Magic Medallions

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Idarian, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Idarian

Idarian Imperator of Known Space reg

I'm actually rather surprised that these aren't in the Library as Major Treasures, already, but what about the Bombos, Ether, and Quake medallions from A Link to the Past?

It occurs to me that they might have been deliberately omitted for balance reasons, but I figured I might put it out there.
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

They were omitted mostly for balance reasons, yes. Plus Din's Fire has effectively the same result as the Bombos Medallion.

Ether and Quake are more possible, but it isn't immediately aware how they should work while being balanced. The prior freezes solid the vast majority of enemies in the area, while the latter turns most enemies into pathetic slimes. The latter is the same reason the Spell Spell from Adventure of Link isn't around wasn't around until 2016.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  3. Darth_Slaverus

Darth_Slaverus Member vet

While I do agree with Guy that we'd need to determine how the Medallions worked IRP before implementing them, I would note that Spell Spell DOES exist in the Library, albeit as a "once-per-dungeon per Magic Power level" treasure (although even then, it seems absurdly powerful).
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Oh, that's true. I forgot I added Spell Spell a little while ago, when I added Din's Fire and a couple other similarly powerful canon treasures. I imagine if Bombos, Ether, or Quake were to be added in a form similar to their canonical counterparts, they would need to follow similar PerQuest restrictions as Spell Spell and Din's Fire. Either that, or they would need to be made Major Treasures with shorter-but-still-impractical cooldowns, like Thunder or Din's Lance.

(You may not that these both can be used once per "quest or dungeon," which is meant to imply they cannot be used in places like the arena. In retrospect that could be made a little more clear.)