'Limb Restoration'

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Sinistrari, May 11, 2016.

1. Sinistrari

Sinistrari Devious Grins & Hunter of Synonyms reg

Name: Limb Restoration
    Type: Defensive Spell OR Major Defensive Spell
    Fields: Heal, Transform
    PWC Aspect: Wisdom
    Cost: Higher - Highest

Description:
    As the name suggests, Limb Restoration is a spell which restores a disembodied body part of a still living creature by drawing upon the caster’s own energy and the memory of the target’s body. If the detached limb retains at least a third of its form - and can be reclaimed - it can be woven back onto its owner at nothing but the cost of a few minutes and moderate exhaustion on the healer’s part. It will be restored to almost its original state but scars will be visible.

If however the missing limb is completely gone or unobtainable a new one will be grown in its place. This can take anywhere from ten minutes to half a day depending on its size with rates of exhaustion on the caster varying accordingly. Unlike the original this limb will be capable of nothing more than the most basic of everyday movements, severely lacking dexterity and even muting the true capabilities of any spells that are emitted or cast from it. Though it can be gradually trained over time it will never reach more than 80% of the original’s potential.

Multiple limbs can be restored at once but only if their combined mass is no larger than an average Hylian’s leg. Internal organs can also be imitated but a whole torso is a lost cause. It is worth noting that the age of the wound from where the limb was detached has no effect on the overall success of the spell, whether it happened two minutes ago or two years ago, though the target may have a harder time adjusting to its replacement.

Regardless of whether a little toe or a whole arm has been restored, this spell can only be cast up to once every two days. The caster must also stay within at least 50cm (roughly 1.5 feet) of the target constantly throughout the spell, emitting the spell either through a faint, consuming white glow or direct physical contact. Breaking this rule, or by the demand of the caster’s will, will halt the spell at its current progress. If an index finger has only been restored up to its first knuckle then it shall stay as such but with a clean, skin-wrapped stump at its end.

(If I'm being stupid and this sort of thing already exists somewhere then I apologise in advance! I didn't spot it. From what I've seen the majority of 'Heal' field spells, at least, seem to be only loosely described as restoring the target or cleaning their system. I wasn't sure if any of those included the potential to do something like the Limb Restoration spell I have described here.)
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

First, let me say I appreciate this. Unfortunately, there's a couple... fundamental flaws to a treasure of this nature, I believe, regardless of how well it is written or how balanced it is.

A minor issue is a dilemma several treasures face. This effect is so powerful it indeed warrants being Major and having a particularly high cost. Despite being so powerful, however, it usually isn't very useful, and would be unlikely to be something a character actively seeks for its cost -- especially compared to treasures of a similar nature like Life and Nayru's Love.

The bigger problem, I think, is the effect this would have on the world. Losing a limb is one of the worst experiences someone can have in life, and it inherently defines their character both physically and in terms of personality. An amputee character is inherently flawed and interesting, and something one should be encouraged to play. That said, any amputee would do almost anything to restore his or her limb... In a world where such a powerful magic exists, even if it is quite rare, it highly discourages these sorts of characters. This line of reasoning is why there are no treasures which restore lost body parts, why Life only cures non-magical poisons and diseases, etc.

tl;dr - It isn't written anywhere, but no magic in Hyrule will ever be able to restore a missing organ, whether it be a liver, a finger, an arm, or anything else. (Not without completely transforming the user's body, anyway.) As such, I can't approve this treasure.
  3. Sinistrari

Sinistrari Devious Grins & Hunter of Synonyms reg

Ah I see. At least I am aware of those flaws now! You've mentioned quite a bit about how the IC world within HC works that I wasn't previously of. I shall bear this all in mind should any more ideas come my way!