Luck of the Draw [Cloud and Ink]

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Electronic Ink, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Electronic Ink

Electronic Ink local zora vet

-Julius (4/1/4): Goron Iron (-32r), a weapon for Yuku (3x Ice Gems, Splinter Crystal, Piece of Power, Tune Crystal), 2 Commshells (-149r total)
    -Yuku (2/3/3): +50r
    Castle Town was alive in its bustle, the words of the street’s inhabitants blending together like some bizarre tongue that sounded foreign to any set of ears, even as the occasional recognisable word leaped out at them. Folk of all races milled about, animated in their excitement. Gorons stomped about gossiping about the latest rock delicacies, Hylians dug in their wallets for the money they needed to pay for their newest delight, and one particular Zora was dipping into pouches and bags to fetch every scrap worth value that she could.

She squirrelled away her meagre gains into the satchel hanging over her shoulder, a jumble of rupees and trinkets and whatever would stick to the tentacles she’d snatched with collecting at the bottom of the bag. She kept her head low and her mouth shut as she worked her way through the crowds pilfering whatever she could get her limbs on.

Yuku halted sharply when she saw the knot of guards gathering around one particular shop, milling about excitedly, and she quickly made herself look as innocent as possible as she wandered closer to find out what all the fuss was.
    “Excuse me,” the young Zora asked carefully, “what’s happening here? Is there Guard business here?”
    “Oh, no,” the guard laughed. “No, Captain Surgate is having a giveaway, and we all know how excellent his works are,”

Yuku...didn’t actually know how excellent his works were. The name sounded vaguely familiar to the Zora but she’d never been involved in these kinds of circles. “I’m caught between saying you should enter and not wanting to lessen my chances,” the guard winked.

“For a weapon as good as you’re talking?” Yuku replied, a smile twitching on her face, “I’d enter that any day. Do you have to pay to enter?”
    “Nope,” the guard shrugged. “It’s an incredible chance. Whoever wins is walking away happy, that’s for sure,”

Yuku might have been a conservative thief now, but that part of her that had once downed shots of Goron Lavawater and thrown rupees into a pot was still alive, and given that there was absolutely no risk to her, why the hell not?

“How do I enter?”
    “Attagirl,” the guard grinned. “Just write your name on a bit of paper and drop it in that pot. Don’t write it more than once though. That’s cheating.”

Yuku scrawled her name out on the paper and, muttering a quick prayer to Nayru (was competition Nayru’s domain? Who knew), dropped it into the pot. She bit her lip, moving back to stand beside the guard, illogically antsy that he’d want to see in her bag of stolen items.

“You fight much?” the guard asked.
    “More than I thought I would,” Yuku laughed shortly. “Gotten into a few scraps on my travels. Something a little better than this rusty old thing would be handy,” she gestured to the badly waterproofed sword hanging from her belt.

“Well, good luck,” the guard said. “I hope I win, to be honest. Having a Surgate weapon is something of a mark of distinction amongst my crowd,”
    “Good luck to you, too,” Yuku smiled.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2019
  2. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    Julius looked upon the crowd gathered in front of his home. He had an assortment of weapons set out to be perused by whoever won.

He had said that ten would win. Ten weapons weren't a particularly huge deal; sure, it would be quite the order, but he felt it would serve them well. "Alright!" He shouted, quieting the hustle and bustle of the Military District down. He would say that nearly all the off-duty Knights and Guardsmen were here; from Gorons, to Zora, to even Rito, rare as they were. Yes. This would suit him quite well.

"You know how it goes. I reach in, pull out one name at a time. If you get called, come over here." He reached in, and pulled out a name. He read it. Then, he repeated the process again and again, even calling the Guardsman that Yuku had talked to.

"Yuku!" He had called all the names. "To those of you who were hoping to get a weapon-- choose carefully." He dismissed the crowd. They would have to commission a weapon from him if they really wanted one.

He laid his eyes on Yuku, who... while looking, clearly wasn't the most experienced at this. Julius sighed, and approached her. "So, got a lot of battles left in you, huh? I respect that. Here, let me choose an easy one for you."

He lifted an especially heavy polearm from the shelf. "This isn't meant for combat, but the concept is relatively simple: stick the other guy with the point bit at the top." He didn't hand it to her yet; no, this was likely far too heavy for the girl. No, he would need to construct something special for her. "Alright! Everyone decided on what they want?"

Nods from the few people were had. "Good." Julius set out to work on the equipment, not caring who stayed or who left.
  3. Electronic Ink

Holy.
    Nayru.
    Yuku stared in disbelief as the tough-looking Hylian called her name. She was frankly astounded he'd actually managed to read her half-assed scrawl of handwriting, and then it caught up to her. She'd actually managed to win something? She hadn't done that for years now, and she was fairly sure her old manager had rigged it last time. The guard who's been standing beside her had offered a brisk nod before all but launching himself into the shop with a zeal Yuku hadn't seen since that drummer guy had upended the drinks table in his excitement.

Well. She'd kind of failed at not being noticed, anyway. Making sure her bag was securely buckled shut- it'd be a hilariously awful way to be caught if it fell open while she was inside- she meandered into the shop, keeping her tentacles behind her so she didn't whack anything off the shelves. These were all so...fancy! She tried lifting a sword with a swooping tang and almost amputated her own leg as soon as it cleared the shelf. Yikes, these were heavy! She ended up having to hoist the blade with her knee to get it back where it belonged, and she backed guiltily away from the shelf, hoping nobody had noticed.

"So, got a lot of battles left in you, huh? I respect that. Here, let me choose an easy one for you."

Yuku jumped as the shop's owner came over and plucked a polearm from the shelf. "This isn't meant for combat, but the concept is relatively simple: stick the other guy with the point bit at the top."
    "
    I think I can do that," she joked, sounding more watery than she'd have preferred. She followed after the Hylian as the store slowly emptied, the victors carrying their chosen weapons with delight on their faces.

"Thank you very much for this, by the way," she added guiltily to the Hylian. "I'm Yuku, lovely to meet you, Mr. Surgate,"
  4. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    "Nice meeting you too," he idly responded, finishing off the weapons necessary for his latest shipment to the Knights of Hyrule with a larger shipment being sent to the Hyrulean Guard. This included the polearm that wasn't really meant for anyone who wasn't a Guardsman or Knight to use.

What was the Gerudo saying for that again? Something along the lines of, 'Voe cannot be tempted,' or something. Whatever that meant, at least.

"So, in part I lied. This is actually meant for Guardsmen or Knight usage. But, because no one really has the strength to wield it outside of a few adventurers anyways, I call it that so no one attempts to pocket it or anything like that. So, any thoughts of what kind of weapon you'd like? I can make practically anything," he said, double-checking the weapons for any imperfections. "Including a Goron Iron-Splinter Crystal hybrid. But you're likely not nearly strong enough for that."

"Sorry if I'm using too much smithing lingo around you. It's just that Goron Iron is especially heavy, about three times the weight of iron, so it would be pretty impractical for anyone outside of, say, the Royal Guard to use." He finished checking them, and set each piece outside, ready to be collected. "Splinter Crystal is just an insanely sharp... rock, I guess? Kind of weird for me to be calling a rock sharp, but eh. There are also Elemental Gems, which I can effectively use to imbue a specific element -- or elements -- into your weapon."

"There are also things like Cold Iron and Expel Glass, but they have more limited uses. Expel Glass can effectively banish any summoned creatures, and Cold Iron will effectively eliminate the magical potency of any spellcasters, as well as dismiss any of their magical projectiles. There's also Mirror Silver, which can reflect magical projectiles. Forged a blade out of it for myself, though I'm about to start on an Expel Glass-Cold Iron sword, if only to make sure I have unparalleled protection from all things magical. So, how about it?"
  5. Electronic Ink

Yuku paused, completely and utterly wrong-footed.
    "Um," she began, "the-the Splinter Crystal sounds nice? I don't really know much about weaponsmithing, sorry," she added guiltily. "I do like to adventure, but I usually just use this,"
    She patted the hilt of her slightly rusty blade. "I'm not a particularly talented fighter, so I probably need all the magical help I can get!"
    Hopefully the self-depreciating grin would help to lessen any disdain her admission might cause, if Mr. Surgate was half the veteran he looked to be.

She turned slowly, looking at the weapons on the racks. "I'd...probably like something longer than this scimitar," she decided. "Especially in the handle. It's got a really short handle and sometimes the round bit on the end bites into my hands when I use it." She considered carefully, remembering her Nayruite friend's staff. "Maybe a staff or a spear of some kind? I've used a spear before, when I was a kid. I had a friend whose brother was a Zora knight and my friend liked to play around with his spear. I...I'm sorry, I don't know what I'm talking about," she laughed.

"I'll leave it entirely up to your judgement, really. Whatever you think would be best for a greenhorn like me. I do a bit of dungeoneering sometimes, so I'd prefer something that's optimal for fast fighting. Oh, and something I can use underwater! I've done a bit of underwater fighting and sometimes my scimitar moves too slow underwater to actually be of any use. Is there a kind of weapon that is easier to use underwater?" Wait. Spears did that. "Like a spear, again, I guess," She swept back a tentacle nervously. "I'm probably being a pain, sorry,"
  6. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    "Sorry, I should have specified that I was already going to make you a polearm. I meant to ask what type of materials you'd like on it." He went back to work, never giving himself a dull moment. "Though, from the sounds of it, it seems like a Piece of Power might be the best route."

He was already back to forging other weapons. Most of the Guardsmen and Knights already had their "dream" weapons planned, to an extent. "Anyways. A Piece of Power, and...? A Piece of Power typically goes on the markets for maybe forty rupees. Don't worry about it. That said, a Piece of Power actually does help with damage-- magically enchanting the weapon to cut deeper, pierce deeper, and so on. There's also... Tune Crystals? But I don't really know enough magical songs to really incorporate it into any of my bladework, and the Guards and Knights usually have dedicated branches of musicians, mages, or otherwise that do that sort of thing for them. Tune Crystals allow you to do that, by the way-- play magical songs. It can also be used to just give the weapon a humming property, but eh."

He pounded on steel with his hammer. Then, he decided to go into deeper detail on what exactly Pieces of Power did, and how they were used. "Pieces of Power can be used for about a minute at least. I would say that they can be used anywhere from a minute to three, but three would be pushing it in my opinion. Then, it'll lose color-- that's how you know you've expended its energy. They tend to stay like that for about an hour. Anything else... Oh, uh. I can also do work on anything you have on your person-- things like magical Boomerangs, a Ball and Chain, things like that. I also could theoretically work on, say, Crimson Granite or Memory Metal-- but I have basically no aptitude for magic, and I get the feeling that you're not really going to want anything I've got to offer on the tech side of things. Not that they aren't powerful, mind you-- just that, in the wrong hands, they could spell doom for any society given that the wielder of a weapon is especially strong."

He finished the blade, it now glowing faintly. Still hot to the touch. "Hmm." He thought some more. "That should just about cover it. But, assuming you want to go with the Piece of Power, I think I'd be able to combine one element, assuming that's the path you'd want to go. Thoughts?"
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  7. Electronic Ink

Yuku was completely and utterly lost.
    "Um," she pushed her glasses up her nose, feeling out of her depth. Maybe she'd have to pray for forgiveness for all the times she'd thought ill of those who worked on professions like this. There was a lot more to this than she'd expected. "I think the Piece of Power sounds like a good idea. I'm definitely unskilled in the power area, so I could use all the help I can get. And..." She flushed slightly, wondering if this would sound trite. "I like the idea of those song crystals. Music is kind of my thing. It would be helpful to be able to use a weapon to play magical songs and not have to worry about pulling out my guitar in the middle of a fight!"

She considered. "I don't really have anything else on me that could really be worked into a weapon."
    The doom comment was more than a little unnerving, and she hoped she hadn't turned too pale at the concept of this ever-so-casual blacksmith forging a- a knife or something that was powerful enough to destroy an entire peoples. "M-maybe let's not make something that strong, right?"

"An element?" She thought back to her trek through the Zora temple with the priestess Judith. That icy spell had been invaluable for them as they had fought their way through. Besides, ice was part of Nayru's domain. Using the element of Nayru could only help her bonds to the goddess, right? "Could you make it with ice? Is that possible?"
  8. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    "Yeah, it's certainly possible," Julius commented, working on another blade already. "Ice Gems certainly are on the market. Anyways, is that all? I'll have it done in..." He thought for a moment. Considering she wasn't nearly as experienced as him, nor a Guardsman or fellow Knight, it would certainly take a large chunk of time to make her weapon. And, if he put Splinter Crystal into it, as he guessed he would have to, it would need time to form into a proper head.

"Give me... two weeks. I've got to make the weapons for the Guardsmen and Knights, first, then I'll get to work on yours and the one other adventurer, as well as attend to my duties as a Knight of Hyrule. The head of your weapon will be forming while I work on the shaft, and then I can either melt the Ice Gems down, or put them into your weapon. I usually melt them down, though, and can only think of two weapons that don't have the gems within them melted down. The bow I made for a man called Kalvar, and my personal boomerang. They were both in a place where I couldn't get to a forge, though, and melt them down."

He thought back to Lucia. Anger welled within him. And like that, he let it go with a breath. "Even though I call it mine, it really belongs to a Kokiri named Lucia. She's-- she's in a better place now. At least, I hope she is."

"Anyways, that's about it." Julius wiped the tears in his eyes away. "Whether you want the Ice Gems melted or not, tell me when you come to pick your weapon up. It shouldn't take long-- I don't have to forge the head or anything, so I can get out of the way in about... three days? Maybe? The only thing I really have to work on is the shaft, so. Either way, just be here in two weeks."

He continued to work on the blade-- it was Goron Iron, definitely. Thin and narrow due to its weight, but he knew he'd be able to wield it. At least, he hoped he would.
  9. Electronic Ink

Two weeks in one place was a stretch for Yuku. With her nomadic lifestyle, the passing of the days began to carry with it the creeping feeling that she was going to be caught. That someone would realise one of their belongings was missing and connect its disappearance to the Zora holed up in the cheapest inn she could find. Sleeping in alleyways had turned out to be a bad idea after some Gerudo kid had tried to steal her bag, so she'd been forced to part with some of her money to stay in an inn.

She supposed she could have left town, but experience had taught her that you didn't turn your back on something you were waiting on. A watched pot boiled a lot faster than a pot that wasn't there at all because some berk had stolen it or forgotten to put it on the flame. Instead she just waited around the mildly shady establishment, breaking her solitude only to venture into the fish market for food.

When two weeks had passed- of course she hadn't been counting, that would be absurd- Yuku tidied herself up, laced her girdle, and made her way back to the Surgate shop.
    "Good morning, Mr. Surgate," she called as she knocked on the door. "It's, uh, Yuku?"
    Wouldn't it be just her luck if he'd forgotten about her?
  10. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    It was a polearm where 'elegant' would have been an understatement. Its head was shaped in the form of a conch shell, and the blade of an axe extending from it. It was notable, too, to say that its color was a deep blue, symbolizing the ocean. It was ultimately a crisp, clean halberd. Its shaft, too, was blue-- albeit several shades lighter.

A fine piece of work, if Julius could say so.

"Yes, yes, come in! I've been waiting all morning for you, you know." He remarked, this time dipping blades in vinegar. "This helps to get the slag off, after a blade's been forged. It'll have to sit for a good day or two, though. Your polearm-- it's called a halberd. Good for dismounting enemies. It's got a point where you can either stick or slice the enemy, too, so I figured this would serve you well." It was about six feet long, give or take a couple of inches.

"So, now the question is, do you want the Ice Gems melted and poured over it, or stuck on the metal holding the Splinter Crystal in place?" He asked, just now finishing up several blades.
  11. Electronic Ink

Yuku was no expert on weapons but she recognised something pretty when she saw it. It seemed kind of treacherous for a tool made for harm and killing to be as beautiful as this, but at the same time the thing was so smooth and elegant it was hard to dislike it. The shell-shaped spike at the top was so neatly shaped, the curving blades a singing blue and razor sharp.

“Oh, sweet Nayru,” she breathed. “This is the most beautiful weapon I’ve ever seen,”

The pole was maybe a little long for her at the moment, but she knew she was due a growth spurt any day now and it would be just the right height after that, surely. She stepped closer to look at the blade, the blue glinting in the light.

“Won’t the gems pop off though?” she asked after a moment. “If you just stick them on? It’d be easier to do the melting thing, right?”

She was a little worried her inexperience was shining through, but no matter. He knew what he was doing. “Thank you so much,” she said, tracing the engravings with a finger. “It looks like even poking a monster with this thing would kill it,”

She wasn’t entirely sure she was meant to touch it yet but she did anyway, picking up the halberd and feeling it settle smoothly into her hands. It was no guitar, but it still felt comfortable in her grip. There were no strings to pluck but that was alright, because this wasn’t for songs. Maybe Yuku the musician wasn’t meant to hold a weapon like this, but there was a big difference between the Yuku of three years ago and the Yuku of today. The Yuku of today stabbed the weapon forward as fast as she could, then swiftly slashed the axe blade downwards. Her imaginary enemy may not have been striking back, but it would have been ribbons if it were actually a real enemy.

“I probably did that entirely wrong,” Yuku gave an awkward grin, “but wow. This is so fantastic. I cannot thank you enough, this is actually incredible,”
  12. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    "As well as anyone else without training," Julius responded, somewhat angered that she had taken her weapon without permission. Well, he supposed it was her weapon, after all, and decided to drop the issue.

"Anyways, yes it would; which is why I usually melt them down and glaze the weapon with them. The only reason I've not done it with my Boomerang is because it's something of a close reminder of a dear friend; and with Kalvar's bow, do you really think he's going to be hitting anyone with it?" He thought for a moment, knowing Kalvar probably would straight up deck the fuckers if he was cornered. "...Actually, let's not answer that."

"But yes! So I'm taking that to mean you want them melted?"
  13. Electronic Ink

“Yes, thanks,” Yuku nodded decisively, offering the halberd back to its maker with both hands. She folded her hands behind her back, considering. “So with the magical add-ons this weapon has, how would you suggest I fight with it? I, uh, did a bit of research,” meaning she had badgered one of the guards for tips on how to fight with a polearm “and I think I’ve got a basic grasp on how to use one without swinging it around like a pennant.” Which meant she had taken a spare broom handle from the inn’s broom closet and sparred her thatched mattress against the wall. “You’ve gotta, uh, catch and shove aside your enemy’s weapons and that. Oh, and don’t let them pin your weapon!” She sounded proud of herself for remembering that part.

“How will the enchantments change, uh, technique? Like, would I need to change what I know in any way because of the magic in the weapon?”

She was asking too many questions, she knew, but she definitely wanted to ask this of the person who would know her particular weapon best- the maker.
  14. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    Julius thought for a second, citing personal experience about how he, himself, had fought with a blade imbued with something like Elemental Gems. His technique... hadn't really changed all that much. So, it was likely that a weapon with an enchantment or Elemental Gems wouldn't necessarily need to change.

"Well... Fighting with a weapon with Elemental Gems in it is basically akin to fighting as though you'd have had an elemental enchantment. So... no, to the best I'm able to say?" He thought for a moment, before banishing the thought. Grabbing her halberd from her hand, and already being in the process of melting down the stones, it was quite the ease in making a form of lacquer that would, eventually, coat the outside of the weapon.

He poured the lacquer over the weapon, careful to not spill even a drop. This stuff was precious-- even if not to him, then to some other poor sap who didn't have the sheer financial gain that he did.

It was crazy; realizing just how he had once been in a position of nobility, then, but wasn't now. Or was he still? He'd had ample savings, this much was true. He'd probably have ample enough savings to purchase a plot of land and even build a house upon it, should he feel the need. But then that would require hiring servants, like maids and butlers, to take of his house... Probably. Maybe, by then, if he had already attempted to recover some of his ancestors' magical prowess, he could just will a bunch of brooms into cleaning for him. He'd supposed that this might work, but was quickly taken out of this daydream-y trance when he realized he was already finished.

In the few moments until the halberd was officially complete, he'd asked a simple question of Yuku. Not one borne of malice, spite, or rage; but a simple one, nonetheless. "What will you do with my weapon?"
  15. Electronic Ink

“So it’ll just freeze whatever it touches?”

The child in Yuku beamed at the thought, imagining battling nonexistent enemies that vaguely resembled River Zora and turning them into icy statues, ready to crumble under her next attack. “That is...useful. Really useful. Thank you so much.”

This was going to be of so much help. With the perilous situations she frequently found herself in, arms were a necessity, and such a weapon as this would be of aid in many ways. She watched intently as the weapon was lacquered with the melted-down stones. She was no expert in blacksmithing ways, but the delicate movements and professionalism exhibited by the Hylian man as he poured it over seemed to bely both his strength and the hammer-wielding image she had previously held of blacksmiths.

“What will you do with my weapon?” he asked, and Yuku paused.

“I mean, I hardly intend to use it for malicious purposes,” she said, somewhat awkwardly. “I have three children, and I, uh, tend to get into bad situations fairly often with them in tow, and this halberd will be way more effective at keeping monsters off me and my kids than my old sword.” Was...was she about to be lectured on weapon safety? Did the smith somehow not approve of violence despite being in the trade of enabling it?

“I’m not much one for battle, but I’m sure you know exactly what I mean when I say sometimes it’s just unavoidable, with how Hyrule seems to crawl with things intent on causing harm. I just want to make sure that I’m safe and so are my children,”

She...didn’t like how that argument sounded, and flushed. “I’m sorry, that- that really makes me sound like a sword nut arguing for why everyone in Castle Town should own bombs. I promise that’s not what I mean,”
  16. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    "Haha," he laughed; then paused. "No, I ask you not because I am suspicious of your intent-- I have quite the eye for those lacking talent, after all," he went on to explain what he meant by that. "I'm... technically a Captain in the Knights of Hyrule. Though that title is largely ceremonial, it still bears weight. And what with having personally cleared a portal that a troop of Royal Guards could not, I am treated with more respect because I pulled off something that they could not, but that does not matter. I asked you that because I am... at best, curious, and, at worst, largely skeptic of you using it at all." He explained, noting her phrase of 'really makes me sound like a sword nut arguing for why everyone in Castle Town should own bombs'.

"Even were that the case, they... do not have proficiency in their practical use. They would also likely injure themselves immensely. I know that was the case when I obtained mine. Regardless," he sighed, "I am the weapons expert around here, and while there are a few more skilled than I at the blade, not many surpass me. Obviously, don't poke their eggs or anything, or let them near it in the first place. Other than that... I don't have a lot to say. If it needs repairs? I'll do them, for a fee. But the Splinter Crystal in there shouldn't need repairs. Still, though, if you somehow manage to break the haft in two, or severely damage the blade to the point where it would need repairs," he stopped. She probably wouldn't know what that looked like. "Basically, if a majority of the blade breaks off."

"I bet you thought I was actually going to lecture about 'not using it for violence,' or something, yeah? I'm well-aware that that's the purpose behind weapons, as my father was also well-aware, Hylia rest his soul." He stopped talking, idly pouring some weak wine to swallow and wash his mouth out with. "I'm not too sure how to end this speech, though, so any recommendations are welcome."
  17. Electronic Ink

Yuku winced. He was sceptical of her ability to use it at all, which was... okay yeah, totally justified. Beyond her broomstick practice and her occasionally playing with coral spears back at the domain, Yuku hadn’t ever been in a fight with one of these. But then, she knew expertise would come with time, and she was pretty sure she would be enough of a threat with it right off the bat to justify owning it.

“Don’t worry, Captain Surgate!” she said, a determined grin showing off her pointed Zora teeth. “I’m sure that between the weapon itself being so powerful and me growing used to it I’ll be proficient in no time! I’m no weak damsel, you know, I spent years hauling orphicas and coral-key pianos around, and nowadays I’ve been in more fights than I care to count! Plus of course, I’m a Zora - spears and polearms are the weapons of my people, we all learn a bit as we grow, given the right home. I might not be a battle-hardened veteran yet, but I’m no spring sea cucumber either. I can do this weapon proud and it’ll serve me well!”

She laughed at his comment. “I thought you were gonna start on about ‘the greater good’ or something and start telling me to go crusading for the Goddesses or something,” she giggled. The laugh dropped at his final comment. “Oh my - I know, right? Ending speeches is the hardest part! I did have an idea, though, if that’s okay..?”

She’d spent the two weeks she’d been idle practicing her polearm-play to revive her childhood lessons on it, but she’d spent the evenings considering something else. “I was thinking,” Yuku began, “that magical weapons should have a name, yes? I want to name this weapon - could you engrave the name just below the back end of the halberd?”

She dug in her bag for a moment, finding the Drift Quill that was so immensely useful, and carefully wrote the Zoras script in the air. “Lonomeru. I’d like to name it Lonomeru.”
  18. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    "Uh," he replied, "sure. I was going to engrave some bullshit in Twilit on the blade, but I guess I could give it a name as well." He stared at the lettering, making sure to get every phrase correct. "Is this right?" He asked, still staring at the somewhat blurry script. Man, did he need glasses.

"Y'know, out of both of the languages I learned, I'm still only barely proficient in writing stuff in Twilit. I know all their characters, but not necessarily how to write -- or even speak -- it. I should probably find someone to better help me understand the language, but from what I can tell, it's still a mystery to a larger part of Hyrule. So that's probably going to be difficult," he rambled on. He still stared at the blade. It was the first weapon to truly test his final capabilities as a blacksmith, and he was proud of the result.

He smiled, softly, realizing how much joy he brought to others today. "Well, regardless, I can always keep it over night if it's not to your liking. This has been the first weapon that I'm actually proud of, so I'll be sure to take good care of it." His gaze still lingered on it; he made this. The concept of naming weapons... Well, it was a new one to him-- after all, being a Knight of Hyrule and all, he'd usually go through numerous sets of weapons, each one having as little value to him as possible. "Maybe I should name my sword, too. I've been putting off forging a new blade as well, but I think this has inspired me in a new way."
  19. Electronic Ink

“Twilit is uncommon, isn’t it? I don’t know anyone at all who would possibly find that a useful language to have learned, it’s so uncommon. Maybe you should learn Zoran,” she said cheekily, grinning. “Only kidding. Most folk speak Hylian anyway, I think? Although I’ve heard Deku can be stubborn about learning and speaking Hylian. I don’t think their,” she paused to wave a hand in front of her face to indicate a snout as she searched for the right word, “muzzles? I don’t think their muzzles are too good at Hylian pronunciations,”

His chatter about naming weapons made her feel less sheepish about wanting Lonomeru named. “I’m glad to have inspired you!” She squeaked a little as her voice pitched higher with delight. “It’s the least I could do in return for this beautiful thing!”

Yuku watched carefully as the craftsman cut the Zoran script in the air into the blade’s haft. It was formed neatly, with unfamiliarity and therefore smooth, attentive clarity. It was perfect.
    “Thank you,” she said, warmly. “I can’t tell you how much help this will be to me. I’ve... got some plans to get my life back on the track I wanted it on, and now I have a way to make sure that going out of my way won’t be quite so dangerous anymore. For me and for my kids.”

Yuku paused. He’d been personal with her, so... maybe she should tell him what was really so touching about his charity. “I’ve three of them. Triplets, I suppose you Hylians would call them, although they all hatched from the same spawn. They’re not old enough yet to know what threatens them in this world, and... I think you’ve helped me keep it that way. I’m hoping... maybe now I can stop just defending myself and maybe start seeking out the paths to new experiences. Whether that’s exploring the world, slaying monsters, mounting rescue missions... there’re many ways I can be useful to others and to my kids. I can’t tell you how much this means to me, mister Surgate. Thank you.
  20. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    "Yeah. And all the Deku that I know speak Hylian perfectly fine, though I can't guarantee that they'll all find it perfectly suiting to their, uh, mouths." He thought for a bit. "If only there was a member of the Twili race around. Well, whatever; I suppose I'll just have to continue pouring over the books I bought diligently, no matter what. Though, I can't necessarily guarantee that that'll produce any different results... The texts that are directly concerning Twilit as a language are few and far between, after all. Most of it's just the recounting of how and for which crimes they were banished to the Twili Realm for."

He paused. Listening to Yuku's many thanks made him smile. "You're very welcome." The mention of kids made him raise an eyebrow, however. Hearing her explanation made him smile even more. "I'm sure you'll be able to do just that, especially with such a finely crafted weapon. If it ever breaks, cracks, whatever-- bring it back to me, and I'll fix it, good as new. I... doubt it'll break, but it's not got Goron Iron in it, but it's still pretty unlikely. Unless someone uses Shield Breaker or something akin to that, I... doubt it will break. Unless you go up against a Darknut. Not sure how my weapons'll fare against them; but I'm sure I've fought a few in my time. Hell, that Mirror Silver sword upon my wall in the sheath has faced more than its fair share, and come out every time, and that's when I was a worse smith than I am now. I'm rambling; you enjoy your weapon and get some training in. Unless you want to have a go now...?" He questioned, expecting a firm 'no'.