brandished a wand in one hand and a rose in the other, its mouth sporting a confident smile as if it were about to cast a powerful spell that would guarantee victory. And in the midst of these great works of art lounged Flayre herself, who had, upon reaching the Elegy's limit of three summoned statues at a time, taken her seat atop the first and whipped out her small hand mirror, staring intently into the polished glass to ogle her reflection.

Even in this dim lighting, her radiance shone through like the morning sun... Why hadn't she thought of this earlier? Admiring her own countenance was the perfect way to stave off the ennui while she waited!
  5. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

As Rika began to regain control of his senses, his ears were blessed with the elegies of a wondrous melody. A beautiful, airy voice expanded throughout the area, enveloping Rika as the only sound he could hear. Despite being airy, it did not feel gentle to hear- it had a more mature air to it, and the voice, though feminine, was not light. Together with the tone and rhythm of the song, it only helped to instill a sense of sorrow and importance in those who it befell, yet it did not feel threatening. It was rather cruel to hear in such a place where you are essentially deprived of all senses. Was this whoever created this place's way of telling the listener that despite their dreadful and empty situation, there was nothing to fear? It was cruel, and to cling to such a melody would be a dangerous trap Rika would not fall for.

. . . Suddenly, something came to mind. The melody. Rika could not determine a direct source for where it was coming from; rather, it seemed to be rather spread out. Gently waving his arms to his sides, Rika felt nothing but empty space. Glancing up, it was starting to come together to the Kokiri. He fell. He wasn't sure from how far up- though judging by how long it took him to land, it was likely a distance far too high to reach normally, the darkness aside-, but that was one undeniable fact. This meant that he was not in some sort of empty void, or anything of that matter; he was in an actual place that he entered. Not only that, but the distance by which he fell and the dispersed sound of the music meant that it was a large place that he was in. While that was upsetting, as a much smaller area would prove easier to navigate, it meant one thing; this was a real place, so there were real things here. If the creator of this place wasn't in Hyrule, then they must be here, and there would also eventually be a way out. That was especially true by the fact that there was a survivor, his condition aside.

. . . None of that served any use to him if he couldn't see, so he would have to alleviate that. With a snap of his fingers, a small wisp of fire spun to life at his fingertips, but the glow almost immediately faded from the Kokiri's face along with his curious face, the flame hovering harmlessly above his palm yet illuminating only enough light to lick the edges of Rika's face, as if his magic power were being sapped by another source and preventing him from using the spell to its full potential. Could he not cast spells here? Thrusting his hand forward, Rika launched a chilling blast of ice from his palm which crashed against the liquid ice, leaving a trail of ice spikes skidding across it. That was when Rika's eyes began to narrow as he realized the truth of this place; it wasn't his magic that was being sapped away, and in fact, he was more than capable of casting spells. This darkness, though, it wasn't just due to the apparent lack of a sun; it was something supernatural, a powerful magic in-of itself that consumed any light that came into being. This would make things quite difficult for him.

Then, the next thing for him to address would be the voice he heard; was it some sort of magical projection, or was there actually a woman singing? While he couldn't pinpoint the exact location of the source of the voice, Rika was at least able to tell its general direction, though by this point the singing had stopped. Leaving the Will-o-Wisp to harmlessly hover directly next to his head, Rika cautiously called out, "Who's there? . . . Is someone singing?" If they were an enemy, this pool he had sunk himself into would make mobility in melee combat incredibly difficult, particularly due to his choice of weapon. He would have to stay alert and be ready for any sort of attack being launched at him.
  6. Darth_Slaverus

"... You!"

In an instant, Flayre had tucked her mirror away in the pocket of her coat, stirred from her fit of vanity by an all-too familiar voice. The Great Fairy never forgot a voice, least of all one that had slighted her. Rika, the insufferable child she had met mere hours ago, had been the last person she had expected or wanted to encounter in this miserable abyss. It was tempting to lash out at him, to give her unfocused anger and frustration a target to be unleashed upon. Yet, in the end, her predilection for social interaction won out over her distaste. Unpleasant though he may have been, he was alive. Fluid, expressive. Company. And in this utterly empty void, any company was good company.

Indeed, the more she considered her options, the more she realized that there were pragmatic reasons to treat with the Kokiri, as well. As convenient as his timing was, Flayre knew that he could not possibly be behind her entrapment. The Great Deku Tree may have possessed the knowledge to create prisons like as this, but he would never have entrusted a lowly Kokiri with such secrets. Nor was he in league with Ganon or whoever had constructed this fiendish place, or else he would not have inquired as to who was singing. He would have known, if he had lured her here deliberately.

No, Rika was a potential ally, as far as she was concerned. He had mentioned a desire to see the portal closed... and presumably, to see its creator destroyed. That meant they shared a common purpose, at least for now. And if he too was having difficulty navigating this desolate dimension alone, then it might be mutually beneficial to travel together. Escape was certain to be no easy task, even for one as talented as her.

So be it.

"Rika! Is that you, dear? Come hither! Follow my voice! Hurry!" Flayre exclaimed, hoping that her singing had weakened the unseen barrier which dampened all noise.
  7. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

". . . Flayre?" Rika questioned, his guard dropping slightly. "Is that you? You're. . . still alive?" He puzzled to himself-hopefully not loud enough that Flayre was able to hear it-, his expression turning somewhat shocked. If she was here though, that means they both entered at relatively the same spot, which meant she had not progressed forward at all. Yet, Flayre had at least an hour's head start on Rika, so what was she doing all this time? With his guard lowered, Rika glanced down to see the tip of a rope sticking out of the foul liquid; the luggage had had brought with him, to doubt. With a forceful tug, the bag of preserved goods slowly slid out of the sludge, before flinging over his shoulder. "I'll be right there." He called out, trudging his way through. Frankly, he had little idea where he was going due to the darkness, and it was difficult to follow her voice precisely in such an open area. Despite that, he knew that Flayre could likely see him, though he probably appeared to be a firefly in the dark from where she was.

It was hard to tell if the voice was getting louder, as the area was like a vacuum that dulled all sound. As he inched closer and closer, he found himself face to face with a statue. It caught him by surprise, but his excitement died down as he realized it was a replica of Flayre. Glancing up, he could see the Great Fairy's legs extending downward, her feet resting just beside Rika's head. Though it appeared as if he was looking up to Flayre, the darkness prevented any further indecent up-skirt views. ". . . Why haven't you moved from here?" Rika questioned as he moved his Will-o-Wisp closer toward Flayre to get a better look at the Great Fairy- though the light was dull, it provided enough to at least provide an outline for Rika to see. For someone who was so eager to reach this destination and save the world as a hero of justice or whatever she had said- Rika hadn't really paid much attention-, she didn't seem to have acted much on it. Not that Rika was surprised, of course, it was the exact behavior he expected out of a self-righteous fairy.

Regardless of her answer, Rika begrudgingly added, "Well, anyway, we should get moving, we're on a time limit." The last person he wanted to be trapped in this place with was her, but there was nothing he could do about it now.
  8. Darth_Slaverus

Flayre had known Rika's little wisp for all of five seconds, and already she preferred its company to that of the tactless Kokiri. At least it injected some life into the locale with its scant light. It was welcome in her presence. Rika's inane questions were not. Whom did he think he was, to cast aspersions on her competence so readily? He, who knew nothing of the trials she had endured?

The list of sharp-tongued retorts brewing in the back of her mind was quite long indeed, and Flayre had to make a herculean effort not to utter them. No, that was what internal monologue was for. Rather than stoop to his uncouth level, she would put him in his place with words alone.

Composing herself, Flayre crossed her legs and tilted her head upward, a wistful yet serene expression crawling across her features. "Ah... Historically, I have outlived most of my enemies, Rika. I am not so easily slain. And as for why I have not moved... Who says I haven't?" Drawing her wand, the Great Fairy tapped the head of each of the statues she had created in turn, before turning her gaze to Rika.

"I *have* been reconnoitering the area, actually. I created these sculptures with magic, in order to mark which directions I have already explored. Not so far that I wouldn't be able to find my way back, of course. Plumbing the depths of this dimension is a risky proposition... Push too far, and you'll be wandering forever. It's time-consuming work, as I'm sure you can imagine. My plan was to leapfrog forward in short bursts, creating a new set of statues each time I advanced. Why, I was just about to move on when I heard a splash." Flayre arched an eyebrow and gave Rika a wry smile.

"Naturally, I thought that the presence of another nearby was a good sign, be they friend or foe. An ally is an ally, and if it were an enemy, they could be interrogated. So, I elected to stay here and draw you to me. After all, it would have been folly to go out looking for you, don't you agree? We'd never have found each other! Sight and sound alike are... unreliable, in this place. But here you are, courtesy of my song!"

The part about having a plan to make her way through this hideous place had been a bald-faced lie, but frankly, Flayre was confident she would have thought of it eventually, given how quickly it had come to her. Her ingenuity always shone through when she was seemingly backed into a corner. In any event, Rika surely had no reason to believe she had been anything but in total control this entire time.

Rousing herself from her perch to hover beside Rika, Flayre tilted her head curiously as she noticed the large sack he had shouldered... and the absence of his pet. "Oh, before you ask, I did not see anything of note on my earlier expeditions, but I'm certain there must be a clue close by. Armies do not pass without trace. What's in that sack there? Where is Wollo?"

Perhaps the beast of burden had simply deserted the Kokiri. Flayre wouldn't have blamed him for doing so; she almost pitied the poor creature for having such a foul-mouthed master.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  9. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

"Ah. . . I suppose so." Rika commented as she drew her wand, his voice heavy with suspicion. Did she HAVE enemies? Rika certainly found her annoying, but that likely wasn't the type of enemy she was referring to. Could she even fight? It was true that Great Fairies typically possessed mastery over strong magics, and she had demonstrated an assortment of fancy parlor tricks so far, but typically they were supportive, healing magic. Though, if she did, perhaps that was how she survived. Rika pondered this as she explained what she had been doing.

. . . Does that really accomplish anything? It was better than standing in place doing nothing, he supposed, which would be an utter waste of time. She was at least cautious, which inadvertently confirmed in Rika's mind that she would not prove useful in a fight. Was that why she was singing, to draw whatever had fallen to her? If that were the case, Rika's opinion changed- she was definitely reckless, especially if she was useless in a battle like Rika assumed. Rika shrugged at her words. "I suppose. You're lucky it was me." He said as she hovered to his side and inquired about other things. If her singing is why they found one another, perhaps it would have been better if she didn't.

"Ah, these are rations. It would be foolish to enter this place without a source of food; it is impossible to know how long I will be here for or if anything on this side is edible." He explained in a somewhat judgmental tone as he held up the sack, glancing back at it as he did. "As for Wollo, I left him behind. I did not know what to expect in here, so it was too dangerous to bring him along. He would have hated this place anyway, he hates the dark." Rika mused, chuckling slightly at the thought. He paused for a moment, before bluntly spitting out, ". . . I know you didn't bring any food. Are you an idiot or something?" He sighed, adding, "I didn't want you taking any of my food, so I prepared rations for you in here as well." Rika was getting tired of standing around and talking, though his eyes were beginning to adjust to the darkness around him.
  10. Darth_Slaverus

Taken aback by Rika's explanation of what his sack contained, Flayre's eyes went wide with astonishment. Was he... offering her tribute? The Great Fairy was left momentarily speechless, struggling to avoid gaping in awe. He had brought her food. Food meant... flavour. And in this bland, awful void, she would do anything, anything at all, for something that would stimulate her senses. Even the most poorly prepared slop tasted like SOMETHING. She had to have it. It didn't matter if it was stale, or rotten, or poisoned.

She. Had. To. Have. It.

Mouth watering, Flayre's features softened, and she felt an emotion she had never imagined she would experience again, long absent in her callous heart.

Gratitude?

"Why... thank you, Rika. That was very thoughtful of you." Gone was her seething anger, vanishing in the face of Rika's generosity. In the blink of an eye, the Great Fairy's infamous mood swings had struck again- only this time, her spirits had not deteriorated, but rather improved. In fact, such was the magnitude of her newfound gratitude that she was not even bothered by the rude manner in which Rika had presented his gift, which ordinarily would have driven her into an inconsolable rage. Just this once, she would choose to overlook his insult, pretending it was an indicator of exasperated concern for her safety.

Sighing, Flayre briefly scanned the darkness once more, then favoured Rika's bag with a hungry stare. "I admit it was careless to rush ahead. But in my defense, the monsters pouring out of this dimension MUST have a staging area nearby. An army marches on its stomach, after all... I did not want to deprive the brave Hylians of even the smallest amount of supplies. I thought I might be able to forage food and drink beyond the portal, perhaps even steal some of the enemy's. Besides, I cannot imagine that the fiends' base of operations is too far from here... else they would have to trek miles just to invade Hyrule." Her pride prevented her from simply accepting fault without an excuse to absolve her, but that was the closest thing to an apology the Kokiri was going to get.
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  11. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

W. . .What? Was she grateful? Rika was caught completely taken aback by her rather tame and pleasing reaction. He expected at best something akin to how he was a good boy, raised well by his fairy, and at worst how he should have as it is what is expected as the -right- thing to do. Certainly had he not expected genuine thankfulness to come from her, causing the Kokiri to withdraw slightly out of a combination of embarrassment and shock. As she continued speaking, however, it was a perfect excuse to continue the conversation and push past this feeling.

"I wasn't sure how reliable that was, but that is what I believed at first too- that they had a base located here that acted as the origin point for the monsters pouring into Hyrule. However, I don't believe that to be the case- I have a hard time believing anything lives in this horrifying darkness. Finding the gateway between the two dimensions would be near impossible, as this place sucks in all light without prejudice," Rika motioned at the flickering wisp hovering in front of him as he spoke, "and plus, the portal appears to be some distance in the sky. so they could certainly not transport a large squadron of forces through." He concluded, nodding his head as he finished speaking. "If that is the case, I wonder if this place is even connected at all. . . " Rika questioned, his voice tense and somewhat irritated by the thought, before he quickly and harshly blurted out, "No, that's impossible. This portal showed up at the same time as the outbreak of monsters, and there is certainly powerful magic at work. There is something important here, there has to be," He convinced himself, though perhaps it was simply his inability to accept that he had made the wrong decision coming here and was wasting him time.

Pausing for a moment, a thick silence loomed in the air, giving Rika an unsettling feeling, though that was more due to what he would have to do next. Closing his eyes, Rika began to assemble a map of the immediate area, the pieces slowly coming together in his mind. He was honestly frightened to see the results of this, as he expected it to be inconclusive, which meant they were surrounded by nothing. He clenched his eyes, his teeth tightening against one another as his suspicions were confirmed- nothing. Slowly, Rika opened his eyes, his voice hiding a hint of shock as he added, ". . . There's. . . nothing. Nothing at all in the immediate area." This was honestly the first time this had ever happened to Rika; no matter where he was, there was always something that showed up on his proverbial radar, so a clear mental map left him feeling uncomfortable and lost for the first time in his life. "I think we should move. We won't accomplish anything here." At the very least, he would have no issues getting turned around here; while the darkness was disorienting, Rika could always tell where they had gone and which direction they needed to go in to return.
  12. Darth_Slaverus

"Nothing? Nothing at all?" Flayre repeated incredulously, her voice low. That was the last thing she had wanted to hear. Granted, the Great Fairy was not convinced she should trust whatever method Rika was using to divine their surroundings, considering he had been hopelessly lost in the mountains when she had first met him, but it was still demoralizing to listen to such grim rhetoric. Mind you, she could not deny that there was a certain logic to his little theory that the hordes of monsters had not sprung forth from this hellish realm, but rather from somewhere else altogether... Was this all an elaborate ruse, a feint intended to lure entire regiments to their dooms? Something about that did not sit well with her. Why, then, would the monsters bother to defend the portal so staunchly? Why not simply let the Hylians waltz in and die, cut off from any outside support? Unless this really WAS all about capturing her, as she had previously surmised...

One thing was clear... Whoever had engineered this catastrophe was quite the chessmaster, too clever by half. But this game was far from over. No matter how many schemes the Dark King hatched, the Queen was the most powerful piece. Her gambit was certain to pay dividends once she escaped from here and sealed the portal.

Silently vowing to avenge this humiliating setback in a spectacularly violent fashion, Flayre opened her mouth to concur with Rika's assessment that they should forge ahead, only to be paralyzed by dismay as something unexpected caught her eye. Raising a shaking finger to indicate the anomaly, the Great Fairy slowly turned to the Kokiri.

"Rika... If there truly is nothing in our immediate vicinity... Then what is THAT?"

In the near distance, if space could truly be quantified in this nightmarish dimension, an unnaturally large arm had risen from the silvery muck, illuminated by a beam of pale white light that shone down from above. Its flesh was ashen, as if drained of all blood, but otherwise unsullied by any signs of injury or decay. For a moment it was still, then it opened its palm and beckoned to the unlikely duo, gesturing for them to approach. Then, just as it quickly as it had materialized, the disembodied limb was gone, slithering back into the murky depths from whence it had come. Its makeshift spotlight faded alongside it, leaving all in darkness once more.

"Did you see that? How ghastly!" Flayre remarked, disgusted by the bizarre spectacle. She hoped the foul thing would not resurface beside her statues... having her likenesses groped by a giant hand would be an unforgivable slight against the beauty she had tried so hard to introduce to this hellhole!

However... That was the first glimpse of any life native to this plane she had seen since arriving, which was an encouraging sign. Very few beings were completely solitary... If they advanced in the direction the arm had indicated, it might lead them to other creatures. Even if it led them into an ambush, it would still be better than gallivanting about by themselves. Besides, if Rika hadn't been able to sense the arm through magical means, it was likely some form of veil had been placed over this realm, rendering such spells useless.

"... Loathe as I am to suggest it, perhaps we should play along, at least for now. The light that accompanied that... appendage... intrigues me. It might take us somewhere. Shall we?" Fluttering her wings, Flayre steadily drifted toward the spot the arm had emerged from, glancing over her shoulder at Rika for any hint of dissent.
  13. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

His attention drawn to the revolted look on Flayre's face- perhaps the first time he saw a look not befitting her facade-, his eyes followed her trembling, extended finger to the subject of its fright. Rika's eyes widened in horror as he saw it; a sickly, elongated pale hand reaching out from the muck below, as if it was struggling to stay afloat. "W. . . What?" Rika mouthed, his brain trying to comprehend what he was seeing; had he completely misjudged this place? Within a couple moments, the tense atmosphere came to a head as the arm sank back from where it had come, leaving the duo more confused than they initially were.

"T-That was. . ." Rika mumbled, trying to come to any conclusion. He could not believe anything would live here- was it even alive?-, but there was so much he did not understand that he could not deny the possibility. Perhaps, though, it was not alive at all. A sickly, pale hand beckoning one to their doom, Rika knew of a monster matching this profile perfectly; undead abominations called Dead Hands, a horrifying and disgusting sort of monster that lured its targets into a false sense of security with a single arm extending from underground, then enrapturing them and devouring them alive while they struggled to escape. It would not be the first time he encountered such an enemy, but it was something he had a clear distaste for. Rika was unsure if even undead creatures roamed these lands, but he could not dismiss it just yet. If they did, this was a particularly nasty place for it; the Dead Hand could submerge its victims in the harsh sludge and drown them, making its battle of consumption far deadlier than before.

"Flayre." Rika called out to the Great Fairy, his voice hushed yet holding a sense of urgency. "I need you to hold the sack of rations." he commanded, speaking very tensely as he removed the sack from his shoulder before even receiving her response. Despite ordering her to do something, his voice did not hold the distaste she might have expected out of Rika previously, which might have come as a surprise to Rika himself were he not so focused on the drifting arm they had witnessed. Following that, Rika gripped his scythe in a combat ready position, and called out to Flayre, "Let's go." If it wasn't a monster, Rika was certainly intrigued by what it might be, but there was too little he knew to simply assume otherwise.
  14. Darth_Slaverus

Today was turning out to be full of surprises, Flayre mused. In the past minute alone, she had witnessed a twofold sequence of events she would never have imagined in her wildest dreams: She had been propositioned by an unsightly disembodied hand... and Rika had actually entreated her for her aid properly. Admittedly, being asked to carry a bag was a rather mundane use of her awesome powers, and were it not for his obvious desperation the Great Fairy might have chided him for making such a base request. Still, she supposed he had at least tried to observe the necessary rites by bringing her an offering... and the task was agreeable to her, for it would put the food she craved within her grasp. She would wait for an opportune moment, then steal a bite when he wasn't looking- a most ladylike nibble that would surely go unnoticed.

"Very well. That is a Desire I can easily- Oof!" Wearing a disarming smile to mask her gluttonous intentions, Flayre reached out to take the bag off of Rika's hands, only to practically double over under its weight. "J-Just how much food did you pack?!" Was the Kokiri planning on celebrating their inevitable victory with a feast? She could barely lift the cumbersome sack! While she was personally fond of the idea of holding a banquet amid the darkness as a gesture of defiance, having to transport the required provisions on her person was supremely inconvenient. Why hadn't Rika brought Wollo? Wasn't carrying things his entire purpose?

Sullenly shouldering the sack with a tremendous effort, Flayre soldiered on behind Rika as he set off in the direction the arm had indicated, spurred on by the prospect of a meal in the near future. It occurred to her that she could lighten the load by partaking of the sack's culinary delights, and her gaze drifted toward Rika's back. Really, she reasoned, doing so would be beneficial to their efforts. A well-fed mind was a productive one, and the last thing she wanted was to be burdened by the bag if they were met with opposition. Her aerial mobility would be hampered by its weight, and dropping it was out of the question, as it might spill and taint the contents. That settled it.

Returning her wand to her hip, Flayre fumbled with the sack, trying to loosen it so that she might dip her hand inside. Eating this very moment was the only sensible option!

No sooner had she arrived at this conclusion, however, than she spied an all-too familiar sight that quelled her appetite.

It was almost humorous, she realized. She had seen this before... mere hours ago, in fact. It had not bothered her then, and she couldn't seem to put a finger on why it did now. There, just ahead of her and her unlikely companion, was a discoloured lump wreathed in moonlight- the corpse of a Hylian knight. When had it appeared? She was certain that, moments earlier, there had only been the vast expanse of darkness in front of them. An inexplicable sense of dread loomed over her, and the Great Fairy dared not venture any closer.

"Hark... Another victim of this campaign."
  15. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

"This is. . . " The Kokiri mouthed, moving closer to examine the body. He was not sure why, but something about this left an abominable, repulsive feeling in the pit of his stomach. He had just seen a massacre of Hylian soldiers no more than a few hours ago, and he had not even batted an eye at such a display, but there was something different about this. Their hand was reaching up, as if they were desperately calling for someone- anyone- to save them from the agonizingly horrific fate they had met. Just how exactly had they perished? Their flesh was an empty, pale white, like the moonlight they were so shockingly missing. Yet, despite that, it did not seem like they had any external injuries; their armor, emblazoned with the crest befitting Hylian soldiers, seemed to be completely free of any penetrations or dents, and their skin lacked any wounds or blood, dried or otherwise.

Rika had a hard time imagining that someone would meet their end from the temperatures here- it was discomforting and Rika certainly was not pleased by it, but any able-bodied individual should be able to resist such a climate, which, despite his distaste for soldiers, was a classification they generally fell under. It was then that Rika came to his own realization, just why exactly this rubbed him so wrong- it was exactly what he had just analyzed. The fact that their death was so mysterious, so alien, so. . . so inhumane was shocking and wrong. If they had been clearly slaughtered, Rika would likely have hardly drawn any attention to it, but it was something different, like the very life had been drained from their bodies, leaving them as nothing more than a husk. This was not even something Rika could say he was interested in exploring- such a horrific tactic was not something he wanted to employ. He would have to examine the body further, though, if he wanted to determine its causal agent at all.

This place was truly horrific.
  16. Darth_Slaverus

Like a good little footman, Rika went to inspect the body in her stead. Even when it became apparent that the corpse would not spring to life and attack whomever approached it, Flayre nonetheless maintained her distance, fearing that whatever gruesome fate had befallen the soldier might somehow spread to her like a plague. Already she could feel a knot forming in her chest, and she could hear inaudible whispers, a scratching at the back of her mind...

What? She couldn't make out the words, but... Something was very, very wrong. The disquieting fact that she was hearing voices notwithstanding, Rika was taking entirely too long to report on what he had seen. If the nature of the dead man's demise was so unspeakable that the Kokiri could not even describe it, then danger was almost certainly imminent.

"Rika!" Flayre called out sharply, hoping to drag the boy out of his doldrums. "What is it? What is he-"

She never got to finish the sentence, as she was abruptly struck by a blinding flash of light, prompting her to shield her eyes with her free hand. When her vision cleared and she pulled her hand away, the words died in her throat.

Where once there had been a single corpse, now there was a trail of them, leading deeper into the darkness. Each body was spotlit by a beam of moonlight, and more eerily, all of them had been laid out in a manner identical to the first, as if it had been reflected in a mirror many times over. Dumbfounded, Flayre could only stare in dismay, her mouth agape.

Now she knew this place was toying with her perceptions, and that frightened her more than she cared to admit.
  17. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

"This is. . ." He turned to answer Flayre, his concentration broken by her interjection, but all he was met with was the horrified look across her face. "What-" Rika cut himself off as he turned towards the direction Flayre's gaze had been cast. "What the hell. . . ?" was all he could mutter. Stumbling to his feet, Rika rushed over to the next body to examine it. And the next one. And the next one. He wasn't sure what he was expecting to find- they were all the same. Empty, colorless flesh, vacant eyes. They were all the same. He had come to notice that even their armor was stripped of any color painting its surface as well, along with any other sort of item or gear he could ascertain from his hurried glances across their visages. He stared in disbelief at the body for a few moments, and then, he began.

He was not sure why he was doing what he was about to- perhaps he was investigating a theory on why they were so pale despite the impracticality of hypothermia, or maybe he wanted to see some semblance of color, anything to show any sort of life. Drawing one of his daggers from their sheaths, Rika hastily tore at the joints connecting the soldier's breastplate, tearing it off and throwing it off to the side. Stripping through the cloth undershirt, Rika hovered his blade above the soldier's bare chest for a brief few moments, as if he had a moment of hesitation at what he was about to do- as if he was afraid of what he would find.

Then, his blade slowly made its way down, its tip dragging across the soldier's chest and lightly slicing into the flesh. He awaited the all too familiar trickle of blood that generally resulting from doing something like that- really, it would be comforting at this moment. Yet, there was nothing. A panic sounded in Rika's mind as he plunged the dagger into the soldier's stomach. Nothing left the wound. Sliding his dagger out, the blade was clean of any blood or deformities you would expect from something that just pierced a Hylian's intestines.

He did something even he didn't expect. Perhaps it was desperation or panic at what he was seeing that caused him to. Jabbing his hand into the newly formed cut he had just caused, rather than feeling blood, Rika found himself feeling something else. It was squishy, and malleable, but almost gelatinous, like it had some sort of solidity to it. And, peering down at what was resting against his fingertips, he confirmed his doubts- against is pleas- that it was not blood- blood was red, and sticky. This was more akin to soft chunks, and it was just like the flesh and gear that had made up the soldier's visage- completely empty and void.

The Kokiri fell onto his rear, splashing in the murky liquid. His head fell back, an incredulous grin falling on his face as a light chuckle escaped his lips. "What the fuck. . . " He couldn't help but audibly let out. This place was something else.
  18. Darth_Slaverus

What cruel joke was this? During Rika's initial period of insufferableness, his voice had been gratingly clear and strong... But now that he was actually tolerable, this place had seen fit to strip him of it! Oh, woe was Flayre, never to be blessed with a reliable companion! Minara, her fellow fairies, the cults, Kryssie, and now Rika... Untrustworthy, the lot of them! Those that hadn't been outright perfidious had been the very definition of incompetent! Flayre shuddered in anger. She had deigned to give this foolish Kokiri the benefit of the doubt, and how was she repaid? With silence. The rapport he had built with her was rapidly decaying, and she reached for her wand to remind him that she was deserving of respect.

Her malice proved premature, however, as Rika suddenly roused himself and charged forward, prompting a startled cry from the Great Fairy.

"Rika, wait!"

Launching into action, Flayre tailed the Kokiri as he raced from corpse to corpse, finally coming to a halt as Rika stopped to kneel next to one of the bodies, brandishing a knife. Half-fascinated, half-confused, she watched in mounting bewilderment as her companion cut the fallen soldier's breastplate loose before removing their shirt and dissecting them with his blade. Had the boy taken leave of his senses entirely, his mind succumbing at last to the omnipresent shadows? She would not have minded the mutilation, but what was there to gain from it? As Rika pulled back from his gruesome handiwork and collapsed into the muck in giggling fit, Flayre allowed herself to drift downwards to see if she could divine his purpose herself.

... No, it couldn't be!

There, in the soldier's now-exposed chest cavity, a sight far more nauseating than any amount of fresh gore awaited Flayre's eyes: Nothingness. No blood. No offal. No colour. No maggots. No smell. The Great Fairy reeled in profound horror, now armed with the knowledge that the architect of this place was of an evil many magnitudes greater than even that of the Golden Goddesses. She understood the value of tormenting her foes, in relishing their suffering... But as vindictive as she could be, as spiteful as she could be, Flayre would never have inflicted... THIS. To destroy a person's identity so utterly, to drain them of everything that made them unique... She would not have wished this fate upon even her worst enemy, for what glory was there in triumphing over the faceless, the nameless? It was just so... meaningless...

And Rika had the GALL to find this amusing?

"Stupid boy! Compose yourself! This is no laughing matter!" Flayre shouted, her eyes wild and her nostrils flared. She pointed to the ravaged cadaver with a trembling finger. "They're dead. Everything that made them individuals is gone, siphoned away by this darkness. It's as if they were never alive to begin with. This is no way to die..." She shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. It wasn't like her to be so emotional over the fate of another, but something about the nature of the soldiers' deaths disturbed her to the very core of her being. The power of the void was so diametrically opposed to her own that witnessing it made her ill.

"This... This tragedy must be avenged."
  19. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Too busy still reeling and winding down from what he had just witnessed, the fact that the supposedly good-natured Flayre did not seem to react to the mutilation of a corpse went virtually unnoticed by Rika. Her violent roars caused Rika to come back to reality, and though normally he would be rather irate by her harsh tongue, in this moment he didn't seem to take much offense. "You should compose yourself, as well. Getting angry will accomplish little." He glanced back down at the corpse. "This is horrific, but that is why it is crucial we examine it and we know, because this could happen to us. . . " He trailed off as he contemplated such a vile fate. While Rika was never one who seriously considered the possibility of his own demise, a cruel and humiliating fate like this was something that genuinely disturbed him. "But. . ." He added, trailing over his words in his head, "What caused this? Is this. . . just what happens here, when you die? Or did something cause this- what -could- cause this?" He wasn't sure what was worse to imagine, a soul draining dimension where the dead are stripped of any sign they were once a being that lived and of any identity they once possessed, or the horrifying monster that possessed an ability to inflict that on people- and acted on it.

The question nagged at his mind, what were the origins of this. Not because of any sense of revenge, like what Flayre seemed to have clenching her heart- though he did feel pity for those who had met this fate-, and not even due to a morbid curiosity which he was prone to have, at least not entirely. No, it was something different, something he had not found himself often thinking- disbelief. The idea that something could, and would do this seemed absolutely preposterous to him.

Finally bringing himself to his feet, Rika stared at the seemingly endless stream of bodies ahead of him. At this point, there was likely little purpose to examining each one in minute detail.
  20. Darth_Slaverus

"This is horrific, but that is why it is crucial we examine it and we know, because this could happen to us. . . "

Could happen to us...? Could happen to HER?

The sentence was a simple warning, a reminder to stay alert in the face of adversity. It should have been comforting. But to the already-agitated Flayre, Rika's words of wisdom were like a freshly sharpened blade, slicing through the delicate butter that was her ego, and the Great Fairy recoiled as if she'd been struck.

"NO!" She shrieked, frantically glancing from left to right, desperately searching for their unseen foe. "No..." She repeated breathlessly, perhaps realizing that her sudden increase in volume only served to make her appear unhinged. "Th-This... cannot happen to me. It won't. I cannot allow it. I will not allow it, do you hear?" No longer addressing anyone in particular, Flayre defiantly raised her gaze to meet the darkness and threw her arms wide. "I am Flayre! The Great Fairy of Desire, exalted among mortals and immortals alike! It is not my destiny to fall here, in this... this... void! I am radiant! I am passion! I am life! I AM PERFECTION INCARNATE, AND NONE MAY CHALLENGE ME!"

Having worked herself up into a lather, Flayre's brief attempt at maintaining a hushed tone evaporated, replaced by a contemptuous bravado. As her tirade reached its climax, the indecipherable whispering in her head grew louder, and she instinctively drew her coat tighter around her, letting the food sack drop as she fumbled for her wand. What were those infernal voices trying to say? And when had it gotten so cold? Flayre blinked, and for the half-second her eyes were closed, she saw a flash of pure white instead of the usual blackness.

Snow? Shaking her head, the Great Fairy vigilantly scanned her surroundings for what must have been the fortieth time today. She had no time to entertain hallucinations... Her boastful taunt would surely invite reprisal, which she was counting on. She had to be ready for an attack from any direction.

However, as fate would have it, it came from a location Flayre had neglected to consider: Directly below her, the silvery fluid parted to reveal a pallid hand much like the one she and Rika had previously encountered, albeit slightly smaller in size. With blinding speed, the hand shot upwards, apparently unhindered by gravity as it latched onto her ankle, its grip like iron as it tried to tug her downwards, toward the sludge.

"UNHAND ME, BEAST!" With an ear-piercing scream of renewed fury, Flayre lashed out with a Wind spell, courtesy of her wand. Yet though the strange creature was buffeted by the deadly gale at point-blank range, it did not relent, refusing to relinquish its hold on the Great Fairy even as the gusts tore open several wounds across its long, pale fingers. Distressingly, these injuries did not bleed or otherwise show any sign of being anything more than superficial damage, not unlike the body Rika had vivisected.

To make matters worse, the surface of the silver sea was stirring- more disembodied limbs were rising from the depths, intent on seizing the two intruders for whatever demented purpose their creator had in mind.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016