Gyoma, Friend of Animals

Discussion in 'Accepted Characters' started by Doc Genz, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Name: Gyoma

Race: Lizalfos

Place of Origin: Lost Woods

PWC: 3/2/5

Treasures and Rupees: Rupees: 0
    Perks: Claws, Gerudo Affinity, Jump, Scent

Treasures: Epona's Song, Animal Emissary, Sharp's Song, Mini Bombs, Lens of Truth, Wall Kick

Equipment: Eagle Bone Flute: Gyoma uses this crude bone flute to catch the attention of animals, and summon trained animals like his mount from listening distance. It also importantly allows him to play many Songs of different merit. He has taken care in the flute and hasn't risked carving anything into it, so it looks very plain.

Skull Helm: This animal skull was made into a decently-fitting helmet. While some Lizalfos let horned helms like these rest all the way over their faces, Gyoma's face is poking out from underneath. It for the most part fits, and does its job as well. So long as nobody accurately strikes for his face he should be okay, though he has a shield as well.

Kukri: Gyoma also takes care of his weapon as if it were his own life, as it may save his skin one day. A well-sharpened Kukri of a sturdy alloy never leaves his side. The forward-curving blade is a handy tool for whacking brush or rope in a pinch, if used like a machete. It's notable for having a fuller bending across the center of the blade, but not much else beyond its brassy tinge.

Lizal Shield: A crude-looking wood and metal shield decorated with helpful spines accompanies him into battle. It normally lays on his back throughout most of his activities. The spine-shapes aid him greatly in catching incoming weapons. The wood grain is very bright and gives it a wavy and eye-drawing appearance on the front.

Pet: Bullion: Bullion is a Bullbo and Gyoma's mount. Flame-like ripples encapsulate Bullion's short fur, making her look intense while in a sprint. Bullion was named after gold bricks presumably, and hopefully is not just a portmanteau of "bull" and "lion." With a Lizalfos, you never know.

Bullion's tusks are rather long and extend backward far enough for Gyoma to grab on as they were handlebars. Her blazing red eyes make her quite the chopper when in a full dash. While Bullion is very friendly, and doesn't fight, her intimidating appearance always saves her the trouble. Most hostiles just flee when Bullion is running by. She is a very good girl and loves belly rubs and treats.

Appearance: First and foremost is Gyoma's helmet. The Skull Helm described before sets the stage with its daunting first impression. As a non-amphibious Lizalfos, Gyoma seemed to be naturally marked with orange blotches on his scales between the light-green background of his skin. His belly is a pale greyish-white, common of certain types of Lizalfos.

drawing (open)
    [​IMG]

Gyoma wears a loosely armored raiment as armor. The leather and cloth outfit does give his skin a lot of room to breathe and cool, though he feels a bit less of the temperature with his cold blood. It's been common for Lizalfos scouts to climb too high up a mountain and freeze to death out of a combination of unfeeling and guile. The cloth of his segmented loin cloth and other parts of his armor are a calming blue color not unlike cobalt. The leather parts are brown and though a bit too expensive to custom dye for him, it combines well with the color of the cloth. His shoulder pads continue this theme, providing him good support in battle all the same. Finally his greaves defend his legs, employing animal bone like his helmet on top the blue and brown materials. The bone guards are carved with some sharp pointed shapes aiming downward, clearly for effect and not to symbolize anything.

Gyoma has a pair of wooden bracelets on each of his wrists, their loose circular shapes intermingling with whatever he's equipped in his hands. A small blackened leather jacket, which appears like a busted T-shirt, is incorrectly sized and tightly hugs his back. His bright yellowy-golden eyes, while not uncommon, gleam out from the brim of his helmet. He seems to look like some kind of gladiator biker, if that were a thing.

Personality: Gyoma is unappreciative of common people of all types, including Lizalfos. It seems that he loves only animals until one has heard of someone else. The one person who gets the majority of his actual respect is his Boss, whom he calls Big Bro. The Boss of the Great Ice Rider Gang, paragon of both kindness to animals and skill in riding is the one to whom he kneels. The source of his respect is unknown, as he rarely shows anything resembling it to anyone else.

Friend of animals, Gyoma is kind and earns the trust of many kinds of animals. Bullion the Bullbo was one of a few of the first animals he befriended. Gyoma is a slippery, sneaking sort and his calmness translates very well into a disarming demeanor for other creatures. He will even try to befriend very hostile creatures, often to disastrous ends. His many attempts at calming Deku Wasps have not yet come to fruition. Gyoma is not good at swimming, so befriending fish has also been a demanding task.

Ganon and his many followers have earned the detest and dislike of Gyoma. After a certain incident, Gyoma will become hostile toward conscious followers of Ganon, especially his many commanders and lackeys who take advantage of those below them. He presumably became like this due to infighting, but it doesn't hurt to ask for details either. His rough exterior can make it hard for him to meet people without being in a larger group of friendly people. A talented fighter, just surviving childhood as a Lizalfos has proven his strength. If he meets eyes with another Lizalfos he will often challenge them to a fight.

Background: Born in Moruge, Gyoma was hastily transferred to the Lost Woods camps across the lake. His early youth was filled with patrols in the name of Ganon. For the most part, not many had ever dared to wander the Lost Woods unprotected. The camp became home to tough training, and a whole lot of horsing around. Lots of infighting occurred during the combat training, but Gyoma tried to stay out of it, and would sometimes sneak out of duty. He would mingle with animals and try to get them to understand him early on just by offering them food.

One day, the Captain of the brigade called the underlings to meeting. A Lynel had come to give their patrol blessings, something equivalent of being promoted. But something was off to Gyoma. It sounded like they were going to get less food as a result of the promotion. What sort of brilliant promotion would result in less pay, he thought. He would wander out into the clearings to search for bugs and fish with the help of the other animals. Many times they would find fruit, which he would feed to the animals. Something felt wrong about that promotion that he couldn't shake off.

The boring patrols continued, leading to unrest with several of them. One day, after a week of food scraps running low, Gyoma came back. His arms filled with a pouch of bugs to eat, he was surprised to find what his brigade was doing. One of the Bullbo that he'd played with daily was being taken to use as food. Though Gyoma wasn't opposed to the sacrifice now and then, as his race was mostly carnivorous, he didn't want to see his friend taken. He approached the Captain of the brigade to bargain with him.

"Oi! Sir! Could we spare that Bullbo and get something else for dinner tonight?! I'll trade you all these bugs and more to keep that Bullbo!" he shouted impolitely, a hallmark of their brigade.

"Excuse me? Just who are you?!" the Captain answered, angered. He used his Lens of Truth to examine the Lizalfos underling challenging him.

"Sir!! It's me! You know my name right?! None who challenge me to spar forget my name!" he barked back, already a bit ticked.

"I just don't remember your name is all! Hahaha! Are you a new recruit?!" the Captain screeched back condescendingly.

"RRRaagh!" Gyoma screamed, in disbelief that anyone around here would forget a name. "I am Gyoma, you will remember it! In the Dark Realms! I challenge you to a duel!" he shouted at the Captain, who was still readying the Bullbo with some sturdy rope.

The Captain, always on his guard, brandished his rapier that he kept fresh exclusively for killing. No unruly subordinate was going to ruin his day. Like the Lynel, he was too proud and uncaring for those he considered below him. This fueled Gyoma's rage and he charged almost immediately. His kukri and shield ready, and the sack of bugs falling to the dirt floor. He wanted to make that smug lizard another victim of the Lost Woods.

The Captain menacingly stabbed forward, a difficult attack to approach. Gyoma carefully back-stepped, not knowing if he could parry such a set. As he tired, the Captain pulled back his stance to rest. Gyoma swooped in, dropping his kukri over his captain's head. It was met with a stylishly timed block, and then a parry. Gyoma shielded as the rapier pushed him back with surprising force. He waited again for that moment as the Captain threw wave after wave of forward stabs. Gyoma built up his strength, if he hammered his kukri at just the right moment- the Captain weaseled back his stance again, still too cocky with his repetitive lunges and needing to rest- and Gyoma pounded down his angled weapon with all of his living force. Aiming for the guard of his weapon as the Captain blocked, he smashed the rapier down. The prized weapon clattered and rolled down the hill and to the ground.

Without honor and without mercy, Gyoma took a second strike. How dare you not remember my name. This time aimed at his shoulder and lower neck, the blow was cruel and hit its mark. With swing after swing, Gyoma had slain his captain as per the rules of the duel. He snatched up the Lens of Truth, looking down on his fellow Lizalfos in murderous rage. The members of the brigade stepped back in wary acknowledgement of what had happened. Gyoma made a beeline for the roped Bullbo. He snapped the ropes apart with his bloodied kukri and climbed atop the freed creature. Her red eyes lit up and she took off, carrying him.

"You will never find purpose! FROM THE LIKES OF GANON!" he screamed back at his troop in fury as they bolted from the woods.

The Lens of Truth led him safely from the Lost Woods, something the Captain had been saving and hoarding for himself alone. But the question now was, where would he go? He looked to his flute for guidance. He played for birds and watched them dance in the air. He decided to watch the birds in the sky and see which direction they would all fly in. He began to ride out through the remaining trees, unknowing that he was being watched. The trotting of the Bullbo was soon overlaid with the sound of heavier trotting from behind.

Gyoma finally heard it before it was too late, and he turned. Manaku. A brilliant red-maned Lynel peeked out from between the trees, staring down upon Gyoma. The creature beckoned him, possibly as a challenge. Not wanting to risk certain death, Gyoma turned back around and made to rush away. But a noise made both him and the Bullbo freeze in place.

"Good work, Lizalfos! Your gift for killing is noteworthy at best!" the Lynel roared, muscles rippling and glistening in the setting sun.

"Manakuuuu! What do you want?!" Gyoma shouted, not turning his head back.

"Let me get to the mane point, no horsing around! I want you to be a new Brigade Captain! I'll even give you some weapons to start!" the vile Lynel offered pityingly.

Gyoma rode the Bullbo back around, approaching Manaku. He inched up to the feet of the towering beast. The Lynel held out a small bag. Gyoma looked up, peered into the gleaming eyes of the monster. The gross image of him looking down upon Gyoma burned into his mind. Gyoma snorted.

"After the disgrace of your promotions?! You all but stopped our pay for food and starved us! You are but a buyer and seller of lives!" Gyoma detested.

A huge, watery spray spat into the Lynel's face and he dropped the bag into Gyoma's claws. With a kick, the Bullbo took off speedily into the sunset. Manaku stood, face covered in saliva. Still somewhat satisfied, Manaku vanished into the darkness. Gyoma set off to some new location, looking out for landmarks.

Taking a stop upon a hill, Gyoma checked the small bag. It was filled with these miniature bombs, which made him think of cheap firecrackers. He would have to use them as some sort of ammunition if he could. He dismounted the Bullbo and decided to give her a name. He looked all around himself for hints, gazing at the setting sun. Relaxing himself, he finally decided on the name "Bullion."

The next morning, Gyoma took off for a town. He may not have wanted to interact with others, but he had no choice. The sun had already become low in the sky as he finally approached the town of Darunia. Aware that they would probably attack him, he skirted the town from afar, trying to think of solutions. Eventually he spotted a field of animals. Hugging nervously to Bullion, he decided to test his luck. He played a little song on his flute to entertain the animals. After a little while of this, he had no better ideas. He continued playing as the farmhands approached him.

"You there! Monster! What do you think you're doing?" a farmhand yelled.

Gyoma stopped playing and turned over. "I am playing for this sheep! I have nowhere else to go without supplies!" he shouted back, reasonably given the distance they were apart.

"Well stop right there! We can't have you sitting there! Come over to our fire!" they shouted back, offering to get a better look at him.

Gyoma sat before the fire, petting Bullion gently. He didn't know what the Hylians wanted, or if they were going to hurt him. A Goron stomped over to the fire as the farmhands returned to the fire.

"This is the monster, Sir! He's gone mad and is whistling a flute to our livestock!" the other farmhand shouted to their boss.

"I'll take care of him." the Goron promised. Gyoma feared an attack at any moment.

"Do not kill me!" Gyoma pleaded. "I must take care of my Bullbo, please do not slay me!" he begged.

"So you do care for the animals!" the Goron laughed. "I've never met a Lizalfos who wasn't up to no good. If you're seriously not here to steal and eat my livestock, I might be able to offer you a small job. Watch over the animals at night so that we can sleep well, and we can hide you in the day. Nobody will have to know you're here. The only problem is we can't really pay you much more besides the little food we have."

"Really? You would hide me, a wandering nobody?" he answered, not expecting kindness from the Goron.

"We Gorons are a gentle kind, brother. Had I no trust in you, I would smash you on the spot. But I'm not so lowly that I would mangle you for being a monster like this. I've been called a monster many times in my day, anyway." the Goron explained. "At the very least, we can also give you some used saddles and supplies for that Bullbo of yours. Such a kind animal, brother!"

Working as a part-time farmhand helped Gyoma through his days for a short while. He picked up not only the promised saddle, but a helping of experience with livestock. The Goron farm owner was kind enough to teach Gyoma Epona's Song before he left the small ranch, stating it would help him greatly when needing to ride. He took off to the South, avoiding people once more.

As he approached the town of Mido, he was as wary as ever. He approached the main gates, only to be greeted with a surprise. Someone was already being kicked out of the town! A small Anouki riding a deer was being prodded away by the guards. A composed look on his face, he didn't seem phased by it. Whatever trouble the Anouki had gotten into was nothing Gyoma really wanted to get involved in. But with little choice left as he avoided the Hylians, he opted to allow the Anouki to speak to him. But he had little choice in that matter, either, as the Anouki took initiative in talking to him first.

"Yeh m'boy why don't yeh join m'little shindig?" he asked the Lizalfos without question.

"What are these words? What race are you?" Gyoma answered with a question. Anouki were a bit hard to come by and Gyoma had been raised in the wood.

"Eh, me? Am Aniki ther Anouki m'lad." he answered. "Yeh ride a good. Wouldn'tyeh like ter join this rider club I got?"

Gyoma was dazzled. A strange creature? A club of riders like himself? It was most certainly good. He'd blend in well and be able to pursue his hobby. But why was this boy kicked out of the town? It didn't matter to him much now. What's worse is he didn't know what he was getting into. What Aniki had called a "club" was actually just really a gang. He soon learned he was the first mate member of the newly re-established Great Ice Rider Gang originating from the Great Ice Field overseas.

The two, without a good sense of direction, made their way to Moruge Swamp. Terror filled the air as they entered the enchanted ruin. They had to leave their mounts behind as the goop became too difficult for hooves to tread. Mostly there to explore, they planned to head back the way they came and return to their mounts.

Soon they came upon a temple of some sort. Like a dark machination piercing the sky, lights flickered from within. Each window like a terrible eye of dozens. They entered, kukri and club in hand. Lizalfos were guarding the entrance, but were taken by surprise as the two spun with their weapons in full force. They entered deeper into the temple, watching shadows creep across the walls. They finally came upon an enshrinement of some sort, with a portrait and dead plants to honor the dead. Lightning flashed outside, making them jump forward toward the shrine.

A terrible ghost appeared. A flashing and malicious Poe with a conductor's baton. He screamed about who dared undo his great slumber and began to cast flames about the room. As they tried to fight back and keep the flames at bay, he began to play an evil song. The closer they got to him, the more it tired and drained them. They began to run as Gyoma memorized Sharp's Song. They had to flee before it got any worse.

Soon they were riding again, unsure of where they would end up next. Upon reaching the Lost Woods once again, a terrible amount of enemies began to pour from the wood. Lizalfos and Lynels everywhere, as well as Poes and Skull Kids and Skull Kids riding Poes. As the monstrous forces came they scared the mounts of the two riders, and they forked off and got separated. Gyoma looked in between the Lynels, searching for Manaku, but nothing came up. He decided to rush full speed and escape. He made his way to the edge of Lake Hylia and escaped toward Hyrule Field. He was going to have to put a stop to these armies of Ganon somehow.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. Darth_Slaverus

Darth_Slaverus Member vet

The profile looks good to me. Unless the staff think the bio is too silly, but I don't see anything lore-breaking and it's no more goofy than the stuff that goes on in the typical Zelda game. Approved.

Math-wise, though, you actually have some extra rupees to spend, if I'm not mistaken. The Gerudo Affinity Perk gives you 20 free rupees that must be spent on a Treasure with the Gerudo field (said Treasure would presumably get the 15 rupee discount from having Gerudo Affinity, as well).
  3. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    I was so tired I forgot about that! I'll look around for something and edit it in.

Edit - Wall Kick has been added through Gerudo Affinity
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  4. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Good lord.

Approved.
    Cloud likes this.