Loft Has a Question

Discussion in 'Arena Hall' started by Quill, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Two great wooden doors stood alone, silent sentries of a world cloaked in eternal shadow and night. Marble pillars speared through the darkness and rose as high as the eye could see, reaching up past vision's limit and vanishing into the dark depths of the sky. The floor was a kaleidoscope of mosaics, depicting alien mountain ranges and primordial forests of green. A lone thief danced among the ancient artwork, his laughter echoing through the otherwise still and silent hall as he stepped gaily between waterfalls of magma and rockslides of sand, all frozen forever in time in their great squares.

Loft loved this place! It was all dark and mysterious, and the way the shadows had completely made the two entering-doors vanish? So cool! Loft could feel his heart race just by being in a place so grand, so... so... awesome! He spun through the silent pillars and danced through the hanging shadows, laughing at the way the changing light played across his body. He stepped onto a mosaic of an underwater palace of seashell and spun on its highest spire, twirling and laughing until he was so dizzy that he was forced to stop.

Dizzy and panting, he staggered against the nearest pillar. He patted its marble ridges. "Thanks bud," he said, wrapping his arms around it and giving it a hug. He looked around, trying to see someone, but he even though he had come a long way from the entrance he still couldn't see anything that pointed him to a throne or any sort of authoritative thing. Didn't these people believe in signposts?

He cleared his throat and addressed the surrounding shadows. "Excuse me," he said, "I'm supposed to come here to request a Challenge Match, right? I don't have the wrong spooky hall, do I?"
  2. Quill

"Is that a no?" Loft asked, his voice echoing slightly in the empty darkness of the Hall. He wandered around through the pillars, searching for something (anything) that would point him in the right direction: a floating index finger, a talking skull, glowing orbs of faintly glowing blue light, or even a boring sign.

He briefly considered turning around and trying a different forum, but he knew somehow that that wouldn't work. Plus, when he looked behind him, he couldn't see the door... that may be a problem down the line. Bored, he leaned up against a pillar and pulled out three Deku Nuts.

He tossed them in the air and began to juggle them. "Anyone home?" He let one be tossed into the empty space, and it smashed open with a blindingly bright flash of light. "Hello?"
  3. Arena Lord

Arena Lord Supreme Judge of the Battle Arena

Loft's Deku Nut explosion pierced the silence of the hall with a sharp crack, the Fool's voice demanding a greeting yet once more in quick succession. Something stirred in the shadows at that, a huge figure rustling noiselessly, despite its size. Likely before Loft would even have a chance to move he would find a weapon at his throat. A blackened blade with a serrated edge, long and wide with razors on both sides of it, the Darknut's weapon seemed as dark as the stare he gave the Hylian boy.

"You dare raise weapons in here, child? Such manners can only be treated with death in the Arena Lord's domain. I do not know how you found your way to this place, Fool, but I assure you it was a mistake. Speak your request quickly, lest I take your tongue before you have the chance. Your Renown does not suffice for your boldness here." The large armored figure spoke with a voice both hollow and deep at the same time, his red gaze peering from behind a dark, ornate helmet.

To a third person, it might have looked as if Loft had placed his throat by a statue's blade simply for enjoyment, for all the moving that the Darknut did. As if to remind the Fool of his situation, though, the armored creature pressed the edge ever so gently into the skin, prompting him to speak with haste.
  4. Quill

Welp. Someone was definitely home. The two Deku Nuts he were juggling fell to the ground with an almighty CRACK, as if the world itself was nothing but an exploding nut that burst into white light that burned the eyes and sent Loft staggering back. Something sharp and cold was pressed against his neck, regardless, and he grinned up sheepishly at the Darknut.

"Whoops," he said, fighting the urge to laugh as the spots slowly faded from his vision. "You gotta admit, that wasn't my fault. Anyway," he said, flapping his hands, "weapon shmeapon! They're Deku Nuts, not Super-Bombs; they couldn't hurt a Chu, let alone a...." He gestured at the mammoth armored guy about to slice his pretty little head off.

"Anyway," he said again, fighting the urge to giggle like the jell-O loving ninja he was, "I was hoping to play in one of the Glorious Arena Challenge Matches." He nearly spun as he said the last super-important four words, but then he remembered that the guy had a sharp, jagged, mean, big, bad, black, bipolar sword pressed not-so-gently against his neck. "Can I," he asked, his voice growing small, like a fun person scolded before his not-so-fun parents, "or am I grounded from the jell-O?"
  5. Arena Lord

The Darknut seethed, his blade still pressed close against the neck of the Fool. What was this idiotic boy doing in a place like this? To come into his masters lair and insult him with weapons and gibberish... Surely the Fool had not thought to actually challenge the Arena Lord himself, as his actions might have suggested. No, there could only be one just response to a situation like this. The Darknut ached to cleave the boy's head from his shoulders, but he would observe proper decorum even if this wretched Hylian could not.

With a hidden smirk beneath his helmet, the Darknut lowered his blade as Loft stopped speaking. The boy wanted a Challenge Match, did he? He was tempted to grant that request and oversee it personally. But no. The Fool had violated this domain and recompense must be paid in full. Snapping his armored fingers, chains sprung up from the darkness and encircled the Loft. As they wrapped around him, they sought holds to clamp onto his arms and legs.

"I will give you no such thing," the armored creature responded. "I will fetch the Council of Six Pillars, and you will be tried before them and executed, Loft Kiratel. You will wait for their arrival here."
  6. Quill

(( :tpr: ))

Before Loft could even whinny in surprise, chains budded forth from the marble below, winding up his legs and body like hard, cold vines. "Holy mother of artificially-flavored grape jell-O," Loft exclaimed, "can I? I mean, I don't know who they are, but how cool would that be if I met them! I could brag to Marcus-" here he burst into an absolutely breathtakingly lovely melody- 'I met the Council and you-u-u didn't ha-hahaha-ha!'"

He paused and frowned up at the Darknut, his body firmly encapsulated in chains. "Why are there six of them? What happens if they tie, do they play Hylian-Kokiri-Goron? Do they stand on pillars, or is that just a random title?" His blood was beginning to race now- the initial 'Oh my Farore chains' response had long since subsided, and now he was just plain excited! He had only come here for a boring Challenge Match, but now he was being tried by a legendary, if confusing, Council to be executed and everything! How cool was this?
  7. Arena Lord

The Darknut gripped the hilt of his sword tensely, immediately tempted to spin on the Fool and slay him where he stood. Was he truly brainless or did he purposefully taunt? Such an insidious tactic, to continue taunting away from justice after it had already been ordered. It made the Darknut itch to cleave Loft's head off all the quicker. Once the Council proclaimed judgment, perhaps he could insist on being the executioner. Yes, that would suffice. Keeping its shoulders back, the Darknut took to the steps at the end of the hall onto a dais, prepared to transport himself to a place where he could call to the Council.

Something stirred in the air, however, and the armored creature froze where he stood. A familiar sensation flooded over him, and immediately the Darknut dropped his sword on the ground, dropping to one knee as the air in front of him split open viciously. The rupture before him led to only darkness, so far as the Darknut could see, but only one had such power in a place like this. Was he displeased at what had taken place here? The creature wondered if he would be the one facing execution, suddenly.

"Why would you send this one to be tried?" a voice called out from the darkness suddenly, powerful though not quite ominous. It had a hint of amusement to the tone.

Collecting itself, the Darknut replied with hesitation, "He has insulted your domain, Arena Lord. This Fool mars the arena with his impudence."

A laugh split through the darkness, surprisingly good-natured for all the circumstances it came from, "A Fool, you say? Perhaps. He requests a Challenge Match, and I will not let his Foolishness hold him back from that." Another faint chuckle followed that. "Mr. Kiratel! The nature of your request merits the nature of its response. Meet your fight's arbitrator!"

A scream of delight came from another voice in the portal, and a shape came flying out a moment later. Soaring through the air, the figure landed as the portal behind it closed, a wide-brimmed straw hat covering most of its face as it stared at the ground. Standing slowly, the figure lifted its head up to reveal its face and meet Loft's eyes. With skin so long passed it turned gray, glowing orange eyes, and a mouth that almost split its face in two, the Skull Kid smiled deeply at Loft.

Vanishing for an instant, it reappeared hardly a moment later, this time right behind the chained Loft. Lifting a hand, the thing squeezed Loft's cheeks like an annoying aunt might to their budding young nephew. "We're going to have so much fun, you and I, you know?" he whispered under his breath, hardly suppressing a giggle. "Imagine all the jell-O you can eat, only when you do--IT EXPLODES!" He burst into mirth over that.

Grasping Loft's face, the thing turned it to the side, using his other hand to point vaguely at nothing in particular. "You see that over there? It's a house! No, no. A fort. Yes, excellent place to hide. Maybe you're tired, think you'll take a breather and trap that pesky kadoodlesnapper. You hide there, of course. Only a pajarcky wouldn't," the Skull Kid said, sounding legitimately sad at the last portion but quickly picked up again, "but when you do, THAT EXPLODES TOO!"

The Skull Kid stepped back, shrieking with laughter now as it threw it's head back with glee, clapping its hands together once. Immediately dark, shadowed hands shot from the floor, grasping at Loft and beginning to pull him down with them into the blackness. Finally pausing from his delight, the Skull Kid managed to pull himself together before Loft would be completely sucked down. "Off to the fight with you, then!" It was too much for the unliving child, after that, and he fell to the floor writhing in laughter--laughing long past when the room had emptied.