Living Metal [Open, Review]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Razgriz, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

An old idea for a UMT that I rehashed and am now putting out here for further review

Living Metal (Working Title)
    Original - Razgriz, Magic-tier - Utility
    [Alteration], [Empowerment], [Material]

P5: 50 rupees
    P4: 75 rupees
    P3: 150 rupees

Prerequisites: Power and Wisdom 3

The master smiths of the Gorons held higher secrets than the production of the nigh-indestructible Goron Iron, although whether they simply refused to reveal their secrets or were killed to ensure that they remained buried remains unknown; yet it seems one has made it's way to mortal hands once more...

The user is imbued with the strange power of the ancient smiths, it has become inseparable from them. The effects of the treasure are three-fold and only affect items on the user's person made of pure Goron Iron or those made entirely of magic-tier materials and contain Goron Iron. It affects the items in the following ways:

First, the item reforms into the perfect shape for it's purpose: Armor fits to the individual like a second skin, but it doesn't protect any part of the body that the original didn't; Shields morph to stop or deflect blows more efficiently; weapons re-balance and develop an edge that only a splinter crystal can improve. In short, Mortal hands could never hope to match the item's craftsmanship without divine materials or assistance.

Second, the item can regenerate any damage incurred, with most damage repairing within a few seconds, and even if the item is reduced to a heap of slag ir will repair within a minute and so that it was if the damage never happened in the first place. This does not make the Goron Iron any more resistant to breaking, but means that it becomes extremely difficult to take advantage of damage. The fragments simply dissolve and reform around the damage without damaging or interfering with anything in the way, instead passing through as if there was nothing there to begin with.

Finally, the user can change the weight of the object from roughly a tenth of it's original mass to about two times; and can do this at will. However, regardless of the item's actual current weight, the item will always feel weightless to the user and they can act accordingly.

Should an affected item leave the user's person, it immediately returns to the way it was before it entered (Shape, weight, etc.)
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Re: Living Metal (Working title) UMT

Raz, you need to put the required fields into your title so we know how to deal with this. Please check the Treasure Creation Information Thread for more details. Also, you don't really need the "(Working title) UMT" part; you can say that in-thread XD

Please reply to this when the necessary changes have been made. Thank you.
  3. Razgriz

Changed the title like Quill asked, also changed the prereqs.
  4. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

So while I hate doing this, I don't know that there's really another way around it.

This treasure cannot be accepted. Goron Iron is a pretty unique (and rare) resource, with the major attribute that it is unbreakable. The downsides to this, however, is that the metal is both heavy and difficult to shape successfully. However, Living Metal's purpose is expressly to nullify those downsides, leaving Goron Iron as an invincible material that is now lightweight and easily bendable. Both from a lore/setting standpoint as well as a meta/balancing one, it isn't going to work. No amount of cost or prerequisites could make up for that.

Both for now and in the future, Goron Iron really should be left alone; its unbending attributes in character similarly apply to its out-of character status.
  5. Razgriz

Alright, I understand that as it were the treasure is too powerful to be allowed. I doubt this will change anyone's mind but the metal is still as hard and unbending as it was before, the UMT merely changes the shape and weight; and gives the ability to "heal".
  6. Guy

Guy Admin admin

How do you repair something that never breaks? :sarcasm:

I've taken the liberty of adding Living Metal to the new library, as seen right here. As with most treasures, I've reworded it a bit instead of doing a direct copy-paste. Note that it now affects any metal, including Goron Iron. The minimum weight is also now 1/3 instead of 1/10.

Somewhat ironically, this treasure seems least useful if you're using it on something made from Goron Iron... since it's almost impossible to damage.